Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Unreal_One posted:

I had a Belkin Nostromo Speedpad back when this basic design was first made, and I just never found it worth it. You have to either move your keyboard or mouse to a weird spot, or have a second entire setup, or have a really unnatural wide/narrow posture.

Did it feel useful or any more accurate when you had a place for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Cartoon Man posted:

If I play through Batman am I going to want to buy the sequels immediately and play them? I’ve heard mixed things about them, especially the third one with the horrible batmobile.

I've only ever played the first one, it was good but I had no desire to play any more. I imagine they're all more of the same.
I recommend Prey, RE2, Jedi, and Titanfall from your list

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arkham City is the best of the three as an overall game, but Arkham Knight is great too and while being forced to do the Batmobile stuff is annoying, the actual gameplay part of it is perfectly fine. It just feels like the game when they finally jammed just a little too much of EVERYTHING into it.

I love those games though, even Arkham Origins is fun despite being made by a different studio and clearly not having the polish of the other games.

Edit: But yes, do NOT play them back-to-back, you will get major burnout.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Arkham City's plot was really bad, too. At first you think its good because it looks like its going to pay off in some way, but it really never does. I think the part where I realized that the plot was poo poo was about the time I was doing gliding challenges with Ra's Al Ghul's cartoon ghost. That ghost was so silly looking.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
arkham city being released so close to dark knight returns really had me fed up with the al ghuls' plot-hijacking bullshit

of course dkr had oodles of other problems besides

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Taintrunner posted:

can I pick up the gun and shoot the other player for being a card cheat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_lq2p7-p2Y

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

One thing I like about the Arkham games is that the predator combat subtly changes as time goes on, encouraging you to be more on the offensive.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My favourite thing about the Arkham games is how Batman made himself a special hat that tells him the guys he just murdered are only unconscious.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is GRID different than GRID (2019) on steam. I seem to have Grid and Grid 2 on steam, but my version of grid links to a missing store page :\

looks like ID: 12750

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The Arkham City sequence when you go from the sewers, to gradually finding remains of Old Gotham down there, to Wonder City, then climbing out through the Wonder Tower is one of my favorite explorations in videogames.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is GRID different than GRID (2019) on steam. I seem to have Grid and Grid 2 on steam, but my version of grid links to a missing store page :\

looks like ID: 12750

It's GRID (2008), I believe.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Decided to play an hour or so of each as a test run, started with Tomb Raider. I immediately died like 5 mins in on the first QTE which reminded me why nobody likes QTEs in a video game ever. I played up to the first campsite and shot a deer with a bow and arrow. I liked stalking and jumping around the jungle setting, might come back to this after playing a sample of the others for a bit. Story seemed to be ok for a Tomb Raider game, but they sure do like putting Lara through some pain...The QTEs can piss off though, sheesh.

Arkham Asylum is up next.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There are QTEs in Arkham Asylum but I don't remember them being explicitly a failure state like in tomb raider.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gift awayyyy

Nuh-uh, this is me trying to repay some of the gifts I've received from goons over the years. I'm still a cheapskate at heart.

Thank you! I’m still gonna cheer for you as a good person. :glomp:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Irritated Goat posted:

Thank you! I’m still gonna cheer for you as a good person. :glomp:

oh phew you got it. itch doesn't do anything like "confirm that you sent it to the right email"

Enjoy the good bundle!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, the beginning of Tomb Raider is famous for being very QTE heavy. It gets better when you start getting more abilities and equipment.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I played Tomb Raider Uncharted Edition on PC with a controller and maybe they changed it by now, but the QTEs wouldn't tell you the key/button, they showed the action of the key you had to press (like hand for melee or w/e), which killed me entirely too many times.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh jesus that sounds awful. They have changed it, though--I've always seen the buttons.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Arkham Origins is one of my favorite Christmas games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

orcane posted:

I played Tomb Raider Uncharted Edition on PC with a controller and maybe they changed it by now, but the QTEs wouldn't tell you the key/button, they showed the action of the key you had to press (like hand for melee or w/e), which killed me entirely too many times.

I don't think they do that anymore, it's always displayed the controller button for me with XB color codes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

one thing I liked about modern times tomb raider is in modern times you have phones that can translate signs for you by pointing the camera at them

the sign was accurate!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I saw button prompts for the QTEs too, but I had trouble with some of them (steam controller) where it didn't seem to register, like waggling the stick always failed even if I changed my grip in advance to unleash the ancient technique. Ended up rebinding some bs to cheese them

I don't really get the point in making QTEs physically challenging anyway, surely the point is to just make the player feel involved, not be all "haha you mashed the button a lot but I don't think you tried hard enough!!" Like some people will be physically incapable of getting past that poo poo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

I also went through my steam library and put together the following list of “good games I really should’ve played by now”, and would like hear suggestions on what to play next. Some of this list is pretty shameful...

