Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

eke out posted:

Gotta say, that instakill of Juggs' (thorn armor form) is, in retrospect, even more loving wild in light of the current arc that's made it abundantly clear what absolute beasts angels are.

The text below the comics has always emphasized how terrifying angels are. In the comic, though, we previously got very few examples of how fights with angels usually go; there was a lot of angel-vs-angel stuff, but not anywhere near the level of intensity of this fight, as well as Maya cleaving Juggernaut Star in two (wildly unrepresentative, and it also overshadowed how thoroughly Juggs was destroying everyone who wasn't a former demiurge) and White Chain helping beat KILL BOSS (a two-vs-one in favor of the angel, and KILL BOSS left almost immediately after she showed up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

White Chains vs Delicious repelled everyone in the Hell who came near, and White Chains vs Unnamed Leisure Kicks Angel also caused a lot of damage.

If the person fighting then isn't a total monster, all the angel fights we've seen end up with the angle flattening their opponent.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Roland Jones posted:

as well as Maya cleaving Juggernaut Star in two

Wait, what? When did this happen?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
At the tail end of Allison visiting Mottom's mobile oppression palace.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renaissance Robot posted:

At the tail end of Allison visiting Mottom's mobile oppression palace.

I really hope the Maybe Sword gets to deliver another Cut for us to marvel upon at some point.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

The text below the comics has always emphasized how terrifying angels are. In the comic, though, we previously got very few examples of how fights with angels usually go; there was a lot of angel-vs-angel stuff, but not anywhere near the level of intensity of this fight, as well as Maya cleaving Juggernaut Star in two (wildly unrepresentative, and it also overshadowed how thoroughly Juggs was destroying everyone who wasn't a former demiurge) and White Chain helping beat KILL BOSS (a two-vs-one in favor of the angel, and KILL BOSS left almost immediately after she showed up).

Yeah exactly, there was a lot of telling about angels but not a lot of showing, and White Chain is one to typically hold back and only use the minimal amount of force necessary to beat whoever.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, what? When did this happen?

she really makes it look easy

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 14, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
still one of my favorite moments in the comic

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

eke out posted:

she really makes it look easy

Man, I completely failed to absorb that. And I've read this comic, front to back, twice now.
This is depressing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really hope the Maybe Sword gets to deliver another Cut for us to marvel upon at some point.

I’m hoping it’ll be splitting all of Throne in half, myself.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Murder the Gods and Bisect Throne has a good sound to it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man, I completely failed to absorb that. And I've read this comic, front to back, twice now.
This is depressing.
This comic is full of batshit moments. Sometimes it's hard to remember that not that long ago, the coolest thing Allison did was win a drinking contest.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Roland Jones posted:

The text below the comics has always emphasized how terrifying angels are. In the comic, though, we previously got very few examples of how fights with angels usually go

Playing the RPG gives an additional layer of whiplash, as Angels are not mechanically stronger than Humans or Servants as PC choices.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tulip posted:

Playing the RPG gives an additional layer of whiplash, as Angels are not mechanically stronger than Humans or Servants as PC choices.

Its an RPG rule: All Boss' are substantially nerfed once defeated and join the player party.

Except for KILL BOSS, who is cool and will never join the player party.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Its an RPG rule: All Boss' are substantially nerfed once defeated and join the player party.

Oh come on now, KILL BOSS is clearly a Tiger, despite the name

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

PMush Perfect posted:

This comic is full of batshit moments. Sometimes it's hard to remember that not that long ago, the coolest thing Allison did was win a drinking contest.

It was a musical drinking contest

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tulip posted:

I would imagine that is because in the RPG you are always playing some kind of superhero on par with an angel, yes?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

M_Gargantua posted:

KILL BOSS remains as strong as before and gets even stronger the more loot you give him.

He'll also betray the party when the adventure is nearing the apotheosis.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The funny thing is Maya lost that fight with Juggernaut.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hypocrisy posted:

The funny thing is Maya lost that fight with Juggernaut.

”Meti’s Sword Manual, 14th Precept” posted:

The weak swordsman clings to victory. He thinks of his life, his obligations, the outcome of the battle, his hatred for his opponent, his training, his pride in his mastery. By doing so, he is an imperfect vessel for the terrible fires of Will. He will surely crack. He will not laugh uproariously if he is cleft in two by his opponent’s blade. When his sword is shattered, his hands will be too reserved to tear his enemies’ flesh.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

This is depressing.

Time to start round three, then!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Those poor teacups...

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mr. Lobe posted:

I would imagine that is because in the RPG you are always playing some kind of superhero on par with an angel, yes?

