Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Incredibly sad gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I had a dream about being Miles Morales last night based upon that trailer. December cannot get here fast enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering the DLC ended with Peter's one real ally on the police literally turning into a murdering supervillain I suspect it will not be the case.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ImpAtom posted:

Considering the DLC ended with Peter's one real ally on the police literally turning into a murdering supervillain I suspect it will not be the case.

But she was already a cop?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
The video game world is not the real world. Unless they are ready to give us out-of-costume stealth missions where Miles has to navigate being black in NYC, (avoid getting stopped, harassed, etc by the NYPD) it’s not going to have anything meaningful to say about policing in America, or race, or whatever. Cop Dad was killed already so that potential is gone. At the end of the day, the game is about science experiments that turn people into super freaks who have to fight each other, which strains their interpersonal relationships and creates drama.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like a big reason why Spider-Man was allies with Watanabe was for narrative reasons. Yuri and MJ were doing a lot of the legwork to investigate and research things for Spider-Man to keep driving the plot forward so the player could focus on the action.

But Spider-Man has never been an ACAB kind of guy anyway. How many times have they tried to arrest or kill him and yet he still wants to be on the same side? He's had good relationships with individual cops for a long time, some romantic. There's an argument to be made that in adapting the character for their game they could leave that part out or do the opposite but that is the character from the comics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maybe less "I'm hacking into the police surveillance network for the entire city which has no implications" and more "I have a map because it's a video game"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

which has no implications
The whole thing was an Oscorp program. They sold it to the police under the guise of crime tracking but it's pretty obvious Norman wasn't being altruistic with it.

Iono made sense to me.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The police surveillance network is kinda a bad look, when you consider back in the Lee/Ditko era there was a massive police surveillance program (setting up cameras all over the city) and it was regarded as a bad thing by basically everyone except the cops (and they came around, although only because Spidey caught the guy who invented it using it to help criminals evade the police).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lobok posted:

I feel like a big reason why Spider-Man was allies with Watanabe was for narrative reasons. Yuri and MJ were doing a lot of the legwork to investigate and research things for Spider-Man to keep driving the plot forward so the player could focus on the action.

But Spider-Man has never been an ACAB kind of guy anyway. How many times have they tried to arrest or kill him and yet he still wants to be on the same side? He's had good relationships with individual cops for a long time, some romantic. There's an argument to be made that in adapting the character for their game they could leave that part out or do the opposite but that is the character from the comics.

No poo poo. Spidey's relationship with the cops was always portrayed as antagonistic and they're often shown firing on him and trying to arrest him. There's also the fact that he's a young, confused, guilt ridden teenager who's not always sure what the right move is and is in any given situation and is repeatedly smeared by the press. It's rather central to the character, at least in his early incarnation.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It is kind of weird how little shooting cops do at Spidey in the game considering how much they shoot at him in the comics

I really hope the next Tom Holland movie has a scene where the cops open fire on Spidey in a flagrantly dangerous fashion

hell they could put the scene in a hospital and make it Blade homage

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And also just from a game design perspective, please stop making me do Ubisoft towers so I can navigate your open world. Just say the suit has GPS and give me the drat map.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

The police surveillance network is kinda a bad look, when you consider back in the Lee/Ditko era . . .
I felt like it tied into this whole thing of "technology will save us!" that becomes incredibly toxic and dangerous when the ethical implications get away from us. Which is, like, Spider-Man 101.

Like how Osborne tries to science his way into saving Harry despite having a pretty poo poo relationship. Or how the PoliceNet is a good primer for Sable coming in and setting checkpoints and poo poo and soon it's "surrender, citizens, for your own protection"

Waffleman_ posted:

Just say the suit has GPS and give me the drat map.
"This new suit is amaz-- wait what? That's not the way to Brooklyn! Ok, time to recalibrate... going to have to get up these high points away from all the EM interference and then sync up with those satellites!"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

OnimaruXLR posted:

It is kind of weird how little shooting cops do at Spidey in the game considering how much they shoot at him in the comics

I really hope the next Tom Holland movie has a scene where the cops open fire on Spidey in a flagrantly dangerous fashion

hell they could put the scene in a hospital and make it Blade homage

Spider-Man: Home in a Bodybag

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BiggerBoat posted:

No poo poo. Spidey's relationship with the cops was always portrayed as antagonistic and they're often shown firing on him and trying to arrest him. There's also the fact that he's a young, confused, guilt ridden teenager who's not always sure what the right move is and is in any given situation and is repeatedly smeared by the press. It's rather central to the character, at least in his early incarnation.

