Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
#BanuLivesMatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Quavers posted:

:confused: Will it get medic / engineer / support roles ?

:trustme: Certainly something we'll want to incorporate eventually, but right now our priority is getting the combat feeling good in a combined arms scenario before moving onto more specialized roles. EDIT: As medical gameplay and other systems come online in future quarters for the PU, we'll be looking closely at how we can incorporate them into Theatres of War.

It's like Battlefield just without the different classes that Battlefield 1942 had 18 years ago :laffo:

Holy poo poo they got nothing

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

"Wow, Star Citizen looks jank as gently caress."

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sandweed posted:

post a 15 minute vid of you having fun instead.

sebmojo posted:

Please do.

Okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zArmlmMeedE

I take off from Delamar with a stock Drake Buccaneer, do a CS3 rated bounty hunt, and then fly back and land.

The only bug I encountered with this video is that the enemy AI broke at the end and they stopped moving. It can happen sometimes during a fight and it spoils the fun. This problem has existed for quite a while, though, as I remember seeing it back in 3.6.0. It probably existed before that too.

I forgot to throw my good components on my Buccaneer this patch so I was constantly dealing with overheating issues. The stock Buccaneer doesn't have adequate coolers to handle its powerful engines. I have fun doing combat missions with the Buccaneer because it is so incredibly nimble that you can maneuver yourself behind the AI and chase them, but I couldn't really do it that much in this video because of the overheating problem. If you overheat and blow your power system you basically die so I had to take it easy.

I also don't really do these bounty hunt missions anymore as the pay is worthless. I got 2500 aUEC + a 1500 aUEC bonus for that. By doing an unlawful claimjumper mission I could make 15000 aUEC + ~4000 aUEC in bonuses.

My OBS settings were also hosed up so it downscaled the video and added a black bar. I have a 16:10 monitor but Star Citizen's UI craps out at that aspect ratio so I have to play in 16:9 borderless windowed mode. OBS was set to 16:10 so you get a black bar and I didn't want to re-record the whole video just to fix that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

I can't get over the way this frost effect or whatever it's supposed to be makes the character look like they're wearing a hazmat suit to do bukkake cleanup. Who the gently caress thinks that looks good? 20 years ago maybe.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Man that bounty hunting video looks so cool. First it takes like 4 minutes to get to any combat and then you park your space ship and let the AI fly around you while you shoot at them for minutes at a time rotating your ship left and right while some white tect obscures a third of you horizontal space.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
That walking animation is killing me

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nalin posted:

Okay.

I take off from Delamar with a stock Drake Buccaneer, do a CS3 rated bounty hunt, and then fly back and land.

The only bug I encountered with this video is that the enemy AI broke at the end and they stopped moving. It can happen sometimes during a fight and it spoils the fun. This problem has existed for quite a while, though, as I remember seeing it back in 3.6.0. It probably existed before that too.

I forgot to throw my good components on my Buccaneer this patch so I was constantly dealing with overheating issues. The stock Buccaneer doesn't have adequate coolers to handle its powerful engines. I have fun doing combat missions with the Buccaneer because it is so incredibly nimble that you can maneuver yourself behind the AI and chase them, but I couldn't really do it that much in this video because of the overheating problem. If you overheat and blow your power system you basically die so I had to take it easy.

I also don't really do these bounty hunt missions anymore as the pay is worthless. I got 2500 aUEC + a 1500 aUEC bonus for that. By doing an unlawful claimjumper mission I could make 15000 aUEC + ~4000 aUEC in bonuses.

My OBS settings were also hosed up so it downscaled the video and added a black bar. I have a 16:10 monitor but Star Citizen's UI craps out at that aspect ratio so I have to play in 16:9 borderless windowed mode. OBS was set to 16:10 so you get a black bar and I didn't want to re-record the whole video just to fix that.

So other than the:
* AI that broke
* Default systems on your ship that aren't set up to work together
* Punishment for overheating being instant death
* Payout for the mission being worth so little as to discourage you from doing it
* Window not rendering correctly at your chosen aspect ratio

It worked perfectly, bug free!

