Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

Statistically speaking, if you have to be at a healthy bodyweight to be comfortable in/on a vehicle, that vehicle is marketable to only 30% of Americans, and that proportion is shrinking, not growing.

In conclusion, I WANT A drat SUPER FOUR, America is stupid.

loving hell I never thought of it this way. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: All the obese fucks on groms.

Edit: that is a really insightful point, though.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 15, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coydog posted:

Counterpoint: All the obese fucks on groms.

I still don't understand how that's a thing

e: because I was just thinking about that crash video the other day where two fat dudes on groms basically tip each other over

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
In my experience, minibikes attract mostly obese bigoted manchildren. Probably because they think it's size is a license to ignore all laws and safety.

The guy who bought my Grom turned out to be woke as hell and is a decent guy, which I was happy to see. Minibike adventure riders are also excluded, and tend to be chill.

Ironically, the supermoto guys are basically the same level of hooligans, but manage to be mostly great people and generally fit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The little Cessna 152 I fly has a total useful load of 477 pounds. With two adult American men of 2020 average weight (198lb each) and 20 pounds of gear, you can only carry enough fuel to legally fly for one hour.

People are fat fucks

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Slavvy posted:

loving hell I never thought of it this way. gently caress.

Like_just do it.avi

Kawasaki

Call one of the engineers you have styling the latest Sugumi nightmare, look into his dead, lifeless eyes and ask him to make it.

Suddenly, his brow changes, a spark dances. The once unmovable lips contort into a joker smile. For the first time in 10 years, Keishi Fukomoto, is happy.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

"Sumimasen, Could I try other bike?" He says, barely containing his Inmensurable joy:

mulligan fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 16, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Coydog posted:

In my experience, minibikes attract mostly obese bigoted manchildren. Probably because they think it's size is a license to ignore all laws and safety.

It doesn't really come through on a screencap, but a couple of these guys seemed genuinely annoyed I didn't yield my green arrow to them.

They all, of course, ran the light as soon as I cleared the intersection.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mulligan posted:

"Sumimasen, Could I try other bike?" He says, barely containing his I mensurable joy:

And then he sees the universal kawasaki p-twin jammed between the frame rails of his magnum opus and steps in front of the 22:44 Keihin-Tohoku rapid train to Yokohama.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Weirdly I see a lot of morbidly obese people riding Blackbirds. Or rather, a big proportion of obese riders are on Blackbirds, in London at any rate.

Maybe you need more oomph to cart your 200kg corpse around, though presumably a V-twin would be better.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

And then he sees the universal kawasaki p-twin jammed between the frame rails of his magnum opus and steps in front of the 22:44 Keihin-Tohoku rapid train to Yokohama.

In the tracks, a sudden buzz echoes trough his body, in one last attempt to live he opens his flip phone and decides to text his wife one last time, but an email gets to the screen before he can say goodbye :

"270 crank approved"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Toe Rag posted:

It doesn't really come through on a screencap, but a couple of these guys seemed genuinely annoyed I didn't yield my green arrow to them.

What kinda bike you got there?

Also lol I ended up with my local city chapter of mini/dual hooligans for a mile and it was funny. Dude up front is just doing ATV wheelies with no helmet on. Unfortunately my GoPro had died :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Toe Rag posted:

They were annoyed with you for sure. SOP for mini rides is to bomb through red lights without stopping. Line of cars waiting at the light? 60 minis filter at 50mph without stopping and surge through the intersection. You can't hop a curb to take the sidewalk like a sumo, either.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Rolo posted:

What kinda bike you got there?

It’s a Honda CB300R. Same design language as the CB650R you posted about in another thread, but not quite as good looking.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I thought I saw a little bit of the logo is why I asked. Those are pretty.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've hated just about every modern naked bike I ever laid eyes on.

And then this came along :swoon:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Shame it doesn't exist :lmao:

Goddamn Kawasaki edging us out with incremental developments; the zx25r doesn't have a bloody supercharger even though they have the technology to do it. How long do I have to wait!?

Seriously by the time they get around to building my dream machine it'll be cheaper to just go electric.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

Shame it doesn't exist :lmao:

Net positive for saving me from buying another bike!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

Weirdly I see a lot of morbidly obese people riding Blackbirds. Or rather, a big proportion of obese riders are on Blackbirds, in London at any rate.

Maybe you need more oomph to cart your 200kg corpse around, though presumably a V-twin would be better.

It’s the same with busas and zx14’s here. They are physically larger bikes so the riders probably feel and look a little less awkward on them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is a mini velo a valid choice for a city bike

The last three places we've lived, we were across the street from the grocery store, and also I've lived walking distance from my office. I'm not commuting much any more, but I do like to have a bike available to stretch my legs periodically. The problem with the new place, is that there's no dark corner to cram a bike when I'm not using it in the new house.

