Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah, it's not like pirates could play the 8-12 year old game right now since it was released on notoriously piracy free platforms like PS2 and PS vita.

https://twitter.com/justakoame/status/1099527041031065601?lang=en

I don't know why, but this just makes me laugh. :rofl:

repiv posted:

Black Desert Online uses Xigncode3 which is another kernel level anti-cheat, primarily used by Korean developers AFAIK. Battleye and EAC are the two you see most often in western titles.

VAC is one of the few anti-cheats that still doesn't touch the kernel, but that's a large part of why it has such a hard time detecting anything beyond the most basic casual cheaters downloading the first free hack they find on Google. The competitive CS:GO community has been driven to third parties who provide their own ring0 anticheats for the game in lieu of VAC, because they actually work.

None of these ring0 anti-cheats resist being uninstalled as far as I know, and your personal info is wide open anyway even without ring0 access. Any program you run can read any file associated with your user, and any program running as admin can read anything on your computer (and Steam will helpfully give every game you install admin access on first run without asking your permission). There's some risk that a driver you have installed could allow malicious code to escalate itself to ring0 but you can be badly owned by data theft or cryptolockers without the need for ring0 at all.

I know there was the scare recently with the TF2/CS:GO code getting leaked, and the fear of remote code executions (although that turned out to be a false alarm, and that reminds me that I need to reinstall TF2).

In general, though, you make it sound like the anti-cheat software isn't something to worry about. I just get paranoid when it comes to stuff dealing with the kernel or registry, because that's getting into the super-technical sides of things, and messing around with that stuff can seriously screw up your computer.

The Chad Jihad posted:

I watched a youtuber say the new AI in Age of Empires 2 definitive edition was a missed opportunity, because they should have instead run the game through Deepmind and I became so irrationally angry that I am still typing about it months later

I don't think that how AI works (and yes, I get that's :thejoke:)

That said, I now would like to see Garry Kasparov try and beat an AI at Age of Empires II.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Still won't stop people from cracking the DRM and pirating it.

You don't know that. You have no idea how long it might take to crack nor do you know how many people would bother with downloading pirated versions that need to be constantly babysitted with new cracks each patch instead of just getting the legit version.

That's pretty much the whole point. These days piracy has been massively devalued because it's not as easy as it used to be. It has wait times, the websites that distribute it are not as numerous and just like there used to be the ever-present rumor/possibility of a virus there are now miners and even worse poo poo that will definitely gently caress you up now that people are much more likely to have their banking account online.

This and the idea of safety, even temporary, is what attracts these publishers to the PC market. I don't know if you noticed but a whole lot of games that people used to think were strong console exclusives but then released on PC came with Denuvo.

Metal Gear Solid
Monster Hunter
Yakuza
Nier Automata
Final Fantasy XV
Heavy Rain
Octopath Traveler

And so on. You could argue whatever you want about the evils of DRM but clearly Denuvo has benefitted consumers too and saying otherwise is stupid.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the only reason publishers feel threatened by piracy is because they are consumed by a pathological greed

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Det_no posted:

That's pretty much the whole point. These days piracy has been massively devalued because it's not as easy as it used to be. It has wait times, the websites that distribute it are not as numerous and just like there used to be the ever-present rumor/possibility of a virus there are now miners and even worse poo poo that will definitely gently caress you up now that people are much more likely to have their banking account online.
imagine going through all that trouble just to avoid software that publishers could choose not to license.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Det_no posted:

These days piracy has been massively devalued because it's not as easy as it used to be.

