Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weka posted:

This is from a while ago but I happened to be reading about these today and I recalled there was some confusion about how to use them. They have a spout in the mouth, you plug it with your thumb and scoop wine into it, then remove your thumb and let the wine run into your mouth. The ancient equivalent of a beer bong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyton

Well my interest in buying replica rhytons just went way up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arruns "the rat-snitch good-time-ruiner" of Closium.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Do you we know how many times steel was invented?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No. It's possible it was only invented once and the technology spread, but IIRC majority opinion is it popped up a few places in the old world. The earliest steel shows up in Anatolia.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Grand Fromage posted:

No. It's possible it was only invented once and the technology spread, but IIRC majority opinion is it popped up a few places in the old world. The earliest steel shows up in Anatolia.

This is what historians refer to as the Riddle of Steel.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You'd be better off setting up a chording keyboard like a brailler.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They've got 6 years to identify all the old walking paths in Britain before landowners are allowed to close them off for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dYc0Ouxhx0
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/ramblers-protect-rights-and-corpse-roads
https://www.ramblers.org.uk/dontloseyourway/

It does seem like one of those things that satellite archaeology would come in handy for.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

now the lugal can google

This was fantastic

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

iirc archaeologists are pretty convinced that iron working was developed independently in subSaharan Africa. Meanwhile whether East Asia imported the tech from the steppe or developed it themselves is still disputed.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Squalid posted:

Meanwhile whether East Asia imported the tech from the steppe or developed it themselves is still disputed.

There's also a theory that it was both; China invented it independently, but it spread to Mongolia -> Korea -> Japan from the western steppe rather than China, since China's iron was cast but the latter all used bloomeries.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lol at Braintree and Holme just hanging out among all the Latin names. A quick look at wikipedia implies that we don't know the Roman name for the settlements there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
e: wrong thread

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

What's the building with the three giant arches at the back? I've got photos of it from when I was in Rome 20 years ago, but no idea what it is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Elissimpark posted:

What's the building with the three giant arches at the back? I've got photos of it from when I was in Rome 20 years ago, but no idea what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Maxentius

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Seeing the real size of this thing was phantastic

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah that's what ur mom said

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Roman Moretum (Herbed cheese spread)

Source (with truly amusing copyright notices) https://tavolamediterranea.com/2018/01/15/columellas-moretum/

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Not enough cabbage in there.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
That’s the sort of copyright you’d put on the spicier sort of religious scripture

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

CommunityEdition posted:

That’s the sort of copyright you’d put on the spicier sort of religious scripture

*Turns on reader view*

ubinam deus tuus nunc est? :agesilaus:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Squalid posted:

iirc archaeologists are pretty convinced that iron working was developed independently in subSaharan Africa. Meanwhile whether East Asia imported the tech from the steppe or developed it themselves is still disputed.

If I remember African arch correctly, the thinking is that it also emerged independently several times within Africa, with Nubia and the Nok region being the big two, and maybe a third in the Interlacustrine Region. Though the Interlacustrine is close enough to Nubia and uses a similar enough technique that it may have come from there. Studies of the big internal African trade networks are in their infancy.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Thanks!

Power Khan posted:

Seeing the real size of this thing was phantastic

Also this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

KiteAuraan posted:

If I remember African arch correctly, the thinking is that it also emerged independently several times within Africa, with Nubia and the Nok region being the big two, and maybe a third in the Interlacustrine Region. Though the Interlacustrine is close enough to Nubia and uses a similar enough technique that it may have come from there. Studies of the big internal African trade networks are in their infancy.
I'd really enjoy hearing more about this.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Elissimpark posted:

Thanks!

Also this.

When I was there, they had a mobile platform hanging down there with people doing some work. You don't really get the insane scale of these arches, unless there's a person right there for reference.

Still need to see the Hagia Sophia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'd really enjoy hearing more about this.

Me too. The only one I know of is in Tanzania, and it was around 2000 years ago so it's possible it was spread from the Mediterranean down the East African sea routes. But I also don't know what tech they were using, it may be obviously independent invention if they were doing something more primitive than Mediterranean steel making.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm really curious to know more too. On the surface level it sounds kinda unbelievable to me that iron was invented in Africa independently multiple times before bronze, when it seems to have come afterwards literally everywhere else in the world, and possibly only invented once and spread from there. But then I'm not an archaeologist so if this is the favored theory then they surely know better than me about how it all works.