While true (it's PBTA, the PCs are insanely dangerous), the rules don't specify that NPC angels are any stronger than average, and the flavor text actually highlights Ebon Devils as being way scarier. Thorn Knights are "feared" but the text plays up Verdant Devils and Infinite Mothers much more. Among the premade generic NPCs, the NPC power levels are on a scale of 0, 1, 2, 3, 3+, and all the Angels are 2 or 3, which is definitely more than average built "Guild Brutes" are a 2 and "Devil Assassins" are a 3.

Really the RPG should probably not be back-fed into the comic. It's not a problem for the "power levels are bullshit" crowd either way, but it does seem to have a somewhat different presentation of the world and how it works.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Some of the playbooks are (loosely) Meti, Oskar + Gang and up and coming Demiurge so being on par with an angel isn't unbelievable

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

hey girl you up posted:

I've mentioned this before, but the important takeaway to me is that Maya did eventually learn the lesson, take it to heart, and actualize it. It took losing the rat and Meti, but she absolutely does not hesitate when 6 Juggernaut comes for Allison. With Allison fleeing and Juggs carving a path to pursue her, Maya acts with zero hesitation and strikes to kill. She closes the distance and goes for the angel, on purpose.

edit:

Maya looking back and forth between Juggernaut Star and Allison, before finally deciding to put Juggernaut down instead of catching Allison for whatever purpose Maya intends, is the exact opposite of acting without hesitation.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Maya looking back and forth between Juggernaut Star and Allison, before finally deciding to put Juggernaut down instead of catching Allison for whatever purpose Maya intends, is the exact opposite of acting without hesitation.

She hesitated in making her decision, but upon making it, acted immediately and without fear or thought of consequence.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

In retrospect I feel like it's more her measuring their chances of escaping jug if she doesnt

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

eke out posted:

Yeah exactly, there was a lot of telling about angels but not a lot of showing, and White Chain is one to typically hold back and only use the minimal amount of force necessary to beat whoever.

Well, there's plenty of showing, it just hasn't been the focus. Like, look at those pages posted above where Maya fucks up Juggs; prior to that moment it's just a complete and utter slaughter, but it's not the big moment from that sequence and is interspersed between or in the background of other panels for the most part.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 15, 2020

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Just noticed Maya's little begging bowl and chopsticks are attached to her prayer bead necklace. That's the look of a woman who knows to keep her noodle receptacle close (or maybe that's how all mendicant knights dress idk).

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Maya cannot abide terrible swordsmanship.

Meti's Sword Manual posted:

You must never make 'multiple' cuts. Each must be singular in its beauty, no matter how many precede it. You must make your enemies weep with admiration, and likewise should your head be shorn off by such an object of beauty, you must do your best to shed tears of respect.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Well, Juggs did look pretty sad afterwards. That's kind of like crying.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Dead Reckoning posted:

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

In retrospect I feel like it's more her measuring their chances of escaping jug if she doesnt

This is how I always read the sequence. It reminds me of playing a 3-on-2 as a defender in ice hockey: you have to look around to see what each player is doing before you act. Attacking headlong is just as bad as hesitation.

It had never crossed my mind that it was an act of indecision, or that Maya was considering chasing Allison, although I can now see how others might read either of those interpretations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Based on what we learn about her later on, it seems really dubious that Maya would feel forced to choose between chasing Allison for her key or dealing with Juggs, at least, considering the defining moment of her past was getting so disgusted with what she had done in her quest for a key that she purposely walked away from it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Regalingualius posted:

Based on what we learn about her later on, it seems really dubious that Maya would feel forced to choose between chasing Allison for her key or dealing with Juggs, at least, considering the defining moment of her past was getting so disgusted with what she had done in her quest for a key that she purposely walked away from it.

To be fair, while I do believe that to be the case, it’s still hypothetical.

We don’t know for sure how she stopped being the leader of the Middle Army. Or whether she’d really like a key to be able to get that revenge she’s been stewing on for so long. We don’t actually know what Maya is after right now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

To be fair, while I do believe that to be the case, it’s still hypothetical.

We don’t know for sure how she stopped being the leader of the Middle Army. Or whether she’d really like a key to be able to get that revenge she’s been stewing on for so long. We don’t actually know what Maya is after right now.

Fair enough on that; hell, I was actually considering adding pretty much exactly that speculation to my post.

I could also see it as possible that Maya’s trying to do with Allison what Meti tried to do with her: guide her into figuring out where Maya’s own teaching/learning went wrong, and figure out a philosophy to surpass the Art of Cutting. She’s just taking a much more hands off approach with it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Personally I think Maya still doesn’t have a specific opinion on Allison; events keep conspiring to prevent their conversation, and Maya is a tired old woman (her words, not mine). When Allison runs off into another adventure Maya just sighs and keeps plodding along, approaching with the inevitability of mortality.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

This update may be my favorite thus far.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I am stoked that we're not done with 10 Vigilant Gaze :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love that Solomon not only gave him a clean new toga he also thoroughly had his armor cleaned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmfao

god bless you tom