Piracy has been massively devalued because getting the games legally got much easier and they stopping putting invasive DRM on it. People had to rely on cracks just to make their games run withouth the CD in the drive. The moment inconvience creeps back in, piracy comes back. Just look at the fracturing TV market. When Netflix made it easy, people just paid for Netflix. Now shows are spread across a dozen services, so piracy is massive.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

and to complete the circle, bringing this convo back to the thread,

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Piracy has been massively devalued because getting the games legally got much easier and they stopping putting invasive DRM on it. People had to rely on cracks just to make their games run withouth the CD in the drive. The moment inconvience creeps back in, piracy comes back. Just look at the fracturing TV market. When Netflix made it easy, people just paid for Netflix. Now shows are spread across a dozen services, so piracy is massive.

This 100%
If I can pay a few bucks to not have to wade through VPNs and weird-rear end virus-laden poo poo sites I will gladly pay for the convenience

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

Huh? It's true that piracy lost value because it got easier to buy games but this is like you took the argument against multiple storefronts and glued the issue of DRM to it.

I think we all need to accept that in reality only a tiny fraction of people even care about Denuvo. Lots of people don't even know when their games come with it and the number of people complaining about it has never been substantial enough to affect sales in any way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if a singleplayer-only game has denuvo/always-online I ain't buying because I don't have time for that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Det_no posted:

I think we all need to accept that in reality only a tiny fraction of people even care about Denuvo. Lots of people don't even know when their games come with it and the number of people complaining about it has never been substantial enough to affect sales in any way.

this is certainly true. a couple of loudmouthed slashdot/hc nerds is insignificant fraction despite some very angry steam reviews

personally the only time i pirate poo poo is when i cant buy it on steam (hades, satisfactory, snowrunner, outer wilds, metro exodus), but only because i plan (and have) bought them on steam as soon as I was able to and double dipping is dumb af. but i also have a decent setup where i dont have to wade through shady torrents to find em. i think this goes back to what people were saying about convenience and balkanization leading to inconvenience. i don't care if something has DRM or not as long as it's not like, totally loving up the game which has happened but rare.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 10, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dont companies normally remove denuvo after awhile because they only really care about the first ~month of sales and there are ongoing fees or something with keeping it in?

i dunno i dont pay much attention to it. i think the only game i own that had it was sonic mania and it was removed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

the only reason publishers feel threatened by piracy is because they are consumed by a pathological greed

The situation is a little different for Japanese publishers as piracy completely obliterated their PC market in the 80s and early 90s.

Mostly caused by Japanese stores not carrying western titles causing piracy to be the default way of getting pc games in general.

Steam and such have changed things but there's still a lot of fear over piracy there that goes beyond publisher greed

Awesome! posted:

dont companies normally remove denuvo after awhile because they only really care about the first ~month of sales and there are ongoing fees or something with keeping it in?

Denuvo is a one time payment and games that have it removed are sadly a minority. Most Japanese games never have it removed. Even the Yakuza series that removed Denuvo for early entries has decided to bring it back for the latest one.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 10, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Awesome! posted:

i dunno i dont pay much attention to it. i think the only game i own that had it was sonic mania and it was removed.

i dont know if theres ongoing fees but yea often its taken out after like a year or something

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Awesome! posted:

Depends on the publisher, some of them remove it once it's outlived its usefulness and some leave it in forever.

I don't think there's any ongoing fees, it's just a free PR bump to remove it so why not once it's cracked anyway.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Awesome! posted:

Pretty sure media purchases have a huge recency bias so their primary concern is protecting the game for the few few weeks it's out.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

quote:

I've dropped the number of cores report to the game down to 5 though. Even with this reduction, 25% of all CPU time is spent switching active threads because the game has over 100 threads. It's the most insane piece of software I've ever looked at.

That is not a joke. I have done performance profiling, and 25% of all CPU activity is the kernel stopping one thread so that another one can run. The overhead is enormous.

this might be one for the game dev thread, but is that unusual for a big game with a lot of stuff going on (including technical shinies)?

