Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I've been looking into the enhanced cutscenes and videos. The old games used MIX archives and the videos were VQA (which is meant to stand for Vector Quantization). An in-house Westwood format, used in everything from C&C to Nox.

The remaster stores all the new video files in Petroglyph's MEG archives and the videos are in BIK and BK2 (Bink Video) format. It doesn't seem like Handbrake or VLC can open BK2 files. The original cinematics are all there, weirdly. \CnCRemasterded\Data\CNCDATA\ has folders for all the original discs (except RA's Soviet one?) - there's even an installer for Westwood Chat on one of them.

Nichael posted:

I think the answer to this is no, but is there anything in the Remaster that is new story wise? Like does the bonus gallery have anything on that front?

Only a few missions that were exclusive to the console releases... so no, nothing brand new.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
All the mission info is definitely the original stuff from the CNCDATA folder:

Tested by editing in this to the first GDI mission

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ErrEff posted:

The remaster stores all the new video files in Petroglyph's MEG archives and the videos are in BIK and BK2 (Bink Video) format. It doesn't seem like Handbrake or VLC can open BK2 files.

Bink video still exists?? With hardware decoding for h.264 and VP9 being available on pretty much any platform, this is really surprising.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Sheen Sheen posted:

It can get to be pretty frustrating with the AI’s ability to poo poo out units at an incredible rate, but if you just focus on hunting down their harvesters they will eventually run out of money. This strategy works particularly well for late-stage Nod missions, since you can quickly knock out the harvesters with rocket bikes, then when the AI sends all its units after the bikes you can lead them back to your base and fry them with obelisks. The AI will always prioritize replacing harvesters, which at like $1500 or so a pop means they will bankrupt themselves pretty quickly as long as you keep up the attack on the replacement harvesters. The AI can cheat in a lot of ways, but once they run out of money they’re just as hosed as a human would be.

Harvester harass is an evergreen tactic in these CNC clones - I was messing around with KKND and raiding their economy was the way to win basically all the time.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Did they add any form of mission select to the game if I wanted to go back and play a completed mission? If I play a mission and complete it, can I go back to it later without having to save at the very beginning of that mission or playing through the campaign all over again?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Airspace posted:

Did they add any form of mission select to the game if I wanted to go back and play a completed mission? If I play a mission and complete it, can I go back to it later without having to save at the very beginning of that mission or playing through the campaign all over again?

All the campaign missions are selectable once beaten ,including their alternative map. All expansion missions are selectable from the outset.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I'm "glad" that I still have basically every GDI campaign mission (along with most of Nod's and a good chunk of covert ops) memorized from when I was like 10 years old so I was able to blast through the GDI campaign with no issues. Definitely not seeing the comments about TD being super hard, if anything it felt easier than I remembered. Remaster owns though. I just wish that opening the jukebox didn't stop playback for some insane reason, who decided that?

I'm also surprised that given how much other crap is in this that they don't have the 3rd TD demo mission, the one that was a modified GDI 10A with more tiberium and six starting mammoths, unless I missed it in there somewhere. Or was that a Mac-only thing and I'm the only person left who remembers that it even existed?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

For anyone that wants to look into the archives and/or fiddle with mods:

Original C&C/RA mod tools: XCC Utilities (most of the download links there lead to XCC_Utilities.exe, which installs a suite of programs for extracting, viewing and modifying the old MIX data files)
Petroglyph mod tools: Petrolution MegEditor (for opening MEG archives)

And here are the Steam Workshop upload tools as provided by the devs. (Direct link)

Finally, here's a Nuke Tank Sample Mod on the workshop.

power crystals posted:

I just wish that opening the jukebox didn't stop playback for some insane reason, who decided that?

The jukebox is also shared between both TD and RA for whatever reason, so you can't have two different playlists.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Hank Morgan posted:

All the campaign missions are selectable once beaten ,including their alternative map. All expansion missions are selectable from the outset.

Exquisite, thanks.

That's enough for me to pick the remaster up.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
This game brings me way back LANing up computers at a buddy's house when we were like 9 years old. I only was able to play C&C on the Sega Saturn but managed to get Red Alert on PC a year later. And this game is still just as great as I remembered it.

