Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Leperflesh posted:

re: that contract - having failed to reach an agreement on the contract, the writer should not have provided work, and Paizo should not have accepted any work offered. Not only for ethical reasons, but for copyright: Paizo's copyright claim on the published material is challengable if the author had no contract and wasn't paid. It's a huge litigation risk.

For anyone else who has been stiffed on work by a publisher: their claim on your work is based on the work made for hire portion of copyright law.

That written agreement has to exist in order for the contractor to claim the copyright from the contractee; moreover, if they fail to pay, that is a breach of contract, and the author can attempt to reclaim the copyright in court as part of the resolution of that contractual dispute.
Speaking as someone who has signed legal documents from Paizo they have a pretty poor reputation with how they handle them. I think at one point there was a year backlog on sending them out. I know a dozen or so people that were in a similar boat of supposed to be under legal documentation but not.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

moths posted:

If Lou Zocchi turns out to be an escaped nazi I am through with this hobby.

At one of the first Gencons, back when it was a con almost purely for historical wargames, Lou Zocchi physically ejected the guys selling "historical" Nazi "memorabilia" from the premises

Or at least that's how I heard the story

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

garthoneeye posted:

Yeah, they wanted to do sets on more planes than Dominaria, but discovered when the entire cast changes every block it is hard to get people to emotionally invest in any particular instance.

So they moved to focusing on a core group of planeswalkers that could be major characters in any set’s story. But they didn’t really do enough work to make the lead characters interesting.

wizzardstaff posted:

And then once they had firmly established their main cast they returned to Dominaria and introduced them to an entirely new roster of unique and quirky characters crewing the Weatherlight, a ship once notable for being able to planeswalk itself but now 100% planebound. There's just enough time for this diverse crew to learn to work together with each other (to assist the main characters) before the action shifts and leaves them behind, totally absent from the climax of the story in the next act.

It felt like a backdoor pilot for a spinoff except there was no chance of it ever taking off.

Wait, they brought back the Weatherlight, gave her a new crew, then left them all behind? Why even bother? They could have just had the characters they want to focus on keep the ship if they're going to make such a deep cut.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think that the way people read the Magic setting is more like, they read the books and short stories because there are little interesting bits in the card game and flavor, or they just know there's more content for the setting of a competitive card game they like.

And then it establishes a loop, where you can see 'ah, this spell exists because it reflects this moment in the books' or 'oh, this is a monster from that place the characters went' and in general the books work like a framework the cards can exist within flavor-wise, which helps turn cards with no real mechanical flavor into something a bit more interesting.

I mean, that's the ideal, and I think that's why what people used to care about are the planes themselves, the settings all their cards fit in and which can have specific mechanics. So Innistrad is the Gothic Horror Plane, and you can be into ghosts, vampires, werewolves, and the number 13 - as well as mechanics that reflect that plane. Because they let you build a deck that reflects those aesthetics, and therefore, allow you to express yourself; what I've seen of Innistrad says that I could build a Bloodborne deck using the Innistrad Get Invaded By Cthulhus block, if I knew how to build a Magic deck, and that's real fun.

This is all outsider-looking-in kind of perspective, since I'm vaguely interested in MtG fluff when my friends explain it but I'm not invested in any of the specific characters or settings, except that the two that sounded coolest when I heard about them (Mirrodin and Kamigawa, though the latter just because I read some books set there when I was eating any fantasy novel I could find in high school and quite liked the first one). Unfortunately, the weirdest settings apparently often end up with the most janky mechanics.

...also unfortunately, the current Magic storylines are all about the Magic the Gathering Avengers, which is immensely boring and hugely undermines the importance of specific planes, as outlined above. The one that pissed me off was Amonkhet, the Ancient Egypt block, which turns out to be entirely about planeswalker metaplot and has basically nothing going on internally that's worth caring about. That sucks! An ancient Egypt high fantasy setting with a bunch of cool monsters and factions should be really cool and potentially interesting in a pulpy kind of way.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I never managed to find any of the Weatherlight books, but piecing together their journey through the cards was pretty interesting in its own right. It's too bad the concept is getting squandered like this.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Corrode posted:

The second link in the Discord block is for a specific message. You can't open it unless you're part of the server but it gives Discord enough to start moving on.

