Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Folks at tabletop tactics were playtesters for 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLM6O6Aglc

At about ~6:15 minute in they mention that they weren't involved in playtesting the core rule playtesting, but they were for the codexes.

This implies that all of the codexes are already written?

It at least implies that some codexes are already written.

Which... they'd have to be, to maintain any sensibly brisk release schedule following the corebook going on sale.

(It's also possible a lot of the rules for upcoming codexes have been written but the fluff text hasn't because it's less important to get that playtested and nailed down early.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
^That's a good point about the rules being done but maybe not the fluff or art.

Mjolnerd posted:

you could also interpret this as they were playtesting the existing codexes to verify that they worked with the new core ruleset

I know this opinion is less exciting.

They talk about how there's new points and rules for the armies, and that Chef and Lawrence were specifically looking for broken combinations. And they talk about how they don't expect codex power creep because of this playtester feedback.

So perhaps your interpretation is correct, perhaps not.

Either way, there's only one correct course of action; speculate wildly!

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Having all the Codex's written at the start does seem like it would help with power creep.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SerCypher posted:

Having all the Codex's written at the start does seem like it would help with power creep.

Honestly, agreed, but in general reacting to player feedback on 8th as a whole is going to mean later codexes will probably be better or more interesting than later ones.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

SerCypher posted:

Exactly! It's a really good idea for balancing.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Bee posted:

Honestly, agreed, but in general reacting to player feedback on 8th as a whole is going to mean later codexes will probably be better or more interesting than later ones.

True, but hopefully there will be less of that?

The last time I played there were some real dogshit codexes that were like 5 years behind the other factions.

Edit: Or some factions still had to use their army list from the core rulebook lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought they weren't releasing a shitload of new codex books

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

They'll always release new codexes, they just don't need to trash the existing ones and release bland indexes first.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Booley posted:

They'll always release new codexes, they just don't need to trash the existing ones and release bland indexes first.

Oh yeah I know they'll release new codexes, maybe I'm misreading because I took it as them releasing a deluge of new books with the release of 9th

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

All the codecies are being redone, the current ones will just work in 9th until they get their replacement.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
So, uh.

What are the odds on T'au being fun to play/play against this edition.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

So, uh.

What are the odds on T'au being fun to play/play against this edition.

Higher

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just hope melee becomes a bit more choppy.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Things like unstable might make it so they can't castle up, or having a strat or effect like a burning building. Make them do more than sit an shoot an making a 5" or higher piece block los gives them less firing power.

For objectives they will have to give up shooting to claim.

My personal hopes is only objective secure on troops will let you secure rather than 1 of 50 shield drones sitting to claim it.

Would also make troops mandatory.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How do people like Infiltrators? Thinking of swapping out two of my intercessor squads for some Infiltrators. Maybe they can "screen" things. Whatever that means...

Edit: I'd run them as 5 man squads without the optional extras, as they seem both expensive and poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gunder posted:

How do people like Infiltrators? Thinking of swapping out two of my intercessor squads for some Infiltrators. Maybe they can "screen" things. Whatever that means...

Edit: I'd run them as 5 man squads without the optional extras, as they seem expensive and poo poo.

They're fine. What chapter stuff are you using? I'd probably only swap out one since intercessors are generally baller.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Ultramarines. I'm running two battalions. 6x 5-man Intercessor squads with Bolt Rifles. Was possibly gonna give up 2 of them for some Infiltrators. I already have quite a lot of firepower from all those bolt rifles, plus my two Aggressor squads.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gunder posted:

Ultramarines. I'm running two battalions. 6x 5-man Intercessor squads with Bolt Rifles. Was possibly gonna give up 2 of them for some Infiltrators. I already have quite a lot of firepower from all those bolt rifles, plus my two Aggressor squads.

Oh yeah if you're swapping in two five man squads I reckon go for it. Their guns can give things a shock and special rules are really useful for blocking deep strikes as well as creating early threats up table on objectives. They'll gel nicely with ultras for sure.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

For_Great_Justice posted:

For objectives they will have to give up shooting to claim.

Where'd you see this?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Bee posted:

Where'd you see this?

It was in the Community Article about Missions. Actions for Missions replace shooting and/or charging. But that's for things like draining power from one of the four pillars for bonus VP, not just standing on one.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

jng2058 posted:

It was in the Community Article about Missions. Actions for Missions replace shooting and/or charging. But that's for things like draining power from one of the four pillars for bonus VP, not just standing on one.

