Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Giant Ethicist posted:

I've tried Contrast both over a zenithal and over a pre-shade of something more or less like thinned-down Nuln Oil followed by a white drybrush, and the latter works much better:

That's 100% contrast. (And another thing Snakebite Leather is excellent at is doing a fair approximation of NMM gold straight out of the pot - it works better if you can add some highlights in light yellow and then white, but even if you can't be bothered, like I couldn't here, it works fine.)

I have the whole Death Guard side of Dark Imperium primed with a mix of death guard green and zandri dust and I've started highlighting a lot of it, but I still have some ways to go.

Now I just want to strip them all and restart them this way, because it looks CRAZY good for them sons o' Nurgle. :negative:

The Bee posted:

Yeah, agreed. The Command Phase seems like a great place to put more fiddly abilities so you don't forget about them and don't need to kludge them into other phases, but if you're going to get rid of Strength and Toughness you may as well get rid of wounds altogether IMO. They're already the klunkiest/least intuitive part of 40k IMO, and their main value comes from being a comparison between statlines (whereas To Hit is based on your unit and Saves are based on your opponent). Get rid of the comparative aspect, and what does the wound roll add?

I think my FLGS owner once told me it's a hangover from Warhammer's history as more closely tied to combat simulation as opposed to an abstracted battle game (which seems to be the direction most of the game systems are heading AFAIK).

e.g. A bullet would leave the gun (WS), it would then hit (strength of weapon) then the target could either have thick armour or dodge out of the way (toughness / armour saves). I think that's the main gist anyway, I've only played like three games so my knowledge is puny compared to some of the vets in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Grundma posted:

Which contrast did you use for the skintone? I have darkoath flesh and if I dont thin it relentlessly it comes out just looking like blotchy sunburns. Thinning it enough to avoid that makes it basically a more labor intensive flesh wash.

For the Iron Golem? That's about a 1:1:2 mix of Guilliman Flesh, Basilicanum Grey and contrast medium (it's really important to include medium when you mix contrast paints, as they go way too dark otherwise), with a 1:1 mix of Volupus Pink and medium blended out from where the metal bits would chafe. I do use Darkoath quite a bit, although I've found 2 thinnish (meaning controlled rather than actually thinned with medium) coats over a pre-shaded base works a lot better than just thick one, yeah. Gives a nice dark skintone:

(Seriously, if anyone wants me to move all this AoS-model-illustrated Contrast chat to the painting thread I'll happily do so.)

DrDraxium posted:

I have the whole Death Guard side of Dark Imperium primed with a mix of death guard green and zandri dust and I've started highlighting a lot of it, but I still have some ways to go.
Thanks - seriously, these guys took me like 2 days? I have a few death guard painted up in the "classic method" to look like Dusk Raiders, which I was going to use as a basis to expand into 9th edition, but these three guys I whapped out to use for Blackstone have me seriously rethinking that.

Looks real good, but man it's hard to go back to acrylics and blending and poo poo after figuring out how to make Contrasts work.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Talking about painting and posting pics is totally fine, but if you wanna have longer discussions about it, the paint thread might be a more appropriate place to post. That being said, I'm really impressed how all that is working out for you. Whenever I've tried Contrast over zenithal highlighting, I've found the paint tends to overpower the pre-shading I've done, and just kinda does the... Contrast thing.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crosspost from the mini painting thread:

JackMann posted:

Okay, trying some things out.

For each the yellow, the blue, and the gold, left or right?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

JackMann posted:

I like the right blue and yellow, but the gold on the left. The blue on the left might actually also work for me - but I'm really not feeling that yellow.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I kinda like the left side at a distance, but when I zoom the picture in, the yellow kinda starts leaning toward green in my mind. I like the warmth of the right side too, though.

