Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I bought 1846 because I can't imagine playing out a 5 hour game of 1830 that was determined in the first 20 minutes by the auction. But if you think you'll be playing regularly then 1830 makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PerniciousKnid posted:

I bought 1846 because I can't imagine playing out a 5 hour game of 1830 that was determined in the first 20 minutes by the auction. But if you think you'll be playing regularly then 1830 makes sense to me.

Oh 1830 is not determined by the auction unless you've played like 200 games of it and can count how many toothpicks are on the ground at a glance.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CommonShore posted:

Oh 1830 is not determined by the auction unless you've played like 200 games of it and can count how many toothpicks are on the ground at a glance.

That said, overpaying for something could be quite the handicap.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SelenicMartian posted:

A guy who worked with him ended up at Microprose and worked on :airquote:Sid Meier's:airquote: Railroad Tycoon and Civilization.

Bruce Shelley!!!! Love him as a developer of board games. He worked with Tresham on 1830. The rumor is that Tresham got angry at the direction Bruce wanted to take the game and quit working on the game in the middle of it. One of the highlights of my board game life is playing 1830 with Bruce Shelley at Origins starting at midnight and going on til 4AM. It was heavenly!!!

I think 1830 is the best 18xx design that I've played, but it's not my favorite. After playing it over 100 times, I'm just kind of tired of it, and when you play with the same group all the time, it begins to feel scripted. My favorite is 1822. I use either '46 or '62 with the simple variant to introduce people to 18xx. If I use '46 I pass out the privates since they won't know what to choose at the start and the privates can matter quite a bit if you feel you need to be competitive in your first game. '62 with the simple variant is probably a better introduction but it's longer. Just got 18Chesapeake and I'll try it with my next intro. I'm a little nervous about it because I can't pass out the privates really and it has bankruptcy but I'll see how it goes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah that's just a problem. One of the main reasons I don't recommend it as a starter. Play Chesapeake instead if you can, then you can way better understand the value of the private companies in '30. You won't be perfect as the flow and style of the players have more than a little to do with the privates but you'll at least see the possible connections.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Mayveena posted:

Bruce Shelley!!!! Love him as a developer of board games. He worked with Tresham on 1830. The rumor is that Tresham got angry at the direction Bruce wanted to take the game and quit working on the game in the middle of it. One of the highlights of my board game life is playing 1830 with Bruce Shelley at Origins starting at midnight and going on til 4AM. It was heavenly!!!

I think 1830 is the best 18xx design that I've played, but it's not my favorite. After playing it over 100 times, I'm just kind of tired of it, and when you play with the same group all the time, it begins to feel scripted. My favorite is 1822. I use either '46 or '62 with the simple variant to introduce people to 18xx. If I use '46 I pass out the privates since they won't know what to choose at the start and the privates can matter quite a bit if you feel you need to be competitive in your first game. '62 with the simple variant is probably a better introduction but it's longer. Just got 18Chesapeake and I'll try it with my next intro. I'm a little nervous about it because I can't pass out the privates really and it has bankruptcy but I'll see how it goes.

How do you hand out the privates in ‘46? I have a group that could go for pretty much anything but, they’d probably like the game more if they didn’t feel like they lost the game in the opening round.

I’ve always wanted to get into 18xx but I haven’t had the ability to get a group together - Covid-19 has moved my usual group entirely online so if they’re learning a new interface anyways it might as well be Board18.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CommonShore posted:

So the core player base for 18xx games then?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mighty Eris posted:

How do you hand out the privates in ‘46? I have a group that could go for pretty much anything but, they’d probably like the game more if they didn’t feel like they lost the game in the opening round.

I’ve always wanted to get into 18xx but I haven’t had the ability to get a group together - Covid-19 has moved my usual group entirely online so if they’re learning a new interface anyways it might as well be Board18.

You just hand out the easy to understand privates like the mail contract to the newer maybe hesitant players and the more difficult ones to the players you think will catch on to the game faster. They have to pay for them of course.

