Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

They wanted a culture war and voted based on spite let's take all their favourite things away as a result

It really is a lot of fun, I can see why they enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/NoseyMass/status/1271330609411919875?s=20

not reading the mail to find out if it's true but literally the only thing on twitter seems to be people upset about snowflakes

https://twitter.com/rosep16984/status/1271306651111391232?s=20

https://twitter.com/fazandtubz/status/1271326374649683972?s=20

https://twitter.com/deedee_dgr/status/1271294143826886656?s=20

https://twitter.com/Lady44Sassy/status/1271156950450032640?s=20

I'm on board with cancelling it, purely to wind these people up

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
#snowflakes #manup #thrush #millenials

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobstar posted:

Basil is also outrageously offensive to the Germans after getting hit on the head, and I don't think we're meant to side with him there.

I don't think you're ever meant to side with Basil Fawlty.

They're probably going to pull Kung Fu Kapers by the Goodies soon, for a couple of racial stereotypes and a blackface scene.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most of these things just get edited, which apparently is just as bad, despite nobody seeming to get upset about the thousands of hours of jokes that didn't go so well at the time that got left on the cutting room floor.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
We demand the 4hr Snyder Cut of Gavin and Stacey S3E04

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gammons: Oh what are you going to do cry about your safe space snowflake millenials.

Also gammons: they took the racism out of my favourite TV show I watched as a child, this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me and I need to find a emotional support nonce statue to hug to feel better.

The meme with the guy "I am never going to [emotionally] recover from this."

E:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 12, 2020

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
The 1970's were wild
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x461bzh (starts 8 minutes in).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao how have i not known/forgotten this?

https://twitter.com/ptfen/status/1271156813954613248?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

Most of these things just get edited, which apparently is just as bad, despite nobody seeming to get upset about the thousands of hours of jokes that didn't go so well at the time that got left on the cutting room floor.

TV channels have a history of really shoddily editing existing shows though. Most of the time they remove the bad word but none of the context surrounding it, so the scene just doesn't make any sense.

Fawlty Towers should get in the bin though. Remember when the country got up in arms about Andrew Sachs, not because they like him as a person but because they fondly remember his racist caricature of an incompetent foreigner.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
This is just going by memory but I'm fairly sure that fawlty towers was edited for TV by the mid 90s

I can remember more than one bit on the full dvd release, like the majors speech, that didn't appear in full on my parents VHS recordings off the telly

I'm sure the next few days of media confected outrage will take such things into full and fair account but I might be too busy hiding in a bush to care

Nature pics?

Nature pics.

The last few days of rain have been a blessing

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Nice pics dan. Yeah the rain was really needed. Smells so much nicer everywhere now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wouldn't mind it to dry out but yeah, we had a long spell without any rain so not gonna complain.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's been raining here for a while but that's good because the plants need water to live

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

TV channels have a history of really shoddily editing existing shows though. Most of the time they remove the bad word but none of the context surrounding it, so the scene just doesn't make any sense.
I guess it varies by service, but now they seem to either remove the entire scene or insert a disclaimer before the show. There's a current outrage about Gone With The Wind being taken down to add a short educational foreword, by people who I'm 90% certain didn't care about the movie last week.

Of course, sometimes networks try to get creative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3cYepBxJus

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Churchill has been put in a box (for the crime of being English), its quite funny as the gammons are going insane but a red phone box or tardis would have been better imo

https://twitter.com/Trad_Western/status/1271342757718700033

clear eyes full farts fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 12, 2020

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Nothing's been "banned" or "cancelled". A series of private companies are reviewing their content, like they do when, say, they take a scheduled violent film off air in the aftermath of a terrorist incident. It's market forces, not sympathy for BLM.

