Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Stalagmites on the floor, stalactites on the ceiling. You can remember because stalagmites might hang from the ceiling, but they don't.

Stalagmites have a g and are on the ground.

Stalactites have a c and are on the ceiling.

I suppose you could go to a place with already existing stalactites and stuff for a house, save you the trouble of finding a decoration that "fits".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShelterMelter
Apr 21, 2018
This is semi-cheesing, I made a stage for fighting Moon Lord with a laser-proof roof and the sword that could go through geometry and heart statues every half screen.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ShelterMelter posted:

This is semi-cheesing, I made a stage for fighting Moon Lord with a laser-proof roof and the sword that could go through geometry and heart statues every half screen.

Roof is no-longer laserproof.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

I suppose you could go to a place with already existing stalactites and stuff for a house, save you the trouble of finding a decoration that "fits".

is there any practical reason why laymen can't just call all cave-boogers the same thing in peace? ive never once in my life heard either mentioned without some kind of breakdown like this, seems like the words aren't doing the job of words if both of them always need this kind of preamble. they're bad words, to the bin with them i say.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Speleothems is the word for all secondary mineral formations like that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the ultimate speedrun has been born
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7czpZKfXOxQ

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DelphiAegis posted:

My own mnemonic for that is that stalagTites hang down from the ceiling like the vertical line in a T, while stalagMites stick out of the ground like the points of an M.

Ambaire posted:

Alright. What rules does Terraria have?

Peachfart posted:

Using terrain in Terraria to avoid damage isn't 100% safe, and is a perfectly valid strategy. It isn't cheesy, or like using Cheat Engine(wtf).
Well, I'd say there's a reason why every boss in the game can go through walls exactly to make sure you don't do that kind of thing, but apparently y'all are too busy being indignant to really care what I have to say about that anyway.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I hate all of you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cardiovorax posted:

My own mnemonic for that is that stalagTites hang down from the ceiling like the vertical line in a T, while stalagMites stick out of the ground like the points of an M.

i remember stalactites and stalagmites because they were the same sprite monster that moved on the ceiling and the floor, respectively, in legacy of the wizard

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Stalactites cling TIGHT to the ceiling, stalagmites MIGHT grow to reach them someday (in which case they become a column, but no one needs a mnemonic for that one).

Also my cavern house is a jeweled crown made of sunplate and gemspark, hanging by chains from the ceiling. I like the new sunplate/skyware resprite.

Also also, I was cruising the post-Plantera dungeon and something, don't know what, dropped a Morning Star whip. Holy balls is that a power jump. I went from the 59 attack of Durendal to 319. :zenpop:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yesss! Finally got that drat tree woman to tell me world is PURE absolutely PURE ahahahaha

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Yesss! Finally got that drat tree woman to tell me world is PURE absolutely PURE ahahahaha

She lies, there is still life left to be purified by fire. Burn it all.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

watho posted:

more serious answer is that the uzi has high velocity and no spread so i find chlorophyte bullets a bit unnecessary and i’d rather use some other ammo but it’s by no accounts bad

There is definitely some spread and the high velocity thing is only for musket balls and silver bullets.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I thought that sounded strange, but I wasn't sure if I wasn't just misremembering. Checked the wiki just now and apparently the Uzi has ~15 degrees of spread, which is a lot more than the minishark. Pretty much exactly the kind of weapon that Chlorophyte bullets work best with.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's mostly worse than the megashark, with its slow rate of fire, significant spread and full ammo consumption.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It does have slightly higher base damage and it doesn't require farming for materials first, so I'd say it's a decent enough off-weapon if it just happens to drop for you randomly. I wouldn't really use it otherwise either, though.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Dareon posted:

Also also, I was cruising the post-Plantera dungeon and something, don't know what, dropped a Morning Star whip. Holy balls is that a power jump. I went from the 59 attack of Durendal to 319. :zenpop:
Thats actually the second best whip in the game, the best drops from Empress of Light, and while that one does 15 less base damage, it makes summons do 20 more damage (compared to the Morning Star's 5), gives summons a 10% crit chance (compared to 5%), plus it is bigger and faster to use, though the knockback is a lot lower.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ambaire posted:

Alright. What rules does Terraria have?