I mean if you're having fun, by all means you do you, but I would not say this was a bug free performance, just bugs that have grown so routine they've become background noise to you

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 8, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nalin posted:

Okay.

thanks for posting this, it's good to see what the almost working version is.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

sebmojo posted:

thanks for posting this, it's good to see what the almost working version is.

If you squint you can almost see, were there no bugs, the outline of a solid 6/10 derivative space game, which is just about Roberts's sweet spot. This is assuming he can maintain a team that is better than he is, which is every team. Once they're done stripping the game back down to barebones flight, and open up the game to modders that can fix the visuals, there's very nearly a game here that can proudly take its place right behind Star Raiders for the 2600.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I had a surprisingly bug free (besides the constant jittering and broken NPCs) few hours during free fly week and even then I found it just incredibly boring. The game is designed to waste your time and when I finally got to do something fun (combat) it felt like a boring and confusing slog until the AI ship just decided to explode. There was almost no feedback on how much damage I was doing or if I myself was taking damage it was just a bunch of icons most of which seem to do or display nothing. Luckily the AI is brain dead so even my first time playing SC and fighting it was trivially easy to win. I quit pretty soon after because I just had no desire to see what else Star Citizen had to offer, the very basic loops it has are a complete bore.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah. It is all very, very weird. The Drake Buccaneer is like the only ship in the game that doesn't come with stock components good enough to fly without running into problems. It's probably because CIG made it as a big "gently caress you" to all the Cutlass Black owners who were complaining about how much of a trash ship it was which didn't conform to its advertised role at all. People gave Ben a lot of poo poo over the Cutlass to the point where CIG created the Buccaneer and let people CCU to it for free. Kinda funny how it is the one ship in the game with inadequate components. Oh, and it has massive shield holes in the front and has one of the lowest hull HPs in the game.

Sarsapariller posted:

You don't die, but if you overheat your power generator it shuts down and you lose all power, which means you stop moving and your shields disappear. In the middle of a fight this usually means the AI will promptly blow you up. I've complained about it before as it is way too punishing. You shouldn't be allowed to overheat your power generator.

Sarsapariller posted:

Well, I mean, it renders correctly, but it suffers from the problem that many games nowadays suffer from: UI gets cut off the screen. Many game devs end up designing for 16:9 and wider and don't think about how their UIs should scale for more square-ish aspect ratios. For a couple weeks after Last Oasis launched I couldn't even use the trade stations because of 16:10 UI issues.

Sarsapariller posted:

I mean if you're having fun, by all means you do you, but I would not say this was a bug free performance, just bugs that have grown so routine they've become background noise to you

It's rarely a bug-free performance. I was originally asked to give a trip report and I said it wouldn't be that interesting because by now I know how to avoid most debilitating issues that new players run into. It would just be a trip report about spawning in, doing some missions, and ending my session making money. Maybe upgrading a ship with my earnings. I'm not saying that the bugs don't exist, nor am I excusing CIG for them. I've been very vocal about CIG needing to focus less on features and more on squashing bugs.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Man that bounty hunting video looks so cool. First it takes like 4 minutes to get to any combat and then you park your space ship and let the AI fly around you while you shoot at them for minutes at a time rotating your ship left and right while some white tect obscures a third of you horizontal space.

If spending 4 minutes to get into combat is so off-putting for you, I would suggest not playing any games in the space genre. Even games with good reputations like Elite Dangerous have downtime where you have to browse missions boards, accept a mission, and then travel to the location.

I also did not park my space ship. I was flying around a lot, boosting and turning and stopping. The Buccaneer is a glass cannon and I would have exploded very quickly if I wasn't avoiding shots. Plus it has shield holes which make it even more of a death trap.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Nalin posted:

If spending 4 minutes to get into combat is so off-putting for you, I would suggest not playing any games in the space genre. Even games with good reputations like Elite Dangerous have downtime where you have to browse missions boards, accept a mission, and then travel to the location.

I also did not park my space ship. I was flying around a lot, boosting and turning and stopping. The Buccaneer is a glass cannon and I would have exploded very quickly if I wasn't avoiding shots. Plus it has shield holes which make it even more of a death trap.

Slow to a crawl and then do an long and awkward circle with your enemy as it blindly fires away from you; thrilling combat, 10/10, give Chris another 100 million!

I mean if you think that Star Citizen is good, go for it man, buy an Idris or two. I’m not here to convince any of its supporters to forsake it, but conversely it’s wayyy too late in the day to try to convince anyone here to change their minds.

I’ve played the game, I’ve experienced it’s combat, and it’s total poo poo. I mean I think Elite’s combat is boring, but it’s light years beyond this. Go play any modern space sim and you’ll have a much better combat experience and it won’t be buried within a broken pre-alpha in development hell.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Quavers posted:

This guy might be my favorite Citizen right now, he's so bitter :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpGBvGkIBpc
He is really mad about ED announcing space legs

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

Nalin posted:

Okay.

Thank you for posting. I have several questions:

Bucanner is generally one of the better ship for PvE bouty hunting? Mission on youtube frankly looked long and quite boring. And 2500UEC looks like nothing.
How many such mission you have to take to upgrade to next better ship?
Components upgrades to ships have insane prices in UAC?

And if I have only starter aurora, it is realistic to buy avenger/bucanner doing only missions/trading?

Otherwise I agree with other posters it can be 6/10 if they focus on space part, and iron out bugs, fix awfull map etc..

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

How much does the Buccaneer cost? Because I can understand you having a bad time taking an unupgraded Sidewinder out hunting, but not having something costing a lot being unusable out the box for a basic mission.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anticheese posted:

How much does the Buccaneer cost? Because I can understand you having a bad time taking an unupgraded Sidewinder out hunting, but not having something costing a lot being unusable out the box for a basic mission.

"Only" 110 USD.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Finally, a ship that doesn't punch above its weight

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Anticheese posted:

Finally, a ship that doesn't punch above its weight

"The Buccaneer has been designed from the ground up to fly and fight the way you live. No leather interiors or hyperpillows here: the ‘Bucc is a scrapper designed to maneuver and fight above its weight class. This rough-and-tumble frontier fighter can be maintained in the worst of conditions in order to keep real, working space crews alive."

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dwesa posted:

"The Buccaneer has been designed from the ground up to fly and fight the way you live. No leather interiors or hyperpillows here: the ‘Bucc is a scrapper designed to maneuver and fight above its weight class. This rough-and-tumble frontier fighter can be maintained in the worst of conditions in order to keep real, working space crews alive."

Lol, 15 “punches above it’s weight” ships later...

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Nalin posted:

Okay.

I watched 3/4 of this clip while I was waiting for something to render, and the entirety of the dogfighting is dragging your mouse to the left or right on a flat plane.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I think the trash fire that SC has become isn't due to the parts where things work. They're the things that CR micromanaged to the point of smeg. Stripping out all the FPS portions, the entire PU, and leaving the Hangar module alone with maybe a simple social hub. Then expanding on Arena Commander and making that a dynamic mission generator with varying maps and scenarios would make Star Citizen an extremely playable experience.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
FTR got sent a lot of hatemail from the Citizenry after his last video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1-5ZQWwndg

marumaru
May 20, 2013

here's a take so hot even FUDsters will disagree: i think E:D's strategy of making space combat play more like ww2 plane combat (pitch authority > yaw authority) is a good idea

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inacio posted:

here's a take so hot even FUDsters will disagree: i think E:D's strategy of making space combat play more like ww2 plane combat (pitch authority > yaw authority) is a good idea

Maybe because they thought about stuff and tested it:

Recent thread in /refunds on Elite posted:

As per the dev behind this (Mike Evans)

Suffice to say a low yaw rate is a fundamental part of our games aesthetics and a corner stone to our flight model that we at frontier like the way it is. We're not changing it, for to do so would be to compromise our own vision for what Elite: Dangerous is and what it's going to be. I don't give a drat what all the other space games have done in the past, nor do I care that our yaw rates are apparently even slower than a plane's is (though every time I've tried doing a pure yaw turn in IL-2 I've stalled my plane before I got anything that even resembled a steady and fast turn rate).

Fast yaw and pitch in a space game is a video game trope of the highest order along with banner arrows sliding around the screen and compasses telling you where to fly all the time.

I'm almost certain that other developers just implement those features because they've been so prevalent rather than actually reassessing whether the game needed them or could be even better without them! We found for example that the compass that pointed you towards your target at all times made combat too easy to end in stalemate of circling. As soon as we tried removing it all of a sudden it was more exciting to fight someone because they could give you the slip whilst you weren't glancing at your sensors and even if you did pay attention to the sensors the difference in the way the information is presented can still mean you don't quite stay on the target's tail perfectly, again providing more opportunities for them to turn the tide of the battle.

Suffice to say we wanted Elite to feel like star wars in terms of how the ships move by banking/rolling and pitching through manoeuvres opposed to the yaw and pitch based FPS style movement most other space games offered (where roll plays little or no part). That limitation to having to do your main directional change manoeuvring by pitching makes the flight path taken to be more cinematic and means a skilled player can predict the manoeuvres of an opponent in advanced by observing their current roll position relative to themselves only. So long as they match the roll quickly enough they can always follow through the inevitable pitch manoeuvre effectively and maintain the chase. If the target could yaw or pitch effectively then it's much harder to assess what they're going to do as they're current roll position doesn't really matter any more.

Finally realism has played no part whatsoever in any of our design discussions about the flight model. We don't care what would be realistic as we only care what the game play experience is when flying these ships and so far we feel we're hitting the right notes for the majority of our audience.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Nalin posted:

played the game

Thank you for your service :911:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Danknificent posted:

Thank you for your service :911:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

Trip Report:
Okay so after a couple of days of Star Citizen playing I have reached the point where I never want to look at it again, or at least for another year. What turned it from a relatively dull trade simulator into the most infuriating waking nightmare? Criminal gameplay. Let me detail this shitshow for you:

not to defend star citizen but generally in an online game that provide a way to grief people if you want to have fun you have to embrace it and be one of the griefers. Otherwise you only ever are a victim of the griefing and thats never fun

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

I am immersed in playdoh where I form the face of my perfect person

Behold, I am an artist, and should be paid by the company patreon directly

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

weird how it actually feels better than star citizen's "yeah just do whatever" approach huh

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Are people still defending this project? Why?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

man that "update" email is just sad lmao

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sneeze Party posted:

Are people still defending this project? Why?

Money goes in, excuses come out, repeat until dead

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Finally realism has played no part whatsoever in any of our design discussions about the flight model. We don't care what would be realistic as we only care what the game play experience is when flying these ships and so far we feel we're hitting the right notes for the majority of our audience.

I personally love this design decision. gently caress realism and go ham on what the devs think is worthwhile.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

TIL you can "frame" good citizens into prison

bravo!
emergent gameplay!
buy an idris!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

no_recall posted:

I personally love this design decision. gently caress realism and go ham on what the devs think is worthwhile.

Staying true to a vision is good when your vision involves an aspect of something desirable

Star Citizen on the other hand is the true vision of a car salesman. Beep beep, I'm a discounted jeep, now turn the key and watch the smoke billow from both the exhaust and the bonnet and hand me a few thousand dollars to get repairs done for real this time

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

quote:

Finally realism has played no part whatsoever in any of our design discussions about the flight model. We don't care what would be realistic as we only care what the game play experience is when flying these ships

Chris Roberts hisses and retreats into the shadows.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

So other than the:
* AI that broke
* Payout for the mission being worth so little as to discourage you from doing it

It worked perfectly, bug free!

$300M and they almost have something that's as fun as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLn8sYkQT90&t=162s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Chris Roberts hisses and retreats into the shadows.

And the best part is that Chris just keeps repeating, over and over, 'fidelity' or 'realism' but when the rubber hits the road, his "game" is the least fidelitious, least realistic game it can possibly be, and it feel absolutely terrible. Even an unrealistic game can be OK if it feels real or moves in an intuitive way, and of course SC does not. It truly is the absolute worst.