Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

Oh poo poo, was this the PM that got shot coming home from the theater, or something?

Yep! About two-three blocks from where I work and now there’s a nice lunch place there.

I’m curious as to who may have done it but I still think information will be withheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Olof Palme, yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Comstar posted:

Swedish Police say they have the murder weapon of who killed the Swedish PM. Presumably they know who did it and will announce it tomorrow.

I'm surprised they didn't ask John Ajvide Lindqvist.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
And it’s Skandiamannen, who has been dead for two decades.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

teen witch posted:

And it’s Skandiamannen, who has been dead for two decades.

Throw him in a cell and leave him to rot!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

I found a neat looking true crime book last night: Blood Libel in Late Imperial Russia: The Ritual Murder Trial of Mendel Beilis

I'd never heard of this - the book or the crime - and figured this kind of freakiness would be at home in here.

Thought this sounded familiar and it turns out that it is the basis for The Fixer by Bernard Malamud, which I read in high school. The book is a fictionalized take on this case.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://avnewscrew.com/f/person-found-hanging-from-a-tree-at-poncitlan-square

http://theavtimes.com/2020/06/11/suspected-suicide-body-found-hanging-from-tree-in-poncitlan-square-palmdale-issues-statement/

quote:

PALMDALE – The body of a man in his 20s was found hanging from a tree Wednesday near Palmdale City Hall, authorities said.
The body was found around 4 a.m. Wednesday, June 10, with a rope around the man’s neck, hanging from a tree in Poncitlan Square, according to Lt. Brandon Dean of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau.

All indicators point to a suicide, Dean said, but investigators are waiting for full autopsy results and information from the man’s next of kin regarding past issues with mental illness.

Palmdale City officials released a statement Thursday, extending “sincere condolences and sympathies to the family and friends of the individual who tragically passed away in Palmdale… Our thoughts and prayers are with them.”

“Sadly, it is not the first such incident since the COVID-19 pandemic began,” city officials said in the statement.

“Many people are suffering extreme mental anguish and the city wants everyone to know that help is available,” said City Manager JJ Murphy. “There are local resources such as Mental Health America of Los Angeles, AV Vet Center, and the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.”

For the past few months, the City of Palmdale has partnered with local mental health experts to host a virtual Mental Health Town Hall every other Monday. It helps residents gain valuable tools to cope with mental health concerns and lean on the peer support of those with knowledge and experience in the field.

The next session will take place Monday, June 15, at 10 a.m. To participate, send an email to info@cityofpalmale.org and note “Mental Health Town Hall” in the subject line. City staff will then provide you with the meeting information and access code.

The County of Los Angeles also has mental health resources available on their website at https://dmh.lacounty.gov/

Those needing to talk to someone immediately regarding anxiety or depression should call the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health 24-hour hotline at 800-854-7711, or text LA to 741741.

“The city remains committed to addressing mental health issues during these difficult times,” Murphy added. “We are in this together.”

Chilling correlation:

https://abc7.com/education/palmdale-school-noose-photo-community-members-divided/5300349/

https://abc7.com/education/photo-shows-palmdale-teachers-smile-while-holding-noose/5293760/

quote:

PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A town hall meeting was held Tuesday regarding a controversial photo showing teachers at a Palmdale school holding a noose, smiling. Community members were divided in their opinions.

"What's a hangman's noose? What it is for and how are you going to explain that to a 9-year-old kid that back in the day that was used to hang black people and Hispanics?" asked Arturo Flores, a parent.

The photo in question showed four Summerwind Elementary School teachers holding a noose and smiling for the camera. Tuesday's town hall meeting included school officials, members of the community and parents.

The district said the photo was taken and distributed May 1 by the principal , Linda Brandts. The district is trying to reassure the community that they are investigating the incident and trying to figure out what was behind the act.

The district's special counsel put forth theories they're looking into.