Dig. Fight. Explore. Build.

And don't anger the torch god.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
But angering the Torch God gets me a sweet reward

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My go to cheese strategy is building a nurse house near my boss arenas and teleporting to it mid fight. Works on pretty much everything except the golem or the corruption/crimson bosses, but they're easy so whatever.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Dareon posted:

Stalactites cling TIGHT to the ceiling, stalagmites MIGHT grow to reach them someday (in which case they become a column, but no one needs a mnemonic for that one).

I always heard it as stalactites cling TITE to the ceiling, and if you're not careful you MITE fall on a stalagmite.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The mnemonic is real easy in Swedish.
M - Marken (the ground)
T - Taket (the ceiling)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cardiovorax posted:

It does have slightly higher base damage and it doesn't require farming for materials first, so I'd say it's a decent enough off-weapon if it just happens to drop for you randomly. I wouldn't really use it otherwise either, though.

Yeah, with the higher base damage and slower fire it comes out to comparable dps (the wiki has done examples where it'll have a higher dps), the slower rate mitigates the ammo use, and it has higher pushback per sec. The spread is 15degrees but in effect it's not dramatic. Overall it's a side-grade if you happen to get it first and the whole "converting early ammo to high velocity" thing is nice if you do get it early in hardmode. Plus it's cheap to reforge!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Mine would work better since it actually spells the words right?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

Mine would work better since it actually spells the words right?
e: actually, nevermind, it is.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I never bothered using the Star Cannon in the past because farming up ammo was more trouble than it was worth- then Master Journey Mode came along :getin:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

My go to cheese strategy is building a nurse house near my boss arenas and teleporting to it mid fight. Works on pretty much everything except the golem or the corruption/crimson bosses, but they're easy so whatever.

How else will you kill skeletron and beyond in master mode.

Also I have spent 4 hours building a giant 9 planter level symmetrical room with gem glass blocks in my master mode play through. Send help. I've redone the wall windows three times now because I keep discovering more poo poo I can do with paints and wiring. Slowly realizing I should hold off until l get further in but going into hard mode in master mode without a somewhat organized base will be awful.

Here is the spot almost done I think. I was trying to go for Boston Celtics colors because I don't know what good colors are. I will probably do more sports teams color schemes for other buildings. It's awful but the best I can do. That top right mini house will be destroyed, it was just there for me to get the forest pylon.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 9, 2020

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Huh, apparently the celestial pillars disable your pylons. That's really annoying and baffling.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Huh, apparently the celestial pillars disable your pylons. That's really annoying and baffling.

Any event does. Pirates are really annoying late game because they are frickin lethal on master mode.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Kalas posted:

Any event does. Pirates are really annoying late game because they are frickin lethal on master mode.

Sure, but it doesn't really matter in other events because you're probably just staying in one general area killing whatever comes approaches. Disabling the pylons for an event that requires you to travel all over is a pain especially since you'll probably have to do it multiple times. And if you want to visit an NPC in a village to buy some bullets or reforge an item or whatever before the final boss then you have to travel there the old fashioned way. Meanwhile teleporters and items like the cell phone still work so it just seems like a little bit of tedium for the sake of tedium.

Thankfully at least with journey mode you can have infinite celestial sigils so you don't have to re do them.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Kalas posted:

Master mode pirates require indirect / one tile hole abusing attacks. Direct attacks are suicidal, yes.

I think I've discovered that in normal difficulty, you can do pretty much whatever, melee, ranged, etc, direct or indirect. Expert requires taking advantage of designed limitations of the AI, unless you really like dying a lot. Master mode requires taking extreme advantage of said designed limitations. If you approach a master mode enemy with normal mode tactics, you're gonna die a whole lot.

By the way, regarding master mode turtles, all you need to do is continuously attack them with *something*. Doesn't matter what you're attacking with as long as it's continuous.. they will just retreat until they die.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Master mode pirates require indirect / one tile hole abusing attacks. Direct attacks are suicidal, yes.