I like the right side gold, but it doesn't contrast the yellow as well as the left side gold. I couldn't say which gold looks better on rest the body, though. The right gold would be a more vivid color, while the left is closer to GW boxart color. I think right side colors, and left side gold would be a totally great combo

Desfore fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 16, 2020

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I don’t think the Goobertown Guy was really talking about converting people with sincerely held racist views, his video was addressing people who “wish politics could be kept out of the hobby” but who don’t (perhaps don’t yet) have strong opinions on social justice because they are still blind to their privilege. People like that are important to speak to, otherwise they risk actually becoming one of the enemy.

If you watch the whole video he is pretty clear that people who sincerely hold intolerant beliefs must not be tolerated.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You some sort of anti-fascist-fascist?

No but really this hobby is pretty much a lightning rod for abhorrent views.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Since it doesn’t say anything about it in the faction focus, it seems like they didnt change the resurrection protocols much, which is a shame. The implementation has been such a millstone around the neck of the necrons in 8th. It obviously has to be costed at something, but since it’s easy to circumvent by many armies, it ends up making all their units cost too much points-wise. I guess the new turtle on stilts helps some, maybe other new stuff will too but it doesn’t change the fundamental problem of units being killed to man easily, making their main gimmick completely useless. Well, I’m still holding out hope for a substantial change, despite it not being mentioned.

They're talking right now about things specifically in the box, in the context of the very start of 9th when you'll mostly be using the current codex + an errata to fix anything that flat doesn't work in 9th + the datasheets in the box. Any changes to something like RP would come in a codex, which is going to be a little further down the line - though probably the first or second of the edition since Crons are a big feature right now.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

I'm sure the guy knows what he is talking about, being a best in faction player, but it also really feels like he was restricted to only talking about already revealed changes when writing this.

Were 8e necrons really held back by a lack of cp to spend on their 2 good stratagems?

Also lol at "Warriors were the mainstay of many Necron lists"

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just opened my first ever Plague Marine box. Jesus, there's some awesomely disgusting stuff on these models. The pictures on the GW site don't do them justice.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 16, 2020

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got another overlord done!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I love the colouring on that blade, getting that sort of effect on my Grey Knight weapons is still a pain in the arse for me.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Deptfordx posted:

Speaking of, I'm still going to be furloughed for the next couple of months minimum and I'm thinking about stripping and repainting my older models.

I know Simple Green always gets talked about, but I'm not sure that's easily available in the UK. What's the best British equivalent.

I’ve always used Flash cleaner. Leave the minis in it for a day, then scrub them with an old toothbrush.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Kitchner posted:

I love the colouring on that blade, getting that sort of effect on my Grey Knight weapons is still a pain in the arse for me.

For what it's worth I spent almost as much time on the purple as the rest of the model combined. :v:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

ro5s posted:

I’ve always used Flash cleaner. Leave the minis in it for a day, then scrub them with an old toothbrush.

Good to know. I have a stash of Fairy Power Spray from before they changed the recipe, will need an alternative when I eventually run out.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I wanna try this pre-wash Grey Seer gimmick on a Primaris, see what it does to Power Armour - Wondering if I thin the Nuln sufficiently whether it'll not pool on the flat plates.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

R0ckfish posted:

For what it's worth I spent almost as much time on the purple as the rest of the model combined. :v:

I'd have preferred it if you told me there was one weird old trick you used to do it in five minutes that you could have shared with me!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Kitchner posted:

I'd have preferred it if you told me there was one weird old trick you used to do it in five minutes that you could have shared with me!

R0ckfish is chained up in a basement and only gets protein slurry when he posts well painted minis.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
“It puts the shade in the recess or it gets the hose again.”

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
NGL this Contrast guide is making me wanna paint some Necrons

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Shockeh posted:

I wanna try this pre-wash Grey Seer gimmick on a Primaris, see what it does to Power Armour - Wondering if I thin the Nuln sufficiently whether it'll not pool on the flat plates.

