Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

you broke my grill posted:

Cujo is the one he says he doesn't remember writing but I've never heard that it was only 24 hours
Dr. Jekyll was written on cocaine, then totally lost, then rewritten from memory, presumably also on cocaine. But that's a novella and I can absolutely buy that you could bang out a novella on cocaine, especially if you're writing in cursive and are leaving out the "rewrite" period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

8one6 posted:

Today on Voyager episode Tattoo Chuck O'tay discovers that his vague native American backstory may also include ancient aliens.
That episode is badddd

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAawiT2oKUI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

8one6 posted:

Today on Voyager episode Tattoo Chuck O'tay discovers that his vague native American backstory may also include ancient aliens.

Almost like a nutty weirdo who has pretended to be a native American his whole life and had no idea what he was talking about was the primary inspiration and consultant for the character.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Wasn't it an overreaction to the dislike of DS9's extended goodbye montage?

I liked it. The made it home, the end. It's not like I give a poo poo about any of the characters.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

I liked it. The made it home, the end. It's not like I give a poo poo about any of the characters.

You know, as a writer for Voyager, if you were trying to stay under the radar, you wouldn't be this obvious.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Do you guys think Klingon tech is made to be as "idiot-proof" as possible? Gowron is the leader of the entire empire and he apparantly can't even read a spreadsheet so I have to wonder how many Klinks just kind of don't really understand what they're doing and are using iPad-tier programs with big friendly and non-confusing buttons. We don't see much life on a Klingon Starship but they're simple enough for a cardassian to quickly master and you never get any "we have reversed the power couplings" bullshit in what little they see.

As an aside, how do you think Klingons would fare in the average pulpy deathmatch nonsense from the TOS era? Like some alien goes "ah ha! you will all be playing pieces in our game of Klickykloo, which is like space chess with people's lives", would the Klingons be like "yeah awesome" or would they just glass the planet surface with disruptors? What if they had a "Who mourns for adonais" or "Squire of Gothos" style incident? I feel like TNG era Klingons wouldn't fare very well in these situations....or just some of the other pulpy poo poo that happens, like the obligatory "You've been accused of murder and your crew needs to prove you didn't do it" episodes. Wouldn't Klingons just go "who cares? We're klingons, now gently caress off or we're coming back with 50 d7s and destroying your entire civilization"?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Do you guys think Klingon tech is made to be as "idiot-proof" as possible? Gowron is the leader of the entire empire and he apparantly can't even read a spreadsheet ...

That's a little unfair. It was less "can't read a spreadsheet" and more "shady finical poo poo is difficult to follow if it's not explicitly your job".

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

...We don't see much life on a Klingon Starship but they're simple enough for a cardassian to quickly master and you never get any "we have reversed the power couplings" bullshit in what little they see.

I do, however, 100% believe that Klingon warship tech is likely simple to use, simple to repair, and extremely robust, all because they expect it to take loads of abuse and still operate long enough to win a battle. Starfleet accomplishes it by having everything be triple redundant and being able to reroute and reconfigure everything on the fly, but it likely takes a decent amount of time to learn to do even half of what you can do at the engineering console, meanwhile I'd wager that you could tear the Klingon engineering console out of the wall, beat a Jem'Hadar to death with it, and plug it back in without having to deal with anything other than the blood on the screen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

8one6 posted:

I do, however, 100% believe that Klingon warship tech is likely simple to use, simple to repair, and extremely robust, all because they expect it to take loads of abuse and still operate long enough to win a battle. Starfleet accomplishes it by having everything be triple redundant and being able to reroute and reconfigure everything on the fly, but it likely takes a decent amount of time to learn to do even half of what you can do at the engineering console, meanwhile I'd wager that you could tear the Klingon engineering console out of the wall, beat a Jem'Hadar to death with it, and plug it back in without having to deal with anything other than the blood on the screen.
Yeah, I expect the Klingons have that ethos to their starships and technology even if it wasn't a formal policy. The Bird of Prey and its equivalents is probably a robust and well known platform while the Federation's overeducated engineering corps makes wack-rear end poo poo like multi-vector attack craft and burned replicated bird meat for fun. Klingon ships also are clearly less comfortable - I wonder what a more "extended cruise" vessel would look like.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nessus posted:

Yeah, I expect the Klingons have that ethos to their starships and technology even if it wasn't a formal policy. The Bird of Prey and its equivalents is probably a robust and well known platform while the Federation's overeducated engineering corps makes wack-rear end poo poo like multi-vector attack craft and burned replicated bird meat for fun. Klingon ships also are clearly less comfortable - I wonder what a more "extended cruise" vessel would look like.

I actually wonder, that, since Klingons can apparantly see in the dark, it's more "comfortable" to be in small dark quarters? I guess what I'm trying to say is: "how do you know they don't like it?" I have these visions of Klingons being somewhat non-plussed at the weird luxuries and replicators in every room design of the feddie ships. I doubt they're impressed by the civilian population of the ships either, or the weird schools..

