Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

justcola posted:

I have decided to learn German during lockdown, partly for fun and partly as I'd like the option to run away one day (which is a big internal dilemma for me as I see running away as being a luxury and abandoning my friends and family as well as any positive change I can do here on one hand, whilst on the other, I just can't be arsed living most of my life under a government I loving despise that repeatedly gets voted in)

Any tips for learning a new language? I am using Duolingo and keeping a little vocabulary book and watching stuff in German on Netflix. The SA thread is a bit advanced for me as I've only just started, but any advice or simple books to read would be appreciated :)

I've got a very basic German grammar textbook that I used doing German GCSE a long long time ago. Found it having a clear out so it's sitting in a pile of stuff to donate. It's pretty small so if you're prepared to give your address to an internet stranger I can post it to you. Not got PMs but you can email me at ktbsilver on gmail if you want it.
E: title is Grammatik Ohne Panik

Ktb fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Der hund sind auf dem kleiderschrank, aber mein schwester hat kein kofferradio.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Uh that "mini" computer system is clearly called DECSYSTEM 2020 so presumably that's a recent photo.
Thanks to the endless magic of the internet, I'm logged into one right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
welp just found out one of my friends from high school got lured into a meeting by pedo vigilantes and arrested on the way to it

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jose posted:

welp just found out one of my friends from high school got lured into a meeting by pedo vigilantes and arrested on the way to it

As one of the vigilantes or :stonk:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pedo vigilantes as in the anti-pedo internet hunters, pedo vigilantes as in pro-pedo PIE groups, or pedo vigilantes as in vigilantes who also happen to be pedos like Gerry Adams' da?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they had him convinced he was going to meet a 13 year old girl and then called the cops who arrested him on the way

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
That must be one hell of a boner-killer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That seems like a particularly bad move now that they've announced criminal charges for breaking some aspects of lockdown.

Like not that it's ever a good move, but you're not even allowed to go between houses for sex with adults at the moment.

Wonder if there's lockdown sex vigilantes pretending to be 20 year olds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

That must be one hell of a boner-killer.

he was also on drugs when they arrested him so that probably wouldn't have helped either

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What do they charge people for in those instances?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well this is bringing back some strong memories and is definitely not going to take up my whole evening rather than something productive.

Jose posted:

he was also on drugs when they arrested him so that probably wouldn't have helped either
Which drugs turn you into a nonce so I can avoid them tia

Is it one of these new research chemicals with names like 4F-PEDO-290?

bessantj posted:

What do they charge people for in those instances?
Possession if they still have any, but being intoxicated isn't unless you're causing public disorder. They can use it as a reason to stop and search and search your home though, which is probably not what you want if you're a nonce.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

In English law you cannot be in possession of something once you've consumed it, and just about the only thing where the same rules apply for being high as they do for being drunk is trying to drive a car; there's no such offence as "high and disorderly".

justcola posted:

Any tips for learning a new language? I am using Duolingo and keeping a little vocabulary book and watching stuff in German on Netflix. The SA thread is a bit advanced for me as I've only just started, but any advice or simple books to read would be appreciated :)

Die Sendung mit der Maus is quality television until you're ready to graduate to Tatort/Polizeiruf 110

The thing that made me stop doing German Duolingo in utter frustration is how it insists on making me rewrite everything into precise modern English grammar and won't accept "Think you the food good?" as a correct answer, when I was finding it orders of magnitude easier to just think literal translations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but police definitely will use being intoxicated (or causing public disorder) as a pretext for a search to see if you are still in possession of any, which is then a possession charge no matter how small.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Possession if they still have any, but being intoxicated isn't unless you're causing public disorder. They can use it as a reason to stop and search and search your home though, which is probably not what you want if you're a nonce.

Oh sorry I meant what would they charge him with besides the drug charge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just reverting your english grammar back a few centuries is definitely easier if you're trying to learn german.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

In English law you cannot be in possession of something once you've consumed it, and just about the only thing where the same rules apply for being high as they do for being drunk is trying to drive a car; there's no such offence as "high and disorderly".

So if a nonce swallowed their noncing videos...?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

Oh sorry I meant what would they charge him with besides the drug charge.
Depending on what he said in the conversation, there's a law in place since 2017 that criminalizes sending sexual material to someone they believe to be under the age of consent via an electronic medium.
Other than that, there's a law regarding communicating with a child (which does not have to be sexual) to meet, arrange to meet or travel to meet that child, intending to commit a sexual offence.

That second one gets a bit wooly when the child does not actually exist, but the first one covers "I'm 13" "cool here's a pic of my dong" because the perpetrator believes they are exposing themselves to a child.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Z the IVth posted:

So if a nonce swallowed their noncing videos...?

Have to ask Jose's mate

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1268923726025953280?s=19

Going to lose my poo poo as articles dribble out over the next 5/10 years saying "actually that Corbyn fellow was alright you know"

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1268923726025953280?s=19

Going to lose my poo poo as articles dribble out over the next 5/10 years saying "actually that Corbyn fellow was alright you know"

Yep. I do suspect he's going to be pretty vindicated in hindsight which does make how dirty he was done even more bitter.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Which drugs turn you into a nonce so I can avoid them tia

Is it one of these new research chemicals with names like 4F-PEDO-290?

Probably Mephedrone. (Not to be confused with Methadone.)

So funny story. Years ago I was involved in a trial where the accused was charged with assault and attempted murder of a sex worker.

She basically said he took Mephedrone, then went crazy and beat the poo poo out of her and tried to kill her.

His defence, which he got into the box to deliver was as follows.

He did hire the sex worker and then took Mephedrone (which back then was a "legal high" in that it wasn't criminalized at the time.)