Online though I suck at so im gonna stay away from it for a bit until some meta comes out for it on youtube that I can pick up and play with.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

power crystals posted:

I'm also surprised that given how much other crap is in this that they don't have the 3rd TD demo mission, the one that was a modified GDI 10A with more tiberium and six starting mammoths, unless I missed it in there somewhere. Or was that a Mac-only thing and I'm the only person left who remembers that it even existed?

No, I remember that demo mission too (on PC, but probably identical).

The demo had 3 GDI missions:
Mission 1 with the beachhead (unmodified)
Mission 10, but with 6 Mammoth tanks instead of two hum-vees and two medium tanks, also some terrain differences.
Misssion 6, but with no enemy vehicles, and it explicitly tells you to destroy the airfield (which kinda destroyed the mystery once you had the full game).

I started trying to describe the terrain changes in mission with words, but I quickly realized a picture would be better (base image once again from Spookydonut's LP):

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

power crystals posted:

I'm "glad" that I still have basically every GDI campaign mission (along with most of Nod's and a good chunk of covert ops) memorized from when I was like 10 years old so I was able to blast through the GDI campaign with no issues. Definitely not seeing the comments about TD being super hard, if anything it felt easier than I remembered. Remaster owns though. I just wish that opening the jukebox didn't stop playback for some insane reason, who decided that?

No I remember playing a demo of 3 GDI missions on the PC back in the day.

What I remember was they had a modified version of the 3rd GDI mission, but it had the SAM site in a corner of the map. Which meant I wiped out the enemy base and had to hunt down this last SAM site and never got to play around with air strikes back in the early 90's. Until I bought the full game.

Edit: Having seen the post above me, it was likely that version of Mission 10 I played on the demo, with the SAM sites in the bottom right corner I never found until after I completed the mission.

Unless I remembered it correctly but Einstien used the Chronosphere to change everything.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 6, 2020

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Unless I remembered it correctly but Einstien used the Chronosphere to change everything.

Incredible!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you want to cheat the achievement for beating all maps on hard just edit the missions for an instant I win trigger, the game doesn't seem to know or care if you edit the missions files.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Nostalgamus posted:

Unless they've changed the AI, you just need one bike. Because recon bikes are flagged as squishable (though I've never actually seen it happen) the harvester will try to squish the bike, and it will never stop trying to that until the bike is dead. So you just shoot the harvester once and drive home to your defenses, and the harvester will (slowly) drive over to get killed along with all the units trying to defend it.

Sheen Sheen posted:

...wow, I never knew any of these things. I swear I’m going to figure out how to crush a bike someday lol

According to some FAQ I read back in the day, you can only squish bikes when you come in from the side.

e: Of course, it still exists

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 6, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

drunkill posted:

Carter gets pretty sick over the course of the pre-mission briefings while Shepards is 'away on civvie duty' And then he's just gone, presumably dead after trying to sail down the river far too early for me to be ready and blow up the turrets.

There is the almost throwaway CGI cutscene with the bodybags in the alleyway and a burning building saying that a few million have already died from tiberium poisoning, then later on Mobius is talking about how risky it is, only a few missions hafter spruiking it on the talk show.

Shits bad, then it goes grimdark levels in Tiberian Sun, which had the best atmosphere of any of the C&C games.

Yeah I never realized how hosed up Carter gets, likely because of a mixture of me being a kid and the quality (or lack thereof) of the original release FMVs. Dude's got a bad case of the 'Berium and driving his ship straight into the Obelisk on that mission likely was a mercy kill.

