Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The White Dragon posted:

i mean a lot of well regarded games are garbage. just look at final fantasy 14

the city building LOOKS like pointless work but while you're "supposed" to be building up a large population, its actual purpose is to hide bonuses and useful items that would be awkward to put in a stage you only get one shot to go through. however, this is more apparent in the japanese version, where you level up much more quickly and reach the level cap at like 60% of the pop it requires in the international release (where you need to fully maximize your population to reach the max level).

Interesting. I wonder if that's because city builders are more popular outside of Japan? SimCity did get a SNES port. (I loved that as a kid, still stoked that Dr Wright is in Smash Bros)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
AGAB

:colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All Games Are Bonza, gottit

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
All Games Are Boners

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

i mean a lot of well regarded games are garbage. just look at final fantasy 14

the city building LOOKS like pointless work but while you're "supposed" to be building up a large population, its actual purpose is to hide bonuses and useful items that would be awkward to put in a stage you only get one shot to go through. however, this is more apparent in the japanese version, where you level up much more quickly and reach the level cap at like 60% of the pop it requires in the international release (where you need to fully maximize your population to reach the max level).

yeah i played through both versions, the japanese version is better because it has harder action stages but easier town building (and the pal version supposedly, which adds some stuff from the J version back in). actraiser has the same problem a lot of other quintet games have, which is that it doesnt communicate its mechanics very well to the player. you're supposed to get a good score on the action stages to get full population on the town building stages, which in turn feeds back into your power level on the action stages, the game doesn't tell you this. it's not mandatory to be able to beat the game but it does help a lot to be high level

it has easily the best jumping+sword fighting mechanics of any game though, just feels so nice and stiff and smooth at the same time, like castlevania but even better

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

christmas boots posted:

All Gamers Are Boomers

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the virtual boy is fine, it was unfairly dismissed, the red color is just a charming artifact of the cheap technology they used, complaining about it is a bit like complaining that the gameboy printer is lovely. it has some cool games too

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

related: i like when games are visibly tied to the technology of their medium and miss the days when this was actually mostly the case

for example, a pc engine game has a very specific appearance, because it was an 8 bit system with snes-like graphics. a playstation game has that weird dithering effect, a saturn game has square polygons. technological limitations are good, they lend specificity to a game and force creativity by having to work around the limits. today's interchangeable multiplatform games are bland, of course nintendo still kind of tries to create this effect but still the switch isn't graphically distinctive and the control scheme is a forced gimmick more than an inherent part of the system's technology

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Shibawanko posted:

the virtual boy is fine, it was unfairly dismissed, the red color is just a charming artifact of the cheap technology they used, complaining about it is a bit like complaining that the gameboy printer is lovely. it has some cool games too

with a library of only 13 titles the virtual boy has by far the best good game to poo poo garbage ratio of any system ever

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

Red Alarm kicked all kinds of rear end.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Red Alarm kicked all kinds of rear end.

I lost the manual to it ages ago but I’m 99.99% sure the manual said there were three stages and there were definitely at least five - when I beat the third stage the first time my mind was blown

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

related: i like when games are visibly tied to the technology of their medium and miss the days when this was actually mostly the case

for example, a pc engine game has a very specific appearance, because it was an 8 bit system with snes-like graphics. a playstation game has that weird dithering effect, a saturn game has square polygons. technological limitations are good, they lend specificity to a game and force creativity by having to work around the limits. today's interchangeable multiplatform games are bland, of course nintendo still kind of tries to create this effect but still the switch isn't graphically distinctive and the control scheme is a forced gimmick more than an inherent part of the system's technology

i'm really glad that pixel art has emerged as its own distinct art style, despite being completely unnecessary now. i wonder if it will stay around or if it is entirely banking on the nostalgia of 30 year olds who played original NES

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

yeah no i hate missable things, at least in longer games where you can't just easily replay them, but that's not the same as a secret, the hadoken thing or the super mario world secrets you can just go back to after you beat the game.

here's the reason i couldn't get into dark souls: i was having a pretty good time fighting skeletons in an old castle, and then suddenly i kill a skeleton guy who looks a little different, i look it up online and turns out it's actually a merchant who sells some stuff. i quit the game at that point because i didn't have an earlier save, and the merchant probably sold some poo poo i needed for a good playthrough. i don't need to 100% every game i play but i don't want to be locked out of 100% by some arbitrary action either

that merchant didn't have nothin you needed for a good playthrough, but if by that point you weren't already bathing in gamer enlightenment about DS, you were never going to "get into it" like the people screaming at everyone to try want you to.

imo I'm fine with missable stuff, but videogames are art so it's really up to whatever they're making, sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't. that said, videogames are also consumer entertainment products most of the time, and devs should be careful to invoke FOMO without good cause. It's going to turn people off, so it had better mean something when included.

