Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

What, that they like to play good games? The new COD is a kick rear end game, and Fifa is a lot of fun. Easily 95% of the PC / console titles you can buy aren't going to be as good as either of those games. Not everybody is into making Cloud Strife play dress-up, or typing insane sentence fragments into chat while trying to steal baron, or getting headshot through the walls in D2 by spinbotters.

more like, they like to scream at the tv and pay real money to open loot boxes. they probably stream it for an audience of 3 people

Lodin posted:

Nah sorry, Lords of Football is poo poo. The best game about kicking a ball around a bit is Behold The Kickmen.

what about mega man x soccer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Huh play all those 1920s centennial nostalgia games lol. :downs:

i dont know what this means

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shibawanko posted:

i dont know what this means

Xmas in July, monopole deluxe, railroad tycoon beta, pope swap II..

Endless-Rain
Nov 25, 2004
I am happy if you have enjoyed!
Ocarina of Time is overrated, has aged poorly and is really clunky and ugly. The only reason people like it is due to nostalgia or because others say how great it is.
The Gerudo Valley theme is pretty sweet though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Xmas in July, monopole deluxe, railroad tycoon beta, pope swap II..

i mean are you saying dos games are boring? what about one must fall, duke nukem, masters of orion, hexen, just some good dos games off the top of my head

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Endless-Rain posted:

Ocarina of Time is overrated, has aged poorly and is really clunky and ugly. The only reason people like it is due to nostalgia or because others say how great it is.

it's already the consensus here that oot sucks. i think people are also finally convinced that donkey kong country is poo poo

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shibawanko posted:

i mean are you saying dos games are boring? what about one must fall, duke nukem, masters of orion, hexen, just some good dos games off the top of my head

Nah dos is inherently off the bore, if that os was subject to judgement it would spew out endless garbage.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endless-Rain posted:

http://olremix.org/mp3/Felix,_Jildon_-_Epic_Valley(Zelda_64).mp3

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

one of the worst things about DKC is how it just telegraphs all of its secrets to you, it's all like "get it? if you throw a barrel into this wall, it opens!" or "uh-oh... looks like there's a suspicious solitary banana at the top of the screen!!" and it's always extremely obvious once you know what the general pattern is. and then the secrets don't reward you with anything really good, just a bunch of collectathon minigames and extra lives

i like games where secrets require unusual mechanics or one-off stuff. the hadoken in megaman x is a good example, it's triggered by an obscure series of player actions and it's exactly the kind of thing your dumb friend would claim is in the game, and you wouldn't believe him, but it's actually in there, that's a good secret

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Endless-Rain posted:

Nah OOT holds up incredibly well and the only reason to poo poo on it is to pretend you are above popular thing.

Seriously you can go back and play through it today and it’s still a great experience.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oot is good, oot is maybe even great, but it does have a lot of hosed up poo poo. wall skulltulas, wall skulltulas you can't hit because there's no good vantage point, invisible enemies, enemies that freeze you and grab you, invisible wall skulltulas, invisible enemies that freeze you and grab you etc. contextual auto jump sucks rear end. contextual auto jump relative to your momentum sucks so much rear end that it turns you inside out from your anus

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

Nah OOT holds up incredibly well and the only reason to poo poo on it is to pretend you are above popular thing.

I too have such impeccable taste in video games that I assume anyone who doesn't like what I like is only doing it to be cool and edgy

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

i like games where secrets require unusual mechanics or one-off stuff. the hadoken in megaman x is a good example, it's triggered by an obscure series of player actions and it's exactly the kind of thing your dumb friend would claim is in the game, and you wouldn't believe him, but it's actually in there, that's a good secret
not that it's a good secret, but I wonder how many people have encountered the Chris Houlihan room in Link to the Past on accident.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

Seriously you can go back and play through it today and it’s still a great experience.

I have and it's as slow, ugly, and clunky as when I first played it. And Link yelling every time he does anything is as annoying as ever, not to mention Navi never shutting the gently caress up.

Like I'll certainly accept the argument that OoT was a groundbreaking game and a historically important game, but it was not well made or fun. It was Nintendo take their first baby steps into a 3d ARPG and they (understandably) made a lot of mistakes with it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah but the water temple

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

yeah but the water temple

water temple isn't good at all, but it does FEEL good to figure out how to clear it by yourself

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Martman posted:

not that it's a good secret, but I wonder how many people have encountered the Chris Houlihan room in Link to the Past on accident.

i think i actually might have once, on a rom before i knew it existed, i vaguely remember finding it but its hazy

i wonder what that room says in the japanese version?