"Just an expression of 'hang in there' if you will, we're getting close to the end, til summer," the special counsel said. This theory drew jeers from the crowd.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

They also posted this photo of the tragic scene

NSFW, NMS

Suicide is a tragedy. At this time, more than ever, we need to support mental health.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Jun 14, 2020

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!
Excellent dead people photo, thanks a bunch

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Genuine question and asking from a place of wanting to inform myself, but in the replies to that twitter thread there is a comment saying that it's a lynching because "who heard of a black man hanging himself?". Is this a genuine cultural trope that would make the case so unlikely to be suicide?

I'm asking because I had a friend who committed suicide in a basically identical manner, including using a public space, so it doesn't seem that wild to me at first glance but we are neither black nor American so I assume I'm missing a deeper cultural context. I'm aware of the history of lynchings, but is the idea of an black man choosing to using that method so far out there that it's not worth considering because of that history?

Considering the high tensions at the moment I'll be 0% surprised when it turns out to be an off duty cop or something, but wanted to educate myself and can't find specific stats in Google beyond firearms being the main used method in the same way as for other races in the US.

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jun 12, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

America does indeed have a history of people hanging black men and then claiming they just committed suicide. Going by statistics if a black man is found dead by "suicide" away from his home it is far far more likely that he was murdered and posed.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Terrible Opinions posted:

America does indeed have a history of people hanging black men and then claiming they just committed suicide. Going by statistics if a black man is found dead by "suicide" away from his home it is far far more likely that he was murdered and posed.

Thanks, appreciate the info.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CHP ruled a different roadside hanging a suicide in January, as well.

The Sacramento hanging victim was dating a woman who was killed earlier. Sadly, and not less horrifying, that it may have been a murder/suicide.

The community skepticism, prior incidents of very public racist behavior, and swiftness of the announcement lead me to be skeptical as well.

An outside investigating body should've been immediately contacted by the police as a good faith measure. Not taking the climate into account isn't just tone deaf at this point. It's suspect.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Jun 12, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

darkwasthenight posted:

Genuine question and asking from a place of wanting to inform myself, but in the replies to that twitter thread there is a comment saying that it's a lynching because "who heard of a black man hanging himself?". Is this a genuine cultural trope that would make the case so unlikely to be suicide?

I'm asking because I had a friend who committed suicide in a basically identical manner, including using a public space, so it doesn't seem that wild to me at first glance but we are neither black nor American so I assume I'm missing a deeper cultural context. I'm aware of the history of lynchings, but is the idea of an black man choosing to using that method so far out there that it's not worth considering because of that history?

Considering the high tensions at the moment I'll be 0% surprised when it turns out to be an off duty cop or something, but wanted to educate myself and can't find specific stats in Google beyond firearms being the main used method in the same way as for other races in the US.

it's mostly the current zeitgeist of people protesting extrajudicial murders of african americans, partcularly men, combined with the general hush of a media not talkig about or publicizing suicides for very good reasons. something like eight thousand americans hang themselves every year. like the reason you don't hear of black men hanging themselves is the same reason you don't hear of anyone hanging themselves outside of celebrities or other notorious cases, we don't really want to go around publicizing the number of suicides so as not to encourage other people who are on the brink of self-termination

a black man hanging from a tree in a public place is an extraordinarily powerful image due to america's past history of public vigilante executions. it is the image that is going to immediately pop to mind, over the more quiet and tragic but likely scenario that someone hung themselves in public (and if you're going to do that, a tree is your most likely option)

something similar happened in atlanta in 2016, a young black man hung himself in the big public park. all evidence pointed towards suicide but because of the historical resonance of lynching, and the subsequent lack of detail which could be provided and rightly earned distrust of police, this provides a silent space in which people draw what seems to be the reasonable conclusion that there was a lynching and the police are covering it up. but at the nexus of social media rumor, powerful symbols of oppression and violence, and the impossibility of proving a negative, the lynching narrative will be popularly spread

initial reporting:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/piedmont-park-hanging-what-know/G2Zl9SPO57zcLUZnfkiWrN/

later reporting when more details were released to the public:

https://atlantadailyworld.com/2016/07/14/facts-emerge-about-black-man-found-hanging-in-piedmont-park/

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Jun 12, 2020

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Here's one about a face you may or may not remember: Leona Helmsley.