Morrowind let you kill critical NPCs. Easier to make/load a save in that game, but you could also just roll with it. Kill that idiot moon sugar addict in Balmora, who cares! Morrowind is a robust enough game that completely cutting yourself out of the "main quest" storyline is genuinely a non-issue. Hundreds of hours played in that game, never once, even when I set out, have I beaten the main quest. There's always something else I was more interested in doing.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

As Wolf Link there's a really way to kill those tron-whatever monsters. They always show up in pairs of three. As Wolf Link, do the move that creates a circle around you and get all three monsters highlighted in the circle. Wolf Link then basically auto-kills all three.

I know, that's why it sucked fighting them, same exact strategy everytime, just wasting my time and wasn't fun to do compared to fighting enemies any other way.

d3lness posted:

People love Majora's Mask. Let's not act like popularity is indicative of how good gameplay actually is.

Agreed, Majora's Mask is an underdog considering how good it is.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rutibex posted:

i'm really glad that pixel art has emerged as its own distinct art style, despite being completely unnecessary now. i wonder if it will stay around or if it is entirely banking on the nostalgia of 30 year olds who played original NES

i think with modern pixel art games it really depends on the exact style and how it's used whether i'll like it. i don't like dungeon of the endless' art style for example, because it blends sort of indistinct pixel art with gratuitous particle effects and lighting (in general i think this is pretty ugly, like hotline miami or monaco, i really don't like those graphics). but i like the pixel art style of a game like mindustry because it's just the clearest way to show what's going on and works perfectly with the game.

there are several reasons to use pixel art but the main one is clarity, especially when you're dealing with hitboxes or when you're placing stuff on a map. sometimes it can also work well for a certain mood, like in brigador

man i'm just nonstop posting about games today, i think it's because i have an assignment due

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
your assignment is basically a formal post just write it out here so it doesn't feel like you're stuck working

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shibawanko posted:

you're supposed to get a good score on the action stages to get full population on the town building stages, which in turn feeds back into your power level on the action stages, the game doesn't tell you this. it's not mandatory to be able to beat the game but it does help a lot to be high level

score has nothing to do with your population, it's using the Wheat item on just one corn field before the town reaches lv3 and stops building fields, and never destroying it (which isn't too hard because wheat is immune to Earthquake). the presence of just one wheat field in an entire region raises its pop cap to the maximum :ssh:

e: actually i guess this really only applies to Filmore and Northwall, everywhere else will still produce fields at tech level 3. but it's extremely important to do if you're playing a non-jp cart

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 7, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I liked ActRaiser except for the parts where you had to be sidescroller.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Shibawanko posted:

i wanted a virtual boy when i was a kid. my parents wouldn't let me get one because there were all these safety warning stamped on the box - the games would pause themselves every fifteen minutes or so because of the health concerns, and lots of people would get headaches from playing it for any longer than a short time (there were even ridiculously hyperbolic articles citing concerns from scientist about how using the virtual boy could give you permanent vision loss and brain damage!) the technology wasn't even cheap at the time - the virtual boy cost 180 bucks retail. I'm not sure who made the sell/don't sell call on the virtual boy from the Nintendo side but it's amazing they even tried to sell it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Open world/sandbox stuff almost always just feels lazy to me. I feel like half the point of paying for a game is buying a cultivated experience, slapping together some systems and physics and saying "the game is what you make of it" is just a total copout.

