Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Gunder posted:

Apart from the metallics it's all one thick coat of contrast, straight from the pot.

whaaaaaat

Man I just cannot get those to work for me like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gunder posted:

Apart from the metallics it's all one thick coat of contrast, straight from the pot.

:stonk:

Are you a wizard?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

whaaaaaat

Man I just cannot get those to work for me like this.

For small things like the gun casing, you take it slow and try to be careful. For the power armour and the coat, you want to put so much on in one go that it literally runs off the model and onto the base. It avoids pooling issues almost entirely. Also, try not to go over the same area more than once. If you're not happy with something, then just paint that entire section over with Grey Seer or Wraithbone base paint and try again. After getting a feel for it, it becomes really easy and quick. You won't win any competitions, but it's super fast and fun!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Same process with this Guilliman. It's all contrast, apart from the grey rocks and stone on the base, and the metallics. The gold on the suit is just done with a gold sharpie. It's so quick to do!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gunder posted:

Same process with this Guilliman. It's all contrast, apart from the grey rocks and stone on the base, and the metallics. The gold on the suit is just done with a gold sharpie. It's so quick to do!

I'll be honest with the last one I was prepared to believe it was all contrast done well, and you're not a wizard or anything.

Seeing this one though I do actually believe you're a wizard.

I have been using contrast paints a bit more recently but usually it's more for very specific things like the ribbed black carapace on space marines to get the highlight effect in a small area.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Contrast works best when it's used for blending, fine detail or BUCKETS OF CONTRAST.
I stopped applying a reserved and restrained amount and it looks so much better. Forget one thick coat, more like one THICC coat.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Gunder posted:

Was the gold sharpie over the contrast primer? Do you have a link to the sharpie?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Was the gold sharpie over the contrast primer? Do you have a link to the sharpie?

Yes it was. The whole thing was sprayed with Grey Seer. These are the pens I used.

Edit: The gold on the Black Legion corpse on the base was plain old Retributor Armour, so that it would look different to the gold on Guilliman.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 12, 2020

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

malk83 posted:

I asked about that on Facebook, these are the units gaining the keyword that don't already have it in their codex - apparently they're ignoring the errata last year that added it to those units.

You know I didn't even look at the keywords on the sheet for the Archaeopter! Ignore me then :)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Got to play with my Bugs for the first time in a short 500pt game versus Sisters. It... seems like a tough matchup for Sisters. As a Necron player it's my first time using Psychic Powers and uh, they're cool. I got to blow up his Melta squad with those before he could get any shots off. That forced him to focus everything else onto my Tyrant to bring it down before it got into melee, which left all my Termies and Denim Thieves to table him by turn three. Super happy with how effective the Termagants were for their point cost, they're good little bugs.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I'm considering doing a re-paint of all my old eldar. Threw together a Mymeara tester:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Hixson posted:

I'm considering doing a re-paint of all my old eldar. Threw together a Mymeara tester:

That's lovely, what's your procedure for gemstones?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Vlex posted:

That's lovely, what's your procedure for gemstones?

Thanks. I pretty much copied this for the gems:

https://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2016/08/tutorial-how-to-paint-gems.html

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hixson posted:

Owns. Same colour scheme for infantry?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hixson posted:

you should definitely do this thing

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

You should, this is beautiful.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Cool thanks. Luckily I won’t have to repaint any of the aspects. So I only have to paint 20x guardians, 3 wave serpents, a falcon, 3 warwalkers, 2 wraithlords, 10 wraithguard, a wraithknight, a handful of warlocks and a farseer. :shepface:

Hixson fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 13, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Gunder posted:

Dude can we hang out and by hang out I mean can you come teach me to paint, my wife will make you some good chow and my dogs will like you.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Hixson posted:

Owns bones, and I keep trying to get power armour this kind of blue/teal/green hue.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

a witch posted:

I wonder if there will be a Ravenwing version of those bikes.

One or another of the articles showed off the bikes painted up in the various chapter colors, and for the Dark Angels it was done up as Ravenwing so they'll definitely be them in the rules. There may be a Ravenwing primaris upgrade kit that's released alongside the multi-part outriders, but even if not you could always spruce them up with the current Ravenwing accessory sprue or extra bits from black knights. The shoulder pads, helmets, and icons should all fit seamlessly onto the new kits.

