Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

History Comes Inside! posted:

White guilt has always seemed to me to be something the right bang on about to explain why people to the left of them could possibly care at all what happens to people who aren't the same colour as them, to be honest.

It's extremely close to virtue signalling, their argument is either all races are equal but the dastardly minorities trick white people into feeling they get a better deal and so feel falsely feel guilty about it or white people know they're superior to other races but feel guilty about it. The core concept of understanding that racism exists and leads to racial inequality which is a bad thing even if you're in the group that benefits from it is an alien concept so they have to make up other reasons for why people show cross-race solidarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you love to see it

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1270757588062347265?s=20

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

XMNN posted:

statue chat

apparently it's confronting our legacy of slavery and genocide that will actually lead to the second holocaust, but if we ignore it everything will be fine - source: some Tory councillor

This is one of those things that will seem very reasonable on the surface, to people who don't look deep enough to realise that statues aren't how we remember the flaws of the past, education is, and the tories want to keep the statues and kill the education.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/amyohconnor/status/1270729426473570305?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

statue chat

apparently it's confronting our legacy of slavery and genocide that will actually lead to the second holocaust, but if we ignore it everything will be fine - source: some Tory councillor
There's monuments in many towns to the brave lads that lost their lives fighting the dastardly Africans, but I've never seen one for the hell camps built in South Africa or Kenya. Not sure how memorializing the first but ignoring the second will prevent a second holocaust.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

XMNN posted:

also also I can't be the only one who thinks about getting a sweet level 100 charizard or getting to put another point in the perk chart whenever the conservatives talk about levelling-up?

my THAC0 will go down by one and maybe I'll get another weapon proficiency point

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

bessantj posted:

For someone who says they have trans friends that they support Rowling seems to be going out of her way to be lovely.

It's the same rehashed poo poo previously (and still) used against gay people - the "I have no problem with the people, but it's the lifestyle" - or even the old "I can't be racist because I know a Black person, but [says some racist poo poo about black people]".

It's the super weak doublethink justification that you're not attacking an individual human being with thoughts and feelings (they could, after all, be one of the ":airquote:good ones:airquote: they exempt), but a malign collective who should bloody well know their place and if they want societal acceptance, then they should be; only gay in private/straight/conform to the arbitrary sex gender binary/be accepting of their class and place in society/what ever/delete as applicable.

I think people started noticing the cracks with Rowling after the whole gay Dumbledore, and black Hermione thing (her handling of them, not the actual choices themselves), along with her increasingly bitter political hot-takes about Corbyn.

And then just her continual descent into Glinner-screaming TERF territory because she can't log off from twitter.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 10, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man if everyone associated with all her works stand united against her that'd be so good.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1270849788720877570?s=19

stev fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 10, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

stev posted:

Man if everyone associated with all her works stand united against her that'd be so good.

Practically everyone is. There's even a meme going round the fandom declaring that Daniel Radcliffe created Harry Potter. Watching Rowling get deplatformed by her own fans is the most fun those books have ever given, I think.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Another thread stripping down her 'essay'
https://twitter.com/Carter_AndrewJ/status/1270787941275762689

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stev posted:

https://twitter.com/EmmaWatson/status/1270826851070619649?s=20

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like guilt is when you know something's wrong but you're not prepared to deal with that, so it just sits there, nagging at you.

Yes and no. 'Guilt' is absolutely different to 'verdict', like someone can be objectively guilty of a crime but not feel any guilt or remorse for it just like they can not give a homeless chap a quid because they didn't want to faff about opening their bag but then feel genuinely guilty about it 15 seconds later. Guilt is amorphous and vague and saying "you're not prepared to deal with" it is kind of a dumb take because it's not 'verdict', it's not that concrete or simple, a constructed process for how every specific person should deal with their varying feelings of guilt for varying crimes/not-crimes in the varying circumstances that informed them is genuinely impossible it's a ridiculuous expectation it's pure rhetoric.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guilt the emotion, not the legal concept.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just a quick hop over to the US.
https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1270848325890248711
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1270760646234083328

That's three Columbos down. :getin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

starmer has been a huge loving letdown from even my low bar but check out just how miserable the democrats are

https://twitter.com/jmpalmieri/status/1270846960493301762

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Guilt the emotion, not the legal concept.