The White Dragon posted:

oot is good, oot is maybe even great, but it does have a lot of hosed up poo poo. wall skulltulas, wall skulltulas you can't hit because there's no good vantage point, invisible enemies, enemies that freeze you and grab you, invisible wall skulltulas, invisible enemies that freeze you and grab you etc. contextual auto jump sucks rear end. contextual auto jump relative to your momentum sucks so much rear end that it turns you inside out from your anus

the only thing oot has going for it is that its a zelda game in a zelda world and it has a certain mood. other than that it just sucks as a game, the beginning is turbo boring with the stupid deku sticks and the sneaking part in hyrule castle and the fighting in general just really sucks

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I too have such impeccable taste in video games that I assume anyone who doesn't like what I like is only doing it to be cool and edgy

You can not like it that’s fine but the hot take wasn’t that “it’s just not for me”.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ArbitraryC posted:

OoT doesn’t hold up at all, sorry

e: the remake is literally in my 3DS right now because it’s such boring poo poo I use it to cure insomnia, I am talking from extremely recent experience here

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

what about mega man x soccer

I really hoped this meant there was a Mega Man Soccer sequel for the X series.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

OoT doesn’t hold up at all, sorry

e: the remake is literally in my 3DS right now because it’s such boring poo poo I use it to cure insomnia, I am talking from extremely recent experience here

“I’m still playing it in 2020” is perhaps not the scathing condemnation you were hoping for.

I’ve played through OOT a couple times, most recent was admittedly a while ago, but within a more modern era of games, around the xbone release. The graphics certainly look dated and the combat is nothing to write home about but the atmosphere, puzzles, and overall arc of the game is still a great experience.

I honestly miss that kind of experience, I always liked the handheld Zeldas over the console releases because they tended to have a more classic feel.

My Zelda hot take is that I actually enjoyed the temple of the ocean king in phantom hourglass. The concept of revisiting the same place as you get more and more items and abilities that let you progress through it in different ways was imo pretty cool. People who felt it was a slog because they just solved puzzles the same way they did the first time rather than utilizing the progress you made in the game kinda missed the point imho.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

“I’m still playing it in 2020” is perhaps not the scathing condemnation you were hoping for.

There's a lot to do here so let's make a plan, first try rereading what they wrote, and then look up what "insomnia" is and then think about whether "this game is so boring and bad that it cures my insomnia" is a compliment

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OoT was boring even when it was new. When I was a young lass I played it for awhile with a friend and her little brother, it was above average for the N64 but most of the N64 games were really awful. Like it was novel and cool to control Link in 3D and ride around on a horse, which was practically an Open World experience at the time, and as children we were pretty impressed for awhile, but once the novelty wore off the game beneath it was crap and we wound up never finishing it. We replayed Link to the Past a bunch of times

Mario Kart and Star Fox were excellent. Smash Brothers was fun too but that came out way later I think

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I had both Zelda 64 and Final Fantasy 7 and i played a hell of a lot more FF7. i also played a hell of a lot more link to the past or even zelda 1.

zelda 64 is a flop, as are all 3d zelda

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 7, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it really cannot be overstated how late OoT was to the whole 3D game genre, like it really genuinely does not have many excuses past the hardware limitations of the 64 for how lame it is

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

it really cannot be overstated how late OoT was to the whole 3D game genre, like it really genuinely does not have many excuses past the hardware limitations of the 64 for how lame it is

look. they literally built it on the bones of mario and star fox*. what else can you expect when you reuse code THAT HARD

*which is why you can load save states from oot in mario 64 and star fox 64 roms and have them restore to an unpredictable but existing position in game

e: my mistake it's the other way around, you can load mario and star fox states in oot and run around in the courtyard and play the first stage of sf64

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 7, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

look. they literally built it on the bones of mario and star fox*. what else can you expect when you reuse code THAT HARD

*which is why you can load save states from oot in mario 64 and star fox 64 roms and have them restore to an unpredictable but existing position in game

e: my mistake it's the other way around, you can load mario and star fox states in oot and run around in the courtyard and play the first stage of sf64

i know you’re probably joking on some level but I have run out of all the real booze in my house and have moved on to expired gluten-free beer and screwtop sake

but regardless kid icarus was made using the metroid engine and is actually a good game so that’s not much of an excuse for a game that came out 11 years later

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

i know you’re probably joking on some level but I have run out of all the real booze in my house and have moved on to expired gluten-free beer and screwtop sake

but regardless kid icarus was made using the metroid engine and is actually a good game so that’s not much of an excuse for a game that came out 11 years later

OoT doesn't really need an excuse cause no one other than people in a thread dedicated to questionable takes on video games on some dying forums would consider it bad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nah dos is inherently off the bore, if that os was subject to judgement it would spew out endless garbage.

wät

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

OoT doesn't really need an excuse cause no one other than people in a thread dedicated to questionable takes on video games on some dying forums would consider it bad.

okay dude

e: in case I’m not being 100% clear here “only people discussing this in the place we are currently discussing this could disagree with me” is a profoundly banal position to take even for you

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 7, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

bullshit, no kid ever discovered this on their own. This is the kind of obtuse thing they'd tell to a specific magazine, or hints hotline, or some other gimmick. First, get 100% of everything in the game so there's no reason to play anymore. Then go to a specific level and ride on a thing until you come to a specific ledge and then die. Do that three times and instead of dying a last time go to the capsule to get the hadoken?