Just submitted my reports as well.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Corrode posted:

Speaking of fash, Arch Warhammer is a well-known Nazi piece of poo poo who makes Warhammer lore videos and also advocates for genocide. The members of his Discord also fantasise about loving kids!

If anyone were to want to report him to Patreon and Discord, cutting off his income and fanbase, that would be devastating. The links to make this easy are below.

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=3863342
cite: https://twitter.com/KapnJono/status/1269020243831201796
https://mega.nz/folder/vUYwwIJZ#PqyYQZYPYZUJCjEgKfGMkg

And to Discord here:

https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000029731
https://discordapp.com/channels/493502127357034519/493635008481722369/715892447238029374
Server number: 493502127357034519

Clicking on the link that starts with "discordapp" opens up discord. Am I supposed to link that in the report? I'm confused.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The cards and mechanics in Lorwyn/Shadowmoor were practically dripping with flavor. I always wished we'd got a setting book for that block.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

paradoxGentleman posted:

Clicking on the link that starts with "discordapp" opens up discord. Am I supposed to link that in the report? I'm confused.

Discord asks you to link a specific message, and that's the link we grabbed to report

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

gtrmp posted:

At one of the first Gencons, back when it was a con almost purely for historical wargames, Lou Zocchi physically ejected the guys selling "historical" Nazi "memorabilia" from the premises

Or at least that's how I heard the story

poo poo, I hope that's true.

We could really use a heartwarming thread for the dozen points of light in the industry.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

paradoxGentleman posted:

I missed this as well. The first link that starts with “support” goes to the support page to file a trust and safety report. The second is the specific message id link, which is one of the required fields. Make sure to copy the link to the mega archive and the discord server ID into your report message as well.

Edit: I’d just right click the discord message link and ‘copy url’ to make sure you have the whole thing. It was compressed when I looked at it.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

moths posted:

poo poo, I hope that's true.

We could really use a heartwarming thread for the dozen points of light in the industry.

It matches with what I've been told about the early days of wargaming - the guys who played WWII wargames made certain to use the Iron Cross in most of their work because no one wanted to replicate Nazi imagery. It may seem surprising now, but there was a time in the USA when being a Nazi was considered to be controversial and caused you to be a pariah.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Gau posted:

It matches with what I've been told about the early days of wargaming - the guys who played WWII wargames made certain to use the Iron Cross in most of their work because no one wanted to replicate Nazi imagery. It may seem surprising now, but there was a time in the USA when being a Nazi was considered to be controversial and caused you to be a pariah.

It's forgotten now, but there was an actual outcry in the early 80s at the way some hex-and-chit games' box art were starting to look a bit like Axis propaganda posters. There used to be a collection on BGG about it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Loxbourne posted:

It's forgotten now, but there was an actual outcry in the early 80s at the way some hex-and-chit games' box art were starting to look a bit like Axis propaganda posters. There used to be a collection on BGG about it.

I've definitely seen some of that stuff. It gets even worse if the product features the SS. I still get a little antsy around people who like to play as "elite" SS units in wargames.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Agent Rush posted:

Wait, they brought back the Weatherlight, gave her a new crew, then left them all behind? Why even bother? They could have just had the characters they want to focus on keep the ship if they're going to make such a deep cut.

They have this absurd conviction that, because their main characters are planeswalkers, they couldn't possibly have any other method for travel between planes, because that would "undermine what makes the planeswalkers special."

You know, like how DC Comics can't have airplanes because then who cares that Superman can fly?

