Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Fried Watermelon posted:

Buddy you got called a "hero" that's worth so much more than money...

I like the tweet way back that said something like "we're not heroes we're hostages"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The term "serf" really resonates with me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hang ten, buddy

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Steven McNiel announced a big thing in early May saying healthcare workers would be getting a $2000 bonus for working through the pandemic, and hasn't said a single word about it since then. I'd bet money he's hoping people forget

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
hahahah. In Quebec we get 1000$ per month* nerds.

*Worked full time**
**If you get COVID and are sick too bad.***
***Refuse to be transferred to another unit or a red hot nursing home? your loss.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

if it’s any comfort, the vast majority of quebecers hate these poo poo heads whose only purpose is generating drama with their lovely stupid ideas for Quebecor Media. They lack a proper leftist newspaper, and instead only have succ central through LaPresse and Fox News lite with all Quebecor related stuff.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

sweet I just woke up with a fever and sore throat, got a test scheduled for friday, nice that this happened right after my vacation request got shot down so I can look like a giant rear end in a top hat

for any of you edmonton goons maybe avoid the kingsway area for a bit just in case i'm positive

edit: I really wish I did a liquor run before possibly catching corvids

blatman has issued a correction as of 04:40 on Jun 11, 2020

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

blind man brewery will deliver to you

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Popoto posted:

if it’s any comfort, the vast majority of quebecers hate these poo poo heads whose only purpose is generating drama with their lovely stupid ideas for Quebecor Media. They lack a proper leftist newspaper, and instead only have succ central through LaPresse and Fox News lite with all Quebecor related stuff.

we've got urbania, do they count?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mayor Stewart's big announcement on "police reform" today was to call on Premier Horgan to look into doing police reform :allears:

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Juul-Whip posted:

Mayor Stewart's big announcement on "police reform" today was to call on Premier Horgan to look into doing police reform :allears:

Mayor Milquetoast

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Speaking of police/RCMP reform.

https://twitter.com/jennierussell_/status/1271223574884347905?s=20

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I feel like a lot of body/dash cam issues could be resolved by livestreaming them 24/7

oh and also being able to legally crush cops who do poo poo like that

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Jan posted:

we've got urbania, do they count?

They now feature Éric Duhaime, so no.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The second part to my other post.

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1271255115060502533?s=20

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Lotta people on twitter claiming the cops actions were justified because Allan was "aggressive/trying to start a fight" earlier in the extended video. He's already on the ground and restrained when they punch him ffs.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

blatman posted:

I feel like a lot of body/dash cam issues could be resolved by livestreaming them 24/7

I'm sure that its somehow "too expensive"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Blisster posted:

Lotta people on twitter claiming the cops actions were justified because Allan was "aggressive/trying to start a fight" earlier in the extended video. He's already on the ground and restrained when they punch him ffs.

Lotta people think that if you mouth off to a cop or are just uncooperative you deserve whatever they do to you, because a lotta people can't fathom de-escalation or that having your feelings hurt doesn't justify violence, an idea we try to instill in people in kindergarten. Most cops and cop-apologists operate at below a 1st-grade level of emotional maturity is what I'm saying.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Entropic posted:

Lotta people think that if you mouth off to a cop or are just uncooperative you deserve whatever they do to you, because a lotta people can't fathom de-escalation or that having your feelings hurt doesn't justify violence, an idea we try to instill in people in kindergarten. Most cops and cop-apologists operate at below a 1st-grade level of emotional maturity is what I'm saying.

cops are taught that the only way to deal with a situation, any situation, is to establish yourself as the sole authority figure and assert your dominance over all others

they will constantly and continuously escalate a situation, up to and including threatening and using deadly force, to establish that they are the authority figure and you will do what they want you to do

some people in our society have internalized this logic to such an extent that they blame anyone in any interaction with a police officer for whatever violence is inflicted upon them because they appeared not to accept the police officer's dominance over them: "if you just did what he said you wouldn't have been murdered! if you just acknowledged that the police are the absolute authority figure and have the right to do whatever they want in any situation, you wouldn't have been beaten into a coma!" etc.