Goldeneye had secret cheats, like, not the ones you unlocked through beating missions or objectives at certain speeds and difficulties. A way to just do button presses in a menu to unlock them. Would've remained secret except some gameshark hacker stumbled upon them and rare felt like releasing them so gameshark wouldn't have that "secret cheats" edge or something.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

okay dude

e: in case I’m not being 100% clear here “only people discussing this in the place we are currently discussing this could disagree with me” is a profoundly banal position to take even for you

It's the video game hot takes thread man, I get it and I'll drop it, I shouldn't have argued with it in the first place. I just found it a bit scorching over something like "d2 took the d1 formula in the wrong direction" which is certainly a unique idea but one you can read and go "you know, they have a point" rather than it just coming across as goons not liking popular thing.

Khanstant posted:

bullshit, no kid ever discovered this on their own. This is the kind of obtuse thing they'd tell to a specific magazine, or hints hotline, or some other gimmick. First, get 100% of everything in the game so there's no reason to play anymore. Then go to a specific level and ride on a thing until you come to a specific ledge and then die. Do that three times and instead of dying a last time go to the capsule to get the hadoken?

Goldeneye had secret cheats, like, not the ones you unlocked through beating missions or objectives at certain speeds and difficulties. A way to just do button presses in a menu to unlock them. Would've remained secret except some gameshark hacker stumbled upon them and rare felt like releasing them so gameshark wouldn't have that "secret cheats" edge or something.
For another of my own hot takes I wanna leapfrog off this and say I dislike games having notable secret/side content in general. I know the design theory is that it's simply there for people who care enough to do it but for me knowing it exists puts me in a weird fomo state that makes it hard to enjoy the game itself. I can't count how many jrpgs I've dropped before the last dungeon because there's a bunch of side stuff around that you get locked out of by moving forwards but is too tedious to wanna do. If I know I'm gonna miss out on notable parts of a game by not following a guide it just wrecks the game for me.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Windwaker and Twilight Princess, even playing the original GameCube versions, do not feel that clunky and outdated today, but OoT does. It really, really does not hold up, however a remake, not a remaster, of it would probably be really good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like the dog ending in Silent Hill or Resident Evil Whatever.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

TP is straight garbage. Not even "bad for a Zelda game", it's just bad. It's the only main series Zelda game I didn't bother to beat.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

is pepsi ok posted:

TP is straight garbage. Not even "bad for a Zelda game", it's just bad. It's the only main series Zelda game I didn't bother to beat.

It has perhaps the best dungeons/temples of any of the 3D Zeldas, its just you have to do quite a lot of boring poo poo before finally getting to do them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Here's an opinion: the The Elder Scrolls games are much jankier than the Might & Magic games, but in a fundamentally different, unfun way. Still ruins immersion effectively.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

It had so many parts where I was actively dreading or hoping to avoid. Basically any fight with the fuckin like Tron monsters or whatever was just a slog. Being wolflink was fine, they just made those fights play out in a lovely way.

The game had some of the coolest poo poo in it too, but locked away or underutilized. Double hookshots was dope, but only like one dungeon really used it and that dungeon was eh. The loving spinner was awesome, we could've been spinning our asses off across the map! Nope, only in these ziggy zag spots in this area har har.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Khanstant posted:

yeah it's true that no kid would ever discover that on their own but because itd be in some magazine at some point it would spread like a rumor and that just makes it cooler when you actually do find it

maybe there are better examples. super mario world has good secrets, flying under the flagpole to reach soda lake was cool, as was the special world. my point though is that i don't like routine, heavily telegraphed secret areas like in DKC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

It's the video game hot takes thread man, I get it and I'll drop it, I shouldn't have argued with it in the first place. I just found it a bit scorching over something like "d2 took the d1 formula in the wrong direction" which is certainly a unique idea but one you can read and go "you know, they have a point" rather than it just coming across as goons not liking popular thing.

For another of my own hot takes I wanna leapfrog off this and say I dislike games having notable secret/side content in general. I know the design theory is that it's simply there for people who care enough to do it but for me knowing it exists puts me in a weird fomo state that makes it hard to enjoy the game itself. I can't count how many jrpgs I've dropped before the last dungeon because there's a bunch of side stuff around that you get locked out of by moving forwards but is too tedious to wanna do. If I know I'm gonna miss out on notable parts of a game by not following a guide it just wrecks the game for me.

yeah no i hate missable things, at least in longer games where you can't just easily replay them, but that's not the same as a secret, the hadoken thing or the super mario world secrets you can just go back to after you beat the game.

here's the reason i couldn't get into dark souls: i was having a pretty good time fighting skeletons in an old castle, and then suddenly i kill a skeleton guy who looks a little different, i look it up online and turns out it's actually a merchant who sells some stuff. i quit the game at that point because i didn't have an earlier save, and the merchant probably sold some poo poo i needed for a good playthrough. i don't need to 100% every game i play but i don't want to be locked out of 100% by some arbitrary action either