And yeah C&C 2 had the best tone but if you squint and look, C&C 3's world is pretty hosed up in its own way: Tiberium is being solved, yay! Only good little GDI citizens are allowed to live in the GDI blue zones: if you're not a good citizen to the military dictatorship or if you've got rocks growing in you, then too bad too sad it's off to the Yellow Zone. So unless you're a good GDI citizen that's slowly dying on the border of the blue zone then your best bet for any sort of governance is the religious nutjobs of the Brotherhood of Nod. The Tiberium Sun mutants straight up got a knife in the back for their work saving the world. Tiberium's shed its old plant form and is pure crystal (up to you if this is because the plant just existed to seed Tiberium or was a mutant offshoot of grass or something) and is now going who the gently caress knows how deep into the mantle to forever be part of our planet and growing under the surface and threatening to pop out anywhere. Areas of the earth's surface are massive "Red Zones" too hosed up for even Nod to make a home there: basically giant alien crystallized wastelands.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Nostalgamus posted:

Mission 10, but with 6 Mammoth tanks instead of two hum-vees and two medium tanks, also some terrain differences.
Misssion 6, but with no enemy vehicles, and it explicitly tells you to destroy the airfield (which kinda destroyed the mystery once you had the full game).

I started trying to describe the terrain changes in mission with words, but I quickly realized a picture would be better (base image once again from Spookydonut's LP):

That was a quality demo. I think I played it repeatedly over 2 years before I actually got to play the full game.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is the TD skirmish really limited to 4 players despite having maps with up to 8 slots?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Nostalgamus posted:

I think there was a slight difference in the center turret layout as well but otherwise yeah, that's it. Still surprised it's not included somewhere. And yeah I too played the poo poo out of it for over a year before finally being able to get the full game, whereupon I then spent way too long stuck on GDI 11. That god drat beach landing :argh:

I also want a mod that's just TD moved into RA's engine for all the more advanced features like non-adjacent construction, though how you'd deal with tiberium vs. ore I'm not sure. Or the desert tileset I guess. And then let me have utterly impossible to balance multiplayer across all four sides ala the Homeworld remaster.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Sininu posted:

Is the TD skirmish really limited to 4 players despite having maps with up to 8 slots?

Found this explanation on Reddit, from the devs:

quote:

We did experiment with that legacy functionality (Allowing more players than the map would recommend), but it just led to players spawning on top of each other and everything got messy. So we've decided to take a more modern approach, and setup each map for a max number of players with the ability to choose those starting locations. There will still be 8 player maps in Red Alert for larger games.

All the official maps in TD are 4 player but I downloaded a custom one that gave me 6 slots.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fame Douglas posted:

Bink video still exists?? With hardware decoding for h.264 and VP9 being available on pretty much any platform, this is really surprising.

at a quick google, Bink is a lot cheaper and easier to license than most other codecs (it's apparently discounted or free if the game uses Miles for its sound library), and is also piss easy to implement comparatively. :shrug:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Does capture the flag mode still existing in TD? I remember fondly going to a computer lan place and having 8 players spawn in on a small map and when you killed their mobile command center, all their units died.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Going to go live right now streaming 1v1 Tiberian Dawn matches with US Senate candidate Jess Scarane giving commentary if anyone wants to watch.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat so Nod Longbow rush is legit lol

Was that 5 for con yard kill?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So it sounds like most people (myself included) have mostly been playing the TD campaigns. I long thought RA was more popular! Was I wrong or is everyone just sticking to the original release order?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I just totally missed out on RA1 as a kid, so TD has stronger nostalgia. I think as a kid RA1 also looked less interesting/cool to me? But it was probably mostly just a lack of access to it. (For the longest time the only version of C&C I had was the Covert Ops Disk, I think, so I literally had nothing but super hard missions, few which let you actually build bases/use the full tech tree.)

But between RA2 & TibSun I think I like RA2 more. I think part of me finds the Tiberium universe more interesting/compelling, but it also feels kinda depressing?

RA2 just felt like it had a lot more variety (particularly with YR adding a third faction) and was just generally more fun/silly.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Good to know that the campaign Nod still never builds recon bikes

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

please join watch and donate so we can watch nichael play more matches and talk poo poo

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/cnc

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I have more nostalgic feels for TD so that's what I've focused on more but RA is also really great.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mordja posted:

So it sounds like most people (myself included) have mostly been playing the TD campaigns. I long thought RA was more popular! Was I wrong or is everyone just sticking to the original release order?

