Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Dope

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

venomsnek posted:

Need to replace my phone and I found 2 promising candidates

UMIDIGI A5 Pro (32GB, 4GB RAM) Unlocked Smartphone with 6.3" FHD+ Waterdrop Full Screen and Triple Main Camera(16MP+8MP+5MP), Global 4G LTE Dual SIM GSM International Version(Space Grey) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07V1BYH6S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3I.3EbEPMSZ30

Or

UMIDIGI Power3 Unlocked Smartphone 64GB+4GB RAM 6.53" FHD+ FullView Display 6150mAh Big Battery Mobile Phone,48MP AI Quad Camera,Global LTE Bands with Mufti-Function NFC Android 10(Midnight Green) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B085TDC6XM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DJ.3EbCCBCDQQ

Is it worth the extra hundred dollars?

Or is there something better in the sub 300 dollars Canadian price range?

sourdough posted:

I know nothing about this brand or phone prices in Canada and would recommend something more name brand in general, but a 50% larger battery, double internal storage (usable storage will be more than double after system partition is taken into account), and newer OS (Android 9 vs 10, doubt either ever sees an update) is easily worth the price difference.

venomsnek posted:

Unfortunately Canadian carriers don’t like non contract phones so the only big name options in that price range are the Moto g7 play,LG k41s or Samsung A10e which are all pretty lousy in terms of specs and cost the same or more than these ones

Imported phones usually offer a better selection and value

I think I’m going to spend the extra hundred and hope for the best.

Appreciate the input :)

"i only buy on specs unfortunately i have no idea what any of them mean"

this is the perfect dyp poster

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it has a 2 ghz hello p60 high performance processor that's all the specs i need!

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

LastInLine posted:

"Thanks for the advice guys, I decided to ignore it and get some bullshit since it was 5 dollars cheaper."
*Breaks in a month and the $300 lovely phone cycle begins anew*

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im the all caps nonsense brand name that tells you it’s the absolute trash tier of poo poo that will break the first time you use it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
today in sentences you don't expect to read: ubisoft knocks off breath of the wild, leaks early build on stadia?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
using a streaming service to test games is actually a pretty good idea

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
which one of you posted this on the pixel subreddit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

instead of implementing noise cancelling it just yells at you louder when there is more outside noise (or piss). what could possibly go wrong?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

look out here coMES MY PISS

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

there will come soft golden rains

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Google Chrome team moving away from the words ‘blacklist’ and ‘whitelist’ to be more inclusive

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

good

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I worked on anti-phishing/malware software 10 years ago and even then the terms whitelist and blacklist were strictly forbidden. “this name in no way relates to what this list actually represents” was never really a hard sell to a bunch of nomenclature nerds.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The eReader thread is currently discussing buying janky eInk devices that run anroid from aliexpress and getting the google store to run on them.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tk posted:

I worked on anti-phishing/malware software 10 years ago and even then the terms whitelist and blacklist were strictly forbidden. “this name in no way relates to what this list actually represents” was never really a hard sell to a bunch of nomenclature nerds.

white programmers are, to a person, racist to their very core. see also the default branch for every repo on github being called “master”

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The eReader thread is currently discussing buying janky eInk devices that run anroid from aliexpress and getting the google store to run on them.

the new boox devices are so good, got a nova2 and it is my favourite device in quite a few years. if you want lols focus on people still paying bezos money only to do the jankiest kindle jailbreaks.

Apr 7, 2003

the android is coming from inside the thread

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:hmmno:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:lol:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

the android is coming from inside the thread

those boox tablets are $600-$1200 too

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

do you have to jailbreak a newer kindle to use calibre?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

hifi posted:

do you have to jailbreak a newer kindle to use calibre?

no, you can just put whatever you want on it as long as it's the right format, idk which is which epub vs mobi, but whatever calibre just converts so it's not worth trying to remember which is which

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

those boox tablets are $600-$1200 too

a bit high, $340 for the nova2. if you want to go all the way down to 6" (but as a lot of the niceness is good pdf support and pen annotations it makes less sense to me) the poke2 is $190.

e: to be clear here it is pretty much entirely useless as a general android device (and really pretty clunky in general), but for what started as a way to dodge bezos (and google, as it is just aosp dressed up for eink) i find myself really liking the device in general. the only real android compatibility i use is having installed the app my library uses for ebook/newpaper loans, but as noted pdf and ink support are both working great. updates will no doubt be sparse, but as i don't really have any accounts on it, or install a lot of weird apps, i am not really that worried about security issues. no real judgement against the kindle as such, but if you get really invested in janitoring one to save a few bucks at least admit that you're more android in spirit than just buying a boox is.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 15, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm quoting canadian prices, which are probably hosed beyond just the exchange rate

my shameful secret is wanting a large e-ink screen on something with a web browser, so i can do all my forums browsing and news reading on a lightweight slate with insanely good contrast and battery life. the price however makes that a joke.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm quoting canadian prices, which are probably hosed beyond just the exchange rate

my shameful secret is wanting a large e-ink screen on something with a web browser, so i can do all my forums browsing and news reading on a lightweight slate with insanely good contrast and battery life. the price however makes that a joke.

you'd need to get the forums paging in some sane way though (i.e. be able to turn the page on posts rather than do continuous scroll), and tbqh i think you'd find that you page through the forum fast enough that eink response still isn't pleasant. quick refreshes are quick of course, but comes with more artifact-buildup which kind of ruin the upsides of eink. so just as well to save your money.

really anyone considering a boox i think it is important to consider the apps just a bigger toolbox for getting content onto/off the device, but end of the day you shouldn't expect to enjoy anything other than linearly and quite slowly paging through content (and annotating of course).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a while back i made a proxy to strip https and active content to render pages on old devices in plain html. i could probably fudge that to paginate content for the e-ink display too.

as it is i'm just futzing around with old e-readers since they're cheap as hell and they all run some flavour of embedded linux anyway. i like the idea of the boox devices in theory, but there's not a chance in hell i'm ever going to spend that kind of money on one

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

perfect posting tool... a weapon to surpass metal gear

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if the slowness of eink slows down your posting, I’m all for it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

carry on then posted:

white programmers are, to a person, racist to their very core.

sir i think you have confused us with the police

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

eink owns. I love my 2nd gen kindle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i got a used kindle dx a few years ago for next to nothing and it's my favourite thing to read on short of an actual book

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

i got a used kindle dx a few years ago for next to nothing and it's my favourite thing to read on short of an actual book

I really hate that it's discontinued.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i was looking to get another one just to hack around with (it's linux after all) and they're suddenly going for $200+ CAD for some reason.

Apr 7, 2003

Amethyst posted:

eink owns. I love my 2nd gen kindle

Kindle devices have been bar none my favorite tech devices, the build quality is good, they have longevity, and they are unobtrusive. They do one thing and they do it well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eink is cool but have you tried oink

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

eink is cool but have you tried oink
rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007