Threads are a way to organise stuff so you have a lot of plates spinning without needing to rigidly stick to a step-by-step process - it's a bit like having a team of people doing stuff instead of one person switching between tasks. Not so much about getting things done quicker (although you can), more about having people doing their own thing independently and you deal with them when there's something that needs your attention

what I mean is it can just be easier to divide up the work that way - maybe there's a performance hit, but maybe the game would never have been made if they had to wrangle things with way fewer worker threads. or maybe it's still very bad and unusual??

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Grapplejack posted:

and to complete the circle, bringing this convo back to the thread,

:emptyquote:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Celeste is too much for me. I'm grateful to itch for the chance to try it, as I can tell it's hugely polished and pretty and fun to play, but the type of gameplay doesn't click for me. Farewell, Celeste. Someone else can help Madeline climb you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Celeste is too much for me. I'm grateful to itch for the chance to try it, as I can tell it's hugely polished and pretty and fun to play, but the type of gameplay doesn't click for me. Farewell, Celeste. Someone else can help Madeline climb you.

You should at least watch the last couple chapters. Celeste nails its finale better than almost any other game out there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's very fair. I think in terms of brutal platformers it's the least offensive but as a genre it can be really hit or miss for me as well, especially when I am just trying to relax. I admire it more mechanically than I think I have fun playing it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you think celeste is hard you should do the big vertical level in guacamelee required for the true ending

e: also if you think it's hard now wait till you see the celeste DLC :twisted:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

baka kaba posted:

this might be one for the game dev thread, but is that unusual for a big game with a lot of stuff going on (including technical shinies)?

It is very bad and unusual. The standard way of doing things nowadays is to spin up exactly N worker threads where N is the number of CPU cores, then distribute jobs to that small pool of threads.

Having a separate thread for every job is just begging to get eaten alive by context switching overhead.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

baka kaba posted:

Threads are a way to organise stuff so you have a lot of plates spinning without needing to rigidly stick to a step-by-step process - it's a bit like having a team of people doing stuff instead of one person switching between tasks. Not so much about getting things done quicker (although you can), more about having people doing their own thing independently and you deal with them when there's something that needs your attention

what I mean is it can just be easier to divide up the work that way - maybe there's a performance hit, but maybe the game would never have been made if they had to wrangle things with way fewer worker threads. or maybe it's still very bad and unusual??

I don't know if there's any specific number but I'd certainly :stonk: at 100 as a software dev - at the human programming level there's just not that many independent tasks you can actually parallelize

- parallelism only works if every thread actually has an independent task; the more tasks (data) shared between threads - therefore the more threads block each other - the faster it turns from a performance benefit to a malus, even if written perfectly; and
- it's never written perfectly. as a model for programming concurrency, threads are some of the most :cripes: poo poo to deal with and the sort of non-deterministic failures you can only get from improperly synchronized thread races make me want to burn my computer and live as a weird cave hermit

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 10, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That's very fair. I think in terms of brutal platformers it's the least offensive but as a genre it can be really hit or miss for me as well, especially when I am just trying to relax. I admire it more mechanically than I think I have fun playing it.

Yeah, it's the kind of genre I admire skill in but I don't have the patience for myself. Celeste being in the itch bundle is the best of all possible worlds because I'm not feeling like I need to refund it now, and instead I can truthfully say that since you're getting the bundle (everyone should get the bundle) you should try Celeste, it's pretty and if you like the challenge you'll love it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Celeste is very good but I don't think the moon / space chapter is worth beating, it relies too much on engine quirks for the platforming and that's not fun

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

baka kaba posted:

I'm no dev but whatever the thread count, it seemed to have been excessive even for big game standards. Historically MHW seems to have always been coded kind of poo poo.

Back near release, the same guy that fixed Nier: Automata and other japanese ports looked into it since the game has pretty insane system requirements for how it looks. He found the same thing about the thread count and published a mod that cut down on them to improve performance, among other things. I can say from personal experience that the mod helped reduce my CPU load by about 10%.

