Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Check out the progress on my mod girls and boys:

Oh!!! And first on a new page?!

Y'all are in for a treat as I also give your an extra special sneak peek at some additional modding I've done then on my total conversion!!

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Chocobo posted:

...The textures of the inside of the spacesuit frost over.

And her neck is attached directly to the frosty material...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have been reading the X4 thread and having the occasional hearty lol at what appears to be a working star citizen but several times better

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=842r6fZsa-w

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Funny how all they needed to do was walk straight and slow and even that looked buggy and wonky.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

What does your heart tell you?

That I really shouldn't be surprised at the level of scummyness CIG will stoop to... :(

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I have been reading the X4 thread and having the occasional hearty lol at what appears to be a working star citizen but several times better

It can't really compare with the beauty and grandeur that is Star Citizen. What's the point of being a space billionaire with multiple space cities built if you can't have space-plebs to awe?! What's the point of having huge space battles if you can't fideliciously see opposing pilots t-posing in their ships?! Maybe it's good enough for the serfs, but X4 just doesn't appeal to the distinguished not-pay-to-win Citizen's psyche.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

I'm the uncontrollable hip twitch

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

:reddit: posted:
Nice recreation! This trailer does show a huge issue with the Elite trailer tho. Look at the backgrounds, you can see for miles and the parallax is very frequent and the perspective shifts nicely. In the Elite trailer, the background barely moves and I suspect a lot of it is a skybox.

This fan produced SC trailer looks better in almost every way compared to E:D's official trailer.

;-)
I wish to see ED community react ;-)
But I don't want to start a war! :-) Juste debate ^^

These people are literally blind.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I'm the randomly jittering hips on the female character with the impossibly defined rear end.

I'm also the Carrack as it wobbles, physics-less, to land.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

Nice recreation! This trailer does show a huge issue with the Elite trailer tho. Look at the backgrounds, you can see for miles and the parallax is very frequent and the perspective shifts nicely. In the Elite trailer, the background barely moves and I suspect a lot of it is a skybox.

This fan produced SC trailer looks better in almost every way compared to E:D's official trailer.

;-)
I wish to see ED community react ;-)
But I don't want to start a war! :-) Juste debate ^^

These people are literally blind.

Imagine trying to compare a full game that's been in development for nearly a decade and has ships sold for 100's-1000's+ dollars, against an expansion pack for a game that's been out for nearly a decade and routinely sells for sub-10's of dollars.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Like, Frontier can totally let Elite die at this point. They've put in their due diligence. Sure the game itself is mostly boring, but take what you learned and start making Elite 2 if you want.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

did CIG also steal invent the likeness of Bobbie Draper from The Expanse?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Does someone have that graph of the insane funding numbers they pulled in for May vs previous?

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Tell me that last one isn't real...

Tell me they haven't been charging for a manual on how to mod a game that will never have mods...

Cryengine Lumberyard Modding For Dummies?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Imagine trying to compare a full game that's been in development for nearly a decade and has ships sold for 100's-1000's+ dollars, against an expansion pack for a game that's been out for nearly a decade and routinely sells for sub-10's of dollars.

The dream of what Star Citizen could be one day with infinite dev time and money always trumps any finished and released game on the market today. Star Citizen will always do it better and in higher fidelity, and if you point to the pitiful broken model viewer it is today, well it’s all just an early days pre-alpha and you can’t criticize it!

The fidelity argument is getting pretty hilarious though, since the graphics are more and more dated and your average Bethesda game has better physics.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Nalin posted:

Store Citizer: I've played enough since then to know how to control the game and how to avoid most of the bad bugs so any new trip report I could make is generally very bland and would only feature the same issues over and over again

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Titanic posted:

Like, Frontier can totally let Elite die at this point. They've put in their due diligence. Sure the game itself is mostly boring, but take what you learned and start making Elite 2 if you want.

