Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AlternateNu posted:

So, I just got past the split in the Eagles route. :stare:

The hosed up part is I chose the path that apparently made me lose all the non-core units I was training except Shamir. :cry:

You mean just Flayn?

Because I'm reasonably sure she's the only one you can get before the split you lose access to on that route. If you choose the other one you get to recruit Seteth/Catherine/Cyril and oddly Hilda but they're all locked out pre-split and none of the other students or teachers ditch you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yeah, you're probably better off than you think you are. All the church characters that you can actually recruit in the first place as Eagles will stick with you even if you side with Edelgard. The only characters you actually lose are Flayn (on Edelgard route) or Edelgard/Hubert (on church route).

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Cloacamazing! posted:

About replacing Lorenz, one thing you should be warned about is that all your initial students are required for one very difficult battle. If you neglect Lorenz, you might find yourself in a difficult situation. Make sure you keep him leveled even if you don't plan to take him through endgame.

this is absolutely not required on casual normal (what they said they were on) lmao, do you think everyone does their first playthrough of the game on maddening or smth?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Pretty sure level 10 Lorenz would be screwed even on Normal there. Casual means he'd survive, sure, but this battle is a huge increase in difficulty, you only get your original students so one of them being completely useless would be a problem and you don't get to save before the fight. I figure it's a useful warning.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

no, on normal a student being useless really doesn't do anything because there will be other units there who could probably solo the map on their own. even on hard the lord + byleth combo pretty much destroys most of the map by themselves

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

You mean just Flayn?

Because I'm reasonably sure she's the only one you can get before the split you lose access to on that route. If you choose the other one you get to recruit Seteth/Catherine/Cyril and oddly Hilda but they're all locked out pre-split and none of the other students or teachers ditch you.

Hilda isn't that odd. Her optional dialogue at the monastery shows she's very sharp when it comes down to people, she's the only one to immediately suspect something's off with Monica for instance. She realized, if unconsciously, that Edelgard was hiding something big, so she's the only house leader Hilda will not join.

Had Edelgard been honest, Hilda may have genuinely joined her side, but Edelgard proved herself untrustworthy, if in subtle ways that only Hilda herself managed to pick up. It's good subtle writing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hilda isn't that odd. Her optional dialogue at the monastery shows she's very sharp when it comes down to people, she's the only one to immediately suspect something's off with Monica for instance. She realized, if unconsciously, that Edelgard was hiding something big, so she's the only house leader Hilda will not join.

Had Edelgard been honest, Hilda may have genuinely joined her side, but Edelgard proved herself untrustworthy, if in subtle ways that only Hilda herself managed to pick up. It's good subtle writing.

Hilda is also incredibly loyal underneath the attitude. She will never, ever take part in attacking the Alliance, and the only scenario where she fights anyone from the Alliance at all is when Claude gets brain worms at Gronder Field in Azure Moon.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Hilda doesn't join Edelgard because their paralogues are too similar. It's gameplay and deadlines. Hilda even has/had a CF ending text.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hilda won't join Edelgard because their power combined would ruin this world and Hilda knows this.

Too much short axe girl energy.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Hilda won't join Edelgard because their power combined would ruin this world and Hilda knows this.

Too much short axe girl energy.

Poor forgettable Annette.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hilda wont join edelgard to encourage fanart of them angrily glaring while making out. It's good subtle writing.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

Hilda wont join edelgard to encourage fanart of them angrily glaring while making out. It's good subtle writing.

This rules

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

McTimmy posted:

anyone who forgets Annette has no heart or soul

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

*Insert Gilbert joke here*

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

McTimmy posted:

2 short axe girls is fine.

But 3? That is too much high power man.

Ergo, Hilda and Edelgard are mutually exclusive in the main game, but allowed to be together in the DLC, where Annette is absent.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I always forget that Annette does axes because she and Mercie were my Black/White mages from the beginning, they didn't really get to do anything else.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Valkyrie Annie is great fun, she nukes everything. In her paralogue it was hard to keep her waiting, she would have died but it would've been such an explosive death

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Heroes most certainly didn't by turning her into one of the nastier rallybots in the game. Crusher gives +1 move to a target on top of whatever rally Annette has equipped, so yes, that is indeed a 4 move Tibarn or Reinhardt charging headlong into your face. Trust me, a couple of recent in-game events have made me and other players realize just how much Annette can screw over an opposing team with a well-timed rally.