I know you're not stupid enough to sincerely think that post was about legalism.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MAGAAaaaaaaargh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The decapitation was a nice touch.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jedit posted:

Practically everyone is. There's even a meme going round the fandom declaring that Daniel Radcliffe created Harry Potter. Watching Rowling get deplatformed by her own fans is the most fun those books have ever given, I think.

She's written about half-giants, werewolf half-wizards, and sources-of-all-evil living parasitically on the back of a wizards head and hiding under a turban. Yet her most unbelievable fictitious character is definitely her mythical trans friend who she loves dearly.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bessantj posted:

Sorry to drop in the middle of jkr chat but has anyone here actually experienced white guilt? Someone I was having a chat with said that the only reason that white people were backing BLM was because of white guilt, I suggested that he was talking bollocks and no one I know has experienced white guilt but it did make me wonder if anyone I could speak to had actually experienced white guilt at all.

this is gonna be a personal thing, because people can definitely feel guilty when they discover privilege is a thing, that they've been unaware of what others go through because they've never had to worry or think about it, or maybe they realise they've been dismissive of issues or just generally a bad ally. Which is really a growing process - they only care because these are principles that matter to them, discovering you've not been meeting your own standards can be rough but it's an important step. And yeah, lots of people feel they need to make amends and be better, because they've let themselves down as well as others, y'know?

Anyone who's going "it's all about white guilt" definitely isn't taking that angle though, that sounds like the "you can't even be white these days, there's the real racism" types

and also Voldemort and the fash wizards and all the people saying "mudbloods". Is she Harry or Hermione when the latter's trying to liberate the slaves and the lads are all "hahahahaha imagine, thinking elves deserve to be free hahahaha" 🤔

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think the best takedown was the thread pointing out there's literally a scene where hermionie drinks a potion to turn into harry, down to the level of needing his glasses to see, but she still has she/her pronouns.

She clearly understands it but just doesn't like it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

baka kaba posted:

also Voldemort and the fash wizards and all the people saying "mudbloods". Is she Harry or Hermione when the latter's trying to liberate the slaves and the lads are all "hahahahaha imagine, thinking elves deserve to be free hahahaha" 🤔

Anyone that dunks on the Harry Potter books for not supporting our current astute political readings of the text but also somehow didn't twig that the fictional S.P.E.W. the Society for the Promotion of Elvish Welfare might actually be an extremely obvious reference to actual historical S.P.E.W. the Society for Promoting the Employment of Women and riffs as though they aren't also an idiot needs to be burned alive.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I still think the best takedown was the thread pointing out there's literally a scene where hermionie drinks a potion to turn into harry, down to the level of needing his glasses to see, but she still has she/her pronouns.

She clearly understands it but just doesn't like it.

Eh, someone pointed out that this just confirms the view that since Hermione was born as a girl, even changing her body completely into a man doesn't make her male. So it's not quite the dunk it seems since most TERF-ism seems based on the belief that the gender you were assigned at birth absolutely cannot be changed under any circumstances.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

Eh, someone pointed out that this just confirms the view that since Hermione was born as a girl, even changing her body completely into a man doesn't make her male. So it's not quite the dunk it seems since most TERF-ism seems based on the gender you were assigned at birth.

I mean... it suggests that your gender and your physical sex are completely unrelated which while I'm sure terfs can gently caress it up seems like a pretty strong understanding of the difference between sex and gender which she performatively refuses to understand at every other opportunity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Also sorry for posting glinner but it's hilariously relevant to what I posted earlier about the death of the author.

https://twitter.com/glinner/status/1270815123024773120?s=21

Because the author is in fact, so alive they can engage in cognitive imperialism. JK Rowling has conquered your brain with harry potter and will subsume you into her greater mindscape.
wait, hold on. ralph? dude cant even remember the names of her characters