The thumbs have a range of options open to them. They could contact these companies and express their disgust at the declining amount of racism on their screens, vote with their wallets by cancelling their premium content accounts, or, heaven forbid, refuse to pay their TV licences. But I suspect they will revert to type, which is to say, pitch a huge tantrum and thrash around like red-faced toddlers in shat nappies.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This statue had bleach poured on it.

https://twitter.com/redball2/status/1271326419344224256

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume, if it's bronze, that's someone attempting to do the bronze disease thing given bleach has chlorine in it.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

that sun front page is so incredibly hosed up

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gh0stpinballa posted:

that sun front page is so incredibly hosed up

Which one? The JKR one?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

stev posted:

Which one? The JKR one?

yeah, i don't know why i'm surprised they would go there. having had friends who survived domestic violence that one has really got to me today.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Domestic violence victim or not she's still a bad person

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Sun and JKR are both utter poo poo and now they get to be mad at one another.

OwlFancier posted:

I assume, if it's bronze, that's someone attempting to do the bronze disease thing given bleach has chlorine in it.
That was my thought as well.

Or they may just have been thinking "bleach black man statue white pee pee doo doo i am rasis."

Fortunately hypochlorite isn't the same as chlorine, and though it will corrode bronze at high concentrations it's usually surface level, and even though household strength bleach will form copper chlorides with the bronze it's a slow process, so it looks like they just ended up giving it a bronze wash.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Ash Crimson posted:

seems irrelevant really to whether tabloid newspapers should be allowed to run an "exclusive interview!" with unrepentant woman beaters.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Sun is some kind of bonkers mind game where we all hate JKR but now we have to sympathise with her.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Sun should not be allowed. I don't think anything needs to follow that statement.

Doesn't mean I have to like ISIS just because the Sun happens to hate them though.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Sun is some kind of bonkers mind game where we all hate JKR but now we have to sympathise with her.

you don't have to sympathise with her but you do have to sympathise with the millions of other abused women in this country who will see that headline and realise an incredibly dangerous media outlet has made their trauma fair game to go after in pursuit of sales. it's another shameful day in the long slow decline of this country.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I do worry about the potential for backlash. A statue is no big deal; let’s hope that’s the end of it.

It’s a weird time we are living in now. My best read is that we are seeing western culture shift, slowly and painfully, to reflect the majority values of people who hit adulthood in the 21st century instead of the second half of the 20th.

It’s really interesting how BLM - which is a specifically American movement built out of a specifically American history of oppression - has spread throughout the west and encouraged other countries to look at our own record. Easy access to other perspectives means that cultures are a lot closer IMO, and in the same way that the international right wing co-opted this since 2016, the international left wing is acting with solidarity now. It’s nice to see!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

This is bad for Jeremy..wait, what? *listens to earpiece* Keir Starmer

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

But the defence of the Colston statue is not about race, of course.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ash Crimson posted:

I also found it incredibly distasteful to come out as a victim of sexual assault in her blog response. Not just because she's pulling a Spacey, but uuhhhh what the gently caress does that have to do with trans people? Only makes the slightest connection to the most disgusting type of transphobe.

e: & I just realised I compared a sexual assault victim to a sex offender, which is also very distasteful, but frankly if she doesn't want to be compared to utter vermin maybe she shouldn't act like utter vermin?

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 12, 2020

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

We demand the 4hr Snyder Cut of Gavin and Stacey S3E04

I've seen all of 5 minutes of Gavin and Stacey, but I'd watch this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is difficult not to view it as exploiting her experience to attack others, many of whom go through similar experiences. Whether she intends to or not I don't know but she's a capable and intelligent enough writer to know the effect it's going to have.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I am not the most informed person on trans issues but to me the glinners and jaykays of the world today are reminiscent of the people who believe gay men are paedophiles. I use the present tense because believe me, they're still around. Except in this case trans women are peeping toms/sex offenders. It's just the same kind of bizarre and hysterical fixation that causes the same mental short circuit when I try to understand where people who believe it are coming from. Like they really believe people are prepared to go through all of the strife and upheaval that accompanies changing gender just to be able to cop a look at some boobs and fannies like something out of the film Porky's

OwlFancier posted:

It is difficult not to view it as exploiting her experience to attack others, many of whom go through similar experiences. Whether she intends to or not I don't know but she's a capable and intelligent enough writer to know the effect it's going to have.