Now if she'd just remember she has a speed growth in 3H, I might actually use her in battle.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Heroes most certainly didn't by turning her into one of the nastier rallybots in the game. Crusher gives +1 move to a target on top of whatever rally Annette has equipped, so yes, that is indeed a 4 move Tibarn or Reinhardt charging headlong into your face. Trust me, a couple of recent in-game events have made me and other players realize just how much Annette can screw over an opposing team with a well-timed rally.

Now if she'd just remember she has a speed growth in 3H, I might actually use her in battle.

Does she have a speed growth though? Does she really?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The problem with axe girl Annette is that her strength is anemic and she doesn't gain enough speed to offset the more useful axes. I did Wyvern Annette with Bolt Axe and Crusher in my Blue Lions run and she was by far my slowest unit in end game. She also lacked defense and health so I ended up not using her much compared to Sylvain, Dedue and Seteth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Imagine the power of that couple

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

daermon posted:

The problem with axe girl Annette is that her strength is anemic and she doesn't gain enough speed to offset the more useful axes. I did Wyvern Annette with Bolt Axe and Crusher in my Blue Lions run and she was by far my slowest unit in end game. She also lacked defense and health so I ended up not using her much compared to Sylvain, Dedue and Seteth.

Because she gets such good rallies, I got a lot of mileage out of her with the Bolt Axe+ on a wyvern.

Personally I found that when she wasn't offensively useful, she was spending a turn to make other players offensively useful, but she still packed enough punch with the three range Bolt Axe she could sub in and mop up when she needed to. She did pretty well for me! I felt like she had more of a niche as a magic based axe flier than as a vanilla mage.

Valkyrie also sounds like a really good fit for her, though. Basically I like canto on my rally-ers.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

here's annette from my blue lions (hard) run. she was just good, no qualifications needed. not significantly slower than the rest of my crew, either. Like seteth has +2 speed on her on this file, although he of course is more survivable.

so i guess I got lucky here?

Oh and she has some weird stuff on the loadout because I unlocked the DLC classes just before i was done with this playthrough and last minute classed her into dark flier

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 11, 2020

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Is there any reason I would not use the professors or the Knights? They seem pretty strong on top of having advanced classes. Or maybe I just got lucky with a few level ups.

I'm derping around in chapter 8. No big updates. Currently in the Manuela and Hanneman paralogue, which is a bit annoying because Manuela spawns far away from anyone else and gets two shot by the Pegasus Knights.

Does the Season Pass have things relevant to my current/first time play through? Some games have DLC that you should play first time like XCOM and others assume you've beaten the game like FF15.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

Is there any reason I would not use the professors or the Knights? They seem pretty strong on top of having advanced classes. Or maybe I just got lucky with a few level ups.

I'm derping around in chapter 8. No big updates. Currently in the Manuela and Hanneman paralogue, which is a bit annoying because Manuela spawns far away from anyone else and gets two shot by the Pegasus Knights.

Does the Season Pass have things relevant to my current/first time play through? Some games have DLC that you should play first time like XCOM and others assume you've beaten the game like FF15.

Certain missions will force or restrict your roster. The church gang also can have a lot of difficultly keeping up on their own skills because of that.

The DLC adds a bunch of costumes. It also has some once-per-playthrough stat boosters (including a +2 move item). The sauna really helps with teaching by giving a +2/+4 buff per month. There's one more character who's fairly lousy but acts as another teacher for Byleth learning.

The big DLC is Cindered Shadows which is its own mini-campaign with some heavy restrictions. You'll unlock four new characters by completing missions in it which then unlock four new level 20 classes and get two more paralogues. This opens up a new area in the monastery with its own services. Along with another big reward for completing it that you can use per-playthrough.

There's also a whole bunch of new battalions, I guess.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Cindered Shadows also has some spoilers but nothing past the midpoint afair. The difficulty is tuned more for people who have played before and know the systems though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shadow225 posted:

Catherine/Shamir are very good, Catherine especially if you can get her early.

Setheth is average, but average wyvern lord is still better than most.