I think I've discovered that in normal difficulty, you can do pretty much whatever, melee, ranged, etc, direct or indirect. Expert requires taking advantage of designed limitations of the AI, unless you really like dying a lot. Master mode requires taking extreme advantage of said designed limitations. If you approach a master mode enemy with normal mode tactics, you're gonna die a whole lot.

By the way, regarding master mode turtles, all you need to do is continuously attack them with *something*. Doesn't matter what you're attacking with as long as it's continuous.. they will just retreat until they die.

Yeah, I made 3 wide shaft with a one hole gap and some form of penetrating bullet to deal with the pirates. Except for the Jolly Roger or whatever it's called. That took a lot of flying, a lot of deaths and a lot of effort to get that fricking black spot.

Master Mode is mostly 'get hit and die' on a lot of stuff. I've taken 400 point hits from rolling cactus.....

Still fun, have an almost complete relic collection. No idea how I'm going to manage Moon Lord on MM though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

my only real complaint about terraria as a whole is how annoying it is to spawn certain bosses because it makes practicing their patterns and such a massive pain

Empress of Light is an extremely fun boss to fight but some nights i just can’t get any prismatic lacewings to spawn

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

my only real complaint about terraria as a whole is how annoying it is to spawn certain bosses because it makes practicing their patterns and such a massive pain

Empress of Light is an extremely fun boss to fight but some nights i just can’t get any prismatic lacewings to spawn
If you're doing Journey you can catch five and research them and just spawn some and chuck them out of your inventory when you want to fight her.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Kalas posted:

Yeah, I made 3 wide shaft with a one hole gap and some form of penetrating bullet to deal with the pirates. Except for the Jolly Roger or whatever it's called. That took a lot of flying, a lot of deaths and a lot of effort to get that fricking black spot.

To the left here is where I killed most of the Flying Dutchmans. They'd spawn on the open area, run up against the edge of the fortress, and aimlessly fire cannonballs over my head / drop pirates below. while I annihilated them with Jester arrows. Took a bit to realize their limitations.. they can't fire cannonballs directly, but the arc will take them within a few pixels of your character's head.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kalas posted:

Master Mode is mostly 'get hit and die' on a lot of stuff. I've taken 400 point hits from rolling cactus.....

Still fun, have an almost complete relic collection. No idea how I'm going to manage Moon Lord on MM though.
I just killed Plantera on my master mode run yesterday and dipped into the dungeon a bit to attempt to farm the last piece for my Ankh Shield (the bandage drops from Rusty Armored Bones) as well as some Ectoplasm for event farming if I want to (plus I want those relics), so I haven't even done the temple yet but an Unreal Vortex Beater + Chlorophyte Bullets + tons of buff potions and my skyrail with bouncy ends is still the plan and I imagine it should be just fine

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i tend to find phantasm better for bosses than the vortex beater

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
trying to farm for a crimson biome chest key and I must have killed thousands upon thousands of enemies in the crimson desert without luck

am I missing something? the gamepedia tells me I can farm both desert and crimson biome keys in a crimson desert but I've gotten neither, meanwhile I have three jungle biome keys from just farming chlorophyte/plantera/golem

streak of bad luck?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Martout posted:

trying to farm for a crimson biome chest key and I must have killed thousands upon thousands of enemies in the crimson desert without luck

am I missing something? the gamepedia tells me I can farm both desert and crimson biome keys in a crimson desert but I've gotten neither, meanwhile I have three jungle biome keys from just farming chlorophyte/plantera/golem

streak of bad luck?

Just luck. The keys drop at a 1/2500 chance; you legitimately have to kill thousands of enemies to get a better-than-even chance of seeing one, and turning "better than even" into "very likely" takes thousands more.

I can confirm both keys drop in crimson deserts; I fought a pirate invasion in one and got both in a stroke of good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've gotten crimson keys in Crimson deserts more than once, so I can confirm that it's just a matter of luck.