She was once America's richest woman. Interestingly, she did come from nothing: but even as a youth, she was described as difficult. Leona made her way to the top by finding opportunities, no matter how unscrupulous, even going so far as breaking up a billionaire's marriage to snatch him.

However, her reputation is best known by former employees. If you did so much as spill a bit of tea on a saucer, you were out the door with her usual 'tact'. Leona didn't like paying people or her taxes either, and even evicted her son's widow and small child after he died. She was eventually dinged on fraud charges with her fate sealed when a witness recalled her saying "we don't pay taxes, only the little people pay taxes".

After being released, she was left pretty isolated because of how everyone she liked died and everyone else hated her. She left a $12 million inheritance to her dog.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not trying to say that people don't hang themselves to commit suicide, but they usually don't do so in a public place far from their homes. In particular when they are the second or third person who pissed off a particular police department killing themselves in the same way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, that’s got some major “shot himself in the back of the head twice” energy

I mean sure, it’s not physically impossible that it’s a legit suicide that just *looks* like a lynching but c’mon, this is America

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Continuity RCP posted:

Excellent dead people photo, thanks a bunch

Sorry, I shouldn't drink and post.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, that’s got some major “shot himself in the back of the head twice” energy

I mean sure, it’s not physically impossible that it’s a legit suicide that just *looks* like a lynching but c’mon, this is America

is there any way that a person of color can hang themselves in public that won't look like a lynching? that's part of the power of the image of lynching and how deeply it has wounded the american psyche

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah there really isn't because people tend to hang themselves in private not in a place where people can stop or see them. Also quite frankly more black guys are killed by police or non-police racists every year than hang themselves.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah there really isn't because people tend to hang themselves in private not in a place where people can stop or see them.

i found this survey of hanging suicides in switzerland which found that of the dataset, 1/3 hung themselves outside of the home, and of those locations a public place was the most common location at 8% of total deaths

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6750587/

in 2017 there were approximately three thousand suicides of african americans. "suffocation" is around 1/4 of the fatal cases across all americans. this is a really ghoulish subject so i'm not going to try very hard to make a statistically valid argument here, this is just napkin math. rounding that down by half, or 1/8th, of suicides to account for non-hanging methods of suffocation would be 375 people, and if 8% of them hung themselves in public then you would end up at around 35 african americans per year hanging themselves in a public place. not common but not unheard of

again, this is really tragic stuff and i don't want it to seem like i'm trying to assert that this guy wasn't murdered. i'm not trying to dismiss or deny the legacy of lynching or other forms of extrajudicial murder in america. i'm only pointing at a gap in our perception caused by the fact that suicides are (rightfully) not widely reported on, and how this interacts with the highly valid natural suspicion of official recountings as to what happens when a black american is found mysteriously dead

vvv yes, entirely. this suspicion of the police and investigators is backed by tremendous precedent. i'm really only saying that people hanging themselves in public is not as uncommon as one would think, but it's the kind of thing that gets quietly shuffled out of the news

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Jun 12, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What I find unnerving is how much my faith in our law enforcement had eroded that I can't trust them to be telling the truth about a horrible death.

It's all too common in this thread for police to have been ambivalent or culpable in people's deaths.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Jun 12, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

luxury handset posted:

again, this is really tragic stuff and i don't want it to seem like i'm trying to assert that this guy wasn't murdered. i'm not trying to dismiss or deny the legacy of lynching or other forms of extrajudicial murder in america. i'm only pointing at a gap in our perception caused by the fact that suicides are (rightfully) not widely reported on, and how this interacts with the highly valid natural suspicion of official recountings as to what happens when a black american is found mysteriously dead
I can see where you're coming from but deliberate murder of black people by police specifically in imitation of lynching is so systemic that I think it's just as irresponsible to believe any suicide like that. Same way it is to believe a native person died of "exposure" in Canada instead of deliberate murder by the cops.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

luxury handset posted:

is there any way that a person of color can hang themselves in public that won't look like a lynching? that's part of the power of the image of lynching and how deeply it has wounded the american psyche

I mean if the victim put out a video the day before saying “hey I’m going to hang myself in the town square” then sure, but lynchings and police murders of PoC are such a part of the fabric of this country that when people hear hoofbeats they’re gonna think horses, not zebras.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I can see where you're coming from but deliberate murder of black people by police specifically in imitation of lynching is so systemic that I think it's just as irresponsible to believe any suicide like that. Same way it is to believe a native person died of "exposure" in Canada instead of deliberate murder by the cops.
At the very least, it's deeply troubling when the only investigation done is by the people who would have done the crime if there was one. Suicide isn't impossible, but I would feel a lot more comfortable with a comprehensive investigation by an out-of-town organization.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

eh yeah, it's a tough call.