It has me wondering a bit about how some of this technology diffuses though. Like for China it was made using blast furnaces first which is distinct from the bloomeries their neighbors used, but is that because Chinese metalsmiths encountered this cool grey metal via trade and realized "hey wait so we can make that too?" and figured it out from there their own way, or was it genuinely just that they got iron from nothing? Likewise for Sub-Saharan Africa, it shows up there some centuries after it was first made in the near east; could a similar thing have happened?
Or alternatively I'm probably too set in some kind of linear path to technological development; just because iron was developed one way in other parts of the old world doesn't mean that's the only way it can happen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can see ironworking arising without bronze, since bronze requires access to both tin and copper and tin is relatively hard to find. Bronze almost requires long distance trade unless you're real lucky in your location. Iron is way more abundant than either metal, which was why it replaces bronze when you have the ability to work with it. It's inferior (until you figure out steel), but it's way cheaper and easier to get.

I do wonder how you make the leap to understanding metalworking at all though, since it's so much harder to get the heat required to make iron. Maybe if you're using high temperature furnaces for something else? Glassmaking? I dunno.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Ceramics, maybe? I think stoneware was popular at the right time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grand Fromage posted:

I can see ironworking arising without bronze, since bronze requires access to both tin and copper and tin is relatively hard to find. Bronze almost requires long distance trade unless you're real lucky in your location. Iron is way more abundant than either metal, which was why it replaces bronze when you have the ability to work with it. It's inferior (until you figure out steel), but it's way cheaper and easier to get.

I do wonder how you make the leap to understanding metalworking at all though, since it's so much harder to get the heat required to make iron. Maybe if you're using high temperature furnaces for something else? Glassmaking? I dunno.
I think it is generally held that cheese was probably invented by a guy storing his milk in a cow bladder and having the 2001 music come on as he considered the resulting curds and whey, so a similar process might have occurred with ore bearing stones? I think tin and lead melt at temperatures you could hit in a campfire, and while neither would be super useful, they might illustrate the process.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah you'd have to have accidentally realized that there are rocks you can heat up and metal comes out of them before you can do anything else. I bet mercury is a likely one since cinnabar was used all over the place for pigments and other art. Lead bearing minerals aren't uncommon either.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah you'd have to have accidentally realized that there are rocks you can heat up and metal comes out of them before you can do anything else. I bet mercury is a likely one since cinnabar was used all over the place for pigments and other art. Lead bearing minerals aren't uncommon either.

What about copper nuggets?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

What about copper nuggets?
Copper wouldn't melt at campfire temperatures. It does seem possible that they would encounter some elemental silver or gold just laying around - obviously at this point we've picked most of that clean but in 6500 BC you may well be the first human in a particular area.

Is tin naturally shiny? Maybe tin was made for ornaments and the same technology later got applied to bronze working.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nessus posted:

Copper wouldn't melt at campfire temperatures. It does seem possible that they would encounter some elemental silver or gold just laying around - obviously at this point we've picked most of that clean but in 6500 BC you may well be the first human in a particular area.

Is tin naturally shiny? Maybe tin was made for ornaments and the same technology later got applied to bronze working.

It could also just be a gradual process rather than a sudden eureka moment. Maybe somebody finds a copper nugget and thinks it looks cool, and hammers it into a neat shape. Then someone else finds out that, while it doesn’t melt, a campfire makes it softer and easier to work. Then a third person experiments with hotter fires until they figure out how to melt it.

Early human history is full of weird experimentation like that, we’re naturally curious (especially once alcohol enters the mix).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think I remember reading that along the Indus they had kilns that would grab the wind and get super super hot?

That's the one that's the wind tunnel from the Himalayas right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fly Molo posted:

It could also just be a gradual process rather than a sudden eureka moment. Maybe somebody finds a copper nugget and thinks it looks cool, and hammers it into a neat shape. Then someone else finds out that, while it doesn’t melt, a campfire makes it softer and easier to work. Then a third person experiments with hotter fires until they figure out how to melt it.

Early human history is full of weird experimentation like that, we’re naturally curious (especially once alcohol enters the mix).
You're gonna wear out the 2001 tape like that!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nessus posted:

You're gonna wear out the 2001 tape like that!

You’re not my real dad!!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Not to distract much from metal chat but this seems pretty amazing. I can't wait until more of this tech is used at other sites: http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/falerii-novi-ground-penetrating-radar-survey-08513.html The lede:

quote:

The first high-resolution ground-penetrating radar survey of a complete ancient Roman town — Falerii Novi, in Lazio, Italy — has revealed previously unrecorded public buildings, such as a temple, a macellum or market building, a bath complex, and the ancient city’s network of water pipes.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

Hematite is, I could see that leading to iron use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

spoon daddy posted:

Not to distract much from metal chat but this seems pretty amazing. I can't wait until more of this tech is used at other sites: http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/falerii-novi-ground-penetrating-radar-survey-08513.html The lede:

Ground-penetrating radar is the coolest thing. There's a plot point in Childhood's End where a human says "No matter how advanced the alien overlords are, they can't see through solid rock." And now we can. Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.