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nah you know, Ralph. Beloved character Ralph Wurzley. Brother of Ferb and Grunge Wurzley. Dad drives a flying Morris Marina. You know Ralph.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Have the recent ex-Rowling fans twigged that making all the bankers literal goblin people is a bit yikes?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
so this is apparently how the Guardian have decided to frame the story:

edit: oh god the article is pretty bad too. extensive quoting of jk's arguments and like a paragraph or two saying "some people said they disagree, for reasons we will not particularly specify"

loving great job. great newspaper. brilliant

edit2: somehow from the twitter account in the byline the person credited with the article seems to be... against jk's opinion? has she been edited to hell or is the guardian just bad at journalism or what the hell

Angepain fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 11, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Meanwhile, NYC Public Health is telling people to use gloryholes.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1270761134405095424?s=21

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Angepain posted:

is the guardian just bad at journalism

I mean...

Darth Walrus posted:

Meanwhile, NYC Public Health is telling people to use gloryholes.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1270761134405095424?s=21

Someone has to have list_of_glory_holes_in_NYC.txt

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angepain posted:

edit: oh god the article is pretty bad too. extensive quoting of jk's arguments and like a paragraph or two saying "some people said they disagree, for reasons we will not particularly specify"

edit2: somehow from the twitter account in the byline the person credited with the article seems to be... against jk's opinion? has she been edited to hell or is the guardian just bad at journalism or what the hell

There's a very similar article in the Independent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/jk-rowling-abuse-sexual-assault-letter-trans-people-a9559426.html

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Vitamin P posted:

Anyone that dunks on the Harry Potter books for not supporting our current astute political readings of the text but also somehow didn't twig that the fictional S.P.E.W. the Society for the Promotion of Elvish Welfare might actually be an extremely obvious reference to actual historical S.P.E.W. the Society for Promoting the Employment of Women and riffs as though they aren't also an idiot needs to be burned alive.

what's your point? women were also actually happy with their lot and didn't want things to change, or something? because that's what happens in yr book you're literally Stanning

are you just mad I told you you don't know what identity politics is or what

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Angepain posted:

Yeah British papers will agree with her, particularly the centre and centre left ones

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Everything turns into a squabbling and mud-slinging match, and the heart of the thing is lost.

"Don't know X? Go DIE."
"Johnny-come-lately? You're not good enough."
"What have YOU done? Why haven't you done more?"

'Unity is strength' is a powerful message mostly because it's so hard to do and hard to keep for any length.

Privilege. I'm ill, on benefits, black/half-caste, in supported accommodation, some would argue a lazy sod, afraid of everything. I suppose I am priveliged given I should be dead or on the streets or something. I'm a drone in the system, worried yet also capable of little.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 11, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

starmer has been a huge loving letdown from even my low bar but check out just how miserable the democrats are

The Onion are getting lazy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It's the anti-semitism the tories warned us about! ON PAPER this time no doubt

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

completely wrong

https://twitter.com/Hayley_Barlow/status/1270778885437829121?s=20

lol isn't that about the time the media were making fun of all the armchair epidemiologists who thought they knew better than big wet Boris?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jose posted:

Whenever I see stuff like this I always imagine a few people sat in a hot meeting room trying to come up with slogans and ideas and what the thought process must have been to arrive at something so poo poo.

It generally doesn't work like this in Design anyway, there'd be 1-2 designers that come up with options that pitch it to the head of the studio and it gets whittled down. But I like the idea of the classic 'brain storming' meeting popularised on tv that people must do because they saw it on tv.

People sat around nodding because they don't know what else to do. Any good idea being ripped up and remodelled due to the ego of some manager. A 'show of hands' and process of elimination that ends up with some diarrhoea that nobody wants but the meeting has been going on too long. Ideally the CEO would be getting involved via a video conference with their head on an enormous television and dismiss everything that had been done because they sort of came up with a pun.

I miss corporate bullshit sometimes.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Colston is back out of the harbour, but the ropes and spray paint are staying on (for now at least) before it goes to a museum. Hopefully with looping videos of it being pulled down and chucked in as well. That's history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Watching people discuss the little britain/blackface thing on my football forum reminds me of being on the internet for the very first time. The exact same thing 15 years ago.

It's very weird actually. That being said nobody has even brought up the trans element at all. We are still at if "white chicks" should be banned as well.