Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

nooneofconsequence posted:

if you don't almost die are you even lifting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Do ya'll have any recommends on a multi-grip bar that will work well in a 4 post rack? I think that's the next add to my collection.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

And of course, a week after I buy the plates, the place I bought the first set from has them in stock again for $40 a piece after being sold out for months.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Took a walk around my neighborhood and someone two blocks over has a full cage and a bunch of other equipment under a car port. Thinking of going over at night and stealing some gains. And no I can't go talk to them like a normal person.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Any tips or cues for improving my OHP form? I keep catching myself swinging the bar out in front of me instead of going straight up and it's causing my progress to stall, sometimes even regress.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Batterypowered7 posted:

Any tips or cues for improving my OHP form? I keep catching myself swinging the bar out in front of me instead of going straight up and it's causing my progress to stall, sometimes even regress.

You should be actively trying to get your head through/forward under the bar as it travels. If you're just thinking about pushing it straight up it will end up in front of you.

Tuck your elbows in at the bottom.

Tight glutes.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 4, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

You could learn the weird Rippetoe hip thrust press.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I've tried but it just feels like a distraction.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

That wouldn't correct a bar path error. I do the "double layback" press and the bar can still get in front of me.

How often are you doing OHP, OP? Volume? Generally just getting practice with the movement helps. Also variations can help your brain figure out new ways to approach a movement. Pin variations challenge position at the level you set the pins, might be worth a shot.

Pushing your head through is important like that other guy said. Have an intent of pushing the bar slightly backwards. Are you keeping your elbows directly below the bar? You want them to be a little in front of it actually, so that your forearms incline backwards.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

turd in my singlet posted:

That wouldn't correct a bar path error. I do the "double layback" press and the bar can still get in front of me.

How often are you doing OHP, OP? Volume? Generally just getting practice with the movement helps. Also variations can help your brain figure out new ways to approach a movement. Pin variations challenge position at the level you set the pins, might be worth a shot.

Pushing your head through is important like that other guy said. Have an intent of pushing the bar slightly backwards. Are you keeping your elbows directly below the bar? You want them to be a little in front of it actually, so that your forearms incline backwards.

There's so much loving poo poo with OHP and it is a lift that has plagued so many people, myself included, for no perceivable reason other than probably just poor shoulder mechanics from a number of reasons, bad mobility, bad posture or just unfortunate genetics.

A couple of things that might help to improve it are to go the most hardcore, eastern-european soviet-era angry bitter massage therapist you can find, tell him you're KGB get him to massage your shoulders. There's a lot of dark horrible trigger points in there that can be locking up and holding you back.

Another thing is to try stretching your lats, wide-grip chinup up (supinated) with a very slow controlled eccentric (down) movement for a couple of sets of 3-5 reps. Also work on your triceps and delts with other accessory work (dips, pulldowns, side and front raises etc etc)

I sometimes stall for no good reason and then just rocket backwards as well. It's a oval office of a lift. One of my friends here who competes in high-level strongman with incredible overhead strength told me he relies a lot on resting on his squeezed glutes, and when it comes to actual shoulder work, just overloading the gently caress out of them. In his words "don't give your shoulders a chance to know what heavy feels like. Train them heavy as gently caress, then go back the next day and if a lightweight feels heavy to press, just loving press it until you can't press any more. Then go in again and do it the next day. Repeat". He presses just about every day. He just works on overload. It seems to work well for him.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

turd in my singlet posted:

I work out three times a week, Monday/Wednesday/Friday, and I do barbell bent over rows or Pendlay rows, squats, bench/ohp, deadlifts, and bench/ohp each of those days. I alternate which of the presses goes first on the subsequent workout day.

I'll usually warm-up by doing a set with the empty bar, add weight and do another warm-up, then do *Mark Rippetoe voice* three sets a FIVES. I put enough weight that I can do five on the first set, with the ability to squeeze out a sixth rep if I really tried, five reps on the second set, and usually really struggle or outright fail to get five on the third set. Currently that's only 115lb at 140lb body weight.

Looking down at the bar, my arms do look like they're slightly inclined backward. I'll take a video on Friday and post it since there could be more wrong with my form that I'm not aware of.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Batterypowered7 posted:

Currently that's only 115lb at 140lb body weight.

That's 82% bodyweight for 5s which is a drat good weight for OHP. I'd actually say maybe back off with the weight a bit and only go up to RIR2/RPE8 maximum (whatever you like more) on all your work sets. Keep volume the same or even increase it a bit, just so you can train the movement.
Maybe look into what the Squat University guy puts out on his social media accounts. He is a bit more Oly specific but he adresses overhead mobility a ton of times so maybe there is something you could try for yourself, look for thoracic spine mobility.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Heavy singles are as great for OHP as they are for all aspects of life.

