Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, Iok's the protagonist of Gundam Persona, eh?

I can see no way this will go horribly wrong.

(I'd also figure that IBO would have a surplus of Devils, considering how every Gundam Frame is from the Goetia).

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

I legit want that Kira Jesus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

has it ever been said what amuro did during ZZ

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

has it ever been said what amuro did during ZZ

He was sent to space to battle Neo-Zeon forces there according to Hayato. He does not appear onscreen though.

If you take Gundam Evolve as canon he was leading a squad of Zeta Gundams around taking down Neo-Zeon's side poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wanna know where Char was and what he was doing. That was apparently gonna be in the anime but instead he just go from Hero Char in Zeta to KILL EVERYONE Char in CCA.

One explanation, supported by some PS1 Gundam game, is that he saw Kamille getting his brain fried and that drove him over the edge. That makes sense - Kamille was his hope for the future and the poor kid got turned into a vegetable. Only...I hear he fully recovers in ZZ and goes on to live a happy life.

So I guess Char missed that part.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NikkolasKing posted:

I wanna know where Char was and what he was doing.
And in addition, Char's Mobile Suit should have a time machine.

quote:

That was apparently gonna be in the anime but instead he just go from Hero Char in Zeta to KILL EVERYONE Char in CCA.

One explanation, supported by some PS1 Gundam game, is that he saw Kamille getting his brain fried and that drove him over the edge. That makes sense - Kamille was his hope for the future and the poor kid got turned into a vegetable. Only...I hear he fully recovers in ZZ and goes on to live a happy life.

I believe Kamille's eventual recovery was introduced into the overall milieu here later on, and possibly not introduced until they did the Zeta movie/OAV/whatever they were.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

And in addition, Char's Mobile Suit should have a time machine.
I believe Kamille's eventual recovery was introduced into the overall milieu here later on, and possibly not introduced until they did the Zeta movie/OAV/whatever they were.

Kamille in ZZ is shown to have recovered somewhat but he is still clearly very traumatized by what happened even in his healthier moments. One of the things the Gundam Team does is specifically try to avoid putting him in a position where he will end up fighting because they know that will make him worse.

Nothing really ever shows him 'fully recovered' except games really.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even though kamille survived, scirocco still killed char's aspirations for him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I wanna know where Char was and what he was doing. That was apparently gonna be in the anime but instead he just go from Hero Char in Zeta to KILL EVERYONE Char in CCA.

Kamille isn't fully recovered in ZZ. He's just on his way. And more than that, Kamille was Char's big hope for the future, a Newtype's Newtype. He's supposed to Solve The Federation's Problems.

That didn't happen. And since Kamille was the one who did the most to keep Char back from more extreme measures... well. Slow routes were never the Red Comet's style.

(As for what he was doing, he's a major antagonist in the later arcs of The Return of Johnny Ridden, but that's not been getting new English translations for a while.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Char getting fed up with the Federation's total lack of progress post-Zeta and backsliding straight back into extremist eco-terrorism makes perfect sense given that he's a sociopath groomed to believe he's the universe's gift to humanity, and not exactly someone with a high tolerance for failure.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Harry Ord in his pajamas as The Star.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NikkolasKing posted:

While the initial plan was to use Char in ZZ (or Zeta Part II as it was known during that part of production), there was never a plan where Char would be in both Zeta Part II and Char's Counterattack and it was only ever the second part of Zeta or Char's Counterattack. If Char had been in Char's Counterattack, then he'd have been trying for similar goals, Judau would have defeated him and that would be it for Char. The Zeta Part II plan that is detailed in the ZZ Daizenshuu book has Char targetting the heads of the Federation personally, then taking over Neo Zeon after assassinating Haman and Judau and him clashing over their view of Newtypes with the end featuring the last of humanity moving off Earth while Judau goes to Mars (and not Jupiter). It invalidates a lot of Char's greivances in Char's Counterattack, even if you want to posit that he lives past that finale, given that the outline doesn't detail Char's status after the story.

The initial ZZ plan is laid out here by the way. Someone (I can't recall who off hand) translated it in one of the older Gundam threads years ago, after I asked about it. It wasn't even written by Tomino either, and it was planned by the head writer of ZZ, Akinori Endo.

quote:

I want to make the reason why Char doesn't kill Haman Karn during this be because, while people's eyes were on space, he was leading a unit to assassinate the top leaders of the Earth Federation government.

Final Chapter

After Char observed the Earth Federation government approving the emigration of people to space, he joined Haman Karn’s military.
Then, for a period of time, he challenges the Argama in battle as a pilot, serves the position of a sort of practice instructor for Judau and, learning of Judau’s growth, returns to Haman Karn.
Mineva is happy at Char’s return.