Or you can ask Silvergoose to ask Joe Huber how he would do it :)

Oops didn't see you were doing it online. I don't know then.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

BGG and Dice Tower are putting on a five day virtual con. Base ticket is $10. Might go, not sure. My understanding is that there are a lot fewer board games to play on Tabletopia vs TTS and that may affect my decision.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The 46 auction would require a neutral third party. Shuffle the deck with random dot org's list randomiser, then use a lot of dm's. Shouldn't be hard to find someone to do that though.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
You guys talking about 18XXs make me wish I had a prayer of getting my friends to enjoy it. Frankly, I might not enjoy it either. I don't want to play something like that with strangers. Even Trickerion was tough (though enjoyable) with strangers.

Maybe I'll install DosBox and try the old video game of 1830 they made...

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Play Chesapeake or 1889 on 18xx.games. It plays well in real time and are both beginner friendly games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mayveena posted:

BGG and Dice Tower are putting on a five day virtual con. Base ticket is $10. Might go, not sure. My understanding is that there are a lot fewer board games to play on Tabletopia vs TTS and that may affect my decision.
Paying $10 to play online board games with randos sounds like a bad choice compared to just getting a subscription to the tabletopia site and hosting games with your friends.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
So a week ago I submitted my first game, Walking Doggos, to an itch.io bundle, expecting nothing to come out of it, other than being a show of support for the protests. There were 25 games on the list when I submitted.

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

Now there's nearly 1500 games in the bundle and it's made $3 million. There's a lot of really good tabletop RPGS and some print and play card games to check out, along with some heavy hitter video games like Night in the Woods.

Walking Doggos alone has had over 1100 downloads in the few days it's been available. I'm blown away.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Irish gauge is not an 18xx, it's from a thematically similar but mechanically unrelated series of games called Cube Rails games. It's good and I'd recommend it.

For your starting 18xx, 18Chesapeake, the soon to hit the market 1882 or the upcoming 1889 reprint are all better entry points than 1830, and way, way better entry points that 1846

Max
Nov 30, 2002

18Ches is currently available to play on 18xx.games with permission from the designer, and is a very good entrypoint now for 18XX games of the 1830 style.

Edit: Beaten by Spiggy.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Magnetic North posted:

You guys talking about 18XXs make me wish I had a prayer of getting my friends to enjoy it. Frankly, I might not enjoy it either. I don't want to play something like that with strangers. Even Trickerion was tough (though enjoyable) with strangers.

Maybe I'll install DosBox and try the old video game of 1830 they made...

Don't second-guess yourself too hard. I taught 1830 to three people the other day, two of which had never played anything remotely as complicated as it and they both had a great time. The length is the biggest thing working against you but if you set a time limit and can just call it if people are fading or not having fun you'll be fine.

There will be little edge cases here and there though.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Bottom Liner posted:

Paying $10 to play online board games with randos sounds like a bad choice compared to just getting a subscription to the tabletopia site and hosting games with your friends.

FWIW, Tabletopia's entire library will be free for the entire event:

quote:

As part of the event and for us to help gamers come together in a year where in-person cons are no longer possible, we will be making our ENTIRE games library free for anyone to play (including Premium games).
Additionally, as a way of supporting the people who make the games possible in the first place, any publishers with Premium games who would have normally recieved income share for the event period will still be paid accordingly.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mr. Squishy posted:

The 46 auction would require a neutral third party. Shuffle the deck with random dot org's list randomiser, then use a lot of dm's. Shouldn't be hard to find someone to do that though.

Nah just use this for your 1846 auction needs!

https://starter.18xx.nl/ 🥳

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 10, 2020

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Magnetic North posted:

Trickerion was tough (though enjoyable) with strangers.

Curious if you've played that with 2 players, and how it fared if so?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Nope, only once 3 players, sorry.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Magnetic North posted:

Nope, only once 3 players, sorry.

No worries. Hadn't heard of it before you mentioned it there but it looks right up my wife's and my alleys.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aramoro posted:

So the core player base for 18xx games then?

Harsh but fair

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Infinitum posted:

I'll ask the question, as I've been generally curious for a while.

Why should I play 1830, and what sort of engagement/time level is required of the players? I have heard of the 18xx games, but I have literally 0 experience with the traditional variety.

