Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah but remember we've had theresa may as PM

theresa may never did anything that obviously stupid to my knowledge - she was actually pretty good about not giving anyone a good excuse to actually stick the knife in imo, it's how she got into position to become PM basically by default - everyone produced what knives they had and she was the last one standing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/EdClowes/status/1271781921186549765

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

V. Illych L. posted:

i feel as if i should clarify that that was more of a statement as to the freakishness of michael gove and not an assessment of the actual electability of a party under his leadership

i cannot imagine his winning an election because it is sincerely hard for me to understand who he appeals to, though it's clearly *someone*

he really really hates muslims

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
amongst other things

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
things will never stop getting dumber

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

V. Illych L. posted:

theresa may never did anything that obviously stupid to my knowledge - she was actually pretty good about not giving anyone a good excuse to actually stick the knife in imo, it's how she got into position to become PM basically by default - everyone produced what knives they had and she was the last one standing

you might be right, though my impression was more that she was left standing because nobody thought she was a threat initially so once the dust settled all they had to do was quietly smother leadsom, instead selecting the bone-deep racist May

so its really anyones game, the leader is whoever survives the series of schemes and backfiring schemes with the support of the party establishment

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gove has a shady wing of media and dark doings behind him but so do like 2 other tory factions, kier is trying to get his own too. plus hes a fuckup and looks like a fish monster.
the media considers him very smart cause they're insanely loving stupid and intellectually (and sometimes genetically) inbred.
He used to be a journalist. For The Times.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you might be right, though my impression was more that she was left standing because nobody thought she was a threat initially so once the dust settled all they had to do was quietly smother leadsom, instead selecting the bone-deep racist May

so its really anyones game, the leader is whoever survives the series of schemes and backfiring schemes with the support of the party establishment

not being vulnerable is a huge strength to a politician, and the tory establishment *is* its backbench and donors - my impression is that the labour party is much more bureaucratic than the tories, though this could be very misguided

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

V. Illych L. posted:

not being vulnerable is a huge strength to a politician, and the tory establishment *is* its backbench and donors - my impression is that the labour party is much more bureaucratic than the tories, though this could be very misguided

I can't even begin to describe how actually loving wrong this loving post actually is. It bears no resemblance to the politics or demographics or anything of this shithole country. Shut up

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Jose posted:

priti patel is hot, racist and spiteful as gently caress she'd do really well as leader most likely

In the US at least this combo has found a lot more success as right wing media grifter than someone who's expected to occasionally govern.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't mean to imply that the Tories aren't virulently sexist, but they do have Thatcher's bloody legacy to draw upon. Who are the female conservative politicians of whom your average Republican might have heard? Sarah Palin and Michele Bachman?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Don't underestimate Gove - he's an actual conservative intellectual and has long term plans. One if the reasons he wanted Education was so he could try and rewrite the curriculum to indoctrinate kids better. His main issue right now is that he's a known backstabber and not highly trusted.

Also yeah, he really, *really* hates muslims.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't mean to imply that the Tories aren't virulently sexist, but they do have Thatcher's bloody legacy to draw upon. Who are the female conservative politicians of whom your average Republican might have heard? Sarah Palin and Michele Bachman?

Ivanka Trump

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

V. Illych L. posted:

Yo there is seriously a theme of you not understanding UK politics whatsoever and it's bizarre. Don't stop posting or anything but god drat, at some point pay better attention

Theresa May did the single dumbest thing in UK politics since Brexit when she chose to go against not only parliamentary and party advice but that of her own advisors and run as Thatcher But Worse in a popularity contest against peak Corbyn. It was an incredible own goal caused by a basic inability to understand reality.

V. Illych L. posted:

the issue with patel imo is that she's not very tactically adroit

she has killer instinct,

It has taken her ten loving years to work out she can play the "I'm the wrong minority" card. Candace Owens built a career on that. She isn't a shark, she's plankton.

e; I'm still sat here stunned. Ten years for Priti Patel to work out maybe, just maybe, she can try one neat trick to totally disprove the fact she's a bloodthirsty racist. Ten years later, she actually said the words "To them I am the wrong minority". Ten years. Killer instinct.

