Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

My wireless headphones are deafeningly loud at 20% volume, 100% is i guess for wearing around your neck, but guess at what volume the lady who lives inside them screams 'LOW BATTEWY'? :downs:

My peeve is when people say 'question' before asking a question. Just ask! We know what a question is!

:byodood:THE BLUE-TOOTH DEWİCE İS READY TO PAİRS :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Mine is a very pleasant Chinese voice saying PLEASE CHARGING

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

One of my roommates frequently has her phone calls on speaker, or is listening to podcasts without earbuds. She does this while taking her dog out on walks, and I can hear her out in the hallway when she gets to our floor, before she's even gotten to our door.

The worst sound is any sound coming out of someone else's smartphone speaker. Either I don't want to hear it in the first place or the tiny speaker garbles it so much I regret having heard it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

lavaca posted:

The worst sound is any sound coming out of someone else's smartphone speaker. Either I don't want to hear it in the first place or the tiny speaker garbles it so much I regret having heard it.

The worst sound is when the subway train surfaces and everyone's smartphone plays the AMBER alert sound at the same time D:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This one is probably only applies until the next pandemic.

My roommate taken to the hospital Sunday. No visitors allowed, so I'm forced into dropping things off at the front and phone calls only.

Thursday, when she's getting discharged, I notice that now all the signs are now changed to one visitor per day between 9am and 7pm starting that day.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron Crowned posted:

This one is probably only applies until the next pandemic.

My roommate taken to the hospital Sunday. No visitors allowed, so I'm forced into dropping things off at the front and phone calls only.

Thursday, when she's getting discharged, I notice that now all the signs are now changed to one visitor per day between 9am and 7pm starting that day.

Oh drat that's obnoxious

My wife's ultrasound where the sex was determined was smack-dab in the middle of the "no visitors and DEFINITELY no kids" stage and so me and my 3yo daughter had to squint at a phone screen to try to see the projection. It sucked so, so much joy out of the occasion.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Mine is a very pleasant Chinese voice saying PLEASE CHARGING

Ooh I've had her before!

How are there only like 3 Bluetooth ladies?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Oh drat that's obnoxious

My wife's ultrasound where the sex was determined was smack-dab in the middle of the "no visitors and DEFINITELY no kids" stage and so me and my 3yo daughter had to squint at a phone screen to try to see the projection. It sucked so, so much joy out of the occasion.

My wife and I ended up going to one of those “4D Ultrasound” private places to do a gender reveal one day before her doctor’s appointment for the same thing because I wasn’t allowed into the latter.

Cost at the private business was the same as our copay, so completely worth it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Bomrek posted:

How are there only like 3 Bluetooth ladies?

Why would they bother making more?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i loving hate vague language, especially vague verbs. "indicates" instead of "says," "creates" instead of something more specific like "builds" or "draws" or whatever it is you're talking about

my theory is that bourgeois people like these sorts of verbs because they obfuscate labor and emotion, making everything bland and invisible

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I haven't played Magic: the Gathering for years and I'd already quite playing when this rule change happened, but I'll occasionally remember that they made it so the trick of assigning combat damage and then sacrificing a thing that was going to die anyway doesn't work any more. And it annoys me. I loved that trick. I used it practically all the time. What the hell are my Shock Troops good for now?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I hate it when a youtube review of some piece of media has to preface milquetoast criticisms with a disclaimer that "this is all just my opinion, it's ok to have different opinions, this is not a personal attack on the things you like" over and over and over because they're scared of children and morons leaving them negative comments or whatever. Roger Ebert sure as poo poo didn't spend the first 3 paragraphs of every review apologizing to his readers and waxing poetic about the nature of subjectivity.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Riatsala posted:

I hate it when a youtube review of some piece of media has to preface milquetoast criticisms with a disclaimer that "this is all just my opinion, it's ok to have different opinions, this is not a personal attack on the things you like" over and over and over because they're scared of children and morons leaving them negative comments or whatever. Roger Ebert sure as poo poo didn't spend the first 3 paragraphs of every review apologizing to his readers and waxing poetic about the nature of subjectivity.

it's dishonest because, most of the time, an opinion is actually a statement of something you believe to be true, not really something you believe to be personal.

