Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

escapegoat posted:

https://twitter.com/NWJK/status/1269628544281387008

Slavery was legal back then? Well that changes everything!

Actually it never was legal in Bristol or the rest of the UK (post 1066).

Edit: 37 Dalehouse Lane was my childhood home

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

Actually it never was legal in Bristol or the rest of the UK (post 1066).

There were a fair few slaves kept in Bristol though, legal or not. There's the whole Bristol slave trail memorial tour about it even. Being a Caribbean trade port it was an important point of transshipment.

I mean I get your point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trin Tragula posted:

Picking up this up from yesterday because it's one of the best bits of criminal law there is - even if the offence cannot be complete without an actual child being involved somehow, you can certainly attempt the offence if you have the necessary mens rea; it's a long-held principle that you can attempt the impossible.

A pickpocket who dips his hand into your empty pocket commits attempted theft even though there's nothing there to steal; a man who gives you talcum powder while believing it's cocaine has attempted to supply drugs; a man who hits your corpse in the head, believing you to still be alive, and intending to kill you, commits attempted murder even though the victim is already dead.
It definitely gets all wooly though, outside of undercover police building long cases of trying to build evidence showing beyond reasonable doubt that the intent was there, and attempted murder isn't murder. I assume that's why the "could a minor have access to this message?" interpretation came about in whatever US state brought a similar law in 2010, to get around any "of course I reasonably believed that the person I was messaging was a 42 year old nonce hunter from Stoke, I was just winding him up" claims from people snared by amateur vigilantes not checking all the boxes off.

Re: fake drugs, there's a big and interesting debate in legal circles over whether the crime there should be attempted supply of drugs or fraud, since presumably the man who gave me talc accepted some money for it, but I guess that requires proving that the person selling the talc is aware that it is not what he says it is.

happyhippy posted:

Wasn't most of the old buildings in Bristol made by forced slavery?
I remember reading at least one town in the UK has a poo poo ton of slave built government buildings,
Funded, definitely. There was never much appetite for the type of explicit chattel slavery the UK spread across half the world on the island itself though.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 7, 2020

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Kin posted:

So, in a new [topic]chat, it turns out that with all this extra time at home, i've come to realise that the TV in my living room isn't the right size for how we're using it.

We're basically sitting too far away (or my eyes are getting worse) and the furniture we've got doesn't really work well for shifting things about to put us closer to it (either we or the TV would sit in the middle of the room).

I'm seeing 70"+ TV's for the same price i paid for my current one back when i got it about 8 years ago so i figure i might as well make the jump to something ridiclous and stop straining to read things for the next 8 years.

My question, where the gently caress do i go in the UK to get a decent priced TV stand for something that big? Everywhere i look seems to want like £200+ for what's essentially a hollow wooden box with a couple of shelves in it.

Check Facebook Marketplace, it's full of this poo poo around here.

We upgraded to a 4K TV which weighed a lot less than our last one. We replaced our old Ikea unit with one we found on Facebook Marketplace. Some builder had made his own out of 1x2 pine and it was good and solid with a decent amount of storage and it had motherfucking lava lamps built in. Think it cost us about £40. Then I got a glass based pole stand from Amazon for about £60 (search amazon for FITUEYES Stand).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Here's hoping similar iconoclasm happens in other cities in the U.K.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

happyhippy posted:

Wasn't most of the old buildings in Bristol made by forced slavery?
I remember reading at least one town in the UK has a poo poo ton of slave built government buildings,

Glasgow was built almost exclusively on the profits from building slave ships and the tobacco industry.

And speaking of Glasgow:

https://twitter.com/MQuinnYCL/status/1269595229012791296

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/bbcrb/status/1269644536281776128?s=21

lol

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
About loving time. There have been dozens of petitions and peaceful attempts at taking that statue down over the years which have all been ignored.

Hopefully this now spurs them on to finally change the names of all the stuff that his name is on in Bristol.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Looking forward to the Boris statue that will replace it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
those tweets are a great three-part story of good decisions

"yes good on them. the statue should be put in a corner of a museum or something, not in a public place"
"yes, good point. the statue should be put in a corner of a museum beaten up from being rolled around and specifically with the arse detached"
"okay yes, better idea, leave it to rot at the bottom of the river with maybe a viewing platform or something for people to spit on him from. maybe dredge it up in 20 years where it's still recognisable but rusted to hell and then stick it in the museum. with the arse still off."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, dumping a body in the harbour is a pretty fitting way to commemorate Colston.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:lol:
https://twitter.com/selfisoceles/status/1269650585307004929

perc2
May 16, 2020

happyhippy posted:

Looking forward to the Boris statue that will replace it.