it's what you say, people can't fathom de-escalation or feeling emotions other than anger, but it's also full-throated authoritarianism and toxic masculinity, the cop can never back down because backing down suggests that someone else might have more authority or be more dominant than them in a situation, so they escalate and escalate and escalate until either the other person backs down or the other person is dead

police "de-escalation" is almost always just trying to teach cops how to escalate situations to establish authority without killing people, which is why training de-escalation doesn't work because cops are inherently trained not to de-escalate but to escalate situations, it's like trying to train a businessperson not to pursue profits, the whole point of their job is to pursue that goal so if you actually managed to change that behaviour it would require a complete rethinking of the way the entire institutional structure exists and by that point you might as well not even call them police anymore

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

so Ontario, under Doug Ford enters phase 2 and the opening of restaurants as long as they have a patio

if we were under Rob Ford we’d be enjoying restaurants with patois only

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

cops are taught that the only way to deal with a situation, any situation, is to establish yourself as the sole authority figure and assert your dominance over all others

they will constantly and continuously escalate a situation, up to and including threatening and using deadly force, to establish that they are the authority figure and you will do what they want you to do

some people in our society have internalized this logic to such an extent that they blame anyone in any interaction with a police officer for whatever violence is inflicted upon them because they appeared not to accept the police officer's dominance over them: "if you just did what he said you wouldn't have been murdered! if you just acknowledged that the police are the absolute authority figure and have the right to do whatever they want in any situation, you wouldn't have been beaten into a coma!" etc.

it's what you say, people can't fathom de-escalation or feeling emotions other than anger, but it's also full-throated authoritarianism and toxic masculinity, the cop can never back down because backing down suggests that someone else might have more authority or be more dominant than them in a situation, so they escalate and escalate and escalate until either the other person backs down or the other person is dead

police "de-escalation" is almost always just trying to teach cops how to escalate situations to establish authority without killing people, which is why training de-escalation doesn't work because cops are inherently trained not to de-escalate but to escalate situations, it's like trying to train a businessperson not to pursue profits, the whole point of their job is to pursue that goal so if you actually managed to change that behaviour it would require a complete rethinking of the way the entire institutional structure exists and by that point you might as well not even call them police anymore

I think you’re spot on for the most part. I’m not exactly optimistic, but I think it’s possible to create police services who aren’t just extrajudicial murder squads. Unfortunately it seems like that is the exception rather than the rule

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_by_country

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Being the police should be every citizens duty on a rotation, like jury duty. Also when you are the cop for the year you get the nice cop salary, so its also wealth redistribution.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

if we were under Rob Ford we’d be enjoying restaurants with patois only

jerk chicken?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Maybe some nice cracklins

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

pokeyman posted:

jerk chicken?

He was a fan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iXpwflzSF4M

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Rutibex posted:

Being the police should be every citizens duty on a rotation, like jury duty. Also when you are the cop for the year you get the nice cop salary, so its also wealth redistribution.

I'm all for some legitimate means of wealth redistribution, but I know some people who should absolutely never be given the responsibilities of a cop. Mayhem would ensue.

Some sort of screening would be required.

CocoaNuts has issued a correction as of 11:37 on Jun 15, 2020

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

CocoaNuts posted:

I'm all for some legitimate means of wealth redistribution, but I know some people who should absolutely never be given the responsibilities of a cop. Mayhem would ensue.

we are already living that reality with no screening. that’s why we’re having this conversation

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CocoaNuts posted:

Well yeah, they don't just let any racist idiot be on a jury.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Noblesse Obliged posted:

we are already living that reality with no screening. that’s why we’re having this conversation

Actually, I'd argue there is screening. You currently have to be inclined toward aggression and you must be suggestible to indoctrination. We don't want more of that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CocoaNuts posted:

Conscription exists but you still have to pass basic training

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ah yes, everyone must take rotations being the hand that pushes down the masses and enforces the status quo.

