Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Blursed

https://www.first4figures.com/havel-s-ring.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ya there are some cool enemies in DS3 but I don't like fighting the outrider knights or the big dog guy on the bridge cause they just don't seem balanced.

The big dog guys actually aren't too bad once you get more familiar with their attacks. You fight so few of them in vanilla and they hit so hard that they feel bullshit, but they're pretty predictable and easy to dodge as long as you don't panic and know what to do. By the time I stopped playing Cinders (which optionally adds a lot more of those type of enemies) I was starting to get pretty consistent with outrider knights, but they're still a big pain. Fighting them like typical Dark Souls knight enemies and sticking close while circling around actually works pretty well, you just have to be careful of the frostbite aura. Cinders (optionally, I'm pretty sure) adds a bunch of the big Aldritch spiders that they often have higher stats relative to you than they did in vanilla, and I feel like they might be the most frustrating of the miniboss type enemies.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i don't think i'll ever get comfortable with outriders. that's just a bad enemy design. they have a deadly combination of fast/unclear telegraphs, unpredictable patterns, and just flailing and jumping all over the drat place when fought.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

My partner lives in Texas right now which is five thousand miles away and our engagement rings were copies of the name-engraved rings from Dark Souls 2 so while we’re set apart by convoluted time and space we can still connect in lieu of a password system. :3:

dark souls rings are good is what i’m saying

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The outrider knights are funny because you could tell they were like "poo poo... we have this lovely squat booty model from Bloodborne.... how do we integrate it into Dark Souls in a way that's not too distracting?"

blackguy32 posted:

The only thing I dislike about Dark Souls 3 is that your enemies basically have infinite stamina and can just attack for days.

Also, I think Archdragon peak broke me for the time being. I got a bit annoyed with that Havel armor wearing rear end in a top hat and the even bigger lighting sword rear end in a top hat that just seem to tank hits and swing endlessly. I think I will have to come back to the game later.

There is something different about Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 combat that I can't put my finger on, but they are both "faster paced" but I prefer Bloodborne's for some reason.

The key differences in blood vial popping, rallying back HP from a hit, quick jump dashes, and the nature of parrying with a pistol in Bloodborne vs DS3's estus chugs, shields, dodge rolls, and the way parries/backstabs work does a lot to change the speed of combat and reactivity of the player character relative to the enemies.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you're right broadly speaking but bloodborne dodge frame data is almost the same as ds3 rolls. it's like 2 frames less recovery or something, mostly it just looks different.

low equip weight ds1 ninjaflip can actually also be better framewise than ds3 rolls which is pretty funny

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

IronicDongz posted:

you're right broadly speaking but bloodborne dodge frame data is almost the same as ds3 rolls. it's like 2 frames less recovery or something, mostly it just looks different.

low equip weight ds1 ninjaflip can actually also be better framewise than ds3 rolls which is pretty funny

See I actually think that kind of sucks and it's why they call it roll souls 3. They nerfed poise and made it very easy to have a roll that is close to DS1 ninja flip and way better than any other DS1 roll, what else are people gonna do besides mash roll?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

IronicDongz posted:

Bloodborne does have one extra quirk to its dodge that DS3 doesn't. If you mistime a parry and trade blows with an enemy, you can dash forward out of the flinch super fast, close the distance with the enemy while they're still in the parry stun, and land the visceral to recover all your rally health. It's a wonderful little way to incentivize parries because even if you trade damage, as long as your parry goes off you can recover most of what you lost from the trade.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

feelix posted:

See I actually think that kind of sucks and it's why they call it roll souls 3. They nerfed poise and made it very easy to have a roll that is close to DS1 ninja flip and way better than any other DS1 roll, what else are people gonna do besides mash roll?
I agree, I don't like having a fast roll that is super easy to get and has reduced stamina cost. I'm just saying this because fairly often people talk about enemies in ds3 being balanced for a bloodborne pace of combat but without the better dodges from bloodborne which makes it unfair, which isn't really true because the dodges are mostly the same.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Bloodborne does have one extra quirk to its dodge that DS3 doesn't. If you mistime a parry and trade blows with an enemy, you can dash forward out of the flinch super fast, close the distance with the enemy while they're still in the parry stun, and land the visceral to recover all your rally health. It's a wonderful little way to incentivize parries because even if you trade damage, as long as your parry goes off you can recover most of what you lost from the trade.
frankly the best thing about parries in bb is that they let you parry almost literally any enemy that exists, unlike every dark souls game where it's pretty hit or miss and usually only backstabble humanoid enemies can be parried.
viscerals from staggers was a great thing to bring over though.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Quickstep forward into visceral is probably the best feeling action you can take in a Souls game