Things got even worse when Iceborne came out and Capcom introduced very heavy-handed code that constantly checks the game for... something or another and eats up CPU in the process. Back then, when Iceborne released, people found that you could bypass this code by asking the game to close, which would stop the code, and then moving the closing confirmation window aside too keep playing. That got patched out eventually but even today there are still mods that try to get rid of all that code and are in a constant battle to keep on functioning with all the patches Capcom puts out.

Fake edit: Oh, and of course the game has had problems with Nvidia drivers a couple of times too. Normally the devs and Nvidia's guys work together to ensure the driver's internal configuration is properly set up for the game but they messed that one up. The first time, on release, there was some problem that caused heavy framerate drops in the miasma of the Rotten Vale and needed a new driver to be fixed. Recently, over the past few months, aother error was introduced at some point and the game might display weird graphical errors with certain sources of lighting and as far as I know those have not been fixed yet.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 10, 2020

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

baka kaba posted:

if the number of threads far exceeds the number of cores that can run a thread at a time then CPU time is wasted simply switching threads instead of running their tasks. they let you optimize by having multiple tasks running simultaneously on different cores, they're not a data structure themselves.

it's not something I've had to manage much as my main experience with multithreading comes from .NET core, which provides a nice thread pool structure where you can create as many asynchronous tasks as you want and it automatically measures threads out to them from the pool instead of just creating 1 thread per task. kinda turns asynchronous stuff into magic you can just fire off and wait to complete whenever you need them and you don't have to worry about managing threads themselves. Presumably .NET knows what resources it has available to know how many threads it should actually have in the pool, I've never had to worry about how it works.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

if the number of threads far exceeds the number of cores that can run a thread at a time then CPU time is wasted simply switching threads instead of running their tasks. they let you optimize by having multiple tasks running simultaneously on different cores, they're not a data structure themselves.

it's not something I've had to manage much as my main experience with multithreading comes from .NET core, which provides a nice thread pool structure where you can create as many asynchronous tasks as you want and it automatically measures threads out to them from the pool instead of just creating 1 thread per task. kinda turns asynchronous stuff into magic you can just fire off and wait to complete whenever you need them and you don't have to worry about managing threads themselves. Presumably .NET knows what resources it has available to know how many threads it should actually have in the pool, I've never had to worry about how it works.

This is a better explanation of what I mean by threading being a lousy model for concurrency: what devs really want is asynchronous tasks like Gay Rat Wedding has in C#; but instead they (at least c++ ones) get to deal with what amounts to fully fledged concurrent processes. They have to define all the rules on sharing data between them so two threads don't try at the same (or "same") time and clobber each other, and a whole lot of other boilerplate that is never as trivial as the word "boilerplate" implies

even in perfectly planned threaded architectures, there will be fuckups. no one ever comes close to planning perfectly

threads suck /soapbox

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 10, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

uplay! Epic soured me forever with their surprise exclusives and I will never install the client.

Also I think the 20% off coupon that uplay is offering stacks with the sale discounts so those prices can go lower

Might be a little late here but all the Ubisoft games I've purchased from Epic (including Anno 1800) can be launched through uplay after purchasing them.

edit: Ah saw your other post about EGS, fair enough. I'm clearly not turned off by them to the same degree you are but if you wanna avoid a certain platform completely I get it 🤝

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 10, 2020

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Is there a thread somewhere for giving away steam keys? I have an extra one that I'm never going to use and don't know what to do with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Grey posted:

Is there a thread somewhere for giving away steam keys? I have an extra one that I'm never going to use and don't know what to do with it.