Bristol is a Labour city

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

People who claim to care about history must be ecstatic that everyone now knows who Colston is thanks to the statue being torn down

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I loving love you so much Bristol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Probably the only good thing to have happened so far in this gently caress-awful year. Really brightened my day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is all loving wonderful.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

perc2 posted:

Bristol is a Labour city

Surrounded by awful Tory shithole towns (like mine :sigh:)

That loving statue had it coming

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is a great alternate view of the first bit.

https://twitter.com/_jackgrey/status/1269625428400132096

I love the reaction.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Good riddance to the statue, stated it in the other thread but the Francis Drake one in Plymouth should be next. A rapist, a slave trader, a thief... what an idol!

It's Plymouth though, which only last year had Theresa May unveil a statue of a woman who said that 'Hitler had the right idea for the Jewish problem', whilst May attacked Corbyn on antisemitism.

I'm sure most UK towns/cities have lovely statues, tear the lot down.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Being a Caribbean trade port it was an important point of transshipment.

Why are you trying to erase shipment?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

Good riddance to the statue, stated it in the other thread but the Francis Drake one in Plymouth should be next. A rapist, a slave trader, a thief... what an idol!

It's Plymouth though, which only last year had Theresa May unveil a statue of a woman who said that 'Hitler had the right idea for the Jewish problem', whilst May attacked Corbyn on antisemitism.

May and Boris, it wasn’t just the one. That statue being commissioned was a disgrace.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Drone_Fragger posted:

May and Boris, it wasn’t just the one. That statue being commissioned was a disgrace.

and the local Labour MP, unfortunately.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Bet the former Colston Hall, is glad it's closed and announced its renaming already.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol I missed this from the egg man

https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1267143682400178178?s=20

"show some goddamn respect" lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Ratjaculation posted:

this one outside st George's hall/opposite lime Street in Liverpool has always struck me as particularly egregious, he's literally trampling on indigenous resistance

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Can't remember what the rules are re:Weetposting but the founder of We Are Lit Media, the UK's premiere anti-populist website is currently having a Twitter meltdown after posting yet another Enlightened Centrist take.

https://twitter.com/thediyora/status/1269655146805460998

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Wish Boris died of rona and got replaced with this one

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson_MP/status/1269635552472637441?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps we could replace the statue with a looping video of people throwing it in the river.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Nothing much to add other than, as a former resident of Bristol, it makes me far happier than I expected to see the Colston statue get dunked in the Floating Harbour after all the 'going through the proper channels' failed. It's genuinely lifted my mood on a dreary wet indoors day!

When I lived there I sometimes found Bristol's willingness to promote itself as 'City on The Edge' and for the city's establishment to make a big deal about how anti-establishment, creative and rrrrrradical the place was a bit tedious. But, god, it's good to know there are still plenty of people there who actually walk the walk.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

That's awesome.

I am a fan of the Bestå range of TV units. You can customise them the way you like by colour, foot-having-ness, shelves, doors, drawers. And the widest base unit's 1800mm wide which should fit a giant TV. The planner tool does seem to use flash though, lol.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 12, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1269657417308143617

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
It would be a good idea to collect all these statues into something like Budapest's Szoborpark, but I think that lacks a bit of imagination. Much better would be to airdrop them in obscure and dismal parts of the landscape for use as navigational aids. Then people will have a really good reason to learn about our historic figures. Blundering about on Kinder Scout in the fog you come across two stockinged bronze feet poking out of the peat. Is that Kitchener or Nelson? It'll be a long walk home if you haven't learnt your history.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Various UK protests and that Bristol statue has brought me joy this weekend

Ktb posted:

I've got a very basic German grammar textbook that I used doing German GCSE a long long time ago. Found it having a clear out so it's sitting in a pile of stuff to donate. It's pretty small so if you're prepared to give your address to an internet stranger I can post it to you. Not got PMs but you can email me at ktbsilver on gmail if you want it.
E: title is Grammatik Ohne Panik

E-mailed you, thanks!

I'm not sure if I've been looking at too many images from the Daily Star/Sport but this guy looks very familiar, maybe the same one as 'my wife sucked off our neighbour whilst I clapped for carers' or 'pervert sues government for quarantine as he's obsessed with sniffing bus seats' - can't remember

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Ratjaculation posted:

and the local Labour MP, unfortunately.

Pollard is my MP, he didn't seem to understand why there could be a slight problem with a statue to Astor.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

justcola posted:

Various UK protests and that Bristol statue has brought me joy this weekend

E-mailed you, thanks!

I'm not sure if I've been looking at too many images from the Daily Star/Sport but this guy looks very familiar, maybe the same one as 'my wife sucked off our neighbour whilst I clapped for carers' or 'pervert sues government for quarantine as he's obsessed with sniffing bus seats' - can't remember

pissflaps has fallen on hard times

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

https://twitter.com/sensiblehuman96/status/1269662003741831168

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I know The Wire was being discussed last week, and The Bunk has spoken

https://twitter.com/WendellPierce/status/1269579838848995328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter