Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Is it too much to hope that Avon and Somerset Police's investigation turns up approx 10,000 witness statements along the lines of "I'm Spartacus"?

Edit: What is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm sorry, is lynching not a federal crime yet :psyduck:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm 99% sure I saw the statue walk and trip into the water

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A big flaming stink posted:

greetings from hellworld

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

greetings from hellworld

https://twitter.com/ltrain87x/status/1269738426670161922

lmao i hate the democrats so much

They should pledge to make Internal Affairs divisions act how they are portrayed in film and TV so they do actually go around putting cops in prison for saying mean things rather than just helping them get away with murder.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

greetings from hellworld

https://twitter.com/ltrain87x/status/1269738426670161922

lmao i hate the democrats so much

- if you're murdered by the police you might get some money back

- the police officer who murdered you might go in the Naughty Book

- the police aren't allowed to murder you by strangulation any more

- the police might find it harder to murder you from a literal tank

- the police officer who murdered you might get his wrist slapped by a different person

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I mean...lots of things aren't a federal crime. Murder, for example. Federal law is generally meant to cover inter-state crimes (or crimes occurring on directly United States-owned land).

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1269724206440370178
thanks boris, i'm sure this will help the situation

Please tell me those likes are supported by bots because those are Trump tweet numbers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ending qualified immunity (in general, not just for cops) is a good idea though, so I'll wait to see how it gets watered down so that the people writing it are still kept above the law.

bessantj posted:

Thanks (and to you Tindalos), that makes sense. It didn't ring true for me when Murray was saying it but I don't have enough of an insight into the LGBT community to see what is actually going on there.
It's not a million miles away from the idea that bi, pan, and 'neither gay nor straight' being more popular as identifiers now is somehow erasing gay and lesbian people, just with that added shot of 19th century transmisogyny.

You do hear the first one sometimes from older gay men and gold star lesbians, like "we've fought too hard to let them take this away from us and turn everything into a mish mash" but like what were you actually fighting for? If you were fighting for the right for everyone to love who they want without prosecution by the state or persecution by society then surely a majority of under 24s saying they're neither gay nor straight is winning. If you were fighting for the right to say 'I'm gay' without anyone being opposed then surely a proliferation of sexual identities is winning. The only battles being lost by this continuing are heteronormatism and the ones that place emphasis on gay separatism rather than society.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Q: Do you want the transition to be extended?

Starmer says the government says it can get a deal. Labour will hold them to that.

Q: Sadiq Khan says there should be an extension.

Starmer repeats the point about holding the government to account. It is important to avoid no deal.

Q: So if we were facing no deal, you would extend?

Starmer says Labour lost the election. It cannot decide this now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

I mean...lots of things aren't a federal crime. Murder, for example. Federal law is generally meant to cover inter-state crimes (or crimes occurring on directly United States-owned land).
If you murder someone in Florida it will usually be dealt with in Florida, but there's a bunch of ways it can quite easily become a Federal matter if they want to make it a Federal matter.

There's the obvious ones, like if you cross state lines or murder a Federal official or member of the government, but there's some others that can be prosecuted federally like drug murders and murder during the robbery of a bank, even if you never personally left your state.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Lungboy posted:

Starmer says the government says it can get a deal. Labour will hold them to that.

Starmer repeats the point about holding the government to account. It is important to avoid no deal.

God what a waste he is

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

As someone pointed out, the thing being talked about in that thread is not a gotcha. Hermione is AFAB, and doing something to make her body male does not change the fact that she is female. If anything it's proof Rowling was a TERF all along.

(And in reality, that whole tweet thread exists because people who refuse to read another book are analysing a story written for children from the perspective of adults. It's not a good tweet.)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Was it one of the Egyptian civilizations that believed that, or someone in the Levant/Mesopotamia?

I mean there wasn't really 'one of' the Egyptian civilisations that believed that in the ancient world, they're fairly famous for having one long continuous one for thousands of years pretty much til the Arabs rock up, or at least the Romans. But yeah, they'd do that. Check out what happened to my boy Akhenaten's gear after his death.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Starmer is really somehow even worse than we all knew he was going to be isn't he lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

Q: What is your policy on Europe now?