Further to that, what are considered 'the best' 18xx games?

*queues up some light reading for his lunch break tomorrow* :munch:

Come to the 18xx Con later this year in Sydney!

They ran beginner stuff last year that I found really good.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

No worries. Hadn't heard of it before you mentioned it there but it looks right up my wife's and my alleys.

I've never played it myself (was tempted by the KS), but here's a good 2-player playthrough of Trickerion by Ant Lab Games if you've got the time. Or skip to the end and hear their thoughts.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Irish gauge is not an 18xx, it's from a thematically similar but mechanically unrelated series of games called Cube Rails games. It's good and I'd recommend it.

For your starting 18xx, 18Chesapeake, the soon to hit the market 1882 or the upcoming 1889 reprint are all better entry points than 1830, and way, way better entry points that 1846

Actually, this made me curious. What types of general game ideas are in most 18xx games but aren’t in Chicago Express? I had always gotten the impression it was basically supposed to be an 18xx in miniature, stripped as bare as possible—it’s certainly very stripped down and bare—but I’ve never played an 18xx game so I really have no clue.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

PerniciousKnid posted:

46 is simpler than other 18xx games but you can very much be blown out of the game in the draft/first OR. It’s pretty punishing of mistakes. You won’t go bankrupt like 30 though.

I’ve noticed 2 OR games can often result in runaway leaders, the 1/2/3 OR ones seem to reduce that likelihood of that :shrug:

nrook posted:

Actually, this made me curious. What types of general game ideas are in most 18xx games but aren’t in Chicago Express? I had always gotten the impression it was basically supposed to be an 18xx in miniature, stripped as bare as possible—it’s certainly very stripped down and bare—but I’ve never played an 18xx game so I really have no clue.

The big differences are:

- Trains: you need to buy trains for the company to make money, the early game trains become obsolete/rust as time passes and need to be replaced
-Laying track: instead of marking a space like in Chex you have to build the track from city to city, which can get quite interesting
-Stations: Cities can hold stations, once the city's full you need a station there to run through it!

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 10, 2020

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

nrook posted:

The biggest difference, and one of the key defining feature of 18xx games, is that CE lacks a train progression. In 18xx companies are generally required to own a train to generate revenue from their network of routes (unlike CE where revenue is generated simply through connectivity), but as companies buy newer types of trains the game advances through phases, with the biggest consequence being that older trains are progressively removed ("rusted") from the game. This tends to result in a "train rush" near the end where as old trains are rusted newer ones have to be bought for newly emptied companies, which leads to even more trains getting rusted.

There are other significant differences though, like how you can't sell shares in CE and the whole stock market aspect in general, the way dividends are split, how companies are capitalized, only presidents being allowed to operate companies, and track connectivity basically being an entire subsystem in 18xx.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I’d pay the 10 bucks before I’d pay for Tabletopia. I’ve already paid for TTS. My games will run using Discord FWIW.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It works fine with two players
You have a little deck that randomly blocks action spaces to avoid the worker placement becoming too straight forward

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey all, just want to say thank you very much for all the 18xx chat. I will 100% be talking with my various groups to see if I can get enough people to a table in the future to play ~something~ 18xx related.

SelenicMartian posted:

There's an 1861/1867 reprint box gearing up for production now.
I've read the beta rules they've put up online, and they're really easy to grasp with my 0 experience.

1861 takes place in Russia, where you pay bribes to lay extra track, then you deliberately ruin your company, and the government buys it from you for cash.
1867 is the same, but in Canada, and more free when it comes to company placement.

I'm probably going to give this a look in, because it's dropping soon and the production quality looks lovely. (Plus 2 for 1)

Does anybody have a recommended playthrough that they enjoyed watching? Otherwise I'll just keep looking until I find something :v:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Come to the 18xx Con later this year in Sydney!

They ran beginner stuff last year that I found really good.

I'll go if you go cutie :wink:

food court bailiff posted:

Yo I ordered Cartographers based on your posts in this thread and it's absolutely tops, thanks for the posts.