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

IronicDongz posted:

frankly the best thing about parries in bb is that they let you parry almost literally any enemy that exists, unlike every dark souls game where it's pretty hit or miss and usually only backstabble humanoid enemies can be parried.
viscerals from staggers was a great thing to bring over though.

I'd agree with you there. Broadening the base of parryable enemies to cover nearly everything, including major bosses, feels fantastic and does a lot to feed into the wild energy Bloodborne wants you to play the game with. DS3 monsters are fast and aggressive, and I feel that was kind of inevitable with the expectations and skill ceilings experienced players wanted out of the game. There was already some of that in DS2, and both are navigable with the tools the game gives you, but the expectations in how to approach enemies just shifts between Bloodborne and DS3.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nuns with Guns posted:

The key differences in blood vial popping, rallying back HP from a hit, quick jump dashes, and the nature of parrying with a pistol in Bloodborne vs DS3's estus chugs, shields, dodge rolls, and the way parries/backstabs work does a lot to change the speed of combat and reactivity of the player character relative to the enemies.

This probably checks out. Something about the Dark Souls combat feels lacking to me. Like the more I play the less I like, but the opposite for Bloodborne and Sekiro happened. Once I got passed a certain skill, I was hooked. It's also probably because I'm sick of Dark Souls.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My only issue with the poise change in DS3 is that it felt like it was the only real reason to wear heavy armour. Damage reduction from armour feels non-existent in the souls game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Golden Goat posted:

My only issue with the poise change in DS3 is that it felt like it was the only real reason to wear heavy armour. Damage reduction from armour feels non-existent in the souls game.

I felt pretty dang tanky in DS1 after going out of my way to maximize my protection values, but I do agree that the scale is super wonky. You end up with a really truncated "this insta-kills me" -> "this leaves me with 5 health" -> "this kills me in two hits" sort of thing. Not helped by all of the values being really granular and opaque - does XYZ enemy just do a shitload of damage or do they do a non-obvious damage type I'm weaker against? :iiam:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Golden Goat posted:

There is definitely some crazy armor reduction in DS1 if you upgrade your armor. Try putting on a set of +5 Giant's and running around the Burg, nothing can hurt you, NPC or player, except other twinks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The way Defense stats in the Souls games work is insane. DS3's Absorption make sense, being a flat % reduction, but the backing 'Defense' stats in the rest of the series is just complete nonsense. It compares your defense with the incoming attack, and if it's below or above certain thresholds, you receive some fractional resistance or added damage. That's also why split damage weapons are so weak, typically, because you have to beat a certain Defense threshold to actually do meaningful damage; increasing your AR by even 5-10 points can end up with you doing like, 10-25% more damage or something crazy like that. It's really strange and I'm not sure the math is fully understood, even today.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also what attacks check which types of defense is often pretty wonky. most attacks are mostly or entirely 'physical' damage, including thrusting attacks and iirc firebombs

in ds1 the lightning that lizard casters throw does magic damage. also the fireballs that necromancers throw do magic damage. also the red explosions that demon firesage does do magic damage.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

feelix posted:

There is definitely some crazy armor reduction in DS1 if you upgrade your armor. Try putting on a set of +5 Giant's and running around the Burg, nothing can hurt you, NPC or player, except other twinks.

Since they removed armour upgrades along with poise in DS3 it just sorta stripped making heavy armour feel like a tank.