Yeah, seriously. The cops are at best a neutral force in the comics, where they want to stop the bad guys but also don't care who gets shot while they do it. I'm not asking for a game that completely condemns the concept of law enforcement, but making Spider-man 100% allied with the cops in a major story sense is going against pretty core elements of his character.

gently caress, that playstation Spider-man game has an entire stage where the only thing going on is police trying to murder Spidey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1DGmd3WHE8&t=1286s

I understand that in an open world game you don't want things to get GTA 5 stars every time a cop sees the player character, but they went above and beyond to make Spidey support the blue. He ain't Batman.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 14, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Spider-Man supporting cops makes sense because his fundamental character is a naive, hope filled kid. That doesn't mean he has to be shown as right about it or you can't do shades of gray or anything, but Parker himself liking cops makes sense with who he is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
in the next reboot, uncle ben gets murdered by a cop

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Retro Futurist posted:

Spider-Man supporting cops makes sense because his fundamental character is a naive, hope filled kid. That doesn't mean he has to be shown as right about it or you can't do shades of gray or anything, but Parker himself liking cops makes sense with who he is.

It is very easy to imagine someone like Glory Grant or one of the Robertsons dressing down Peter's feelings about police only for him to later realize "Oh poo poo, I guess most people can't dodge bullets and swing away from that sort of thing, huh?"

about the most confrontational I can remember him being with cops is in Zdarsky's Daredevil run where he tells the cop with a big anti-superhero chip on his shoulder to stop being such a baby and focus on helping people instead of his personal crusade (which stem from baggage he has from shooting an unarmed teen, incidentally)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Spider-Man is a cop

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no thats spider-man noir

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm just jealous all over again since I have an Xbone and not a PS and can't play it because it looks kick rear end and I loved all the previous games.

If/when I buy a next gen console I might go with Sony but that won't be any time soon since I'm broke and have no time plus I'm totally not lining up to buy any new consumer electronics on launch day ever again. If you're patient, you can play these games for cents on the dollar and I still have:

Fallout 4
Hitman
Witcher 3
Dead Space 2
NBA 2k

to explore along with RE4 and Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii.

plus RE2 and 3 remake along with Evil Within 2 to master so I never really get the rush to get a new console. Seems they're also buggy as poo poo when they first come out (see: XBOX 360 Red RIng and PS1 sound skipping) so whatever.

But still, Spider Man PS4 looks pretty..uh... amazing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ve never owned a console on launch, but I think this is going to be the one for me. Especially if it launches with a Spider-Man game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Retro Futurist posted:

Peter's been consistently friendly to the cops, often with specific friends on the force: Jean DeWolff, Yuri, that old dude from JMS's ASM, that bald guy from Ultimate, etc. How antagonistic he and the cops are to one another is something that shifts from writer to writer, sometimes dramatically, but it often errs on the side of wary friendliness.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

in the next reboot, uncle ben gets murdered by a cop

All Cops Are Ben-Killers

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’ve never owned a console on launch, but I think this is going to be the one for me. Especially if it launches with a Spider-Man game.

I wouldn't.

They're almost always broken somehow, tremendously overpriced and very buggy.

They basically just use first day buyers to work out the kinks in the hardware.

That's been my experience (PS1, PS2, XBOX 360). I've had serious problems with all of them but never with the ones I sat around and waited on (Wii, XBone, PS3).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also that design is loving ugly and they'll come out with something different looking before long.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Given how massively hosed the technology supply chains are due to COVID (I honestly doubt the PS5 launches this year), I'd wait at least six months after release for Rev B hardware. Never, ever buy Rev A.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think launch will be fine, but yeah, better wait for the first revision, specially since I'm guessing a ton of software will end up being moved to later in 2021.

As far as cop stuff goes, Spider-man PS4 definitely felt pro-cop, like all the evil poo poo you'd attribute to cops were shifted to Norman or the Silver Sable Mercs. But with how the DLC ended, you can totally make the move to be a bit anti-cop in a weak way at least. Like not full-on Peter and Miles making ACAB with webbing, but at least having to escape from them and getting to web their guns when fighting other folk. And hopefully the first game comes to PC so we can mod it into letting you beat up cops.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Though the game does open with the reveal that a lot of cops were on the take from Kingpin.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
nowadays apparently you want to wait a year and a half for the upgraded ps5 pro anyways

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Also that design is loving ugly and they'll come out with something different looking before long.

The design is a thing of pure beauty

https://twitter.com/OregonProgress/status/1271868766851235841?s=20

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

site posted:

nowadays apparently you want to wait a year and a half for the upgraded ps5 pro anyways
Yesh, then you have to gamble and see if revision 1.5 takes out the usb port or someshit. Ugh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Spider-Man supporting cops makes sense because his fundamental character is a naive, hope filled kid.

His character is a bitter loner with emotional angst.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

J. Jonah Jameson was right all along.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm planning to just trade my PS4 Pro in since it's backwards compatible anyway.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

His character is a bitter loner with emotional angst.

Turn on your monitor :smaug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Turn on your monitor :smaug:

I'm Spider-man????

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
We all are.

Anyone can wear the mask

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Everyone should be wearing the mask, there's a pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ShaunEscayg/status/1272955138693459969?s=20

Kamala what are you WEARING