Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Always found it interesting that Haman kept using her original Qubeley all the way to the end rather than upgrade to one of the later superior models

There wasn't a whole lot of time between the Qubeley's first and last appearances and she probably had a lot going on with no time to spare for familiarizing herself with a new mobile suit. In general you get better results by maximizing what you can get out of a thing you already have than you do by always swapping out in favor of the new hotness that you don't know how to push to 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Weren't the later Qubeley models mostly the same outside of having more funnels? Haman probably wouldn't have thought it was super worth it, plus Glemy took most of them with him.

I guess Haman could have invested in a Doven Wolf that uses funnels or something, but Glemy took those with him too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

Weren't the later Qubeley models mostly the same outside of having more funnels? Haman probably wouldn't have thought it was super worth it, plus Glemy took most of them with him.

I guess Haman could have invested in a Doven Wolf that uses funnels or something, but Glemy took those with him too.

The Mk. II had more funnels and the Mass Production type had shoulder cannons but neither would have significantly changed Haman's style. The two extra funnels might have but it's hard to say for sure.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MechaX posted:

Rewatched it; Char comes from behind him, Amuro dodges and immediately counter-attacks; Char dodged it and is like "He dodged it? Char!" as he... continues to fly towards the Axis thrusters.

He flies around a corner of Axis to set up a trap, which Char blocks. Then continues moving forward, before stumbling on to the cruiser with the nukes. Which it takes him a second to realize the significance of. Which is basically Amuro kiting Char, constantly moving away from him while trying to set the terrain to his advantage.

MechaX posted:

I mean... outside of the funnels lost by the explosion Amuro himself created, he... kinda didn't. Amuro loses a beam rifle and a beam saber (and I guess another beam rifle that was useless)

Also the bazooka he sacrifices for a trap that doesn't work and a second beam saber which Char slashes through as it's still in it's wrist mount. I'm not sure why you're not counting the funnel either, because Amuro and Char used their remaining funnel to repeatedly fire on each other's funnel for a few seconds before the explosion takes both out. Amuro didn't lose intentionally throw it away or anything, and Char occupied Amuro enough that he couldn't draw it away from the explosion or something else to save it. Oh, and the beam machine gun he took off a Geara Doga does damage the armor on the Sazabi's waist when he shoots him with it, and it was still destroyed regardless of how effective it was. Amuro lost two beam melee weapons, two beam guns, a bazooka and a funnel while dueling Char, while Char basically lost about the same: a beam shotgun, two beam sabers, a beam tomahawk and a funnel.

MechaX posted:

while Char loses his gun, both of his beam sabers, a tomahawk, and his left arm.

The arm is about the only thing Amuro doesn't lose an eqiuvalent of. Hell, one of those beam weapons was sacrified taking out Amuro's beam rifle. If the bazooka doesn't count for some reason for Amuro, then the beam tomahawk shouldn't count for Char. I'm not sure why you wouldn't count either, but if you're not counting one, then at least be consistent. If you want to over-analyze the fight, the whole thing was actually decided almost as soon as it started and it just took a while for the consequences to play out, because when Amuro sets up the bazooka trap for Char, Char has to use his shield to block it. Which destroys the shield. The shield that housed the recharge rack for his melee weapons. Which meant that Char could no longer charge them, so his weapons started running out of energy by the time the duel is coming to it's end. Char exclaims at one point that Amuro's beam saber is stronger than his, as Amuro's is starting to push through the blade of Char's beam saber. Which is presumably an effect of the energy running out. At that point, Char has to take a risk. Which leads to him over-extending on a large slash. A moment that Amuro exploits to take the Sazabi's arm off.

MechaX posted:

And the fact that his suit was intact does mean something because I mean... he didn't take nearly as much damage as he ended up giving his opponent, let alone the damage Char was hoping he could give Amuro.

Amuro didn't meaningfully damage Char either for the majority of their duel, and only did so at the end when he took off the arm. After which it did become much more one-sided, because Char was in a fist fight with only one arm, so of course it was. Why is it notable that the Nu wasn't heavily damaged, while it's not notable that the Sazabi wasn't damaged either for the majority of the fight? If not taking damage is a sign of skill, then Char displayed skill too; just not for as long as Amuro. Which is kind of the point.

MechaX posted:

At this point, I'm not even sure what the argument is; is it over whether or not Amuro had to show effort to fight Char, which he did? Or that Char fought equally with Amuro, which he didn't in the end, or that Char is as good as a pilot as Amuro in CCA, which he also isn't?

The argument was "Amuro wasn't just slightly better than Char; he was clearly better". Which I don't think is true. Is Amuro the better pilot? Sure. It's still a close thing though, and Char definitely pushed Amuro in the end.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

If you want to over-analyze the fight,

Please don’t.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The only thing more boring than this Goku vs. Superman bullshit is people trying to minutely analyse what flavour of fascism Zeon was. Please stop posting about it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The only thing more boring than this Goku vs. Superman bullshit is people trying to minutely analyse what flavour of fascism Zeon was. Please stop posting about it.