Hm, tempted to the same. Although I might do it on a Chaos marine as I only have Blue and Black contrast paints so far.
Although I do need to paint a Black Templar at some point. (If I could really need a Primaris chainsword for that.)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

xtothez posted:

I've always done this but just with a glaze. Works great. Glazes are awesome.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

xtothez posted:

I like to do this same trick but with nihilakh oxide or a glaze like gulliman blue or blood drinker (I think that's the name of it, the red one)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-unitfocusJUN16

Article on bikes up. Just posting it, don't bother reading it because it doesn't say anything new or useful.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

That is weird. Not even a stat-line.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So Rough Riders have gone to the Emperor's Happy Hunting Ground and back through that veil they shall passeth not but does anyone know if the DKoK Death Riders are going to be likewise removed?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gunder posted:

That is weird. Not even a stat-line.

Going by the WarCom twitter there is supposed to be stats but a servitor must've messed up somewhere.

Edit: Now there's stats:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 16, 2020

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, 14 inch move and 4 wounds? Nice

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

jng2058 posted:

Hard to say, because with 9th right around the corner, we don't know all the new rules, and while we know that points are going up across the board, we don't know by how much on a per unit basis. So that army will definitely be out of date once 9th hits, but by how many points? Who knows? :shrug:

Furthermore, you're using the new Serberys and Pteraxii units that no one's had a chance to play with yet, making analysis even more difficult.

And finally, while I've dipped my toes into AdMech, I'm primarily a Guard/Knights/Marines player. So take what I'm saying here with a grain of salt. These are more impressions I've gotten than playtested truths.

So with all that in mind, here's what I've got:

1) I don't like the way you're using your Robots there. Robots are great, but they really need mass to be effective, and they need to have a Datasmith to make them usable. Two 'Bots without a 'Smith doesn't seem worth the effort, especially as all gun 'Bots since you'll never get them back out of Protector Protocol, but Protector is where they want to be for GUNSGUNSGUNS. I'd either commit to the Robot gunline and get more 'Bots and a 'Smith or drop them entirely.

2) Dunecrawlers have that supporting force field rule that makes them harder to kill if you keep them close together. Having two Dunecrawlers is great. Having two with different main weapons so that you want to move them apart for weapon efficiency purposes but you also want to keep them together for defensive purposes is not. I'd pick one main gun and stick with it. Personally, I like the reliability of the Neutron Lasers, but the sheer number of shots and bonuses to hit against fliers has made the Icarus Array popular in competitive AdMech lists. That said, in 9th edition people won't be able to stack multiple -1s to hit anymore, so having a dedicated anti-air platform or two may no longer be as necessary as it was in late 8th.

3) I wouldn't sleep on the Taser Lances on your Dragoons. Those are some of the meanest melee weapons AdMech can get. By comparison, the Jezzails have the same problem that most sniper weapons do...lovely AP. The characters you most want to kill with them will tend to shrug your attacks off with decent armor saves (unless you're going after like Guard officers or something).

4) I'd go with Belleros for both of your Skorpius. Not only is it cheaper, but it lets you double down on something that AdMech have a hard time getting otherwise...indirect fire. Two Belleros firing at the same target is a great way to scrape an enemy Troop choice off an objective you can't see.

Finally, I'd recommend you read this article on Goonhammer: https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-adeptus-mechanicus-tactics/. I don't always agree with them....I think they're underrating Neutron Lasers, for instance...but their advice is generally sound and well reasoned.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I guess I should have said I want to test out the new stuff cause they look cool but you're right about the robots, I just only have two right now. I was gonna keep the dune crawlers together for the bonus. The biggest thing was my troop selection, it's either decent models with low model count or crappy models with high model count. My friend and I haven't been playing with cards yet so mobility isn't super super important yet

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

xtothez posted:

God this looks so simple after Rubric Marines, I may have picked a bad army to start learning to paint with but they look fun to play.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

Going by the WarCom twitter there is supposed to be stats but a servitor must've messed up somewhere.