He was keen to state that the drug didn't effect his mindset at all, it just allowed him to loosen his inhibitions to let him take part in the role playing scenario which he otherwise couldn't have.

He then said that they began having sex on the bed, and mid intercourse the lady fell off the bed, rolled across the bedroom floor, hit the wall which caused the shelf to fall down and the contents to fall onto the sex worker's face causing the injuries.

He then said that he wanted to stop the proceedings at this point as he was so worried about her well being, but she insisted that they continue having sex on the basis that this John had paid over his money and she was honour bound to get his money's worth.
The story continued with more Dominic Cummings levels of telling a bullshit story.

The trial ended up being collapsed owing to a problem with evidence, but I never got around to seeing how the retrial went. I assume that he was later convicted, because anyone who gets into the stand to tell a story like that is never going to be convinced by their Silo to plead guilty, no matter how much sense ot makes.

So in conclusion, my answer to the question is Mephedrone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Weird (and terrible). It still prevented an order of magnitude more cocaine deaths than any it caused though, and he sounds like the type to behave like that whether he's on coke, mephedrone, or ChestEze.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Well this is bringing back some strong memories and is definitely not going to take up my whole evening rather than something productive.

Cowards do it via telnet, heroes do it on Twitter so everyone sees their fuckups:

https://twitter.com/bbcmicrobot

e:

https://twitter.com/bbcmicrobot/status/1268584757002190853

Cheating to let Cthulu do your coding for you, IMO, but he gets results.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cowards do it via telnet, heroes do it on Twitter so everyone sees their fuckups:

https://twitter.com/bbcmicrobot

https://twitter.com/bbcmicrobot/status/1268584757002190853

You're not doing anything to convince me that programming is not just sorcery.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

they had him convinced he was going to meet a 13 year old girl and then called the cops who arrested him on the way

Mods didn't know?!?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

In English law you cannot be in possession of something once you've consumed it

I thought the insane psychoactive substances bill changed this?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

In English law you cannot be in possession of something once you've consumed it

What about those drugs that don't get metabolised and instead just get pissed out unchanged? Not sure if any of them are psychoactive though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In the last 24 hours I wrote my first (useful, as opposed to exercise) Python script and built a hurdy-gurdy, which I think counts as both the most interesting and dullest Saturday I've ever had.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

blunt posted:

I thought the insane psychoactive substances bill changed this?
No the insane psychoactive substances bill changed the definition of what might be an illegal drug to something so expansive that most of the first legal cases were judges going "no, ffs, whipped cream chargers sold by a whipped cream company are not a drug and I don't care what happens if you inhale them."

But possession of something that's only a drug under the new PSA and not a drug specifically scheduled under the Misuse of Drugs Act isn't an offence, you just can't sell them as 'nudge nudge wink wink plant food bath salts' on the internet any more.

This was, of course, predicted by Mickey Mouse in the 30s.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Weird (and terrible). It still prevented an order of magnitude more cocaine deaths than any it caused though, and he sounds like the type to behave like that whether he's on coke, mephedrone, or ChestEze.

I've had more than one client who told me that Mephedrone made them fighty fighty in a way they weren't before.
I think it was a drug that just made normal dickheads, into Streets of Rage enemies.

That being said the accused in my earlier story was absolutely the type of person who would be aggressive and dangerous to women even on 7-Up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Depending on what he said in the conversation, there's a law in place since 2017 that criminalizes sending sexual material to someone they believe to be under the age of consent via an electronic medium.
Other than that, there's a law regarding communicating with a child (which does not have to be sexual) to meet, arrange to meet or travel to meet that child, intending to commit a sexual offence.

That second one gets a bit wooly when the child does not actually exist, but the first one covers "I'm 13" "cool here's a pic of my dong" because the perpetrator believes they are exposing themselves to a child.

Ah thanks, i knew it had to be something but I couldn't think what.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

I've had more than one client who told me that Mephedrone made them fighty fighty in a way they weren't before.
I think it was a drug that just made normal dickheads, into Streets of Rage enemies.

That being said the accused in my earlier story was absolutely the type of person who would be aggressive and dangerous to women even on 7-Up.
I guess there were probably two things going on, people who would normally take cocaine (and may or may not be dickheads) were taking mephedrone instead and not dying of heart attacks/cocaine toxicity, because it is genuinely much safer, and people who had never taken stimulants before taking it and getting the noradrenaline effects in an uncertain environment.

We've never really had a culture of sensible stimulant use like say khat, so you end up with significant increases in violence just from serving vodka red bulls in some pubs.

bessantj posted:

Ah thanks, i knew it had to be something but I couldn't think what.
It's a very new law and I've no idea what kind of precedents have been set based on it. It does contain the line "B is under 16 and A does not reasonably believe that B is 16 or over" which does imply the necessary existence of a child even for the messaging only offence.

The way that seems to be interpreted in some US states with similar laws is "could a minor have access to that message", so if B is 40 and contacts A claiming to be 13, and A, believing that B is 13, sends messages or images of a sexual nature, and C, who is B's 13 year old daughter is also a person who can access that computer, it's ruled that A is still noncing, but idk what happens where there's no real child at all even by proxy.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 6, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JAACable/status/1269323625720668160?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really makes you hanker for a pike block.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Horses apparently are terrified of lodge banners, because they interpret them as solid obstacles.

That may just be trade union lore though, and horses are also terrified of daffodils, sprinklers, and the sky, so what effect it has idk

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

They got that animal off that horse

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tunbridge wells lol

https://twitter.com/TunWellsSDF/status/1269280899952189442?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1269330863818510337?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hundreds of white folks protesting in Stroud for the past four days. I think they're just excited to be out of the house, honestly.