Nah, Elite is GaaS by now and you'd have to rework the whole engine to improve it enough to call it Elite 2, which is more work than we can imagine, really. There probably will be some more big things, but I don't see them leaving the engine - instead improving it - for at least ~10 more years.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

The dream of what Star Citizen could be one day with infinite dev time and money always trumps any finished and released game on the market today. Star Citizen will always do it better and in higher fidelity, and if you point to the pitiful broken model viewer it is today, well it’s all just an early days pre-alpha and you can’t criticize it!

The fidelity argument is getting pretty hilarious though, since the graphics are more and more dated and your average Bethesda game has better physics.

It'll be a war up until Frontier releases it and it's just "ok". But this also isn't part of their identity. It's an expansion pack. It can look and play like some kind of Steam junk game because their identity isn't based off of walking around, it's about the space game part.

SC has already been shown up by X4, who's also got walking around in your ship while it's flying and walking around on stations and interacting with NPCs.

But X4 also has a pretty engaging "build a space empire" game running as well. Where as in SC I guess you can find a chest armor to store you drink in. :shrug:

Priorities, right?

Kind of like building a crippling jail system on top of a game where just playing it can be seen as a crime and the crime tallying mechanics are completely broken.

But hey, it's progress towards something. I guess.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Nah, Elite is GaaS by now and you'd have to rework the whole engine to improve it enough to call it Elite 2, which is more work than we can imagine, really. There probably will be some more big things, but I don't see them leaving the engine - instead improving it - for at least ~10 more years.

You don't need to build a new engine from scratch just to make a part 2 or sequel of something. Just stop selling expansion packs and roll them up into the new release.

Bethesda has been doing this for like 2 decades with their Gamebryo system. In fact some of their claim to fame every new Elder Scrolls is "we built a new engine!" until people actually get it and it is, in fact, just another upgrade of their old engine.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Titanic posted:

You don't need to build a new engine from scratch just to make a part 2 or sequel of something. Just stop selling expansion packs and roll them up into the new release.

Bethesda has been doing this for like 2 decades with their Gamebryo system. In fact some of their claim to fame every new Elder Scrolls is "we built a new engine!" until people actually get it and it is, in fact, just another upgrade of their old engine.

Bethesda also currently has terrible reputation because of this, and that's even though it's moddable (unlike Elite). I don't think it's a way to go, really, it will just motivate people into more "greedy Frontier" talk.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bethesda also currently has terrible reputation because of this, and that's even though it's moddable (unlike Elite). I don't think it's a way to go, really, it will just motivate people into more "greedy Frontier" talk.

When they announced Fallout 76 I was really hoping they were going to use the money from that to build a new engine for Starfield and Untitled Elder Scrolls game... Seems like they're determined to keep plugging away with their old one.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

If you want to be zany, that's fine.

I love zany stuff.

But I don't know if I recall a place where zany and massively realistic blended together where it wasn't "a zany moment" with something funny happening in an otherwise serious concept.

You either go Fortnight where yes, you can totally have Deadpool fighting against Darth Vader while an anthropomorphic banana and strong cat dance in the background.

But this isn't the Chris way, this isn't the dystopian space future eerily similar to WW2 except in space where everybody is oppressed or a rebel or a straight laced military person with family issues.

I'm sure somewhere there is a happy medium, but I don't know what it is.

If you see what the theme is, feel free to educate me.

Space nerds.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Imagine making something that retroactively makes the Elite Walkaroos trailer look better by comparison lmao. Jesus

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Terrible reputation or not, I'd be willing to bet Skyrim alone has been more profitable than both Star Citizen and Elite combined.

I don't know how to quantify that, though.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

When they announced Fallout 76 I was really hoping they were going to use the money from that to build a new engine for Starfield and Untitled Elder Scrolls game... Seems like they're determined to keep plugging away with their old one.

Same.

According to rumors it’s really bitten them in the rear end. They’ve struggled trying to get spaceflight to work in their lovely engine and it’s set Starfield pretty far back.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Same.

According to rumors it’s really bitten them in the rear end. They’ve struggled trying to get spaceflight to work in their lovely engine and it’s set Starfield pretty far back.