This is absolutely lovely to hear, I'm glad you're enjoying it :allears:

I had massive board game day last weekend (Of which I am still trying to find some time to do a proper right up on my thoughts) and Cartographers was the stand out fav of the day, with people wanting to return to it 3 times!

Dungeon Mayhem was also a solid favourite, and after playing both one of person purchased both Cartographers+Mayhem to play with his 2 young daughters. :allears:

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Mojo Jojo posted:

It works fine with two players
You have a little deck that randomly blocks action spaces to avoid the worker placement becoming too straight forward

Cool, thanks. I read that the first expansion improves 2 players also.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 11, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

For Kickstarter chat a bunch of cool poo poo just dropped.

These ones caught my eye, but I haven't had a good chance to look at:
Mini Rogue - This is currently top of my "Do I want to back a solo game for $50+ AUD" list

Pitch and Plakks - Customisable mini-golf. Might be a good kids pickup?

Tales of BarBEARia - Dice placement battle bears? :nyoron:

Fire Tower - Expansion + Reprint - Apparently this is popular? So a heads up that it's started.

The Whatnot Cabinet - This has been getting some good reports from what I've been reading, and looks very chill

Communist Cats - Not sure if it's any good, but that artwork is delightful :allears:

Crash - Cool looking trick taking game. Looks like it's quick and light, and I might grab to gift out to my Car Friend.

The Dead Eye - Solo 3D card game with REALLY lovely artwork. It looks interesting, but it also looks "Pick this up at retail one the cheap" interesting :v:

Die in the Dungeon - Play a monster, roll die, and beat up heroes!

Your Friend is Sad - Do you like Shencomix? Well he made board game. If nothing else it has this meeple

(Kinda want that meeple)

--------------------------------------
I am going to stan the poo poo out of :siren: Merchants of the Dark Road :siren: though because it looks really loving good, and has a bunch of systems my gaming groups will enjoy.
I really really like the "Your final score is the lowest of your Fame Vs Money scores." mechanic. Fame is public. Money is hidden. Which I find really engaging from a "can I still win this" perspective where some players zone out towards the end of the game.

Currently backing the All-in Ultra Mega Deluxe tier because they have bi-coloured metal coins (And metal coins are my achilles heel)

This extended gameplay video does an excellent job of showing how the game operates at a good pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGczFMBTTdg

----------------------------------------

Apparently there's a bunch of other poo poo starting up soon, curious to see if the Terraforming Mars Big Box is just a bloody box or a traditional "Heres everything Big Box", preorders for the PS5 might go live soon, and I have a tattoo appointment later this month... too many games :negative:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Terraforming Mars Big Box is just a box and ugly 3D tiles (and a few promo cards). No game or expansions.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

A note for anyone looking to buy a physical copy of an 18XX game, 18Ches comes with paper money but all other published 18XX games require you to have poker chips, which are superior in every way to paper money anyway.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Max posted:

A note for anyone looking to buy a physical copy of an 18XX game, 18Ches comes with paper money but all other published 18XX games require you to have poker chips, which are superior in every way to paper money anyway.

oh oh oh! The Steampunk Rally pledge manager went live recently, and you could add Iron Clays to your order as it's apparently the same company that produced Brass: Birmingham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EiwnStA77s

So I of course naturally added a set of 200 clays to my order for just this very reason :allears:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Infinitum posted:

oh oh oh! The Steampunk Rally pledge manager went live recently, and you could add Iron Clays to your order as it's apparently the same company that produced Brass: Birmingham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EiwnStA77s

So I of course naturally added a set of 200 clays to my order for just this very reason :allears:

Uh 200 clays will not last long in an 18xx game. I have a 500 piece set which so far has been good, although the pros get the 1000 piece set.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well you buy me the extra 800 clays and we'll call it even :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I live in kind of a boardgaming Mecca (or at least I did until the quarantine lockdown killed a bunch of places, but, eh....) and I've still only ever seen people playing an 18XX at a shop once. It was like spotting a a unicorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What kind of games are people playing with 1000 count sets? I have 1817 and a 500-piece set and have never come close to running out. I also have C2C but lol at actually playing that one.