Spangly A has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Jun 14, 2020

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

poty posted:

things will never stop getting dumber

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

by killer instinct i mean a willingness to jump at the opportunity when afforded to her. it's stupid in that she jumps at stuff that blows her up such as the incident that got her sacked, but she remains relatively young for a great office of state (though not exceptionally so) and she's got all the attributes others have mentioned (attractive, psychopathic, intensely racist) which make her a contender - you'll note, though, that i was arguing *against* her candidacy in that post so if i'm missing something fundamental here i'm not alone

as for may calling the 2017 GE it's obvious in retrospect, but given her objective circumstances it wasn't that dumb imo - polls were very heavily favouring her and she had a lot of the press more or less on her pocket. the problem imo was that the demonisation if corbyn's labour hadn't yet been given either specific form or moral impulse, so when people saw what he had to offer they were pretty happy about it and corbyn was still seem as a basically honourable if somewhat kooky chap

something can be a really bad mistake without being stupid in the sense that it was obvious to reasonable people at the time. i recall a certain defiant pessimism in the ukmt itself at the time regarding whether labour should've whipped against the election, which i found very illuminating and where i thought that the anti-whip crowd were more reasonable. by all indications, that election was may's to lose - she turned out to be an impossibly bad campaigner, but that wasn't really foreseeable from her camp's perspective or from what i gather is the received wisdom of electoral campaigns these days, I.e. that a lead is best preserved by going to ground and leaving the other guy to campaign

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Please just lurk dude.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Priti Patel has the kind of intelligence that makes a plank of wood seem like loving Einstein.

There is a reason the Tories don't allow her to speak publicly very much.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

I'm honestly impressively dismayed at how awful the 'leaked' response to the trans report in The Sunday Times is (pastebin here: https://pastebin.com/rjvXhFx2). Massive rollbacks of Equality Act protections, legislation to keep trans women out of all 'single-sex spaces', crackdown on private trans health ... it's bad folks!!!

How do we feel this fits into the broader UKpol psychodrama - was it a deliberate leak to keep fascist brawls off the top spot on the front page? Weird Tory spasms? An op to get someone to complain about this to the European Court of Human Rights, which gives a pretext to withdraw from it and take back control? your theories here

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

I'm honestly impressively dismayed at how awful the 'leaked' response to the trans report in The Sunday Times is (pastebin here: https://pastebin.com/rjvXhFx2). Massive rollbacks of Equality Act protections, legislation to keep trans women out of all 'single-sex spaces', crackdown on private trans health ... it's bad folks!!!

How do we feel this fits into the broader UKpol psychodrama - was it a deliberate leak to keep fascist brawls off the top spot on the front page? Weird Tory spasms? An op to get someone to complain about this to the European Court of Human Rights, which gives a pretext to withdraw from it and take back control? your theories here

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1272141888167063557

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/e_casalicchio/status/1272071593678778369?s=20

Labour taking a hard pro-statue stance. Doesn't matter what sort of statue, they just love statues. Finally putting the anti-statue Corbyn era behind them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/_Sara_X8/status/1272103871012364290?s=20

they're always loving sonic furries

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Labour taking a hard pro-statue stance. Doesn't matter what sort of statue, they just love statues. Finally putting the anti-statue Corbyn era behind them.

the UK is so totally incapable of discussing racism that we have have decided to talk about statues instead.
so anti-racism becomes anti-statue and racism becomes pro-statue

naturally supercop kier and the anti-abbot brigade is coming down pro-statue

what i think is funny is the subsequent immediate pivot to war memorials. in the same way that the original kneeling protests by kapernick et al were reconstrued to be about not showing support for the military.
its the exact same playbook except we're even more degenerate and ignorant than the yanks. cos they at least went "blacks protesting police violence? no. they're protesting ARE TROOPS!" we are going "blacks protesting police violence racist statues? no. they're protesting ARE TROOP STATUES!"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

V. Illych L. posted:

by killer instinct i mean a willingness to jump at the opportunity when afforded to her. it's stupid in that she jumps at stuff that blows her up such as the incident that got her sacked, but she remains relatively young for a great office of state (though not exceptionally so) and she's got all the attributes others have mentioned (attractive, psychopathic, intensely racist) which make her a contender - you'll note, though, that i was arguing *against* her candidacy in that post so if i'm missing something fundamental here i'm not alone

as for may calling the 2017 GE it's obvious in retrospect, but given her objective circumstances it wasn't that dumb imo - polls were very heavily favouring her and she had a lot of the press more or less on her pocket. the problem imo was that the demonisation if corbyn's labour hadn't yet been given either specific form or moral impulse, so when people saw what he had to offer they were pretty happy about it and corbyn was still seem as a basically honourable if somewhat kooky chap

something can be a really bad mistake without being stupid in the sense that it was obvious to reasonable people at the time. i recall a certain defiant pessimism in the ukmt itself at the time regarding whether labour should've whipped against the election, which i found very illuminating and where i thought that the anti-whip crowd were more reasonable. by all indications, that election was may's to lose - she turned out to be an impossibly bad campaigner, but that wasn't really foreseeable from her camp's perspective or from what i gather is the received wisdom of electoral campaigns these days, I.e. that a lead is best preserved by going to ground and leaving the other guy to campaign