There are exceptions, but I think largely the exceptions are because there is plenty of crafted narrative and gameplay arcs in the game they just don't necessarily force you to experience them on rails. Oblivion for example is very open worldy but what made it so interesting at the time wasn't the giant empty world but that they had really interesting and unique sidequests in all sorts of strange spots, the guild questlines for example could have basically been standalone experiences in games of their own.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i wanted a virtual boy when i was a kid. my parents wouldn't let me get one because there were all these safety warning stamped on the box - the games would pause themselves every fifteen minutes or so because of the health concerns, and lots of people would get headaches from playing it for any longer than a short time (there were even ridiculously hyperbolic articles citing concerns from scientist about how using the virtual boy could give you permanent vision loss and brain damage!) the technology wasn't even cheap at the time - the virtual boy cost 180 bucks retail. I'm not sure who made the sell/don't sell call on the virtual boy from the Nintendo side but it's amazing they even tried to sell it.

I briefly owned one before my parents made me sell it because of the safety warnings and articles and it was actually pretty cool. Having proper 3D was really cool. The Mario Tennis game on there kicked rear end.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

that merchant didn't have nothin you needed for a good playthrough, but if by that point you weren't already bathing in gamer enlightenment about DS, you were never going to "get into it" like the people screaming at everyone to try want you to.

Isn't that merchant at like the very beginning of the game? I don't think I really "got" dark souls until much later but I get feeling discouraged after killing an NPC, before realizing that you should kill most if not all of the NPCs

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I never got the hype about demon/dark souls being "hard". I played through the original demon souls and have seen bits and pieces of various dark souls, watched an LP. Don't get me wrong I think they are cool games with a nice atmosphere but "this is true gamer challenge" just leaves me with questionmarks. You can basically just brute force the entire series, I recall one of the really popular LP's here had a guy doing a blind run with two DS veterans coaching him as he went and he was just straight up bad at videogames, like practically watching your parent play bad, and he just slowly built up enough tank stats that he could just fatroll his way through every fight chugging potions all the way to the bank. The spectators kept hinting he would eventually be punished for not learning how to parry and such, but it literally never happened.

It's possible to play the game in a manner that makes it harder, my playthrough was a 2h dex glass cannon and basically I had to dodge or parry literally everything or I would die, the final bossman oneshot me with all his attacks. I ended up beating the game faster than my friend that was playing it at the same time as me so I ended up watching him do the final boss and he was so beefed up the heavily telegraphed attacks you were supposed to run away from would do like 20% of his hp and he just basically ran at the guy and button mashed until he won.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

Open world/sandbox stuff almost always just feels lazy to me. I feel like half the point of paying for a game is buying a cultivated experience, slapping together some systems and physics and saying "the game is what you make of it" is just a total copout.

There are exceptions, but I think largely the exceptions are because there is plenty of crafted narrative and gameplay arcs in the game they just don't necessarily force you to experience them on rails.

pure open world can be done with out hand crafting anything. minecraft is the perfect example, but the whole genre of survival games makes this untrue. the only open world games that fail are the ones that try shoehorn a linear RPG story into the format.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

pure open world can be done with out hand crafting anything. minecraft is the perfect example, but the whole genre of survival games makes this untrue. the only open world games that fail are the ones that try shoehorn a linear RPG story into the format.

yeah I just can't get into stuff like minecraft, that's what I meant. That sort of thing doesn't feel like a game to me, at that point I'd rather just do actual hobbies because it's just digital legos.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah I just can't get into stuff like minecraft, that's what I meant. That sort of thing doesn't feel like a game to me, at that point I'd rather just do actual hobbies because it's just digital legos.

There's really no reason they're mutually exclusive. My hobbies are worldbuilding, miniature painting, diorama building, writing, and more. Playing Minecraft isn't wasted hobby time because sometimes you get burnt out on crafting tiny worlds and just want to make a fun little castle and fend off zombies at night for a couple of hours. It's an entirely different kind of entertainment.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Rutibex posted:

i dare someone to poo poo talk Link to the Past. it can't be done :colbert:

I've never understood the hype for LttP. People treat it with the reverence of like a perfect game but as someone who first played it when it was re-released for the Gameboy, it felt disappointingly simple. Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons were way more interesting.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The venn diagram of people who think BotW is a great game and people with bad opinions about games is a square.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

link to the past is good and it's hard to really find something i don't like about that game, it's not as good as link's awakening but that's about all i have to complain

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

PinheadSlim posted:

There's really no reason they're mutually exclusive. My hobbies are worldbuilding, miniature painting, diorama building, writing, and more. Playing Minecraft isn't wasted hobby time because sometimes you get burnt out on crafting tiny worlds and just want to make a fun little castle and fend off zombies at night for a couple of hours. It's an entirely different kind of entertainment.

loving nerd. Wait, don't go in that room. It's not full of Gundam kits. No, you're in denial.