I've been bouncing back and forth a bit but mostly focusing on TD just because it feels right to finish it first. RA is the better game though, especially if you prefer the aesthetic.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
RA is definitely my preferred C&C, no question. But C&C was my only for 3 years or whatever until I could get RA, and those years were a lot of fun. I even did some dial-up multiplayer with school friends. It was such a pain in the rear end and took forever to actually work, but when it did it was joyous as hell. Also I played the original c&c and Red Alert on a 486dx 66mhz. It was SLOOOOOOW but when that's all you've got, you learn to deal with it as a kid. I beat both GDI, NOD, most of the Covert Ops mission, and Red Alert + the expansions. :allears:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Question about Mission GDI 5b; I am getting my assed kicked on normal. Whenever I attacked, and all I have is basically grenadiers and minigunners, I get swarmed by 10 buggies, 5 light tanks and a horde of infantry.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

RA is definitely my preferred C&C, no question. But C&C was my only for 3 years or whatever until I could get RA, and those years were a lot of fun. I even did some dial-up multiplayer with school friends. It was such a pain in the rear end and took forever to actually work, but when it did it was joyous as hell. Also I played the original c&c and Red Alert on a 486dx 66mhz. It was SLOOOOOOW but when that's all you've got, you learn to deal with it as a kid. I beat both GDI, NOD, most of the Covert Ops mission, and Red Alert + the expansions. :allears:

I hear you on the 486dx2... I remember I could only run RA in DOS mode (320x200 or 240) and tried some “486 to Pentium” crap to get it to run on Win95. We would always fight for my dad’s real pentium when we would IPX LAN at my house.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm very gay for this game

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beat the last GDI mission on normal. I'm glad the Nod picked a poor target for their nuke though at that point I was already rolling. The first time I think the AI had a freakout because it sold the Temple of Nod before I could destroy it with the ion cannon which was very :psyduck: Thankfully a reload and more thorough map clearing fixed that problem.

Now onto the Nod missions.

Mordja posted:

I'm just doing them in release order, though I do prefer the tiberium universe to the red alert one.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Just did the Dino missions. Holy hell that last mission is brutal because the dino AI is so bad. Yes, just sit there and let a dozen guys shoot you Mr. Stegosaurus.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Tezzeract posted:

Harvester harass is an evergreen tactic in these CNC clones - I was messing around with KKND and raiding their economy was the way to win basically all the time.
The other big way to econ harass them is steal their silos, which gives you all of the money inside. Whether that's better than the refinery depends on the mission though, i.e. how protected the refinery is vs. the silos.

Just remember that if you sell the silo, you need to have enough silo capacity of your own to store the transferred Tiberium or it will go poof.

GDI mission 10 in particular you can punch a hole in the top wall and use it to send in APCs to loot their 4 silos over and over again, but the refinery is covered by an obelisk.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Beat the last GDI mission on normal. I'm glad the Nod picked a poor target for their nuke though at that point I was already rolling.
I think it always targets your southern-most building or something like that.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 7, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

power crystals posted:

I also want a mod that's just TD moved into RA's engine for all the more advanced features like non-adjacent construction, though how you'd deal with tiberium vs. ore I'm not sure. Or the desert tileset I guess. And then let me have utterly impossible to balance multiplayer across all four sides ala the Homeworld remaster.

It's not the remaster, but Dawn of the Tiberium Dawn might be of interest.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So now we get to debate Dr Mobius again, after all these years.

First he extols the virtues of Tiberium "The possibilities are limitless!" then he seems to be exposing townspeople to spores and tiberium infection in GDI mission 8B instead of GDI just evacuating the civilians from the area.

Later in GDI Mission 12A you've got to evacuate Dr. Mobius from an under siege GDI base, he is standing outside a Hospital which is located next to a Prison... has Mobius been conducting human testing on the prison population?

He does change his mind by then saying that Tiberium could be highly dangerous and have serious ramifications for the population of Earth.

Dr. Ignatio Mobius, a madman furthering his own goals? Or just trying to unlock the secret of Tiberium and protect humanity? You decide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

OneEightHundred posted:

I think it always targets your southern-most building or something like that.

Nuke targetting. First building in this list and then by build order for each.

Adv guard tower

Adv Comm Centre

Refinery

War Factory

Airstrip

Adv Power Plant

Conyard

Helipad