like when i say i don't really enjoy dark souls, i know that that's not really because the game is bad, but because i have certain hangups about it that makes it hard for me to play. but when i say that donkey kong country is a terribly lovely game i believe that to be true for everyone and that people who enjoy it just didn't really look at it well enough. this is fine and it's the kind of statement that i want out of others when i look for their opinion, i like hearing strong statements because there's usually something in them that i hadn't considered yet even if i don't agree wholesale. people who hedge their bets behind "it's just my opinion" usually have nothing much to say

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Riatsala posted:

Roger Ebert didn't have to deal with an internet full of people screaming "That's just your opinion! What makes you think your opinion is so important, huh?" at him. Modern discourse requires an opening statement clarifying that what follows is your opinion rather than a statement of fact, or most of the replies will be a Big Lebowski quote.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tiggum posted:

I haven't played Magic: the Gathering for years and I'd already quite playing when this rule change happened, but I'll occasionally remember that they made it so the trick of assigning combat damage and then sacrificing a thing that was going to die anyway doesn't work any more. And it annoys me. I loved that trick. I used it practically all the time. What the hell are my Shock Troops good for now?

Hahaha, they finally nerfed that eh?
Oh well, house rules and etc.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Nearly ran over a neighbor's dog on my way home tonight. This loving lady just lets her little dog go wherever it wants most of the time, even though it does actually obey her commands. So the whole, "You can only keep your dog off leash if it is under your control" argument falls flat because it does seem like a well trained little doggo. She just prefers to let it wander around the street. So tonight I'm about to turn onto my street, I see she's out watering flowers or something and I think the dog is probably in the driveway. NOPE, it's darting out in front of my goddamn car from the other side of the street. I probably missed the thing by less than 6" and would almost certainly have hit it if I wasn't at least a little wary of the situation. gently caress that lady.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I poured myself a glass of milk last night, then immediately fell asleep.
Now I have glass of milk that's ~8 old and the very definition of "room temperature".
What a waste.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I poured myself a glass of milk last night, then immediately fell asleep.
Now I have glass of milk that's ~8 old and the very definition of "room temperature".
What a waste.

I've done that with an expensive beer more than once. :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’ve done that with beer and also left a perfectly good frozen pizza in the oven for eight hours

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The worst feeling is when I'm cleaning up and I go to wash the can from last night and it's full :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just organised all my loose-leaf sheet music as I've got back into my piano after not playing it in years, but two of the pieces seem to have got lost, so I'll need to wait til the library reopens to reprint them (my printer hasn't worked in ages). Wanna play Jesters of the Moon from FF9 but I can't...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when people don't understand that life sometimes railroads you into certain positions and choices. i don't love my job and it's not what i'd most like to do. no i can't change this now. it is, in fact, too late to change career paths and no i'm not just going to "be positive". i complain about it to cope with the fact that i don't like it, my complaining isn't what's causing me to not like it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ve done that with beer and also left a perfectly good frozen pizza in the oven for eight hours

At that point you’re not cooking it, youre cremating it.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

nvm

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Jun 8, 2020

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
nah

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Unless you have actual memory problems, I shouldn't have to remind someone to do something/how to do something simple more than twice (forgetting once is excusable)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Chicken bones. I hate them. Not so much if I'm eating a chicken leg or a wing and I expect to find bones, but if I'm chowing down on a delicious chicken sandwich or chicken soup and suddenly chomp "Oh, weak, there's bones in here!" I haven't broken a tooth on one, yet, but that can happen too. They're just annoying, cuz from then on instead of just enjoying my chicken sandwich, I'm paranoid about finding more bones!

Also I'm listening to a YouTube video in the background and whoever uploaded it dubbed over all the swear words with dolphin noises, and that's my new pet peeve. Or just bleeping out swear words in general. Bleeping them out calls far more attention to the naughty word than the word itself generates, so bleeping them is bad enough. Dubbing over it with a stupid sound effect rather than the standard "bleep" noise is just juvenile. Just leave the swear words alone! I've heard them so much at this point that they barely even register!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Chicken bones. I hate them. Not so much if I'm eating a chicken leg or a wing and I expect to find bones, but if I'm chowing down on a delicious chicken sandwich or chicken soup and suddenly chomp "Oh, weak, there's bones in here!" I haven't broken a tooth on one, yet, but that can happen too. They're just annoying, cuz from then on instead of just enjoying my chicken sandwich, I'm paranoid about finding more bones!