Prey and TF2, the latter is a rollercoaster that’s only 5-6 hours long so you don’t need to devote much time to it, just play it

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Edit: Just found the Management sim megathread which is exactly the type of game I'm looking for, I'll ask there.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 7, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

baka kaba posted:

I saw button prompts for the QTEs too, but I had trouble with some of them (steam controller) where it didn't seem to register, like waggling the stick always failed even if I changed my grip in advance to unleash the ancient technique. Ended up rebinding some bs to cheese them

I don't really get the point in making QTEs physically challenging anyway, surely the point is to just make the player feel involved, not be all "haha you mashed the button a lot but I don't think you tried hard enough!!" Like some people will be physically incapable of getting past that poo poo

TR2013 came in at the tail-end of the QTE era when everybody else was doing the same thing so it wasn't really questioned as a design principle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Arkham City is the best of the three as an overall game, but Arkham Knight is great too and while being forced to do the Batmobile stuff is annoying, the actual gameplay part of it is perfectly fine. It just feels like the game when they finally jammed just a little too much of EVERYTHING into it.

I love those games though, even Arkham Origins is fun despite being made by a different studio and clearly not having the polish of the other games.

Edit: But yes, do NOT play them back-to-back, you will get major burnout.

I liked Origins more than city, personally. The boss fights were some of the best in the series.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

baka kaba posted:

The ultimate bullshit QTEs are the ones where they make you mash like hell but it doesn't matter because you're obligated to fail by the story anyway.
gently caress em.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

baka kaba posted:

one thing I liked about modern times tomb raider is in modern times you have phones that can translate signs for you by pointing the camera at them

the sign was accurate!

Bahaha, that's great

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I just got to the part of the Messenger when the game format switches and gently caress this wasn't a good idea. You had an extremely tightly paced Ninja Gaiden-lite and now I've spent the last 30 minutes just wandering around trying to figure out where to go. The game was flowing really well and I was thinking there's no way this format switch could be the momentum killer I seen it described as but here I am.

:rip: level-based games in general

Not every action games needs to be a metrodivania or open world or filled with a boring hub. Sometimes just beating a level and then going to the next one is perfectly fine.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

baka kaba posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2 European Extreme.... getting choked at the end... :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh man, I played the first hour or so Arkham Asylum, holy loving poo poo was that fun! The setting, the plot, the combat...I actually feel like I’m the loving Batman here to bring justice! Gonna move on to Titanfall 2 but it’s hard not to just keep playing...sorry Tomb Raider you move back down the list!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ciaphas posted:

Did it feel useful or any more accurate when you had a place for it?

Not really. The dpad was kind of an unnatural angle for me, so I ended up wasding anyway, and then it's just a more uniform keyboard. I never had trouble hitting z or c on a normal keyboard, though, so it might help?

A left hand/ ambidextrous joystick might work too, but a lot of games freak out if you combine analog inputs and mouse movements.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I played the Monster Sanctuary demo for a bit and it's quite a fun little thing, anyone have any reason I shouldn't buy it? Does it get terrible later or anything?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I really enjoy the combat of the Arkham games, but the whole "Batman" part is not something I'm fond of. The "Hand of Fate" games have similar combat, and those are great. Are there any other games in that vein?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh man, I played the first hour or so Arkham Asylum, holy loving poo poo was that fun! The setting, the plot, the combat...I actually feel like I’m the loving Batman here to bring justice! Gonna move on to Titanfall 2 but it’s hard not to just keep playing...sorry Tomb Raider you move back down the list!

This matches my own experience with the game. I went into it with a shrug, and not caring about anything Batman at all, but it's such a strong opening that it grabbed me basically immediately. For the next 20 hours or so I was super into Batman stuff, and that lingered for another 2-3 days after I beat the game at which point I returned to not caring about Batman. It's just an excellent, excellent game, apart from mashing space to open vents, which sucks.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sankara posted:

I really enjoy the combat of the Arkham games, but the whole "Batman" part is not something I'm fond of. The "Hand of Fate" games have similar combat, and those are great. Are there any other games in that vein?

Let me tell you about a game called Sleeping Dogs...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sankara posted:

Sleeping Dogs has similar hand-to-hand combat, but instead of bat-gadgets you get really over-the-top environment kills Wei Shen has never killed a man in his life

Omensight is another third-person brawler that's all about jumping into mobs of enemies and dodging or countering the ones with attack indicators over their heads.

I'm not familiar with Hand of Fate but a cursory look makes me think you might also like Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 7, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh yeah, I've always meant to play Sleeping Dogs. Omensight looks pretty rad, especially aesthetically. Thanks!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sankara posted:

Shadow of Mordor or Mad Max both use the similar ground combat but with a different spin related to their own settings - fantasy stuff with Shadow, a shotgun with Mad Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Sankara posted:

Sleeping Dogs should be your first stop, but after that you should try Middle Earth: Shadow of War. It has that style of combat but you've also got superpowers and get to play pokemon with a million cool orcs and that's the best new video game system I've seen in years.

Why do other games still not have the Nemesis system? There are so many things it would work great in.