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I actually wonder, that, since Klingons can apparantly see in the dark, it's more "comfortable" to be in small dark quarters? I guess what I'm trying to say is: "how do you know they don't like it?" I have these visions of Klingons being somewhat non-plussed at the weird luxuries and replicators in every room design of the feddie ships. I doubt they're impressed by the civilian population of the ships either, or the weird schools..
Was Worf so annoyed all the time because he was having to squint into the glare of Federation/Cardassian lamps?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JJ was just trying to show us the klingon pov

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nessus posted:

Was Worf so annoyed all the time because he was having to squint into the glare of Federation/Cardassian lamps?

kind of difficult to not view worf as an overgrown child after watching him call Ezri Dax a slut for sleeping with him

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

kind of difficult to not view worf as an overgrown child after watching him call Ezri Dax a slut for sleeping with him

I mean, to be fair to Worf, that's got to be the most emotionally confusing situation imaginable, and he manages to navigate to a less lovely response pretty fast.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

Apparently the Klingon idea of a bed is a flat metal slab, though I really think that's cultural machismo bullshit as much as anything. They probably all have horrible neck problems every morning but get through it with bloodwine for breakfast and their redundant biology letting them shrug off decades of terrible sleep posture.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Oh yeah, it's probably like the Soyuz. The Soyuz is simple 1960s tech, still running on vaccum tubes, but every single issue has been engineered out over the decades until it's one of the most reliable rockets out there. Launching on vacuum tubes sounds nasty but it works so don't change it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Whoever recommended Junkball media, thank you. It's so nice having a (mostly) trektuber who isn't barely containing their hate and seething visibly or just weird and boring.

No other comment, just thanks.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

8one6 posted:

That's a little unfair. It was less "can't read a spreadsheet" and more "shady finical poo poo is difficult to follow if it's not explicitly your job".

I've always read their expressions not at confusion at the material they're reading, but confused disgust that their colleague would lower himself to financial dealings to attack a rival.

The guys were probably all rolling in money (do Klingons have money?) and probably pretty savvy at their own house's financial structures. Only that those finances were there to support your warrior adventures and your family, not to be an under the table way to get at people. Money is for getting fancy swords and poo poo to get at people with.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

As an aside, how do you think Klingons would fare in the average pulpy deathmatch nonsense from the TOS era? Like some alien goes "ah ha! you will all be playing pieces in our game of Klickykloo, which is like space chess with people's lives", would the Klingons be like "yeah awesome" or would they just glass the planet surface with disruptors? What if they had a "Who mourns for adonais" or "Squire of Gothos" style incident? I feel like TNG era Klingons wouldn't fare very well in these situations....or just some of the other pulpy poo poo that happens, like the obligatory "You've been accused of murder and your crew needs to prove you didn't do it" episodes. Wouldn't Klingons just go "who cares? We're klingons, now gently caress off or we're coming back with 50 d7s and destroying your entire civilization"?

I never knew how much I wanted this show until now!

Imagine in SNW we get a recurring Klingon adversary to Pike, like his Shran. Old school space pirate evil empire lame sash wearing rear end in a top hat Klingons.

Imagine SNW leans into the TOS formula of episodic "weird poo poo in space" with giant green hands, monsters, gods, fallen civilizations, and evil computers.

Now imagine after a couple seasons we get a spinoff with our new favorite Klingon recurring crew, seeing the same wierd TOS era space poo poo, but the whole show is from the Klingon perspective and handling it their way. :swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“Go to warp? Certainly commander, once I fix this tu'HomI'raH plasma coil!”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah, it's probably like the Soyuz. The Soyuz is simple 1960s tech, still running on vaccum tubes, but every single issue has been engineered out over the decades until it's one of the most reliable rockets out there. Launching on vacuum tubes sounds nasty but it works so don't change it.

The old Soyuz variants are being replaced with Soyuz-2, which does use digital flight control and will no longer require the entire launchpad to be rotated to the correct heading.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Astroman posted:

I never knew how much I wanted this show until now!

Imagine in SNW we get a recurring Klingon adversary to Pike, like his Shran. Old school space pirate evil empire lame sash wearing rear end in a top hat Klingons.

Imagine SNW leans into the TOS formula of episodic "weird poo poo in space" with giant green hands, monsters, gods, fallen civilizations, and evil computers.

Now imagine after a couple seasons we get a spinoff with our new favorite Klingon recurring crew, seeing the same wierd TOS era space poo poo, but the whole show is from the Klingon perspective and handling it their way. :swoon:

Depends. TNG Klingons would be fun. TOS Klingons would be just Mirror Universe shows...

8one6
May 20, 2012

Just watched Maneuvers. Man the Kazon were bargain bin antagonists.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Depends. TNG Klingons would be fun. TOS Klingons would be just Mirror Universe shows...