Interesting avatar/post combo

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Every loving day, more and more programs roll out where they just shove a website/webapp into an application and shove that out as a program.

Recently had an issue with Pocket Casts web, (turns out it was on the podcast's end, not Pocket Casts.) and I saw that they had a desktop app, which they reccomended if you had any issues with the website/webapp.
Finally, I thought! Maybe this means they've solved some of the annoyances I've had with the webapp.
And then I booted it up and it's just the webapp, but packaged as a program. :nallears:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Interesting avatar/post combo

Other birds eat chicken! It fits.

I just got back from the grocery store and ohhh boy I thought of another one. This isn't anything NEW but I'ma bitch about it. Holy poo poo nobody cares about following social distancing rules or going one way down the aisles! Everyone was wearing face masks because the store requires you to to enter, but I bet you money if that weren't the case, all these fuckers would be running around without a mask! And they were ALL old as gently caress! Like, I grabbed a bag of chips and there's this 70-year-old lady just sauntering toward me, going the wrong way down the aisle, and it's like "LADY! I don't personally care about any of this! I don't have any underlying conditions. If I catch the 'rona, I would probably be fine! You, however, you would loving die!" I got stuck behind this 80-year-old couple contemplating the secrets of the universe over every single loaf of bread, and I can't cut past them because I'd be within 6 ft. These people are trying to turn me into a murderer, and I don't like it! I don't want to be responsible for the death of someone's grandma, no matter how stupid she's acting. :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's 2020, why are college and university online systems still so loving hosed and useless?

Why do I have FOUR separate web systems with separate logins as a student?

And don't get me started on how professors are wildly inconsistent in what, if any, online functions they use.

Prof 1: email me
Prof 2: send a blackboard message only, don't clog up my email you pricks
Prof 3: all your assignments are already posted on blackboard, don't bother me
Prof 4: i will not even post your grades on blackboard until the semester is done

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's 2020, why are college and university online systems still so loving hosed and useless?

And don't get me started on how professors are wildly inconsistent in what, if any, online functions they use.

Prof 4: i will not even post your grades on blackboard until the semester is done

my sister in law graduated from a japanese university and had to submit a handwritten thesis

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Thank your faculty. They don't listen to central admin and just do whatever they like.

Professors are an untouchable caste and can act with impunity.

I have war stories. So many stories.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Thank your faculty. They don't listen to central admin and just do whatever they like.

Professors are an untouchable caste and can act with impunity.

I have war stories. So many stories.

I work in a college library and same :shepicide: Sure, I’ll definitely waive our policies if you yell at me hard enough! Maybe return the severely overdue book that three students are waiting for??

They’re not all awful obviously but the ones who are are really awful.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's not a "doggo" or a "dogger", it's a dog. "good boy" is acceptable

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'll take just about anything as long as it's not people calling their pets fur babies/their children/etc.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
“dog mom” makes me want to die

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
"Fur baby" is awful and creepy but you'll have to pry "doggo" from my cold, dead hands.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DontMockMySmock posted:

"Fur baby" is awful and creepy but you'll have to pry "doggo" from my cold, dead hands.

same

Also I want to give a special shout out to a professor I had last year, who assigned a textbook that had an online component, meaning you either have to buy a new one at sticker price, or spend a textbook's worth of money on a code for the online component and not even get a book out of the deal.

And just so happened to be an author of the book.

No one doesn't see what you're doing you absolute gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

same

Also I want to give a special shout out to a professor I had last year, who assigned a textbook that had an online component, meaning you either have to buy a new one at sticker price, or spend a textbook's worth of money on a code for the online component and not even get a book out of the deal.

And just so happened to be an author of the book.

No one doesn't see what you're doing you absolute gently caress

Right there with you. A few years ago I was in a class that had an $100 textbook by the professor that we couldn’t get used because “the old version won’t work” and then when they’d all sold out he told us that he’d partnered with the bookstore to make a $15 ebook available. Everyone was furious.

Lots of people are fed up with this poo poo and affordable/zero cost textbook committees are being formed in more and more institutions although there’s still a lot of work to be done.

Anyway I can rant about how much I loathe the textbook industry all day, they’re just like the pharmaceutical industry :argh: