Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Don’t you see High Entia soldiers flying using their head wings earlier in the game...?

Anyway Melia’s are too small for flight anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling the reason this game was desired/well regarded was the dearth of rpgs on the wii.

The original run also required you to preorder exclusively from GameStop to get a copy and I feel like that investment influences opinions. I recall the trade in value being either $60 or $80 when Wii games were only $50 new.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Don’t you see High Entia soldiers flying using their head wings earlier in the game...?

Anyway Melia’s are too small for flight anyway.

I don't remember that at all, they always fly in the spaceship things they've got. She's the first one we actually see flying.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Good trick to level up affinity is to level down 2 of your characters to 6 levels below a random mob (that’s in a group). Lure the mob in, and order your under leveled guys to attack him, while you change your target to some random other mob so you don’t kill the other one.

Since your two characters are so much lower level, they’ll continually miss and you can encourage them to get the affinity boost. And your main guy is a higher level so he doesn’t get hurt by the mob attacking you.

Maybe there is a faster way, but I got Dunban, Melia, and Riki to the blue happy face in maybe around 30 min?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just force fed them items and did quests.

Dont forget a "perfect" heart to heart is worth an absurd amount of affinity

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zarfol posted:

Good trick to level up affinity is to level down 2 of your characters to 6 levels below a random mob (that’s in a group). Lure the mob in, and order your under leveled guys to attack him, while you change your target to some random other mob so you don’t kill the other one.

Since your two characters are so much lower level, they’ll continually miss and you can encourage them to get the affinity boost. And your main guy is a higher level so he doesn’t get hurt by the mob attacking you.

Maybe there is a faster way, but I got Dunban, Melia, and Riki to the blue happy face in maybe around 30 min?

Put sleep immunity on your main character and attack that owl in the forest. You can continually wake up your guys and that gives loads of affinity.

And yea always reload heart to hearts if you screw them up, it reduces things loads if you don't as well.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Takoluka posted:

Patroka is what happens when Rinoa from FF8 accidentally gets time-compressed into a different franchise and turns stupid.

Stupider. Rinoa was already pretty drat stupid. She just doesn't stand out much in that game cuz the entire cast is also stupid. :v:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Barudak posted:

I just force fed them items and did quests.

Dont forget a "perfect" heart to heart is worth an absurd amount of affinity

Yeah, for all that individual gifts returns are bad, pulling up the “presents” wiki page and just handing out the stuff you have 10+ of to whoever gets the most bang from it from whoever you want to build with that target will quickly get everyone to at least cloudy (level 4 out of 5) and you can mostly finish off by just touring hear your hearts and doing quests after that.

The chart you want: https://xenoblade.fandom.com/wiki/Presents

The way to do this fastest is to hit the filters and only look at one category (fruits, veg, bugs, etc.) at a time, and sort either by lowest sell price (to identify easy low level poo poo from colony 9 area) or by quantity (to spot the stuff you ended up with 40 of when you made 30 loops of Makna Forest for dumb nopon sidequest chains).

I like to keep anything that originates in Sword Valley/Mechonis regions because it’s a pain to get more later, and like... 5 of everything else for random trading needs. But the game throws blue sparkles at you and you should absolutely be gifting most of them.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 15, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

I like to keep anything that originates in Sword Valley/Mechonis regions because it’s a pain to get more later, and like... 5 of everything else for random trading needs. But the game throws blue sparkles at you and you should absolutely be gifting most of them.

Even if you're chucking all your collectibles at increasing affinity it's not going to help THAT much. It'll make it a bit faster and if you've got shitloads of collectibles you might get lucky but I don't always think it's worth it.
Especially since quests pop up for items you might have had a bunch of and then given away (looking at you heart peaches)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Taear posted:

Even if you're chucking all your collectibles at increasing affinity it's not going to help THAT much. It'll make it a bit faster and if you've got shitloads of collectibles you might get lucky but I don't always think it's worth it.
Especially since quests pop up for items you might have had a bunch of and then given away (looking at you heart peaches)

If it isn’t needed for colony 6, then they show up on the map. Just warp to the appropriate zone and go to the exclamation points. If there aren’t enough, change time. Need more? Jump off a cliff (Dying resets spawns).

The list of things colony 6 needs is short enough to just avoid them. (Or just keep 5 of everything like I do).

And chucking all your collectibles really does add up. I mean, yeah, 14 per gift is lousy. But if you have 20 of thing, that’s 280 affinity. And you probably have 20 of 20 different things. That’s 5k affinity to hand out. It makes a substantial dent in what you’ll need to do.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
okay, I know that a good portion of my post history in this thread is now "are we there yet??" but: I just got to chapter 13, after the machine lady says she's gonna heal Melia. am I... at least 2/3 of the way through this game? I would like to finish it some day but I'm now 45 hours in and my resolve is fading fast :negative:

I am somewhat encouraged by seeing that the how long to beat page for the Definitive Edition is "only" ~70 hours for "main + extras," unlike the Wii version's 100 hours. I cannot imagine doing a single side quest in this game on the Wii or 3DS, eesh.

reading some of what people said in this thread about the endgame, and being required to do a big grind to defeat the high level monsters in past area and stuff, I think I might just... skip most of that. Would I really be doing myself a disservice? I'm still trying to do a decent chunk of sidequests - gonna do the ones I just picked up in the Mechonis village, gonna try to finish Colony 6, etc. - but I'm thinking of beelining towards the end of this thing as much as I can

in positive news: I have found Riki to be kind of delightful as an AI party member, purely because while, like all AI party members, I generally don't really notice anything particular that he's doing, I laugh every time I have to wake him up when he casts the loving put-everyone-to-sleep spell. I know I should take it off his hotbar since he seems to exclusively use it against enemies that resist sleep, but it's too loving funny

also is it too off topic for me to ask what audiobooks and podcasts people are listening to while playing this game? salute to anyone who has just listened to 100 hours of battle screams instead

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

abraham linksys posted:

reading some of what people said in this thread about the endgame, and being required to do a big grind to defeat the high level monsters in past area and stuff, I think I might just... skip most of that. Would I really be doing myself a disservice? I'm still trying to do a decent chunk of sidequests - gonna do the ones I just picked up in the Mechonis village, gonna try to finish Colony 6, etc. - but I'm thinking of beelining towards the end of this thing as much as I can

If you're feeling burnt out just go ahead and rush the main story then come back to the game later if you want to grind up for the super bosses. I want to say I was around level 80 when I finished the game on the Wii and the end game unique encounters start at 99.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was listening to Behind the Bastards, but it's been bumming me out too much lately so I've switched to Desparate Acts of Capitalism, which definitely has some overlap but with 100% less genocide and way more "what the gently caress happened to Radioshack/Crystal Pepsi/Moviepass"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

multijoe posted:

One thing I have noticed on this playthrough is the game only just barely passes the bechdel test. Every major female character is defined by their attachments to men, to a ludicrous extent in Seven's case. Kinda sucks.

In fairness that’s partially because 3/4 the men in the party are all people she knows personally, has known for a long time and set out to avenge her death in the first place.

It’s a flaw in the party structure you would likely need to either add another female character from that colony or swap the gender of someone in the party to solve.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Who can deal with Telethias' Soul Read ability?

Shulk obviously, he has aura purge (and arts seal) more or less on command; Melia has that art in Elemental Burst; anyone else?

Daze is the generic way to remove auras, but break and topple arts still need to connect IIRC, which is obviously a problem against a perfect evasion aura.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

abraham linksys posted:

also is it too off topic for me to ask what audiobooks and podcasts people are listening to while playing this game? salute to anyone who has just listened to 100 hours of battle screams instead

I don't tend to listen to other stuff specifically when I play games. This one in particular, I like how it sounds and I like the party banter. :shrug: However, I like synthwave music, and synthwave goes with everything, so try some synthwave. Scandroid has some cool stuff that has to do with robots and such, which might be apropos.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Future Connected is kind of hilarious in how it tacitly acknowledges everything that's hosed up and bad about the main game. Chain attacks making the rest of the combat system superfluous, inventory getting flooded with crystals and armor, the gem crafting being more tedious than fun, SP and affinity being annoying grinds -- all of it just gets removed entirely. It feels like it's practically an apology to the player.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TheKingofSprings posted:

In fairness that’s partially because 3/4 the men in the party are all people she knows personally, has known for a long time and set out to avenge her death in the first place.

It’s a flaw in the party structure you would likely need to either add another female character from that colony or swap the gender of someone in the party to solve.

It doesn't help that it seems like the primary way that Sharla wants to relate to Melia is by shipping her with Shulk and trying to push the two of them together.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Future Connected is kind of hilarious in how it tacitly acknowledges everything that's hosed up and bad about the main game. Chain attacks making the rest of the combat system superfluous, inventory getting flooded with crystals and armor, the gem crafting being more tedious than fun, SP and affinity being annoying grinds -- all of it just gets removed entirely. It feels like it's practically an apology to the player.

Clearly you haven’t collected all the Ponspectors yet. Max Ponspector attacks are absurdly powerful and basically required to beat the hardest enemy.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Something that dawned on me while playing Xeno 1 and constantly switching what character to control is that in Xeno2 I only ever played Rex till I got Morag and Zeke and then only ever played them. It really was not a good decision to have all characters work the exact same way with the only difference being some of them have faster animations for min/maxing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Its the same thing as Torna where it turns out there are just too many goshdarn systems and they don't add anything to the game so cutting them out just makes the game better. Like just not having piles of duplicate weapons and armor that only exists to be mass sold is such a nice change its crazy.

I also like that the "quiet moments" don't have anything I need to do so I can just enjoy reading them and not feel like I need to ace them and consider redoing them multiple times to see all the dialog permutations (which is how you find out Fiora is staunchly against welfare/UBI and gets riki to agree).

I hope Xenoblade 3 is just a good game out of the gate and I dont need to wait for a DLC campaign.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

multijoe posted:

Xeno 2 is awful with the whole harem setup between Rex, Pyra, Mythra and Nia, but it at least has Morag and Brighid who are cool.

Actually it's cool and good, much like Morag and Brighid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Xenoblade 1 is a good game but I think it got the praise it got for being many people’s first JRPG. Or at least the first since the one they half remember playing in the mid 90s

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Xenoblade 1 is a good game but I think it got the praise it got for being many people’s first JRPG. Or at least the first since the one they half remember playing in the mid 90s

It was the Quest 64 of the Wii except actually a decent game with some interesting stuff.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

multijoe posted:

One thing I have noticed on this playthrough is the game only just barely passes the bechdel test. Every major female character is defined by their attachments to men, to a ludicrous extent in Seven's case. Kinda sucks.

Yeah, this struck me too. This is a gigantic game that took me 80 hours to clear, and yet the characters are strangely shallow. There was ample time to develop the characters if they wanted to, but it just..never happens. (Some development may be in heart-to-hearts, but since those are optional, brief, and the majority are a pain to unlock, I don't count them.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Most games put character stuff in the optional events to not bog down the narrative.

Tales does this the best by having skits which usually have no plot relevance but let’s you watch your party do dumb bullshit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Most heart to hearts, even with riki, are about who wants to bang who like a bunch of catty highschoolers. The quiet moments in Future Connected are flat improvements

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Barudak posted:

Most heart to hearts, even with riki, are about who wants to bang who like a bunch of catty highschoolers. The quiet moments in Future Connected are flat improvements

me before reading this post: gotta keep putting riki in the party so that he can develop his affinity with other party members, even if it is a weird composition

me now: hmm, actually

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Riki has the best heart to hearts overall because its mostly goofy or dadly advice or both. One even has a payoff in future connected. He cant help it if other characters are like "boy riki, my guns overheating I wish it were Reyn Time"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CharlestheHammer posted:

One of the last Wii games released, and by chance and petition at that, available only through a single retailer, was probably not the first jrpg for the people who played it or followed Operation Rainfall and its trio of RPGs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Considering the things people praise about it are usually genre staples I stand by what I said

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Considering the things people praise about it are usually genre staples I stand by what I said

staples that it felt like the big names of the genre were drifting away from at the time. go back to contemporary impressions and it's people saying "wow, this feels more like an evolution of FFXII instead of the 'lol HD towns are hard' of FFXIII", not "wow, i've never played one of these before, this style of game is nifty!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Homora Gaykemi posted:

staples that it felt like the big names of the genre were drifting away from at the time. go back to contemporary impressions and it's people saying "wow, this feels more like an evolution of FFXII instead of the 'lol HD towns are hard' of FFXIII", not "wow, i've never played one of these before, this style of game is nifty!"

I’ve never heard the first but I’ve definitely heard the second.

Like I’ve heard wow this plays way different than any JRPG. Which unless you only played 90s JRPGs it really doesn’t it’s perfectly in line with its contemporaries.

The only thing it really does is embraces the Britishness

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Chronojam posted:

One of the last Wii games released, and by chance and petition at that, available only through a single retailer, was probably not the first jrpg for the people who played it or followed Operation Rainfall and its trio of RPGs.

True story I went to high school with someone who was a prominent member of oprainfall and he was loving weird.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's been weird going from DQ11 to FF7R to XB1 in the last few months. If you could combine the best of all 3 you'd have a great game. If you could combine the worst of all 3 you'd have FF7R. Hahahah..I loving hhaaaaaaaated that game more than any I've played in a long long time.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I just got Dunban in my party. I want to keep controlling Shulk for now. Should I replace Reyn? I know experienced players all hate Sharla, but I don’t think I’m good enough at the battle system yet to do without her healing. Shulk’s heal is really lovely.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Future connected: shulk says "did something catch your eye" and the subtitle says "what are you looking at?"

Ogmius815 posted:

I just got Dunban in my party. I want to keep controlling Shulk for now. Should I replace Reyn? I know experienced players all hate Sharla, but I don’t think I’m good enough at the battle system yet to do without her healing. Shulk’s heal is really lovely.

Shulks heal is really good but you are a little early for it to super take off. If you arent comfortable getting rid of sharla yet, you dont have to. Just be aware that slapping +50 agility on your tanks will make them massively more survivable and that as you get skills like heal on encourage or heal on chain attack what sharla brings to the table becomes less and less useful and her built in weaknesses become more and more of a problem.

By the time you get riki shes more of a hinderance than a help, especially as chain attacks become the way you rack up big damage but you want your parties affinity high to actually make use of them. In summary you can replace Reyn for now. Like Riki's one heal spell does everything you need Sharla to do and the little ball of fluff can bring the pain.

Actually now is a good time to take Shulk out of the party as the next few areas have no robots and 2/3rds of the zones dont have spike or aura enemies to worry about.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I miraculously got Zenobia early into my Xenoblade 2 replay. Her skills seem extremely good; like she's specifically tailored for hard fights.

Tiger Tiger is a bunch of dumb bullshit. Why don't they just break open the machine and take the parts that it's dispensing!

multijoe posted:

Xeno 2 is awful with the whole harem setup between Rex, Pyra, Mythra and Nia, but it at least has Morag and Brighid who are cool.

Morag/Brighid are bizarrely restrained in a game where the main love interest is literally both a tsundere and a "yamato nedeshiko" (I think this would describe Pyra's general personality) archetype at the same time; it's like they couldn't figure out which stereotype to go with so they just made the love interest into two separate people who each fit one of them. When I first played the game I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with Morag (like there being some scene where they make her wear a dress or something) and was pleasantly surprised when it never happened.

In general I like Morag and Zeke because they pretty realistically act like adults (even if one is a goofy adult) in this party where everyone else is a child (I don't know Nia's exact age, but she acts like she's around Rex's age).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Hopefully this is my last big XC1 question before I move onto XC2:

I've finally hit Chapter 17 and can explore the world again. I'm around level 70/71 and I've heard I should be a minimum of 77 to take on the final boss, but all the quests that seem to have opened up in the world are throwing me against Level 80+ monsters.

Did I somehow end up massively underleveled for this portion of the game? Is there a general strategy or somewhere I can powerlevel for this last chunk of the game to grab the final stuff I need and wrap it up, or do I just have to go grind low level poo poo with expert mode on for a while?

Edit: Am I supposed to go to Bionis Interior first before I do any of these? The option to go made it sound like it was going to close stuff off so I haven't done that yet.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 16, 2020