But I've got fifty pages of analysis on who'd win a Russian Roulette game between Chirico Cuvie and Patrick Colasour that the public needs to see!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

tsob posted:

Amuro didn't meaningfully damage Char either for the majority of their duel, and only did so at the end when he took off the arm. After which it did become much more one-sided, because Char was in a fist fight with only one arm, so of course it was. Why is it notable that the Nu wasn't heavily damaged, while it's not notable that the Sazabi wasn't damaged either for the majority of the fight? If not taking damage is a sign of skill, then Char displayed skill too; just not for as long as Amuro. Which is kind of the point.

Either Char was using the Sazabi's particle gun with such wild abandon that he drained it of power in the middle of the most important life or death situation in his entire life (which isn't a good look for him), or Amuro actually got some important hits on Char with that vulcan barrage he used (and the Nu's vulcans were oddly tearing Geara Dogas apart, those things were buff). And this is kinda getting into "well, I was totally fighting with a lot of skill at first... that's gotta count for something!" kind of territory.

But this thread doesn't need another page of analyzing a fight where the loser was sitting pouting in his space ball being like "i never should have let you win, this is so absurd", so I'll agree to disagree on how close or not Char was to Amuro, take that as you will.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Mk. II had more funnels and the Mass Production type had shoulder cannons but neither would have significantly changed Haman's style. The two extra funnels might have but it's hard to say for sure.

The Mass Production Type didn't just have the shoulder cannons - it had thirty funnels rather than ten. It was ludicrously heavily armed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

But I've got fifty pages of analysis on who'd win a Russian Roulette game between Chirico Cuvie and Patrick Colasour that the public needs to see!

The bullet goes off, missing both of them and hitting one of Jerid's girlfriends instead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The bullet goes off, missing both of them and hitting one of Jerid's girlfriends instead.

You'd think that, but more recent studies suggest it would kill the member of Shrike team with the most recent character development scenes.

(Speaking of Victory, finally watched some of it, and the scene of Uso hijacking the Shokew is just so much less cool and exciting than you'd think from the description. I kind of feel like I need to watch the first few episodes of Victory just to see if it's as weak in context.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 6, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Am I supposed to be ashamed I find these kinds of arguments interesting or fun, just because you (and several others, obviously) don't?

MechaX posted:

Either Char was using the Sazabi's particle gun with such wild abandon that he drained it of power in the middle of the most important life or death situation in his entire life (which isn't a good look for him), or Amuro actually got some important hits on Char with that vulcan barrage he used (and the Nu's vulcans were oddly tearing Geara Dogas apart, those things were buff). And this is kinda getting into "well, I was totally fighting with a lot of skill at first... that's gotta count for something!" kind of territory.

The ReGZ's vulcans tear through a Geara Doga when Hathaway is using it too. Doing even more substantial damage if anything. Geara Doga's don't have great armor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tsob posted:

Am I supposed to be ashamed I find these kinds of arguments interesting or fun, just because you (and several others, obviously) don't?
No, Kamille, just work in some jokes or something

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

No matter what happens a Scopedog is going to explode

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I actually like these kind of things too, as long as they don't go too far. Even from a purely narrative standpoint, it's interesting to try to figure out what the writers intend to convey with fight scenes, and how well they did at it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Okay with the ZZ talk can someone tell me how I can watch the series?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

I actually like these kind of things too, as long as they don't go too far. Even from a purely narrative standpoint, it's interesting to try to figure out what the writers intend to convey with fight scenes, and how well they did at it.

I like analyzing it to the level that annoyed people in this thread for the simple reason that I think it speaks to the choreography and animation that you can analyze it that deeply, and find a small detail that creates consequences that snowball later on. Also, and I suppose, more importantly, because the choreography is good enough that such small details seem deliberate rather than just a narrative backfitted to the events. It does create some what of an issue though, because while Char throws his beam tomahawk at the Nu to destroy it's beam rifle in a move that seems like it'd lose the beam tomahawk, he later uses the beam tomahawk against the Nu again but only has one other beam saber. It appears there was an animation error somewhere along the line, and either Char should have tossed a beam saber instead of the more powerful beam tomahawk. Or he did toss the beam tomahawk and should have just been using a regular beam saber later. Again, small mistakes like that stand out just because I've watched the fight enough to notice minor errors like that and because the rest of the action and choreography is so well put together.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Now on the other spectrum of choreography in Gundam..

*Angry Kira face and Freedom swings beam saber once, Chaos Gundam has both arms, legs, and shoulders chopped off*

Weird BIAS posted:

Okay with the ZZ talk can someone tell me how I can watch the series?