My father is a black man hung himself in the parking structure of a hospital. He had PTSD from jail and general childhood trauma and went to seek mental help but they turned him away.

Hanging yourself in a "public" area isn't unheard of but yeah

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Thank you all for the effort posts and Koalas March thank you for telling your story. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

I was worried I would come across as devil's advocating by asking the question, but after reading those answers can accept that my perspective is probably just a bit skewed from knowing someone who chose that fairly unusual method.

Obviously there's going to be no 'good' outcome of the case either way but I hope it turns out to be a tragic story rather than another case of brutality.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
I mean, we do live in a world where the KKK is attacking protesters, and where multiple Ferguson BLM activists have been found shot-to-death in burned out cars, the latter of which local police are seemingly uninterested in solving. I absolutely don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that one or the other is involved.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm sorry that happened to him and to you, Koalas March.

Basically I think it's dangerously naive to act like this couldn't possibly have been a lynching, and it's disrespectful of the mental health barriers people, especially African Americans, face to act like it couldn't possibly be a suicide, since it's not a physically impossible set up like some things have been. Either way I don't trust police investigations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/DavidOvalle305/status/1271915835280494592?s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Three black men found hanging in trees across the nation and quickly ruled suicides.

Unreal.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I think the assumption that suffocation means hanging is inherently flawed. There are a ton of other not uncommon options like CO poisoning that can account for a suffocation death than hanging. Additionally a death by hanging might be death via a broken neck and not a suffocation. I know you're just trying to play devil's advocate here but at this point in time it's hearing hoofbeats and looking for zebras. Or I guess in this case hearing oinks and looking for feral hogs.

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Jun 15, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
America is currently having severe civil unrest with severely racial overtones.

These men were hung in trees with ropes.

A modest amount of thought from anyone in leadership at the police would've prevented the correlations people are drawing now.

Who is America going to trust is telling the truth? They should've involved other agencies as at least a performative measure of goodwill.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Wasabi the J posted:

America is currently having severe civil unrest with severely racial overtones.

These men were hung in trees with ropes.

A modest amount of thought from anyone in leadership at the police would've prevented the correlations people are drawing now.

Who is America going to trust is telling the truth? They should've involved other agencies as at least a performative measure of goodwill.

yeah but if they do that, it's no longer a dogwhistle to other racist "vigilantes" who want to do lynchings

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Four now

https://twitter.com/brownblaze/status/1272655050570035200?s=20

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
That was a Latino man, and he had been struggling with suicidal depression for years.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StillFullyTerrible posted:

That was a Latino man, and he had been struggling with suicidal depression for years.

Yeah, just learned about that.

Also Feds to review cases into hanging deaths of 2 black men

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

A small town gun owner succumbs to ANTIFA panic, leading to a family of campers being chased and terrorized

quote:

The family also told deputies they were followed as they drove northbound out of Forks, up to a logging road where they intended to camp. People in at least two of the cars had “what appeared to be semi-automatic rifles,” they said. They tried to set up camp, but when they heard gunshots and power saws in the distance, they packed up to leave, only to discover the logging road had been blocked by the felled trees.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Has the execution of George Stinney been talked about it in this thread? He was the youngest person to ever be executed in the US. I don't want to link to anything because its loving destroying to read about. He was given a death sentence at 10 years old. Later on (as in like 70 years later) his conviction was overturned. Reading about it all is devastating. Its another dark mark on the country's soul related to whats going on currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Was he the one who was too small for the electric chair so they made him sit on a bible as a booster seat?