That'll fix it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Naw we figured it out in the martial arts thread. To be a neocop you have to be a loveable nonthreatening grandma type from the neighbourhood and the main function will no longer be "enforcement" but rather shaming people for being dummies and maybe occasionally hitting them with a slipper.

e.g.

"Now Chris - word is going around that you're cooking meth in the shed behind your trailer."

"Oh hi Mrs. Strawinski. Uh no I'm not cooking meth."

"Don't give me that! I can see the smoke coming up right now. Why do you need to be cooking meth? You have kids!" (hits with slipper) "Think about those kids!"

"I'm sorry Mrs. Strawinski! I need money!"

"Christopher Jeffery Smith you know better than that" (hits with slipper) "if you were having trouble you should have come and asked. Now you go shut down that meth lab right now and I'm going to see if I can get Mr and Mrs Denbow to make some nice soup for you and the kids. Bring the kids down to my house in an hour."

"Ok Mrs. Strawinski."

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
And for solving mysterious crimes we just have to bring the Littlest Hobo out of retirement

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

anyone caught stealing is forced to act on a CBC crime drama.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

apatheticman posted:

Ah yes, everyone must take rotations being the hand that pushes down the masses and enforces the status quo.

That'll fix it.

Well then what the gently caress do we do then? Gonna offer up some suggestions other than 'don't do a loving thing?' Even if you believe that all crime at its root is a failure of society and not the individual you gotta admit the fact that we as a society gently caress things up from time to time and that's no excuse to stand idly by and let people steal stuff and injure or kill people.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

anyone caught stealing is forced to act on a CBC crime drama.

Yikes. Cruel and unusual punishment.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

EvilJoven posted:

Yikes. Cruel and unusual punishment.

It didn't say they had to watch them too

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

EvilJoven posted:

Well then what the gently caress do we do then? Gonna offer up some suggestions other than 'don't do a loving thing?' Even if you believe that all crime at its root is a failure of society and not the individual you gotta admit the fact that we as a society gently caress things up from time to time and that's no excuse to stand idly by and let people steal stuff and injure or kill people.

You have a failure of imagination.

What should we do?

Restore social programs that focus on mental health, substance abuse, and just giving kids something to do.

Focus on restorative justice rather than punitive justice, make white collar crime carry the same if not more consequences.

Have the systems in place to help and education people in abusive situations, that they are in fact in an abusive situation, give them solutions to they can get out of that situation and ensure that counselling and social workers are available to both the abusee and the abuser.

Dissolve all police forces and rehire with a focus on community work and social work, have the cop be the guy that settles disputes before they escalate, have a small team in major metropolitan areas that focus on training for violent crime situations.

Not just fascist job rotation.

Also traffic cops should be a separate thing to enforce sober safe driving only.

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Jun 15, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Do all that and there's still going to be the need for people tasked with intervening between people hell bent on causing harm and it's pretty loving privileged and/or naive to think otherwise.

So while I agree with all of those things, were still going to need someone policing the neighborhood, be it citizens on rotation or a dedicated police force. We just need one that isn't mostly a bunch of shitheads.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

apatheticman posted:

Dissolve all police forces and rehire with a focus on community work and social work, have the cop be the guy that settles disputes before they escalate, have a small team in major metropolitan areas that focus on training for violent crime situations.
In between the dissolution of the police force and the establishment of the community safety role there will be a "spike" (real or concocted) in violent crime that will fuel a reactionary populist backlash.

I liked the idea from the Watchmen show of the guns being locked down in the patrol car, and needing to be unlocked remotely by dispatch or whatever. I don't understand why every cop needs to have a killing machine strapped to their hip at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
You really bought into the thin blue line poo poo then huh?

Both those comments come from the weird expectation that there is a contingent of society that's just ready to pounce as soon as the moment is right and are doing a Cost benefit analysis constantly in their head.

It's clear that the prejudice system as it stands does not correspond to a value set that most of us have. So either we need sweeping reform and need to actually have idealized goals or are we just going to goalpost shift ourselves into a police force that shoots minorities and harasses but totally feels bad about it when they get caught, for real this time.

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Jun 15, 2020