She's weaponising an experience as a victim and she knows exactly what she's doing imo. It's meant to distract from the ridiculous power and privilege she has now

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Borrovan posted:

I also found it incredibly distasteful to come out as a victim of sexual assault in her blog response. Not just because she's pulling a Spacey, but uuhhhh what the gently caress does that have to do with trans people? Only makes the slightest connection to the most disgusting type of transphobe.

e: & I just realised I compared a sexual assault victim to a sex offender, which is also very distasteful, but frankly if she doesn't want to be compared to utter vermin maybe she shouldn't act like utter vermin?

Rowling is utter vermin. She's the perfect liberal, which is to say that she's a Tory without the background or connections to actually be a Tory. Like all liberals she believes it is right that ladders should exist to help when she needs it but also be pulled up behind her to make sure that nobody undeserving uses them later. Her books, or at least the ones she's famous for, are lovely copies of Enid Blyton with lashings of racism instead of cream, and her attitude regarding them is easily confused with a performance art rendition of the Narcissist's Prayer. And she's done all of this while positioning herself as a role model for children.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

She's weaponising an experience as a victim and she knows exactly what she's doing imo. It's meant to distract from the ridiculous power and privilege she has now

That was exactly what I thought when I read it but was loathe to express the viewpoint lest women I know (including relatives one of whom suffered horrendous domestic violence for 12 years) who are survivors of domestic violence dogpile me.

Ed: Also following ghost's post VVV - my comment is unrelated to the Sun article - I found it odd that she causes a media storm with her transphobism and then brings up being a victim of domestic violence (completely unrelated to trans people) as if that is some sort of explanation.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 12, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

I am not the most informed person on trans issues but to me the glinners and jaykays of the world today are reminiscent of the people who believe gay men are paedophiles. I use the present tense because believe me, they're still around. Except in this case trans women are peeping toms/sex offenders. It's just the same kind of bizarre and hysterical fixation that causes the same mental short circuit when I try to understand where people who believe it are coming from. Like they really believe people are prepared to go through all of the strife and upheaval that accompanies changing gender just to be able to cop a look at some boobs and fannies like something out of the film Porky's
In both cases I think the solution is the same.

A lot of pedophiles existed in proximity to gay men in the past, and a lot of pro-pedo organizations like PIE and NAMBLA attempted to fit themselves in the gay lib narrative, because in the past both pedophiles and gay men had to keep a secret of a sexual nature. Pedophiles (especially powerful ones like in parliament) could say "if you tell anyone about me, I'll out you and your career and family will be ruined."

The solution to that is to keep moving towards a world where the response to that is "they know, my boss came to my wedding" and I think there's a similar case for trans acceptance and openness giving trans people more space and safety to actually call out sex offenders without fear for themselves.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

sorry but what does any of this have to do with the sun splashing an interview with her abuser on the front page to eek out some sales. like are we seriously edging up to critical support for the sun because it traumatised someone we don't like. wth. the issue is what the tabloid press have deemed fair game here, not whether jrk is a bad person so maybe deserves it.

hopefully you were consistent and dismissed their blood and soil coverage of shamima begum because begum has done war crimes and poo poo so therefore we don't have to lend her any empathy or support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I guess the key distinction is that she does have experience of abuse that was enabled by society's sexism, but she doesn't have experience of abuse that was enabled by society's acceptance of transgender people. She does have a valid perspective on the former, but any extrapolation to the latter is just a product of her own prejudice. It's kind of understandable given the kind of rhetoric about trans people about and how it's specifically targeted at people with her experience, but the two things still don't have anything to do with the other. I think it's possible she doesn't realise what she's doing (weaponising her experience and status to target trans people), but even if she's not doing it on purpose she still has responsibility to not use her significant platform and influence to spread hatred.

e:this is not a response to gh0stpinballa who posted while I was writing this. for the record the sun are still shits and they did a bad thing and jk rowling does not deserve that specific kind of lovely treatment for having bad opinions in an unrelated field