It's incredibly stupid and hurts both their ability to build interesting recurring characters and their ability to leverage their best assets, interesting worlds, by having those worlds evolve via contact with each other.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Every planeswalker is unique anyway. Just make the Weatherlight a planeswalker.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Another issue with the new magic storyline, in the old days most important characters were unaging, exit could be an issue but on the upside it meant sets could be hundreds of years apart. All of the sets from innistrad to war of the spark took something like 5 years which means all of those planes have been in constant chaos.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Well, I got the following message back from Discord Trust and Safety re: the heinous poo poo posted upthread:

code:
 Hello,

Please do not coordinate with others to send in multiple reports for the same issue. 
Doing so will result in slower response times, slow down the investigation, and may result in us taking action against all accounts involved in the mass reporting. 

If you believe there is a violation of our Community Guidelines, please send a single report from one account.

Sincerely,
Discord Trust & Safety Team
So I think it’s safe to say that more than one person has been complaining.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Green Intern posted:

Well, I got the following message back from Discord Trust and Safety re: the heinous poo poo posted upthread:

code:
 Hello,

Please do not coordinate with others to send in multiple reports for the same issue. 
Doing so will result in slower response times, slow down the investigation, and may result in us taking action against all accounts involved in the mass reporting. 

If you believe there is a violation of our Community Guidelines, please send a single report from one account.

Sincerely,

Yeah the sigmarxism subreddit picked it up too so there's been a lot of reports going in I think. One of our guys got an actual response saying they're looking into it so fingers crossed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

moths posted:

I think Carmack is confusing story for context. Doom '93 doesn't really have any story beyond the elevator pitch, but that's all the framework you need for an action game.

He doesn’t believe it anymore anyway.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Green Intern posted:

code:
 Hello,

Sincerely,

I got the same thing but what's funny is that say don't coordinate but also coordinate to send just one report. The threat to take action against reporters is also pretty tone deaf but it's discord so.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My response on Arch's Discord was:

quote:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. We’re sorry to hear that you are having this experience and we understand that this can be extremely concerning.

Have you reached out to the server owner about this? Your server admin should be stepping in and moderating accordingly. You should talk to the admins and let them know about what's going on. If the admins aren't responsive to such messaging or they condone the reported behavior, we can follow up to evaluate further action.

Sincerely,
Discord Trust & Safety

Yeah, I think the server admin knows what's going on.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

moths posted:

I think Carmack is confusing story for context. Doom '93 doesn't really have any story beyond the elevator pitch, but that's all the framework you need for an action game.

Doom 3 added story elements (dialogue, cutscenes, back story) and it ended up being a (poorly recieved) tonal shift into survival-horror.

Those story elements had very little to do with it's reception, which wasn't really as bad as the memes would have you believe. The flashlight mechanics, and the aforementioned tonal shift, were what alienated some people.

Doom 2016 was received EXTREMELY well and included all of those story elements (dialogue/cutscenes), and offered an even more expanded lore that you could dive into at your leisure. The key difference was that 2016 completely embraced the run and gun style of the original, made the lore even more ridiculous while simultaneously playing it completely straight, and gave us one of the greatest characterizations of a silent FPS protagonist ever.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

MadScientistWorking posted:

Speaking as someone who has signed legal documents from Paizo they have a pretty poor reputation with how they handle them. I think at one point there was a year backlog on sending them out. I know a dozen or so people that were in a similar boat of supposed to be under legal documentation but not.

And anymore, that's why I sign things before I stay writing the final product.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eastmabl posted:

And anymore, that's why I sign things before I stay writing the final product.

Onyx Path literally tells us writers to do no work until contracts are signed.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Apologies for keeping this vague-ish.

I contacted a developer at a smaller game company inquiring about being a freelancer. I didn't send in a pitch or any material; I did make mention of some previous small-time RPG credits, and offered these (and some custom materials for the game line he develops) as writing samples. I didn't send them, just mentioned them. He told me he would bring up the proposal at the company's weekly meeting. I did not hear back, and followed up after a week. There was no response. This was about six weeks ago.

I presume I was ghosted because the company wanted to pass, but I don't have confirmation of that. Every employee at this company has a regular day job and just does game dev as a sideline out of love, and this particular dev works in health care, so actual forgetfulness in a time of medical crisis may be a possibility.

