Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I only realised like a couple of years ago that Krusty's version of 'Send in the Clowns' wasn't the actual lyrics to that song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I watched "Radioactive Man" last night and that's a classic episode, good to introduce people to The Simpsons with.

I already knew it had my all-time favourite line, "My eyes, the goggles do nothing!" but I completely forgot about Skinner's "Strange, I shouldn't have been able to hear that" that made me laugh for like 5 minutes.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

It's from later Simpsons, but I have to say "Gil's eating FOOD tonight!" is one of my favourite lines and deliveries in the history of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1_H25G3F-U

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Season 3 and 7 are probably the ones where you get the best idea of what the Simpsons “world” is like (though the latter has many more funny episodes)- and if they enjoy those, you can work your way to the really awesome stuff in the middle. I wouldn’t want them to watch one be like “I don’t get it” and my only recourse to be “well that was the best one!!”

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Make them watch the Tony Hawk episode. If they can't handle The Simpsons at its worst they don't deserve it at its best! (not really tho)

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Make them watch the Tony Hawk episode. If they can't handle The Simpsons at its worst they don't deserve it at its best! (not really tho)
there have been 382 episodes since that episode

venomsnek
Apr 13, 2018

THE KING UTTERED SOMETHING

PostNouveau posted:

Although "You Only Move Twice" is the best episode, it relies a lot on taking The Simpsons out of their natural habitat in a way that might not land if you don't know what their natural habitat is.

"Marge vs. the Monorail" is probably a can't miss episode.

This was the episode that convinced my mom Simpsons wasn’t an awful show that was going to warp our young minds and made my dad a fan.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nutsngum posted:

So what's the general consensus for best episode to show someone who has never seen the Simpsons before?

Duffless might be a good choice. It’s a fairly down to earth story that gives all the main cast something to do, and it’s hard to beat season 4 in the humor department.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Nutsngum posted:

So what's the general consensus for best episode to show someone who has never seen the Simpsons before?
I'll leave alien contact protocols to the government

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Voting Floater posted:

I only realised like a couple of years ago that Krusty's version of 'Send in the Clowns' wasn't the actual lyrics to that song.

Doing better than me - I only learned that when I read this post.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I'm so tired of the "SIMPSONS PREDICTED ______" meme

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
South Park had the right take in that the Simpsons has been on so long it's done pretty much anything you can imagine, doesn't make it particularly special in that respect.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I forgot Gil was introduced that far into the series, for whatever reason he's really stuck with my friend and I. He's the go-to for us whenever someone at work comes up with some new initiative or service that's doomed to failure. "It's gonna work out for Ol' Gil this time for sure!"

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Doing a bad Jack Lemmon impression is a lot of fun, I can see why they kept bringing him back.

"Oh, this is bad. This is really bad! You work, and you slave, and you steal just enough for a sweet lick of that shiny brass ring... don't I get a lick? Doesn't Gil get a lick?"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

South Park had the right take in that the Simpsons has been on so long it's done pretty much anything you can imagine, doesn't make it particularly special in that respect.

South Park itself has been on longer than the Simpsons had been when they did the "Simpsons did it" episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly if you'd told me in 1999 that South Park would last longer than like 4 seasons I would have LOL'd.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

Honestly if you'd told me in 1999 that South Park would last longer than like 4 seasons I would have LOL'd.

On one hand, if it ended with season 4, we never would have gotten the masterpiece that is Scott Tennorman Must Die. On the other hand, the world would probably be a better place.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

On one hand, if it ended with season 4, we never would have gotten the masterpiece that is Scott Tennorman Must Die. On the other hand, the world would probably be a better place.

Guys, guys, get this: maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle :twisted:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
While we're on the subject, the South Park movie was like a million times better than the Simpsons movie, btw.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YeahTubaMike posted:

While we're on the subject, the South Park movie was like a million times better than the Simpsons movie, btw.