Manuel/Hanneman have extremely poor growths.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Your starting class makes for a strong core because you’ve had them from level 1, meaning they’ll have access to all the weapon and class skills you’ve unlocked as you’ve been training them. They also all have supports with each other, which adds up to a decent sum of bonuses. Characters recruited later on will have less diverse skills and no class masteries. That goes for the Church characters as well as anyone poached from another house.

For teachers specifically, Manuela has a good speed growth, but fairly weak offensive and defensive stats, while Hanneman has good magic but awful speed and low defenses. The Knights tend to slot into their roles just fine.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 11, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Manuel/Hanneman have extremely poor growths.
uh, they do?

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Like Clockwork posted:

Cindered Shadows also has some spoilers but nothing past the midpoint afair. The difficulty is tuned more for people who have played before and know the systems though.

IIRC, technically the end of CS has spoilers for some stuff that is only explicitly revealed at the end of SS (indeed, basically the only unique stuff that narratively separated it from VW so SS is even more redundant as a route post-DLC), but the stuff revealed is pretty obvious and only really relates to Byleth's backstory.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Amppelix posted:

uh, they do?

Hanneman has 25% str and 20% spd, he will never double anything and the second someone looks at him he dies.

Manuela is a bit better with 30% str/60% spd, but has a mag growth of 40%.

They're pretty much filler units if you get all your regular casters killed on Classic. The only redeeming feature they have is that they both get siege magic.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
On the other hand, the game is easy enough that even the weaker adults will still be useful to have around. Use them if you like the characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hannemann and Manuela both have pretty good spell lists. They're not amazing but they're totally fine.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Hanneman has 25% str and 20% spd, he will never double anything and the second someone looks at him he dies.

Manuela is a bit better with 30% str/60% spd, but has a mag growth of 40%.

They're pretty much filler units if you get all your regular casters killed on Classic. The only redeeming feature they have is that they both get siege magic.
why are you acting like 30 str, 40 mag, 60 spd aren't great offensive growths

because they're great offensive growths

you can go really far with just 60% speed.

and yeah sure hanneman has below average growths, but extremely bad???

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been using Manuela, and she's been great. Granted, I'm only on chap 14 of my first playthrough, but she does wonders being able to mix up good support/healing with offense with a Levin Sword.

That said, I had something odd happen during the Deidrue battle. Lysinthea gave me the option to have her join. But I didn't get C rank on anyone outside my core and the other professors pre-chapter 9. It was just weird. And since we're so far along, I can't even get her support up to preload her for my next playthrough.

Which follows into my next question; what stats are kept into NG+? Byleth's? Everyone else's? Is it just all reset, and I have to purchase everything with renown? Is it worth me training up Lysinthea's skills on the back half of this game so she can be mega deadly when I play with Claude next?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

AlternateNu posted:

what stats are kept into NG+? Byleth's? Everyone else's? Is it just all reset, and I have to purchase everything with renown? Is it worth me training up Lysinthea's skills on the back half of this game so she can be mega deadly when I play with Claude next?

Stats like STR and MAG, none. Skills like Sword, Faith, whatever you had unlocked before is purchasable with renown. Regarding Lysithea, there's no need she's OP as hell regardless, but also no reason not to. :getin:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AlternateNu posted:

That said, I had something odd happen during the Deidrue battle. Lysinthea gave me the option to have her join. But I didn't get C rank on anyone outside my core and the other professors pre-chapter 9. It was just weird. And since we're so far along, I can't even get her support up to preload her for my next playthrough.

Which follows into my next question; what stats are kept into NG+? Byleth's? Everyone else's? Is it just all reset, and I have to purchase everything with renown? Is it worth me training up Lysinthea's skills on the back half of this game so she can be mega deadly when I play with Claude next?

Each route has a student you can spare and recruit post-timeskip (I think only if you defeat them with Byleth). if you want to know: Ashe on Golden Deer, Lorenz on Blue Lions

It's all purchased back with renown (support levels, skill levels, professor level), but Lysithea is always really deadly so don't worry too much, she's basically a nuke from very early on. You also get a big renown dump when you start a NG+ so you can pretty much buy anything straight away.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Aren't those two only recruitable if you've recruited them during the first part? Lysithea seems to be a special case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cloacamazing! posted:

Aren't those two only recruitable if you've recruited them during the first part? Lysithea seems to be a special case.

Oh, you're probably right there, I've never been in a situation where I haven't recruited them beforehand