However, when Haman Karn’s Earth offensive begins, he shoots Haman. Then, Bright tacitly rescues Mineva and destroys Axis.

In the moment of the final battle, Judau’s will is emitted to the entire world. "All of you, adapt! Humanity will never be liberated by only forcing your own principles onto each other! Char’s way of doing things is a makeshift method that’s only what he approves of!"
Char truly thinks that.

"It’d be fine if you only express all of who you are and identify that with others! Then, if we could overlap others’ wills with our own, we would have the reconciliation of humanity. People have that ability. If we could do that, people would become one and we could master the universe. We need to remember that that’s why space is endlessly wide!"

Enemies, friends, and onlookers on Earth all heard that appeal. That's why humanity decides to leave for space. That was heard even by Kamille, who was wandering on a journey.

"I was searching only for Four. All I needed to do was understand that Four is here, even now."
This is Kamille’s awakening.

Mineva asked Judau, "When I felt warmth even while living in the asteroid belt, was it because humanity can become one with space?"
Afterwards, Judau said to Roux, "I probably am a Newtype, but they say you're a child prodigy at birth, a genius until you're 10, and a normal human being when you turn 20, right?"
Judau laughed and threw himself into pioneering Mars. "It’s just to learn, it's not about pioneering" With those words...

Mineva descended to Earth.

Someone on /m/ recently posted the pages of the book in question too. Or at least, I think these are them:

Another person then gave a partial transation:

quote:

Source: Kidou Senshi Gundam Daizenshuu (機動戦士ガンダム大全集)
Published 1991/03 by Kodansha (Terebi Magazine)
ISBN-10: 4061784129
ISBN-13: 978-4061784123

Not full translation

"Char Was Supposed To Appear in ZZ"

"The project for Gundam ZZ was started as a direct continuation of Z Gundam, and the story first thought of could be said to be the exact opposite of what was ultimately aired."

"To the left is the initial proposal, and as you can see there are large differences, such as with Emma Sheen who died at the end of Z Gundam had survived and was instead going to die here. But the biggest difference was that Char was going to appear. He was going to switch sides to Haman Karn, and attack the Argama that he was a member of just a while ago. "

"The story in this proposal is a lot darker than what was broadcast"

"Though (Char) is an enemy of the protagonists, in the end he kills Hamaan. But ultimately he cannot come as close to awakening as a newtype as Judau. He is a lonely man who cannot become a newtype."

"The Mineva Zabi appearing in this proposal is very much the real one."

"Many people who watched (Mobile Suit) Gundam and Z Gundam wondered if this little girl would one day influence the world of Gundam someday. An orphan of the Zabi family, though she was a little girl who only existed to be used by Hamaan when she reappeared, something about her gave out a premonition of the ideal newtype. Here, she comes to Earth. It is not an overstatement to say that this is representative of the spiritual fusion of space immigrants and those who stayed on Earth.

"There is not much of a difference in the personality of the Judau in this proposal and the version aired. He is just slightly a bit more mature, due to influence from Emma and Char. The reason is because he was created to be the opposite of Camille."

"(Judau) was created as someone to awaken as a healthy newtype. But that is why in the end he has to leave Earth."

Which seems to be fairly consistent with the first excerpt about the initial plans for ZZ, even if it is actually from a different source. The biggest oddity there being "Char is a lonely man who cannot become a Newtype", given that Char is already one as of the end of 0079 and throughout Zeta itself. It may be referring to the concept of "true" Newtype though, and how Judau awakens as one in the end of the original Zeta Part II plans.

Here's a translated interview I found a while ago with Akinori Endo from Newtype magazine, where he discusses writing for Zeta Gundam and plans for it's sequel by the way.

quote:

I think I will continue writing scenarios for “Zeta Gundam Part 2 (tentative title)” together with Ms Yumiko Suzuki, but we haven’t decided details yet. However, I could finish Part 1 properly by settling things as I would have liked, so I think it is pretty neat end. So, I am hoping to proceed differently from Part 1, as Part 2 is completely new series in my feeling

There's no detail there on what he actually plans for ZZ, but it does show that he wanted to go for a different tone after the finale of Zeta (which he also apparently penned).

Nessus posted:

Kamille gradually recovers throughout ZZ, and while we never find out whether he was completely recovered by the end, the implication is certainly there because he goes from being completely physically incapacitated at the start of ZZ, to being conscious in a wheelchair, to moving around under his own power, to making some faltering sentences that are contextually appropriate and show definite understanding of the situation he is in, to finally running along the beach with Fa in the finale. His mind is certainly there during the later parts of ZZ, and there's one point where he speaks to the entire Gundam team telepathically over a huge distance to get them to aid Puru II, before giving Puru II detailed instructions on how best to act in a specific battle to survive it. Which, together with the fact he's running in the finale, suggests that he is well on the way to recovery, even if he's not there yet.