Also I'm thinking about a brompton? My old boss has a belt drive one and I think technically he owes me it. Folding bikes are kind of ick and weird but every time I've had to use one with 16" wheels they seemed durable enough.

The mini velo is just shy of 3' hub to hub, with 20" wheels is about 4.7'. My current GT 18 speed 700c road bike is ~5.7' long. Also the wheels are ~30" tall including rubber which makes it hard to lean against furniture. At least with the mini velo, the wheels are only ~22" high and should bang in to less poo poo. Also being a foot shorter overall should make it easier wheeling it through a narrow hallway, elevators etc.

I am a long time bike-haver, had 5 bikes at once at one point, done a couple of centuries, critical mass, group weekly group rides etc so I know generally how good a full size bike is. Is the mini velo too much of a compromise?

Also also, do quality folding pedals exist

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The last three places we've lived, we were across the street from the grocery store, and also I've lived walking distance from my office. I'm not commuting much any more, but I do like to have a bike available to stretch my legs periodically. The problem with the new place, is that there's no dark corner to cram a bike when I'm not using it in the new house.

Also I'm thinking about a brompton? My old boss has a belt drive one and I think technically he owes me it. Folding bikes are kind of ick and weird but every time I've had to use one with 16" wheels they seemed durable enough.

The mini velo is just shy of 3' hub to hub, with 20" wheels is about 4.7'. My current GT 18 speed 700c road bike is ~5.7' long. Also the wheels are ~30" tall including rubber which makes it hard to lean against furniture. At least with the mini velo, the wheels are only ~22" high and should bang in to less poo poo. Also being a foot shorter overall should make it easier wheeling it through a narrow hallway, elevators etc.

I am a long time bike-haver, had 5 bikes at once at one point, done a couple of centuries, critical mass, group weekly group rides etc so I know generally how good a full size bike is. Is the mini velo too much of a compromise?

:thunk:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

Yeah wrong forum whatever bieks is just motorcycles with the human as the engine these days. If I lived close to the supermarket I'd bicycle for most things.

Wait, I live a mile from the supermarket and I don't do that. Whatever.

Is that bike an ok fit? Is it a full size? The bars are so low compared to the seat. Problematic on a full size, but a mini?

Get the free bike from your boss and make it work. Also go to watch and weight ( I think) . They have a ton of bicycle specific threads. This here is the motorcycle forum. :)

edit: its "« Discussion › You Look Like poo poo" that has the bikes

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
just put a two stroke kit on it and then keep posting here

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Hadlock posted:

a brompton is a fine bike if you’re just city commuting. I wouldn’t call any of the folding bikes a “fun” bike, but they’re very good at being a compromise

a patient of mine in portland had one and I got to trade him for a day since he wanted to try my e bike. he got the better deal :D

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh this is the poorly named motorcycle thread

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I mean, it is in the motorcycle subforum, context is important

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah but from the bookmarks page that context is missing. Anyways, I'll post in the correct "bike" thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You could also read back like 1 post or so

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kramering in without looking back, then getting indignant about being smacked? Pretty normal for a cyclist.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Hadlock alway makes insane posts in the San Francisco thread. I was curious so I went and looked in YLLS and he is active in several bike threads so I don’t even know how he ended up here. :confused:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Kramering in without looking back, then getting indignant about being smacked? Pretty normal for a cyclist.

:drat:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well now if you see someone riding around San Fran on a day glo orange circus clown bike, you can shake your head in even greater shame.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hadlock posted:

New threat title right there

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow. I went out of my way to be nice and helpful too. This forum is accepting of oldwings. A folding bike question is even more welcome.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Judging by some photos I see on reddit, motorcycles can be folding bikes too.

I mean, only once, and it's really hard to unfold, but..

Also Hadlock is A Cool Dude so :cool:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Judging by some photos I see on reddit, motorcycles can be folding bikes too.

I mean, only once, and it's really hard to unfold, but..

Also Hadlock is A Cool Dude so :cool:

He'd have to be to pull off riding that bike in public.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Right, if I had to choose between the following, which is a better idea?

Energica EVA SS9

or

Zero SR/S ?

Uses:
Commuting 70 miles (35 each way) in Scotland every other day.
General faffing around in Scotland on my days off
Occasional rides down to England/Wales.

FYI I like the look of the Zero SR/F more than the /S but the /F has higher foot pegs and a more aggressive lean forward.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Right, if I had to choose between the following, which is a better idea?

Energica EVA SS9

or

Zero SR/S ?

Uses:
Commuting 70 miles (35 each way) in Scotland every other day.
General faffing around in Scotland on my days off
Occasional rides down to England/Wales.

FYI I like the look of the Zero SR/F more than the /S but the /F has higher foot pegs and a more aggressive lean forward.

Would either of those have the range to get down to Wales?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That seems like a really odd and nonspecific metric

Also the answer is no regardless of which bits of those countries you're thinking of, Gretna to Chester is like 130 miles of motorway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What is the bike were hit by lightning along the way?