Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

People go on about the classics, but they never say which game is the Water Margin or Thirty Six Stratagems of video games.

The first should be obvious, it's Suikoden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the thirty six stratagems is probably archon, maybe daisenryaku

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s the Dark Souls of movies?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

What’s the Dark Souls of movies?

Edge of Tomorrow reminded me a lot of Dark Souls, actually

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
stealth edit: ha ha! reading comprehension

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

exquisite tea posted:

I've seen people bring out the "realism in video games has at last been achieved" argument for at least 25 years and it's never very convincing because the human eye is incredibly discerning when it comes to what feels natural and what doesn't. Some level of abstraction will always be needed and art generation is still by far the most expensive and labor-intensive aspect of game development.
The film industry already got there a long time ago, unless you think you can easily spot the CGI in every film. Given that we've been striving for the exact same goal in video games, using basically the same shared knowledge and technology, why doubt that games would start to get there eventually too? The point is only that art direction used to encompass how the rocks and the trees and the bricks were constructed, what limited assortment of polygons and textures would pass for those things in the eyes of gamers. Now it's easy to just use rock, tree, and brick assets that look as indistinguishable as possible from rocks and trees you might see outside, with realistic light transport algorithms to tie it all together in way that convinces your eyes that what you're seeing could be real. The art direction of video games is able to align more closely with traditional photographic media than ever before. Once raytracing is more widespread that will become even more true as artists will be able to use light and shadow as an artistic tool far more easily than they could in the past.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every movie is like Dark Souls (because they run at 24fps haha)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Sarge_Mt/status/1271258590607785985?s=20

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So we had the Citizen Kane of Video Games, the Schindler's List, did we ever figure out what the Caligula of Video Games was?

You forgot GTAIV, the The Godfather of video games.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

You forgot GTAIV, the The Godfather of video games.

But bizarrely yet obviously the GTAIV of movies will one day be The Godfather: Part IV.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Aren't there companies that are just the guys who make trees in games, and sell their tree assets to everyone, and maybe they get a custom order for a different kind of tree

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Deadly Premonition is the Twin Peaks of video games, imho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Aren't there companies that are just the guys who make trees in games, and sell their tree assets to everyone, and maybe they get a custom order for a different kind of tree

There are small studios in China and Singapore that are contracted to generate assets for big megagames all the time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There's a program call SpeedTree that is in the opening credit for every video game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Deadly Premonition is the Twin Peaks of video games, imho

Not seeing it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deadly Premonition doesn't even have one peak lmao

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Can somebody explain Yandere Simulator to me? I just see a ton of cryptic references to it and it's developer on Twitter

it's a project made by the world's dumbest man who can't code to save his life. there's a toothbrush in the game files that is over 5000 polygons. His entire codebase is if/then statements.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 13, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grapplejack posted:

it's a project made by the world's dumbest man who can't code to save his life. there's a toothbrush in the game files that is over 5000 polygons. His entire codebase is if/then statements.

So it's like the Zybourne Clock but all the laughably bad content is in the programming instead of the art and writing?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

What was the prettiest game of this gen

i liked botw

anodyne 2

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jay Rust posted:

The spiderverse sounds like hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1DAfEBkRfU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

glad ulillillia is still finding work

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gripweed posted:

So it's like the Zybourne Clock but all the laughably bad content is in the programming instead of the art and writing?

That and he is an insufferable dickhead, yes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Volte posted:

The film industry already got there a long time ago, unless you think you can easily spot the CGI in every film.

i can yes

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Help Im Alive posted:

i liked botw

I nominate Hyper Light Drifter

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I won't say prettiest but I loving love the way diaries of a spaceport janitor looks

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Stux posted:

i can yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa7-BxRXEPs

you look at this and you tell me you can tell it isn't real. you fuckin tell me to my god damned face that you can tell that this is cgi and not real life. you liar

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they edited out the mole on Human Torch's lower back

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Relax Or DIE posted:

I won't say prettiest but I loving love the way diaries of a spaceport janitor looks

There's a lot of games that are really pretty for stylistic reasons but then there's also stuff like control or ffxv that are really pretty for technical reasons and tl;Dr game ratings and caparisons are bull poo poo

I also present to the committee for consideration, Crap! No One Loves Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFTrI_3H64w

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 13, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Lord_Mandalore/status/1271609684869419008?s=20

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

i liked botw

superlatives are hard for me to narrow down but abzu, breath of the wild, yoshi's crafted world, odin sphere leifthrasir, sonic mania, and gris are all very nice looking games that i can think of off the top of my head

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sakura Wars good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://jonathangeer.bandcamp.com/track/mufuchofo-gufustofo

CSD3 is a much better game than csd2, goddamn. There are a billion QoL things that make it more fun to play.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Went are there like 7 standalone Wikipedia page for stuff like "development of the last of us" and "the last of us characters" instead of these being sections on the games entry????

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Thank you crazy reality for blessing us with both the Xbox One SAD and the Playstation 5AD.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've never been a big fan of dogs due to having been bitten a few times by various dogs as a kid, so I'm looking forward to TLOU2.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
:staredog:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That is actually sickening

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa7-BxRXEPs

you look at this and you tell me you can tell it isn't real. you fuckin tell me to my god damned face that you can tell that this is cgi and not real life. you liar

i dont have embeds on so the click for the reveal made me lol irl ty

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

redreader posted:

I've never been a big fan of dogs due to having been bitten a few times by various dogs as a kid, so I'm looking forward to TLOU2.

i almost got eaten by a dalmation as a kid so i always thought people were too harsh on cruella deville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope people get so sick of story-based AAA games after TLOU2 that AAA studios go back to making Quake and mascot platformers