Nah, the TOS Klingons weren't that bloodthirsty, they were just more ruthless in dealing with aliens and willing to use spycraft and manipulation.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

You know, as a writer for Voyager, if you were trying to stay under the radar, you wouldn't be this obvious.

What I said I'd only seen a dozen or so episodes?

8one6
May 20, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

What I said I'd only seen a dozen or so episodes?

Most of the writers of Voyager obviously didn't watch Voyager so this still checks out.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

McSpanky posted:

Nah, the TOS Klingons weren't that bloodthirsty, they were just more ruthless in dealing with aliens and willing to use spycraft and manipulation.

they literally execute 200 people over minor sabotage in the first episode they appear???

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

8one6 posted:

Just watched Maneuvers. Man the Kazon were bargain bin antagonists.
I think canonically they are the only species that was deemed unworthy of assimilation by the Borg.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Sash! posted:

I've always read their expressions not at confusion at the material they're reading, but confused disgust that their colleague would lower himself to financial dealings to attack a rival.

The guys were probably all rolling in money (do Klingons have money?) and probably pretty savvy at their own house's financial structures. Only that those finances were there to support your warrior adventures and your family, not to be an under the table way to get at people. Money is for getting fancy swords and poo poo to get at people with.

:yeah:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Klingons as we see them in TNG have kinda gone through a societal collapse since the days of TOS, and their politics now revolve around aristocracy and dueling, so everybody with any rank is busy fighting or boasting. I think TOS portrays Klingons as internally meritocratic so that bureaucrats could just be part of their society.

I assume there are still Klingon paper pushers and scientists just like how there are still Klingon lawyers, but they're all in subservient positions as part of some aristocrat's house, which conversely means a big fancy important Klingon like Gowron is going to have a sort of learned helplessness when it comes to accounting.

Of course, while it's an obvious assumption that Klingons must have some kind of lower class stratum from how they're ruled by noble houses, most Star Trek likes to play it both ways so that they're all somehow upper class nobility, and like noble households only include immediate family members instead of having some array of servants or support staff.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

they literally execute 200 people over minor sabotage in the first episode they appear???

Right and that's hella violent and cruel, but at the same time they don't have the comically exaggerated levels of MU violence where they'll casually bomb a planet from orbit to get at the resources or promote via assassination of superiors as regular orders of operations. The TOS Klingons are brutal colonizers as a means to an end, the Terran Empire has a bloodlust.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Of course, while it's an obvious assumption that Klingons must have some kind of lower class stratum from how they're ruled by noble houses, most Star Trek likes to play it both ways so that they're all somehow upper class nobility, and like noble households only include immediate family members instead of having some array of servants or support staff.

I assume that the leadership of the houses is largely familial but functional support includes people from 'lesser' families pledged or obliged to serve them, pretty sure this was implied pretty strongly in the Klingon Civil War episodes of TNG.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

In the backstory we have for Martok in DS9's "Once More unto the Breach", we find out that he's descended from a poor peasant family that has a long tradition of enlisting. His dad got a bunch of officers he served under to sponsor Martok's entry into the academy, but he was blackballed because he was lower class and kicked out of the military. He ended up becoming an officer out of an act of heroism when he was a civilian laborer on a military ship, saving the life of a General when the ship was attacked by Romulans.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think canonically they are the only species that was deemed unworthy of assimilation by the Borg.

And they assimilate Talaxians!

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 15, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I just assumed the Klingons were typically straightforward in their finances and unused to the sort of shadow accounting Quark uncovered. Plus lol the nerd is trying to teach the jocks.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The old Soyuz variants are being replaced with Soyuz-2, which does use digital flight control and will no longer require the entire launchpad to be rotated to the correct heading.

Do they still light it with a really big match?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, after 60 years of use. Soyuz-2 will need its own period of refinement. But my point stands about Soyuz-1: sure it needed you to rate the launchpad to the correct heading, an antiquated way of doing things, but they'd gotten really good doing it, so that antiquated way worked really really well in a field where things often blow up. (setting aside the new, lovely, cheap upper stages)

That's what I imagine all these Klingon ships that we see lasting for ages are like.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That definitely tracks with the Klingons in TOS basically being the Space Russians.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zurui posted:

That definitely tracks with the Klingons in TOS basically being the Space Russians.

"When we came up against subspace interference that disabled energy weapons, we spent months and hundreds of man-hours developing a compact magnetic accelerator for an inert composite-metallic projectile, targeted by the most sophisticated tactical assistance programs ever developed and fitted with state-of-the-art inertial dampers to negate recoil by 97%.

When the Klingons were faced with the same problem, they used swords."

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

McSpanky posted:

"When we came up against subspace interference that disabled energy weapons, we spent months and hundreds of man-hours developing a compact magnetic accelerator for an inert composite-metallic projectile, targeted by the most sophisticated tactical assistance programs ever developed and fitted with state-of-the-art inertial dampers to negate recoil by 97%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, but they were gonna use swords anyway.