RightStuf officially released the subs a few years back (they did this for all of UC, so no more HK bootlegs or fansubs). Go ahead and by the blu rays on Amazon or from the Rightstuf site directly. ~$40 for each half of the series

MechaX fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 6, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
To summarize Char vs Amuro:

Char is LeBron James

Amuro is the entirety of the Golden State Warriors.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The top pilot of the entire UC remains Uso.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
One thing in the manga adaption of Beltorchika's Children, the Nightingale is clearly the superior machine to the Hi-Nu, and Amuro is clearly on the backfoot, but to actually get his 'win' Char attacks Amuro while he's still outside the cockpit, despite all his going on about honor and a clean fight, the only reason he got Amuro in a position where he would have killed him (without God Baby intervention) was by attacking while Amuro couldn't defend himself.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Randallteal posted:

Well Judau beat Haman straight up at the end, so probably Amuro. Also I just looked up Judau on the wiki. He's supposed to be 14 in ZZ? It makes sense that he's more mature than Amuro and Kamille still since he grew up in the slums looking after his sister, but that still seems ridic. Really makes Bright look like even more of a scumbag for using him as a pilot in the first place (after dumping off poor Kamille and hosing out the Zeta Gundam) and then sending the kids off to attack Neo Zeon while he hung back with the fleet at the end.

It's at least the series that ends with the pilot punching Bright for once.

While ZZ's a bit uneven to say the least, it peaks really high for me. Judau as the relatively well adjusted and confident teenager has some pretty great moments like reacting to Mr. Wong trying to "correct" him by dodging and punching him back, because some strange jerk was trying to slap him, what the hell?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I remembered the gap between Char and Amuro's skill being bigger but y'all have me doubting my memory now. :shrug:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Outside of the Amuro vs Char fight Amuro pretty much just clowns on everyone else, the 90 degree rotate because there's no up in space is perfect for showing how much more advanced Amuro is than everyone else there and then he fights Char and its close. Love it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tomorrow when I wake up I'll watch the first Mobile Suit Gundam movie, making it the very first Gundam I ever watch outside of short youtube clips such as when some dude in a robot is attacked by a bunch of almost naked ladies and is very confused.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Terper posted:

Tomorrow when I wake up I'll watch the first Mobile Suit Gundam movie, making it the very first Gundam I ever watch outside of short youtube clips such as when some dude in a robot is attacked by a bunch of almost naked ladies and is very confused.

thats the gainax short film mememememe

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

drat...

rip rosamie/four/sarah in one PSYCHO GUNDAMU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

thats the gainax short film mememememe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTOplYCfKTA

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

so zeta gundam had a wet fart kinda ending????

what do i watch now

have seen:

gundam 1979
zeta gundam
gundam unicorn
iron blooded orphans
08th ms team

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramadu posted:

so zeta gundam had a wet fart kinda ending????

what do i watch now

have seen:

gundam 1979
zeta gundam
gundam unicorn
iron blooded orphans
08th ms team

It's worth noting that Z Gundam went right into ZZ Gundam so the sort of 'it ends' thing is because a lot of its threads (Like Haman) continue there. That might be a place to go though the tone is pretty different from Zeta early on.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why not continue in order, to zz

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I thought zeta Gundam was supposed to have a good ending?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

I thought zeta Gundam was supposed to have a good ending?

Zeta Gundam's ending is generally liked but it's also fair to say it is fairly abrupt and doesn't address many of the issues raised in the series because it's basically just a final battle with no denouement.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ImpAtom posted:

Zeta Gundam's ending is generally liked but it's also fair to say it is fairly abrupt and doesn't address many of the issues raised in the series because it's basically just a final battle with no denouement.

It's kinda this. I didn't even realize it was the final battle and it just kinda ended and I went wait what?

I don't know nothin about gundams though I guess I know more now but I have no clue about the watch order so I guess I'll do ZZ which is I assume double zetas and I will say it like double rainbows

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The final episode of Zeta has the "next time on.." thing be the first episode of ZZ which aired the next week so it's absolutely meant to be a straight continuation that you watch right after.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Which is really funny, because the first episode of ZZ is a silly recap of 0079 and Zeta.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Which is really funny, because the first episode of ZZ is a silly recap of 0079 and Zeta.

Direct narrative continuation.

Total tonal whiplash.

ZZ's an interesting beast. Better reputation now than it once had, but it's still... interesting.

Other than it, I'd recommend 0080 as a good next Gundam. Short, sweet, and sad.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yazan Gable enjoys his meat, that's the important part

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The first dozen episodes of ZZ is definitely a big wtf moment, it's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EthanSteele posted:

Outside of the Amuro vs Char fight Amuro pretty much just clowns on everyone else, the 90 degree rotate because there's no up in space is perfect for showing how much more advanced Amuro is than everyone else there and then he fights Char and its close. Love it.

What do you mean by this? I assume from CCA?