Oh, huh! I actually really like that. Though seeing how they differ from faction to faction, I have to wonder. Are these secondary objectives basically replacing the mission card system, or will these just be used for regular, non-card missions? I like the sound of secondary objectives a lot, but after they seriously improved mission cards in Chapter Approved 2019 it'd be a shame to toss them entirely.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The Bee posted:

Oh, huh! I actually really like that. Though seeing how they differ from faction to faction, I have to wonder. Are these secondary objectives basically replacing the mission card system, or will these just be used for regular, non-card missions? I like the sound of secondary objectives a lot, but after they seriously improved mission cards in Chapter Approved 2019 it'd be a shame to toss them entirely.

As I understand it there will be three categories:

Primary - The way you get VP as described in the mission itself, and worth the most VP.

Secondary - You choose these from certain categories, no more than one per category, and you have the option to choose a mission specific Secondary as one of your choices if you want. Worth less VP.

Tertiary - First Strike, Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker, also worth less VP.

I haven't heard anything to indicate the cards are still a thing, but who knows? They haven't released all the information yet, just dribs and drabs. :shrug:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gunder posted:

Edit: I'd run them as 5 man squads without the optional extras, as they seem both expensive and poo poo.

i havent used them yet but i'll let you know if i get around to using my blood angels list. a battalion of melee scouts and a battalion of infiltrators thrown at the enemy turn 1 with +1 to wound seems pretty sick

and if you don't want to do that the 12' screen is really nice, just means its a lot harder for people to deep strike at you if thats their deal, a 9 inch charge is one thing, 12 is very ambitious.
not sure if thats worth the extra points though if you're not planning to use concealed positions, depends on your opponent.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/12/taking-flightgw-homepage-post-1

It's time to feel the need for speed with today's 9th ed rules update.

There's a new keyword, aircraft, that comes with an number of new rules and highlights. Some of which are:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Looks like they're differentiating actual aircraft from flying monsters and infantry, which is pretty nice. Never made sense that they were in many ways identical.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Does each different type of model have a unique engagement range or do all aircraft have the same engagement range?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Wonder how flying transports will be impacted if coming in from strategic reserves. Will they act like a flying drop pod, or will units be able to disembark and move normally? Will units in reserve be able to embark inside after deployment?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Does each different type of model have a unique engagement range or do all aircraft have the same engagement range?

As I understand it, Engagement Range means "within 1" of an enemy model".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

jng2058 posted:

There's certainly nothing to suggest it would be any different yet.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I really love painting these guys:

They look so cool, and thankfully, they're now pretty great on the table too.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

So if this list is comprehensive, none of the new Ad Mech planes are aircraft. Which is... odd.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/12/warhammer-40000-preview-tomorrowgw-homepage-post-4/

So they included a teaser video for the box reveal tomorrow in the usual "How to watch article" and oh boy some of that stuff looks good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

jng2058 posted:

Ah ok, I never really played against much melee armies so I didn't know that

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gunder posted:

I really love painting these guys:

They look so cool, and thankfully, they're now pretty great on the table too.

Nice paint job, I do love the primaris chaplain model, it was going to be my Grey Knight Chaplain until I managed to snag the limited edition store opening one cheap on ebay

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/12/warhammer-40000-preview-tomorrowgw-homepage-post-4/

So they included a teaser video for the box reveal tomorrow in the usual "How to watch article" and oh boy some of that stuff looks good.

I wonder if there will be a Ravenwing version of those bikes.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Kitchner posted:

Nice paint job

Apart from the metallics it's all one thick coat of contrast, straight from the pot.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

So if this list is comprehensive, none of the new Ad Mech planes are aircraft. Which is... odd.

Aren't they more like ornithhopters? So they can hover?

malk83
Sep 3, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

I asked about that on Facebook, these are the units gaining the keyword that don't already have it in their codex - apparently they're ignoring the errata last year that added it to those units.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

a witch posted:

I wonder if there will be a Ravenwing version of those bikes.

Shouldn't be too hard to make I think, especially if you take stuff from the previous Ravenwing kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

SerCypher posted:

Aren't they more like ornithhopters? So they can hover?

Most regular 40k aircraft can hover too, though, it’s built into their rules. They can be charged by ground units when they do it. Killed a Valkyrie with an intercessor sergeant’s power fist that way once

As someone pointed out, though, new Admech fliers only didn’t make this list because the Aircraft keyword is already on their datasheet.