I know the other guy said you shouldn't stop posting but I disagree

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

he should retire to his shadow home

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Set fire to the cenotaph? Must be clad in the same poo poo as Grenfell.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Does Brexit still mean Brexit?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

the UK is so totally incapable of discussing racism that we have have decided to talk about statues instead.
so anti-racism becomes anti-statue and racism becomes pro-statue
It dawned on me that I said something similar to this to a relative who was crying his heart out for a dumb statue that got sprayed in Lisbon and.. I dunno if the UK of all places in europe isnt, then who is?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hoo boy the Portugese are still misty eyed about their "age of discoveries" nope no racism or slavery here move along.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Hoo boy the Portugese are still misty eyed about their "age of discoveries" nope no racism or slavery here move along.

it's even worse, it was a statue not even 5 years old of a priest and brazilian native children, and it's a mess involving possibly the far right being involved in the statue defacing to incite hatred and so on
portuguese bluepills are overly sensitive over property damage

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

spankmeister posted:

Ah, so the same as in the Netherlands then, the country that celebrated its "Golden Century" above everything else and where racism doesn't exist.

also don't forget that the Dutch king has a literal golden carriage with proud descriptions of slavery on it that he gets to ride in public once a year and that's all fine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

oliwan posted:

Ah, so the same as in the Netherlands then, the country that celebrated its "Golden Century" above everything else and where racism doesn't exist.

also don't forget that the Dutch king has a literal golden carriage with proud descriptions of slavery on it that he gets to ride in public once a year and that's all fine.

You'll get no argument from me there.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

spankmeister posted:

It's tasteful blackface

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Saw this in the turnp thread and am told it is "very british"

https://twitter.com/kirkkorner/status/1272474870820077570

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

spankmeister posted:

oh I know, I wasn't looking for an argument, just wanted to offer the UK goons some perspective.

like, I know how hosed the racism discourse works in the UK, but it's actually much much better than in the netherlands, for instance. there's lots of British post-colonial art and literature for example, lots of universities offer post-colonial and black studies, there are many non-white celebrities and academics who are activist in nature, etc.

In the netherlands, we are just realizing that a national holiday involving literal blackface might be a tad problematic

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Captain Cappy posted:

Does Brexit still mean Brexit?
This question does not make sense, as it suggests that Brexit could ever not mean Brexit.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Portugal has had a "servant" "class" on its former colonies until 1974 and a "mild" controversy from like 5 years ago or so was a PhD from Mozambique who had worked as a "servant" decided to write a book about it. The controversy was why he wasn't grateful for being able to speak Portuguese and even own an education instead of "being a savage". Around at the same time, we had a notorious historian writing a big take on the newspaper on how Kenyans are ambulance chasers and outrage addicts for even daring to inconvenience the European grief of Je Suis Charlie for mourning the Garissa University attack.

The newspaper that happily host most of those takes cheered the opposition leader for saying there was no such thing as racism in Portugal.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

oliwan posted:

oh I know, I wasn't looking for an argument, just wanted to offer the UK goons some perspective.

like, I know how hosed the racism discourse works in the UK, but it's actually much much better than in the netherlands, for instance. there's lots of British post-colonial art and literature for example, lots of universities offer post-colonial and black studies, there are many non-white celebrities and academics who are activist in nature, etc.

In the netherlands, we are just realizing that a national holiday involving literal blackface might be a tad problematic

i mean, even in the netherlands post-colonial and black/african studies is a pretty lively subject in some universities. wekker and braidotti and Utrecht, african studies in leiden, i think some researches in Amsterdam. it might not be as big as in the UK and the US, but especially wekker is a fairly well known and influential author. and, much as in the UK, much of the anti-racist discourse is outside the mainstream and those speaking out are often vilified and attacked. it might be less influential than in the UK, but unfortunately there's still a lot of work to do in both countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mrmcd posted:

Saw this in the turnp thread and am told it is "very british"

https://twitter.com/kirkkorner/status/1272474870820077570

Two weeks in the slammer for pissing on a statue?