Kamille's issues in ZZ are treated a bit differently to those in Zeta though, because while the finale of Zeta itself presents Kamille as being physically fine but mentally regressed, in ZZ's first (proper) episode he is physically comatose but appears perfectly fine mentally and is able to communicate with Judua through Newtype senses when they first meet.

Edit: Something else I found interesting in regards to Char and his character in both Zeta/Char's Counterattack after poking around the Japanese Wiki for a while is this:

quote:

The title "Char's Counterattack" was generally announced around 1984 as the title of the sequel novel project for Mobile Suit Gundam. However, the production of " Mobile Suit Z Gundam " was decided the following year , and the project was renamed "Mobile Suit Z Gundam" as a novel version of the program.

Now, I don't know how true it is, since there's no source linked and it may not even be translated properly since I'm just going off the auto-translate using Google (which is far from 100% accurate), but if it is, then it's interesting that Tomino was already planning Char's Counterattack before Zeta even happened. It makes some sense as to why Char in Char's Counterattack seems to be more closely tied to his personality and viewpoints after the finale of 0079 than people would expect having watched Zeta.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 12, 2020

Burns
May 10, 2008

I really dont see why they cant just do a modern ZZ.

As a side, i take it there are no plans to do more of The Origin series in animated format?

Burns fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 12, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'd rather zeta get a remake because while it had great moments the script and what not needs a second pass.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They did do a Zeta remake. They just chose to make it mainly with cut up bits of the original show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They should do a Crossbones TV series, so people will stop asking for a Crossbones TV series, and also so people will realize Crossbones isn't very good so they never should've asked for a Crossbones TV series

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Even if Kamille is fully recovered it's fully in-character for Char to just not check up on him and see if he is recovered because he's a bastard.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should do a crossbone anime because the scuba zaku is cool and I want a kit of it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The only bit of zeta i dont like is the design choice for Titans mobile suits being so zeonic in style and colouring.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Burns posted:

The only bit of zeta i dont like is the design choice for Titans mobile suits being so zeonic in style and colouring.

they're literally using next generation zakus.

EthanSteele posted:

Even if Kamille is fully recovered it's fully in-character for Char to just not check up on him and see if he is recovered because he's a bastard.

tbh leaving kamille alone is probably the one good thing he did post zeta

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

They should do a Crossbones TV series, so people will stop asking for a Crossbones TV series, and also so people will realize Crossbones isn't very good so they never should've asked for a Crossbones TV series

But that means innocent people will suffer.

Instead, anyone asking for a Crossbones TV series should be forced to read Crossbones.

A cruel punishment, but a just one.

(I've gone on at some length about it before, but in summary: Crossbones isn't very good.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I know I've read Crossbone before, but I found it really forgettable and if I didn't see it brought up so often in various places I'd have forgotten it even exists. As is, I'd struggle to tell you anything about it beyond that it does exist and that it has some cool designs. I recall some of the manga's tone, as well as what it wasn't. Which is that it's not anything like F91. It uses some of the same names, but that's about it, and pretty much everything it does re-use from F91 is changed so radically it wouldn't even be recognizable if it didn't have the name from something in F91. Seabook, Zabine, Cecily, the Crossbone Vanguard themselves etc. are all wildly different from what is established in F91. I don't even care that much about F91, but Crossbone bears almost no relation to F91 despite the apparent link and even a superficial viewing of both should make it clear that Crossbone is not what Tomino was intending with F91 when he wrote it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Just give me Gaia Gear dammit. Using the radio drama soundtrack.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
"What are they complaining about now? They still want that stupid pirate gundam? We gave them the AGE-2 Dark Hound, what more could they want?"

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Animate Frozen Teardrop :getin:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burns posted:

I do like the trend both official and fan based of taking Titans designs and altering them to better fit the standard Federation aesthetic

Also reminds me of how Gundam X kinda did something similar with it's Federation equivalent being the one doing the "Monster of The Week" format with it's suits

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just hoping hathaway's flash is good

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Burns posted:

Maybe they gobbled up all the ex-Zeon designers and engineers after the war.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

"What are they complaining about now? They still want that stupid pirate gundam? We gave them the AGE-2 Dark Hound, what more could they want?"

The secret is that Age-2 Dark Hound and Asemu's plot is actually better than Crossbone Gundam.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Randallteal posted:

That's explicitly what happened, Anaheim Electronics absorbed Zeon's three MS companies after the OYW

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Randallteal posted:

Gundam: Paperclip.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gundam: Paperclip.
The cylinder's up / what if it comes down?
Designate target: / Luna, von Braun

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Stairmaster posted:

tbh leaving kamille alone is probably the one good thing he did post zeta

For soap opera-y dramatic purposes, it'd have been a hell of a thing if CCA featured Kamille in the Gyunei Guss role instead.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Nessus posted:

The cylinder's up / what if it comes down?
Designate target: / Luna, von Braun

:golfclap:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

The secret is that Age-2 Dark Hound and Asemu's plot is actually better than Crossbone Gundam.

Asemu's plot is dogshit. Crossbone's is mediocre, but Asemu's is outright terrible. His main goal is to become a better pilot than his dad despite not having any super powers, and he becomes a better pilot inside one scene because he was just getting in his own way by overthinking things all along but it's done in a way where everyone else turns in to a moron just so he can look good, and even worse, in a way that makes it look like he has anti-superpower powers of his own rather than because of any actual skill. Then when he's about to become a dad, he swears he'll be there for his son; right before disappearing in a way that doesn't actually force him to keep his whereabouts hidden, and where his own goal is pretty stupid (i.e. stop everyone from fighting too much, rather than actually solving any of the issues causing the war) and he literally lets the man that made his own childhood poo poo raise his kid instead of him. Then he becomes pretty much entirely irrelevant. So much so that there's a new villain using anti-superpower technology that freezes out pilots with powers, and rather than raising to the occasion in a scenario custom built for him to show his worth, his dad has to do it anyway.

drrockso20 posted:

That's explicitly what happened, Anaheim Electronics absorbed Zeon's three MS companies after the OYW

I think he was suggesting the Federation do it, not AE. Which is originally what happened anyway, and why the Federation's mobile suits all had a Zeonic flavor in Zeta while AE's followed a more traditional Federation aesthetic for the most part. The Titans built all their own machines originally in Zeta, bar the Marasai, which they forced AE to give to them at the barrel of a colony drop. The lore has changed over the years to indicate that AE built the Titans first mass production suit, the Hizack, but it was originally held to be built internally by the Titans. Which honestly makes more sense anyway, given their apparent relationship in the show, where the Titans had to threaten AE in to giving them even token support while stuff built by the Titans all has a Zeon aesthetic anyway.

Maarak posted:

For soap opera-y dramatic purposes, it'd have been a hell of a thing if CCA featured Kamille in the Gyunei Guss role instead.

Kamille would make pretty much no sense whatsoever in Gyunei's role unless you ignored all his character entirely just so that Kamille could with Char. It's a large part of his personality that he hates warmongers and doesn't think anything is worth starting a war over, so he definitely wouldn't support Char throwing multiple asteroids at Earth even under the most generous interpretations of his motives. He also would have no reason to be so gaga over Quess, who he'd be nearly ten years older than at that point, as well as having gained some wisdom in romantic matters even just during the course of Zeta itself. Never mind Gyunei's beef over not being viewed as a real Newtype because he's a cyber Newtype, or his desire to supplant Char.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 12, 2020

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

tsob posted:

Kamille would make pretty much no sense whatsoever in Gyunei's role unless you ignored all his character entirely just so that Kamille could with Char. It's a large part of his personality that he hates warmongers and doesn't think anything is worth starting a war over, so he definitely wouldn't support Char throwing multiple asteroids at Earth even under the most generous interpretations of his motives. He also would have no reason to be so gaga over Quess, who he'd be nearly ten years older than at that point, as well as having gained some wisdom in romantic matters even just during the course of Zeta itself. Never mind Gyunei's beef over not being viewed as a real Newtype because he's a cyber Newtype, or his desire to supplant Char.

I was thinking less of a 1:1 swap and more just the role of a newtype ace under Char's control. With some more time to manipulate Kamille, who knows what Char would have made of him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Maarak posted:

With some more time to manipulate Kamille, who knows what Char would have made of him.

An enemy, because Kamille was never one to stand for Char's bullshit. It doesn't really matter how you rejigger Gyunei's role, it still requires Kamille be someone who is okay with killing millions, if not billions, to achieve something. Which, without Char labotomizing him, he's not going to be. And if Char did labotomize him, you'd end up with Kamille in name only. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having him there in the first place.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Randallteal posted:

My thinking is more along the lines of why would federation extremists run with suits so similar to those of their sworn enemies and people they basically want to enslave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Burns posted:

My thinking is more along the lines of why would federation extremists run with suits so similar to those of their sworn enemies and people they basically want to enslave.

Because they work well and it’s always fun to step on people with their own stuff.