Starmer starts by saying he is determined to root out antisemitism in Labour. (The caller mentioned that she is Jewish.)

He says the UK has left the EU. “The leave/remain divide is over,” he says. He says the issue now is what the UK’s relationship must be with the EU.

completely loving worthless

e: lmao I didn't see everyone else had posted it too, what a gobshite non answer that I'm sure will win back the Brexit voters who will definitely not still see him as a metropolitan remain elite

the deadline for the extension is the end of the month and they're definitely not getting a deal, Keir dear

also it will be more difficult to blame the government for no deal Brexit if you weren't actually opposing it

how is this "constructive opposition"

XMNN fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 8, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jedit posted:

As someone pointed out, the thing being talked about in that thread is not a gotcha. Hermione is AFAB, and doing something to make her body male does not change the fact that she is female. If anything it's proof Rowling was a TERF all along.

(And in reality, that whole tweet thread exists because people who refuse to read another book are analysing a story written for children from the perspective of adults. It's not a good tweet.)

True, but the idea that identity is linked to physical expression (has vagina = woman) has always been one of JKR's arguements hasn't it? And this thread points out that in this section that's not at all what happens, Hermione is still "she" no matter what her physical form?

e: i agree on the Harry Potter readers, this seemed more trying to use JKR's own words against her, which i'm all in favour of if it works.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Junior G-man posted:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1269906519539277824?s=20

Starmer straddling the fence so hard to keep Workington Racist on board. gently caress you Sir 20 Points Ahead.

This isn't even straddling the fence, this is coming down firmly on the statue nonce side of the fence.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just lol at the idea of doing a call-in show when you don't intend to take any positions on anything.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

There's the obvious ones, like if you cross state lines or murder a Federal official or member of the government, but there's some others that can be prosecuted federally like drug murders and murder during the robbery of a bank, even if you never personally left your state.

The bolded is what I meant by there having to be some kind of interstate connection, yeah. I'm curious what you can be prosecuted for federally if you, a native of Baltimore, perhaps a chap called Omar, off some other chap who's a native of Baltimore, in Baltimore, because he ripped off your stash?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I've been willing to give starmer a lot more leeway than most of you lot but that was loving abysmal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've been willing to give starmer a lot more leeway than most of you lot but that was loving abysmal.

Keir Starmer couldn't lead an alcoholic to an off-licence.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

"Not Keir, Reek!"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Sure, he was abysmal. But he was abysmal in such a forensic manner!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

The bolded is what I meant by there having to be some kind of interstate connection, yeah. I'm curious what you can be prosecuted for federally if you, a native of Baltimore, perhaps a chap called Omar, off some other chap who's a native of Baltimore, in Baltimore, because he ripped off your stash?
If they really want to find a way, e.g. because it's generated massive notoriety (like with the bank robberies in the great depression inconveniencing the rich) or because the legal system of the state is viewed to be doing a terrible job, they can usually find a way.

Like say a chap called Omar is killing people for their stash, and the police are ignoring it because 'blacks killing blacks', and then he kills someone who makes it A Thing, because they're drug killings the Feds can usually build a case that because in one of the cases the dealer that was killed got their stash from a supplier who drove to Philadelphia to buy it from the Philly Crew, Omar indirectly did a Federal crime.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ative-overnight

Guardian with one of the stupidest takes possible today. Accuses 'the left' (a global group including people with widely differing political beliefs and also scientists) of callously ignoring economic victims of the pandemic by supporting restrictions instead of simply choosing the lesser of 2 evils. Just ignores what would have happened without lockdown and goes for the classic 'no one really knows anything about the virus', so obviously all the public health advice is basically just made up. Also as with many centre right pieces it re-frames that deaths due to economic depression are some sort of inevitable fact of nature that we can do nothing about rather than direct consequences of deliberate choices made in government policy. All the victims of the financial crisis are just people who died due to unavoidable consequences of the natural order and not also because nobody made any serious effort to save them, instead focusing on protecting the fortunes of the rich. Since I'm sure they will fight tooth and nail to do the same thing again all those deaths are on 'the left' now apparently. Standard claims of 'politicising science' as well whenever they don't want to agree with whatever the conclusion is.