So y'all are saying that trying to ram a space game into an engine built for FPS world navigation is a bad idea?

:allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

colonelwest posted:

Same.

that seems crazy, they must have more money than God with how much Skyrim has sold in all its dozens of iterations

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

So y'all are saying that trying to ram a space game into an engine built for FPS world navigation is a bad idea?

:allears:

Nah you just need a genius game designer like Chris to make the entire map underwater, one late night coding session and it’s done.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

sebmojo posted:

that seems crazy, they must have more money than God with how much Skyrim has sold in all its dozens of iterations

Yeah, I don’t know how true the rumors are. There have been two rounds that have made their way into the games press. But they have said on multiple occasions that they aren’t going to build or license a new engine for either new game, which is pretty mind boggling.

All I know is that if they launch a game in the TYOL 2022 and it still has a minutes long loading screen (on an SSD) to get into a small building, I’m going to flip poo poo.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 8, 2020

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There's a conversation in the Intel thread about how said massive company hosed up their process lead and the theory is like
Engineer: This is hosed. We need a year and to build a new project from the ground up
Management: Lol no (five years later everything is still hosed)

I assume the same thing happened with Starfield except they said "we need a new engine" and management was like lol no

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spiderdrake posted:

There's a conversation in the Intel thread about how said massive company hosed up their process lead and the theory is like
Engineer: This is hosed. We need a year and to build a new project from the ground up
Management: Lol no (five years later everything is still hosed)

I assume the same thing happened with Starfield except they said "we need a new engine" and management was like lol no

This happens in shitloads of companies, though. Sunk cost isn't limited to backers.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
I remember loading up Fallout 4 for the first time. I had to check the calendar to make sure I hadn't travelled back in time. It looked poo poo.

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 8, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Fallout 4 felt like they were really stretching to put another game in this ancient engine. Everything instanced, bland low res textures. I had fun with it but it absolutely felt dated day of release and it has me worried if they try to release another game in that engine without some major overhaul it's gonna feel terrible.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

sebmojo posted:

I mean look at their products though, they haven't had a new engine in like 20 years and Fallout 76 was clearly far beyond their capacity to develop adequately. I have no problem believing they are struggling with a new engine.

As with CIG it turns out that having all the money in the world doesn't matter if you don't actually have the ability to recognize and develop quality programmers. Good code doesn't happen when you replace one good, expensive coder with 10 college grads on an assembly line. You just get really expensive garbage.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
The female jittery hips showed how great the game is. You can walk AND jitter your hips.
That is quality mocap. And they probably used a famous actress, too.
I don't know what y'all complainin' about.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I saw a blurb that Elite Dangerous is going to let you walk on Planets soon. The boys must be happy about that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

This happens in shitloads of companies, though. Sunk cost isn't limited to backers.
Oh yeah, but this feels exactly the same. The whole engine thing is so beautifully Star Citizen. Star Citizen is so all-encompassing in fuckery. gently caress ups like from on high, gently caress ups like from shoestring DIY indie crap, just a massive portrait of every kind of gently caress up.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh yeah, but this feels exactly the same. The whole engine thing is so beautifully Star Citizen. Star Citizen is so all-encompassing in fuckery. gently caress ups like from on high, gently caress ups like from shoestring DIY indie crap, just a massive portrait of every kind of gently caress up.

In a sense the "never been done before" mantra is true: Star Citizen has made every possible mistake simultaneously during the development of a single project. Surely that has never been done before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

I mean look at their products though, they haven't had a new engine in like 20 years and Fallout 76 was clearly far beyond their capacity to develop adequately. I have no problem believing they are struggling with a new engine.

As with CIG it turns out that having all the money in the world doesn't matter if you don't actually have the ability to recognize and develop quality programmers. Good code doesn't happen when you replace one good, expensive coder with 10 college grads on an assembly line. You just get really expensive garbage.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda proper didn't do FO76, I think they handed it off to a small studio in Texas.