Though it's still good for fashion. The most important part of souls.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Cruising thru with my first Int build. 60 Int, GHSA, and a ÷9 crystal longsword. My first roadblock was the demon prince in ringed city which seemed to resist everything but lightning. Currently stuck on the dragon :bang:

I don't play magic builds much, but I found this easier than my 30/30 pyro even. Also, why have I never used hidden body before? Holy poo poo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’m doing my first magic run right now (specifically a build optimized for killing bosses with pestilent mist) and hidden body is indeed quite awesome.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

GutBomb posted:

I’m doing my first magic run right now (specifically a build optimized for killing bosses with pestilent mist) and hidden body is indeed quite awesome.

Oh yeah, I've been making great use of mist. Mimics never seen it comin.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

GutBomb posted:

You should consider trying a Cinders magic-user run next as a comparison. Regenerating FP, tons of new spells, lots of different buffs from new or changed equipment.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I can reliably kill the first phase of nameless king with minimal damage, but the second phase?

This is harsh... Evaluate me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Don't feel bad, phase 1 is the warm up and phase 2 is the base game's superboss, he's meant to be hard as hell

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Nameless King is really a motherfucker. I hate having to go through the first phase every time, too. If you’re looking for some advice on the fight, a shield with high lightning block helps a lot. An upgraded Lothric Knight Shield, if you have the strength, makes a really big difference. Also, he’s very easy to beat with ranged attacks. If you keep your distance and plink away with a bow or crossbow, he’ll spend a lot of the fight slow-walking towards you. His gap closers are generally very telegraphed and easy to dodge compared to his melee combos.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

blackguy32 posted:

I can reliably kill the first phase of nameless king with minimal damage, but the second phase?

This is harsh... Evaluate me.

It's one hell of a fight.

Prince Lothric is very sensitive to lightning. Get some resin and try to stab him when he falls off. Switch the lock on so all attacks focus on the little guy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The greatshield you can make from the dragonslayer armor soul pretty much trivializes nameless king. I basically never used shields in DS3, but that strategy hadme wondering if they've secretly been really good this whole time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they have. greatshields are extremely safe, especially with a weapon that can shieldpoke. greatlance is the best choice for that(for pve) because it can shieldpoke and also naturally scales with str

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Playing Cinders and

- it's fun as hell and nice to see a mod that isn't just HARDER
- this is my first run on pc so the cheevos are popping in an insane order
- Vordt really loving sucks. Like I've never learned how to read his second phase.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

I can't believe they're making me buy a PS5 so I can play Demon Souls Remastered.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
i'm gonna wait until the ps5 can be emulated and finally play demon's souls when i'm 80yrs old

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

kramering into this thread like a big smuggo to say I beat Champion Gundyr on my first try ever

I didn't think my tried and tested tactic of dodging attacks, hitting the boss once and running away (repeat until dead) would work but heyo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Grats I beat him on my first go too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvWWk-V-8s

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Quaint. I beat him on my zeroeth try.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I beat him at the very beginning of the game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
he killed me, making me the victor

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Hey all. I'm playing Demon's Souls in preparation for Demon's Souls. I'm still early in the game (SL16), but I'll put the rest of the post in spoilers just in case.
I'm in the Stonefang Tunnel and I'm using a battle axe and a winged spear. I made it to the spider, but I don't think I opened a shortcut on the way there. I go over the bridge, into the building, turn left and there's a miner who aggroes me as well as three dogs. Then I duck into the narrow staircase with three miners. Is there no other way to do this? Also, am I going to spend 75% with only half my health bar?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Spermando posted:

Hey all. I'm playing Demon's Souls in preparation for Demon's Souls. I'm still early in the game (SL16), but I'll put the rest of the post in spoilers just in case.
I'm in the Stonefang Tunnel and I'm using a battle axe and a winged spear. I made it to the spider, but I don't think I opened a shortcut on the way there. I go over the bridge, into the building, turn left and there's a miner who aggroes me as well as three dogs. Then I duck into the narrow staircase with three miners. Is there no other way to do this? Also, am I going to spend 75% with only half my health bar?

I cannot remember the geometry so my answer to your first question is "i 'unno" but to the second you are going to spend substantially more than 75% of the game with only a half health bar.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Spermando posted:

To your second question: You will spend the vast majority of the game with less than your max health. Whether or not that number is 50% is up to you, but based on your question, you missed something from 1-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Care to explain what that something is?