It's in PGS

Or just offer it in here. But don't paste them they get lurked.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think other people touched on it earlier but as far as Persona games go, in my opinion P4 has the best characters and setting, but P5 has better gameplay and general quality-of-life stuff (still haven't played Royal but it's my understanding it improves on it even further; I finished the original P5 only pretty recently so a replay with the new Royal stuff is probably a few years down the road for me)

That said, P4: Golden still feels very modern, and a big part of what makes the whole series special is that all the games feel polished to an almost futuristic extent. They're games where you spend a lot of time in battle and in menus, and the team clearly realized that and tried to make the best drat battle UI and the best drat menus possible for a turn-based RPG. I'm not usually really conscious of menu or UI design in video games but in the recent Persona games it's clear they went out of their way to make all of that stuff stylish and fun, and in a game that you can easily log 60-100 hours in depending on your level of investment, those design decisions really add up and make the experience really pleasant.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
For those who might not understand the big deal with threads:

The problem is that switching threads requires something called a context switch. A context switch means that whatever was being done has to be written to memory, then new values have to be read from memory. This process is relatively slow, and it has to be done twice every time a thread changes: one for the old thread, and one for the new one.

Modern developers typically separate work into tasks instead of threads. Tasks are like threads, but they don’t each require a context switch to change. All the switching is handled by a part of the application dedicated to scheduling. When it’s time to change threads, the scheduling code itself might need to be context switched, or you could be clever and make sure the scheduling code runs after a series of tasks that run in a predictable amount of time, which would eliminate the switch altogether. Regardless, it cuts down the number of switches significantly. Switching tasks instead of entire threads only requires moving a few variables around as opposed to every single variable on the processor.

If this sounds complex, then good news: You don’t have to code any of this, because it’s such a common thing, it’s already been programmed by people collectively much smarter than your team. Their implementations are not going to use 100 threads. They will do what you want them to do with minimal effort on your part, and they will do it efficiently.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm super pro piracy, and I always will be (an IP killed my parents, so I'm the batman of DRM.)

That being said, people would notice Denuvo if we weren't always online, it was a huge issue for me when I had machines that had to be disconnected from the internet for months, and my game licenses would run out a month in. I had a friend that worked on an oil rig (or so he said, Idk internet friend,) who couldn't get access reliably, and his denuvo games would stop working after a month.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, it's the kind of genre I admire skill in but I don't have the patience for myself. Celeste being in the itch bundle is the best of all possible worlds because I'm not feeling like I need to refund it now, and instead I can truthfully say that since you're getting the bundle (everyone should get the bundle) you should try Celeste, it's pretty and if you like the challenge you'll love it.

Have you tried the accessibility options to make the game easier on yourself?
If turning those on eliminates the point of the game entirely for you then I can understand that but seconding the comments upthread that Celeste is a beautiful game with a wonderful ending that is worth pushing through to see. Either way, I'm glad you got to try it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Saw this pop up randomly on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1139870/The_Dark_Eye__Book_of_Heroes/

Pretty bad reviews but then again it's true to classic crpg roots to release broken and tortuously turn it around over patches.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I've tried getting into .hack//G.U. and after multiple tries, I've finally managed to get the game running at a stable framerate... at 1280x720 with all the bells and whistles turned off. This is coming from a guy who dual-screens EVE at near max settings (the game is fun, but you need to be the sandbox type of person). Even so, the game has a particular charm at that resolution, so I guess I will stick with it for now.

They should've asked one of PC tech-wizards to help them out with this port, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blattdorf posted:

I've tried getting into .hack//G.U. and after multiple tries, I've finally managed to get the game running at a stable framerate... at 1280x720 with all the bells and whistles turned off. This is coming from a guy who dual-screens EVE at near max settings (the game is fun, but you need to be the sandbox type of person). Even so, the game has a particular charm at that resolution, so I guess I will stick with it for now.

They should've asked one of PC tech-wizards to help them out with this port, though.

Did you try the Special K plugin for it? It specifically calls out fixing performance issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did you try the Special K plugin for it? It specifically calls out fixing performance issues.

From what I've read, it only creates more problem in the end. I'm happy that Kaldaien tries to fix up various games, but there's only so much you can do without direct access to the code. The devs somewhat dropped the ball on this one, sadly.