Probably safe to assume Gravis armor models will be Deathwing in 9th edition as well, they already set it up with the Dark Angels Primaris article in White Dwarf last year.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I know they probably don't want three wound termies hitting the field, but man is it weird that a unit as iconic as the Terminator isn't getting the Primaris treatment. At this point we have proper Primaris scouts (RIP Reivers), proper Primaris assaults (RIP Reivers even harder), Primaris bikes. Is the only thing more iconic than the Terminator not getting the Primaris treatment so far the Drop Pod?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

The Bee posted:

I know they probably don't want three wound termies hitting the field, but man is it weird that a unit as iconic as the Terminator isn't getting the Primaris treatment. At this point we have proper Primaris scouts (RIP Reivers), proper Primaris assaults (RIP Reivers even harder), Primaris bikes. Is the only thing more iconic than the Terminator not getting the Primaris treatment so far the Drop Pod?

My I-hope-this-is-true-but-have-no-evidence-to-back-it-up theory is that they're planning on a long timeline for the full Primaris rollout, and maybe next edition the big audience-wowing release that makes us all sit up and go "poo poo, that's awesome!" is the Primaris Terminators.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Primaris Terminators would look so loving cool as well

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Aren’t aggressors basically terminators?

What role would primaris terminators fill that primaris aggressors don’t already fill?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

What role would primaris terminators fill that primaris aggressors don’t already fill?

Not looking like eggs.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Probably the “look like terminators” role which I think OP was saying, in that it was weird such an iconic unit isn’t being ported over

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
If the helmet isn't inspired by a bulldog's face, and if it wouldn't look good on the cover of a Space Hulk box, it's not a proper terminator.

(Well, Cataphractii and Tartaros are cool too I guess.)

EDIT: It occurs to me that pretty much the ideal time to launch Primaris Terminators would be as part of the next re-re-re-re-release of Space Hulk, not with a new edition.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
If y'all wanna see some contrast magic, check out the 'Eavy Contrast series on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX8OxSDD4sU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQrABKAtPew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flqW2F_kSvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHOmlETP8k4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQs79jcueAE

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Hey, speaking of terminators, there isn’t any existing source for right-handed terminator power fists, is there?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Deep Striking.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hixson posted:

Cool thanks. Luckily I won’t have to repaint any of the aspects. So I only have to paint 20x guardians, 3 wave serpents, a falcon, 3 warwalkers, 2 wraithlords, 10 wraithguard, a wraithknight, a handful of warlocks and a farseer. :shepface:

:rip:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Stephenls posted:

Hey, speaking of terminators, there isn’t any existing source for right-handed terminator power fists, is there?

A box of Tartaros Terminators will have 5 righthanded power fists.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

The Bee posted:

Grey Knight Paladins are 3 wound terminators for something like 35 points + weapons per model. They are mostly seen in the GK Paladin bomb due to stratagems synergising well with them, but even without stratagems they are OK.

Also I'd argue reivers aren't primaris scouts game wise or lore wise. Game wise they aren't cheap and lightly armoured with camp cloak options able to sit back on an objective, and lore wise they are less about reporting back with enemy movements whiles training new marines, and more about causing fear and terror in the enemy by appearing from no where in scary masks and stabbing everyone.

I honestly don't really see why 8ft tall super soldiers need to wear scary masks to be terrifying, I would have thought a space marine casually walking into a steam of oncoming fire while shooting back with bolt gun is pretty scary but apparently not.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Experiencing mild-to-moderate hype for the 9E Starter Box unveil!

07:45 Central/13:45 Lime-Time

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/12/warhammer-40000-preview-tomorrowgw-homepage-post-4/

:peanut:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Are you going to buy it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Having 2 ups and invulns so they don't get minced by anti meq fire

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

TheBigAristotle posted:

Are you going to buy it

A friend of mine who mostly plays kill team always liked the idea of Necrons but wasn't fussed on their models and didn't like the fact he felt he needed to buy three riptides to play 40k (I tried explaining he didn't but to no avail).

He's pretty interested in potentially splitting the box with someone and the new crusade rules. So I know I'm not planning to buy it but I'm pretty interested in what's in it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The stream has started! Just preamble so far, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Don't we already know the mini content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Primaris Lieutenant (drink)!