Edit: Now there's stats:

It's just what I figured (essentially a bike's stats, doubled wounds) however it's still good depending on how much more will it cost. If it's twice the cost of normal bikers, I don't think it'll be worth it on the extra wounds alone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spudd posted:

God this looks so simple after Rubric Marines, I may have picked a bad army to start learning to paint with but they look fun to play.

They're a great army to play and paint. Don't sweat it too much. Rubrics are probably a great first army to paint as well since they're pretty big, have lots of raised bits and detail. You'll learn a lot more! You can also afford to spend a bit more time on them since they're pretty elite, which is a big help when learning.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Thanks! Gray Seer, but the pre-shade wash* and white drybrush covers it up pretty heavily, so in practice I could probably use basically any light-colored undercoat.

A different model, but here's how my stuff looks before the Contrast starts going down:

(Also here's that same guy showing how Snakebite Leather with some minimal and TBH pretty random yellow and white highlights makes a very workable NMM gold - same for Basilicanum Gray and grey /white highlights for steel.)

*Nuln Oil thinned a bit with medium would work, but because I have to make everything difficult I mix something out of Vallejo black ink, Vallejo smoke and matte medium.

(Sorry they're not-thread-appropriate AoS models - I don't have any process pics of 40K stuff.)

Thanks dude, this is awesome! Gonna try out a few variations ah what I have and see what works best.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

Giant Ethicist posted:

Thanks! Gray Seer, but the pre-shade wash* and white drybrush covers it up pretty heavily, so in practice I could probably use basically any light-colored undercoat.

A different model, but here's how my stuff looks before the Contrast starts going down:

(Also here's that same guy showing how Snakebite Leather with some minimal and TBH pretty random yellow and white highlights makes a very workable NMM gold - same for Basilicanum Gray and grey /white highlights for steel.)

*Nuln Oil thinned a bit with medium would work, but because I have to make everything difficult I mix something out of Vallejo black ink, Vallejo smoke and matte medium.

(Sorry they're not-thread-appropriate AoS models - I don't have any process pics of 40K stuff.)

Awesome, I've got some guard to paint, going to try this out for them.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Schadenboner posted:

So Rough Riders have gone to the Emperor's Happy Hunting Ground and back through that veil they shall passeth not but does anyone know if the DKoK Death Riders are going to be likewise removed?

I don't think anyone really knows what is going to happen to DKoK at all honestly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I guess we'll sort of find out when FW reopens the store tomorrow.

Edit:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/16/faction-focus-space-marines/
Faction focus for Marines sees the Thunderfire Cannon being declared good (again?).

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 16, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cooked Auto posted:

I guess we'll sort of find out when FW reopens the store tomorrow.

Edit:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/16/faction-focus-space-marines/
Faction focus for Marines sees the Thunderfire Cannon being declared good (again?).

Thunderfires have been good since the new codex last summer. There's a reason they were in nearly every competitive Marine list for the last year. The fact that they can now move and shoot without penalty and can benefit from the new Blasts rule, just makes them even more of an auto-include... unless the point cost had gone through the roof or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jng2058 posted:

Thunderfires have been good since the new codex last summer. There's a reason they were in nearly every competitive Marine list for the last year. The fact that they can now move and shoot without penalty and can benefit from the new Blasts rule, just makes them even more of an auto-include... unless the point cost had gone through the roof or something.

A buddy of mine went through some epic eBay adventures to get a couple and now strongly suspects plastic versions are around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

So, between here and various other places I asked the question, it seems most people prefer the right blue and yellow, with a fairly even split on the gold.

The right was all done with contrast. The blue is Tallasar blue over Vallejo chrome, the gold is Nazdreg Yellow over the same, and the yellow is Iyanden yellow over grey seer.

The left was done with traditional paints. The blue is Thousand Sons blue, washed with Drakenhof Nightshade and highlighted with Ahriman Blue. The gold is done with Scale75's Metal and Alchemy gold set. The yellow is S75 Sol Yellow washed with Seraphim Sepia.

I'll definitely continue with the contrast methods for the blue and the yellow. I'll have to think on the gold.