Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

jesus, is that a 914 Ute!? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nope, I've got nothing in transit at the moment. If that was a boat that runs the Japan route (and I've got my doubts it does) my stuff would have been off it already as the poo poo caught fire after it was loaded up with vehicles to leave Jacksonville.

Suck though!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This one is also interesting, giant land train that's still in Alaska and can be seen on Google Maps

The Incredible Story of the US Army's Earth-Shaking, Off-Road Land Trains

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33645/the-incredible-story-of-the-us-armys-earth-shaking-off-road-land-trains?utm_source=pocket-newtab

[e] I knew those tires looked familiar in the first pic, they were used for Bigfoot

What a mad genius. That engineering is bonkers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

snugglz posted:

jesus, is that a 914 Ute!? :allears:

Indeed and that's exactly what gave me pause!

https://twitter.com/GoodwoodRRC/status/1269709461087612928?s=19

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

very amused the URL on the bumper sticker is 1) legit, and 2) the site's logo really takes the piss

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Gullwing Starion. That is all.

https://twitter.com/pkitvhuatj2tedl/status/1270351955957673986

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Promotional consideration provided by...?

Also, for those wondering like me, Gorilla: Metropolitan Police Squad 8 seems like it was basically The A-Team, but Japanese police who break the rules instead of American soldiers who break the rules.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Memento posted:

Promotional consideration provided by...?

Also, for those wondering like me, Gorilla: Metropolitan Police Squad 8 seems like it was basically The A-Team, but Japanese police who break the rules instead of American soldiers who break the rules.

Seibu Keisatsu is basically the same show but made by Nissan. The bubble era was a wild time for everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MjjqywZj9g

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Gonna make an entire body out of resin fibregrass*

*not a typo

https://twitter.com/BcompLtd/status/1270709005631946753?s=19

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/1270712074260209666?s=19

http://www.bcomp.ch/solutions/motorsports-bodywork/

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 10, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What do those do?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is rad as gently caress. Material cost may be lower, but what about tooling :v:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It would be the same id think? It’s just resin with a different strand. Lay it up exactly the same etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

It would be the same id think? It’s just resin with a different strand. Lay it up exactly the same etc.

quote:

The thermoset production can be made using vacuum infusion, autoclave or RTM in the same molds as for carbon parts

Nice. I was curious with the additional reenforcement material

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

RillAkBea posted:

Seibu Keisatsu is basically the same show but made by Nissan. The bubble era was a wild time for everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MjjqywZj9g

What's better: a gullwing Starion, or a gullwing ZX (plus a "TURBO" RB-30)?

Now is a good time to remind that plywood is a "composite" material, as would be cardboard impregnated with polyester resin (so I have composite door panels in my AE86 :D )

edit: that not to say that the natural fiber stuff isn't neat!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My new splitter is "resin-impregnated birch honeycomb". I have no idea what the hell it actually is, but it is far stiffer and lighter than the 15/32" birch that I replaced. Kinda neat, and relatively cheap. I'll take a pic of inside when I inevitably break it

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s some sort of fancy wooden composite??? Wow I’ve never seen that before

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neat!
I assume it's more or less birch plywood, except just the outer skins with a honeycomb core rather than more plies and filler, and the resin soaked into all the layers, rather than just gluing them together.
So nothing like plywood, really. :P

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Gonna make an entire body out of resin fibregrass*

Many years ago Heinz-Harald Frentzen set up a race team for the 24 hours of Nürburgring, with one of the first hybrid race cars. It also featured some parts beeing made out of recycling material, but IIRC it was mostly recycled plastic mixed with resin and some carbon (similar to what BMW did with the first i-series). But I seem to remember it also used some kind of organic fibre.

Two years ago IIRC (Combat Theory I assume knows it perfectly) one or two teams also tested rear wings made (partly) out of organic material, one IIRC was on a GT4 M4. It's all pretty cool stuff imo.

Also: can't wait for a remake of the Porsche-Rennsau out of leftovers.

tuo fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 11, 2020

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
What you guys keep aiming towards and missing is the that new material is essentially mdf with a different composite material holding it together. Plywood is made from timber peeled off trees always layered in oposite directions in an odd number to add strength. Mdf isn't all that strong but has benefits because it is easily worked despite the glue being toxic. I'm not sure what the mesh is made from but the outlayers look like resin impregnated timber fibres in a similar fashion to something like osb but the heat treatment part combined with the resin allows it to conform to whatever shape the race teams need for their parts.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Is time for Duroplast to make the comeback, ja?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

redgubbinz posted:

Trabants are awesome :colbert:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUFKhs_yho

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

redgubbinz posted:

ein duroplaste Rennsau?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Holy crap, it worked.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I got a new T-shirt from Blipshift in today:

I felt it was appropriate.
Got the matching sticker, and they included 5 HP (the blue/red one):

And a postcard that I can identify with as well:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That is an excellent shirt. I have their Subaru "the world is flat" shirt and it's been the start of several great conversations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Fifty Three posted:

That is an excellent shirt. I have their Subaru "the world is flat" shirt and it's been the start of several great conversations.

Oh man. I had that sticker on my guitar case, but I ran into too many weirdos at gigs who thought I was a flat earther, so I cut off the words and left the piston graphic.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I need to check blipshift more often, I've missed out on so many awesome designs.

I did get the CA favorite T-rex on a ZRX shirt a while back.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I need to check blipshift more often, I've missed out on so many awesome designs.

I did get the CA favorite T-rex on a ZRX shirt a while back.

You can sign up for a daily email, and never miss a design!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

"No comrade, the road is over that way."

The owner of the car dealership where I used to work was cleaning out his office once, and in the corridor outside he had piled up old promotional material that he had accumulated over the years. He saw me fawning over this VAZ 2108 (aka Lada Samara) calendar and said I could have it. Claims it was gifted to him from some visiting Lada dignitary shortly before the Soviet Union collapsed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
If only it was a 1992 calendar, you could hang it up and use it for this year

Having said that, I guess there's a pretty good reason an Official Soviet Lada Samara calendar for 1992 doesn't exist...

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Oh man. I had that sticker on my guitar case, but I ran into too many weirdos at gigs who thought I was a flat earther, so I cut off the words and left the piston graphic.
Mine's written in Japanese and in the Subaru WRC colors, so that skews the responses a bit. :v:

I did own a blue/white English one years ago and a guy at a theme park pointed and smiled and said "Porsche or BMW?" He was pleasantly surprised to learn there was another option.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bmw has pancake motors?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Their bikes, mostly.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Elmnt80 posted:

Bmw has pancake motors?

In their motorcycles.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Fifty Three posted:

Mine's written in Japanese and in the Subaru WRC colors, so that skews the responses a bit. :v:

I did own a blue/white English one years ago and a guy at a theme park pointed and smiled and said "Porsche or BMW?" He was pleasantly surprised to learn there was another option.

I still get people who recognize the image, which is cool. I have a Porsche Museum keychain, too, so it's a fun bit of geeking out when someone knows the reference.

I also get a lot of comments on my Nicky Hayden keychain and hoodie :unsmith:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I also get a lot of comments on my Nicky Hayden keychain and hoodie :unsmith:

I'm always afraid that someone will just assume "Haha, the sex number" if I wear anything related to him

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://dyler.com/posts/463/one-of-a-kind-mercedes-benz-slc-500-that-was-banned-from-le-mans

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah that thing is cool as gently caress...

The only fault with it is the tiny doors. I assume that was done for a reason.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This looks like what happens when you give Germans a shitload of cocaine.