I'm sure there is a number of deaths that would happen even if we actually tried to prevent it this time but I find it hard to believe that number is greater than the deaths that would have happened from an uncontrolled pandemic or even our own poorly controlled pandemic.

I thought initially it was just a bad coronavirus take but while the author superficially says the right things about the BLM protests it reads almost exactly like the American right wing anti protest hot takes. The thrust basically boils down to 'how can you say lockdown was important and now support the protests' which has been one of the main anti BLM talking points as well as focusing disproportionately on the looting.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bessantj posted:

EDIT: Plus its not as if slavery has been consigned to history, it wasn't that long ago people were arrested in the U.K. for keeping slaves. I dread to think how many people are still enslaved in the U.K. today.

This is one of the things that annoys me about the whole 'modern day slavery' thing. The literal point and definition of slavery is that it is the legal ownership of human beings. If your slave escapes, goes to a copper, and you get banged up because of it, that is not slavery, it is false imprisonment. When it is slavery then the copper arrests the slave and returns him to you for a whipping. That's how you tell the difference.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
On the statue, has anyone seen the photo of it surrounded by protest signs laid up against the plinth, with a protestor kneeling, fist in the air, on top?

loving THAT needs to be the statue. I would dearly love to see that plinth, as it currently is, surrounded by bronze copies of all the signs, with a protestor - not a specific one, just A Person Like You, commemorated.

The photo is incredibly powerful, the statue would be too.

The beaten up rusty Colston can go in a museum somewhere in a display of 'poo poo we used to do to honour horrible people' along with Churchill and all the slaver generals from the US revolutionary war.

And all the monarchs.

And loving Cecil loving Rhodes.

And Thatcher.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Algol Star posted:

I thought initially it was just a bad coronavirus take but while the author superficially says the right things about the BLM protests it reads almost exactly like the American right wing anti protest hot takes. The thrust basically boils down to 'how can you say lockdown was important and now support the protests' which has been one of the main anti BLM talking points as well as focusing disproportionately on the looting.
He's written a lot of words to say "I don't know how harm reduction best practice works in the face of things that are actually happening."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
God, I've never been more proud of my city than I did yesterday. I was about 100m away when the statue came down, I couldn't see it but I heard the cheers for it and then I got in closer for the speeches they did afterwards, which were all completely loving rad and I hope find their way online in full. The whole day was just incredible, there were so many people that turned out. I remember walking up to Castle Park and I couldn't even see any grass cause the entire place was covered in people. It really felt revolutionary, like there was a way we could build a better world. I'm very grateful to Bristol's black community for letting us be a part of that space.

Also everyone should listen to the latest Praxiscast ep cause we had a really great discussion that covered so much.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

thespaceinvader posted:

On the statue, has anyone seen the photo of it surrounded by protest signs laid up against the plinth, with a protestor kneeling, fist in the air, on top?
I have not but I would like to

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Algol Star posted:

because it is an American right wing anti protest take
author's not a regular Guardian columnist. it's a guest piece by a NYT writer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Algol Star posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ative-overnight

Guardian with one of the stupidest takes possible today.

Why does a "cultural critic" writing an article about science?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Borrovan posted:

I have not but I would like to

Not got the protestor kneeling but

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

thespaceinvader posted:

The beaten up rusty Colston can go in a museum somewhere in a display of 'poo poo we used to do to honour horrible people' along with Churchill and all the slaver generals from the US revolutionary war.

I was thinking that yesterday. the statue is now a piece of history that deserves preservation for future generations to learn about the 2020s.
but what's the appropriate length of time to wait before fishing it out?

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/BristolCouncil/...879066984878082

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Cerv posted:

I was thinking that yesterday. the statue is now a piece of history that deserves preservation for future generations to learn about the 2020s.
but what's the appropriate length of time to wait before fishing it out?

When there's a general agreement that there is racial equality in the UK. It should stay in the river until then, gathering barnacles. The more hosed up it looks by the time it comes out will be a signifier of how much we didn't listen.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is it fair to say Starmer is a racist then? Or at least willing to appease racists? Which is to say; racist.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it fair to say Starmer is a racist then? Or at least willing to appease racists? Which is to say; racist.
~electability~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

BizarroAzrael posted:

There has never been a non racist PM, so this is what electable means

e: fucks sake Borrovan!