Also, how can somebody write the phrase "digital Legos" and not mean it to be a good thing?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

link to the past is good and it's hard to really find something i don't like about that game, it's not as good as link's awakening but that's about all i have to complain

yeah i feel safe calling Links awakening the best zelda. which is amazing considering it was made for a system with less power then the NES

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I'm not sure who made the sell/don't sell call on the virtual boy from the Nintendo side but it's amazing they even tried to sell it.

It was made by the guy that created the game and watch series, the gameboy, and worked on a bunch of the NES's greatest. His ideas all printed money before that, so he either had the clout to push it through or they had faith in him.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

I've never understood the hype for LttP. People treat it with the reverence of like a perfect game but as someone who first played it when it was re-released for the Gameboy, it felt disappointingly simple. Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons were way more interesting.

Link's Awakening is the more groundbreaking and better game, but a lot of its great elements are also present in LttP. It's hard to like one but not the other. I think it's just a matter of memory bias, LttP being more memorable because it has better AV quality

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I briefly owned one before my parents made me sell it because of the safety warnings and articles and it was actually pretty cool. Having proper 3D was really cool. The Mario Tennis game on there kicked rear end.

mario tennis for the virtual boy >>>>>>>> mario tennis for the GBC, which got insanely popular

idk maybe I just sucked at it but the gbc game was nearly impossible, I tried it again recently on the virtual console and I still was terrible at it. I was interested in Aces for the Switch but playing the gbc one literally instantly dissuaded me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
nintendo should let you strap the Switch to your eyes and play virtual console virtualboy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only 3d Zelda I liked was the Windwaker rerelease and even then its got huge stretches of boring nothing.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Rutibex posted:

nintendo should let you strap the Switch to your eyes and play virtual console virtualboy

they do have Labo VR so it's totally possible

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Now that Nintendo has made a handheld only version of the switch, they should make a TV only version that isn't totally gimped and 2 generations behind Sony so they can play modern games rather than ports of things from the 00s.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Waltzing Along posted:

Now that Nintendo has made a handheld only version of the switch, they should make a TV only version that isn't totally gimped and 2 generations behind Sony so they can play modern games rather than ports of things from the 00s.

Lol Nintendo's entire business model is based around being a decade behind everyone else, and selling you the same 6 games over and over again.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Lol Nintendo's entire business model is based around being a decade behind everyone else, and selling you the same 6 games over and over again.

Mario Kart, Mario Party, New Zelda, New Mario.... man you'd be lucky to get 6!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Isn't that merchant at like the very beginning of the game? I don't think I really "got" dark souls until much later but I get feeling discouraged after killing an NPC, before realizing that you should kill most if not all of the NPCs

IDK, you can play the game either way WRT to killing or not killing people. The "correct" path was always obtuse enough nobody's really doing it without spoiling it first. The skeleton merchant's usefuleness depended on what your starting class/items were and what you've done before reaching him. Just a handy low-level merchant for basic crap. In fact, killing him gives you the only two important items he sells, as well as a cool weapon he doesn't sell. He's placed in a place it's natural to accidentally or instinctively kill him, you can find posts of people confused how they got some cool items from seemingly worthless zombie mobs.

ArbitraryC posted:

I never got the hype about demon/dark souls being "hard". I played through the original demon souls and have seen bits and pieces of various dark souls, watched an LP. Don't get me wrong I think they are cool games with a nice atmosphere but "this is true gamer challenge" just leaves me with questionmarks. You can basically just brute force the entire series, I recall one of the really popular LP's here had a guy doing a blind run with two DS veterans coaching him as he went and he was just straight up bad at videogames, like practically watching your parent play bad, and he just slowly built up enough tank stats that he could just fatroll his way through every fight chugging potions all the way to the bank. The spectators kept hinting he would eventually be punished for not learning how to parry and such, but it literally never happened.

You're so comfortable and used to videogames and videogame logic that you no longer have a good frame of reference for difficulty. People have been saying DS is easy since the first time someone scoffed when someone said it was hard. You even watch professional gamers and compare them to someone who doesn't know how to play videogames at all. Dunno what to tell you man, it's obviously a hard videogame but you're too high level for these quests, sorry.