I know this is a small but active company with several books in the pipeline. Should I reach out again, and if so would I get a better reception if I had a specific pitch in mind? Or should I just let this go.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You should follow up again, possibly with a clear statement; "I'm going to make one more attempt after this, and if I do not hear back from you I will assume that there will be no further reply." You can butter that up how you like. This is a business thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Loxbourne posted:

Jack Radey of People's Wargames made a big stink about it in the industry press and turned things around some.

There were big problems in the 70s and 80s in characterizing the Soviets in WW2 as good guys or allies. Thanks to the Cold War, they were currently the bad guys and a bigger direct threat to America than the Nazis were. That also kept their wartime archives unavailable to researchers in the West, so the only primary sources available on the Eastern Front were German and the only first hand accounts were from German officers trying to get get lumped under the Nazi umbrella. They were the source of the "clean Wehrmacht" myth and the "elite units overrun by human waves" myth.

Things started to turn around after the archives opened in the early 90s (David Glantz did some great scholarship here and his books on the subject are now pretty much standard), but the core of the wargames industry were still people who grew up being taught that Communist = Enemy. GDW (the Traveller people) were amongst the first of the new wave, publishing The Great Patriotic War in 1988, which is pretty good for a company founded in the 70s.

That really stood out on store shelves in 1988 when this was still the standard (1984 publication) for an Eastern Front game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mllaneza posted:

That really stood out on store shelves in 1988 when this was still the standard (1984 publication) for an Eastern Front game.

I do like how all the tanks facing East are on fire and the commander is facing West

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

mllaneza posted:

GDW (the Traveller people) were amongst the first of the new wave, publishing The Great Patriotic War in 1988, which is pretty good for a company founded in the 70s.

Can't pass up an opportunity to praise GDW, loved their stuff. Their fictional WW3 game Twilight 2000 was weirdly progressive for the time, featuring tons of women combatants and plenty of written scenarios about bashing fash. It was also a military game that in no way praises the military as an inherently good thing, with most military units either blindly fighting a war that should have ended or turning into marauders that need to be stopped.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Twilight 2k is pretty drat amazing and managed to have an anti-war message while still being an RPG with gun chart porn and tanks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 22, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That looks great!

I don't know if I like reworking the timeline every edition though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 22, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Look i didn't sign up for Twilight 2020, I'm already living it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sounds like the timeline is the same or similar to the older games???

quote:

Just like the original version, the new edition is set in a year 2000 devastated by war – now in an alternate timeline where the Moscow Coup of 1991 succeeded and the Soviet Union never collapsed.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah it actually sounds like they're going back to the second version which wasn't bad - and is pretty close to real history. I'm happy to be corrected!

Merc 2000 and Twilight: 2013 both went in kind of their own ways.

Going to be cool to see how this turns out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I really liked T2k 2.1nd Edition. Frank Chadwick had a knack for playable systems

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Unless I'm blind, I don't think this has been already posted in this thread:
https://twitter.com/zbeg/status/1269962379925708801

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also while invoke prejudice might have been unintentional on design's part, it was definitely purposeful on the artists part, given that he is in fact an open kkk supporter. So it wouldn't have surprised me if he did some finagling to get the art on that particular collector id.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Also while invoke prejudice might have been unintentional on design's part, it was definitely purposeful on the artists part, given that he is in fact an open kkk supporter. So it wouldn't have surprised me if he did some finagling to get the art on that particular collector id.

It's not a collector number visible anywhere on the card though, it's the unique ID from when all the cards were digitized years later for a searchable database. I don't know whether something like that number existed in internal records before Gatherer was created, but it's not something that would have been accessible from the outside.

Starting with multiverseid=1 and working up, it seems that the IDs are arranged by color and then alphabetically. I don't have the patience to go through all 1487 of the preceding numbers but I assume they follow that pattern. It's possible that someone could have done some tricky manipulation to fit that card into that position, but if they did then the break in the pattern should be discoverable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh really? I thought the gatherer number was somehow related to the larger collector number lists from back in the scry magazine days or the like. My bad then.