:hai:

Uncle Fucker is a jam

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

:hai:

Uncle Fucker is a jam

"Blame Canada" is not even close to the best song in that movie, but it was the best song that they could play at the Oscars.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My English 101 professor was this old guy and he told me he checked out the South Park movie from the library, didn't even know what South Park was, and it was the funniest movie he had ever seen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's really good and probably the show's high point. South park been limping along like simpsons for a while now too but I don't think it's as bad as BS (bad simpsons) even if it sometimes has worse opinions

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's really good and probably the show's high point. South park been limping along like simpsons for a while now too but I don't think it's as bad as BS (bad simpsons) even if it sometimes has worse opinions

Last season spent a lot of time on a storyline where Randy moved the family out to a pot farm he started. It kinda made me sick of Randy.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Last season spent a lot of time on a storyline where Randy moved the family out to a pot farm he started. It kinda made me sick of Randy.

I feel like after Cartmans popularity waned (or they got sick of writing the same 3 or so jokes for him) they switched the focus over to Randy and those are absolutely some of the best episodes of the show, at least the only redeemable parts of the later years. I can watch the Creme Fraiche episode a thousand times and not get sick of it.

With that said I totally agree, the last few seasons with arching plots kind of suck, but only kind of, and they managed to make me like Randy less.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

YeahTubaMike posted:

Well yeah, since The Simpsons movie was made about a decade after the show was still in a decently watchable state. Garbage rear end on a butt thrown into theaters had a stronger viability than absurdly bad late 2000s Simpsons, though it helps that the South Park movie is brilliant and the absolute best thing from the franchise.

Too bad South Park hasn't been watchable in years either ever since they've shifted far into tedious storylines filled with libertarian politics thicker than a Northern California forest. Good thing we still have awesome cartoons out there like Bob's Burgers.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 12, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Too bad South Park hasn't been watchable in years either ever since they've shifted far into tedious storylines filled with libertarian politics thicker than a Northern California forest.

In the last ~3 seasons, they've drifted more toward like a mainstream Democratic position. Including in 2016 when Mr. Garrison ran for president basically as Donald Trump and they had like a 30 seconds of him screaming at the camera that he didn't actually want to be president and you should vote for Hillary.

Also they did an episode pretty much apologizing to Al Gore and admitting he was right about climate change.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Detective No. 27 posted:

My English 101 professor was this old guy and he told me he checked out the South Park movie from the library, didn't even know what South Park was, and it was the funniest movie he had ever seen.

I don't know if I'll ever again experience the sheer unalloyed joy of seeing that movie in the theater, with the impact of every line of the script amped up by a thousand fans all laughing so hard I missed the next three lines. They don't seem to make movies that ridiculously funny anymore. And it was legitimately the best musical of the year

The Beavis & Butt-head movie was about like that too. Way better movie than it had any reason to be.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Data Graham posted:

The Beavis & Butt-head movie was about like that too. Way better movie than it had any reason to be.

Man I've only seen that movie a couple of times and I still remember nearly every scene because it was so surprisingly good.

I cannot remember more than two or three jokes, let alone scenes, from the Simpsons movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

I cannot remember more than two or three jokes, let alone scenes, from the Simpsons movie.

Lake Springfield is on the verge of ecological collapse because of people throwing garbage in it,so the whole town agrees to . Homer gets a pig. Homer does not properly dispose of the pig's waste, keeping it in a makeshift silo. Marge makes him get rid of it. He dumps it in the lake, and it's the triggering event for a complete catastrophe.

Evil EPA administrator Albert Brooks convinces President Arnold Schwarzenegger (actually Arnold, not Ranier Wolfcastle) to take drastic action. The EPA contains the disaster by dropping a big dome over Springfield. The town finds out Homer's at fault, and a pitchforks and torches mob arrives to kill the Simpsons. They escape through a sinkhole in their backyard that leads outside the dome. (why doesn't all of Springfield dig their way out? gently caress you that's why)

The Simpsons move to Alaska to start over. I don't remember what, but something happens in Alaska that's the last straw for Marge, and she takes the kids and leaves Homer to go back to Springfield without him. Homer goes on a vision quest guided by an Inuit shaman which reveals to him that he needs to save Springfield to win them back.