My shoulders are delicate and fatigue pretty quickly so I don't rate just throwing more volume at the problem. Build up to a couple of short, high intensity sets then drop the weight back to get through your 3x5 or whatever.

Then blast triceps as they can take it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I'm loving dying outside. I'm not sure this is tenable.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I'm trying to figure out a good 5 or 6 day split using only barbells and 53,70,88,106 # kettlebells.

Right now I'm just doing a single lift and rotate every day with taking a day off when I feel tired (once a week)

Squat Day,
Chin up Day (being considered),
OHP Day,
Deadlift Day,
Row Day,
Bench Day

I'm wondering about extending these just a little bit to cover all the minor bases outside of the big 4 lifts without doing isolation.

Also I cut my caffeine intake and dropped a ton of water weight, cortisol is a real thing.

bomb fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 5, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Throw in a lunge variation, some loaded carries, some rotation, and some knee extension movements and you've got yourself a pretty complete program.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

I'm loving dying outside. I'm not sure this is tenable.

It fuckin sucks lol. Humidity is a bitch

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I really want some 90lb powerblocks but I know that here in 6 months workout equipment will be on firesale

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Just did a 232.5 lbs x5 bench and the last rep took 8 seconds. Both my hams cramped midway in the rep too. Spotter could have taken it in like 3 different moments but let me grind it out and I'm thankful of that

UnfurledSails fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 7, 2020

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

bomb posted:

I really want some 90lb powerblocks but I know that here in 6 months workout equipment will be on firesale

depending on how things go it may just be on fire

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Looks like CrossFit is now a *No Crossfit Zone* too

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Very cool, tbh I suspected Rogue wouldn’t take the BLM side but I’m glad they’re speaking out

And also not surprised in the least that CrossFit founder is racist

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
He effectively blew up Reebok negotiations as well so loll. Elitefts also completely dropped all metal products from their site after their CEO posted some vile poo poo

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Given all the tactical-themed camouflage crossfit apparel and gear and giving glocks to podium winners is it any surprise CF is bootlickingly racist?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
They give podium placements glocks? Lol

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Their original site that used to post WOD also had some pretty racist poo poo on it.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I came here to check if all that was real.

Lol good gently caress them racists

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Did not expect elitefts to be woke

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Hopefully Rogue takes CF under its wing and moves it away from lameness, bans kipping pullups and makes it LW Strongman :getin:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

People nuking their business and brand by outing themselves as racist will never not be hilarious.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Thread title is especially relevant today

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Sludge Tank posted:

Hopefully Rogue takes CF under its wing and moves it away from lameness, bans kipping pullups and makes it LW Strongman :getin:

Nice

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Pretty sure Rogue have done other philanthropic stuff in the past and treat their workers well

Am still lolling at Glassman's heated lifting moment

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Rogue jumped early on moving to help make PPE and sponsors a pretty diverse selection of athletes including Rob Kearny.

Same with Elitefts, I don't think they would ever qualify as "woke" but Dave Tate is a guy that legit cares about teaching people and has put out videos and articles on fitness for special needs kids. But more importantly I think what happened with George Floyd opened the eyes for a lot of people who never directly had to confront what racism actually is in this country.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Well i am absolutely *shocked* to find out this huckster shithead is a racist, wowey-zowey

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think also that a lot of people have been looking for an excuse to not deal with Glassman for a long time. He's a colossal rear end in a top hat.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

Elitefts also completely dropped all metal products from their site after their CEO posted some vile poo poo

SBD is offering to replace Metal singlets and socks free of charge. Brilliant marketing move IMO.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Here are those videos for the OHP form check. No idea why Youtube refuses to render the side view at anything higher than 480p.

From the side (first set): https://youtu.be/Q074gQOiMIU

From the front, at an angle (second set): https://youtu.be/6i3C7eziUb4

That snap that sounds like someone snapped a #2 pencil is that painless shoulder click I mentioned many posts ago.

Watching the videos, I can see that I'm either twisting my torso or moving one of my arms further in front of me, causing the bar to be at an angle.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 9, 2020

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

The bar is ending up behind your head. For me it usually more center line or front of head. There also seems to be a lot of movement at the top of the lift to tuck under it. Your head and body shouldn’t need to move at all but I’m also barrel chested. Are you over extending your elbows? Your shoulders should stay packed as well, although I know there’s differing opinions on it.

I’m pretty sure when you are unpacking your shoulders you are pulling them back causing your body to adjust.

bomb fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Everyone has just been waiting to drop their agreement with Crossfit.