For some reason the EPA guy wants to blow up Springfield. Homer arrives to find a suitcase bomb about to kill everyone. At some point in the movie he saw two motorcyclists at a carnival show do the "2 guys drive around inside a sphere" trick and Lisa explained to him the science of how they go vertical up the walls, starting out going horizontally and increasing their verticality slowly. He commandeers a motorcycle, takes Bart with him for some reason, and they ride the motorcycle up to the air hole at the top and throw the bomb out. It detonates on the dome, shattering it. Dr. Nick is killed by a huge shard of glass.

In the B story, Lisa has a crush on an Irish boy.

Celebrity cameos: Green Day, Minnie Driver, Erin Brockovich

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Lake Springfield is on the verge of ecological collapse because of people throwing garbage in it,so the whole town agrees to . Homer gets a pig. Homer does not properly dispose of the pig's waste, keeping it in a makeshift silo. Marge makes him get rid of it. He dumps it in the lake, and it's the triggering event for a complete catastrophe.

Evil EPA administrator Albert Brooks convinces President Arnold Schwarzenegger (actually Arnold, not Ranier Wolfcastle) to take drastic action. The EPA contains the disaster by dropping a big dome over Springfield. The town finds out Homer's at fault, and a pitchforks and torches mob arrives to kill the Simpsons. They escape through a sinkhole in their backyard that leads outside the dome. (why doesn't all of Springfield dig their way out? gently caress you that's why)

The Simpsons move to Alaska to start over. I don't remember what, but something happens in Alaska that's the last straw for Marge, and she takes the kids and leaves Homer to go back to Springfield without him. Homer goes on a vision quest guided by an Inuit shaman which reveals to him that he needs to save Springfield to win them back.

For some reason the EPA guy wants to blow up Springfield. Homer arrives to find a suitcase bomb about to kill everyone. At some point in the movie he saw two motorcyclists at a carnival show do the "2 guys drive around inside a sphere" trick and Lisa explained to him the science of how they go vertical up the walls, starting out going horizontally and increasing their verticality slowly. He commandeers a motorcycle, takes Bart with him for some reason, and they ride the motorcycle up to the air hole at the top and throw the bomb out. It detonates on the dome, shattering it. Dr. Nick is killed by a huge shard of glass.

In the B story, Lisa has a crush on an Irish boy.

Celebrity cameos: Green Day, Minnie Driver, Erin Brockovich

Martin finally gets revenge on the bullies (at a very awkward moment in the movie) which is apparently something the writers thought people were asking for?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh, also Bart turns to Flanders as an alternate father figure, which is something that's actually come up a few more times on the show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PinheadSlim posted:

Man I've only seen that movie a couple of times and I still remember nearly every scene because it was so surprisingly good.

The road signs.

"Butte ... Weippe...."

"Meeteetse!"

Fuckin ... I still lose it just remembering

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
hey now the simpsons movie wasnt so bad, after all it had the slam-dunk classic SPIDER PIG :haw:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Junk posted:

hey now the simpsons movie wasnt so bad, after all it had the slam-dunk classic SPIDER PIG :haw:

I liked the spider pig joke. The problem was that it was in EVERY trailer. So by the time I saw the movie it wasn't funny anymore.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

They could have added a new Simpson too, just to round out the tv-series movie checklist.
Perfect time to make roy a main character.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

"Blame Canada" is not even close to the best song in that movie, but it was the best song that they could play at the Oscars.

I would have loved to hear lyrics like "they may cut your dick in half & serve it to a pig, and though it hurts you'll laugh & dance a dickless jig" at the Oscars.

edit:

sweet geek swag posted:

I liked the spider pig joke. The problem was that it was in EVERY trailer. So by the time I saw the movie it wasn't funny anymore.

I thought it was chuckleworthy the first time I saw it, and that was it. So if I saw the movie without having seen that joke already, I would have been like "heh :unsmith: " and went about my business.

Also they made waaaaaaaayyyyy too big of a deal about Bart's dick.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
At this point, what isn't the lowest point of the Simpsons?