Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

keep punching joe posted:

Well done Keir Sturmer forcing this humiliating turnaround by simply doing gently caress all and not mentioning it.

The Mirror has coverage here of him raising it in Parliament: link when the Tories first confirmed they were definitely scrapping it.

His twitter timeline has tons of posts and retweets about it, including supporting Rashford's letter.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1272495560898097152

Here's a video of him raising it during PMQs a week ago:
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1272186533131493376

Here's a link to Labour's campaign on the topic:
https://action.labour.org.uk/page/content/holidays-without-hunger

Oh, and he felt it was an important enough a topic to burn one of their limited number Opposition Day debates on the subject. I suspect the prospect of having to sit through a debate today, in combination with all the publicity caused by Rashford's appeal, was a factor in the government deciding to cave in to avoid an entire day of humiliation in parliament.

So he's tweeted about it, he's raised questions directly in PMQs, he's used the party's parliamentary time to force a debate on the issue, and the party started a petition campaign on the topic, which he supported - this isn't "doing gently caress all and not mentioning it".

I'm getting flashbacks to when Corbyn was in charge, and all the blue ticks were saying "where is Corbyn on <insert topic here>???!" and we were all sitting ITT and saying "he's been talking about this all week".
Can we please have a little perspective on how terrible Keir Starmer is? He is, unsurprisingly, not in favour of starving children this summer.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nice :lol:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

justcola posted:

I signed up to Twitter so I could follow interesting people but most of it just aggravates the gently caress out of me so I'm going to delete it. Don't know how people can go on it every day.

Is social media making us all bottoms?

Funny, I just deleted my Facebook account, and reinstalled Twitter after a few years without it. I guess it's about how you tailor your feed, I'm now slowly getting rid of all melts and blocking even terribler people early and often. So I'm left with useful info from Correct people, it's still a good tool for listening and learning. But part of that does come from the good people dunking on the terrible people, so you end up reading the latter anyway.

E: part of the problem before was having joined Twitter early and following famous people for fun, then never getting round to deleting them when they turn out to be liberals, very sensible liberals, or fash. Notable survivors so far: Alex Winter, Colin Mochrie and of course Michael Rosen.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 16, 2020

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, the BBC News at 1 even managed to get a little bit of RLB in there talking about how essential it is.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It must be really freeing to have the confidence to spout out any old bollocks without having to think if you're correct or not.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, I just tried to eat a [cooked] frozen pizza, but the packaging had obviously been open and it was stale.
The base was like bread-cheesecake, while the topping congealed into a lumpy, brittle, formless sheet that slid off the base whenever I took a bite.

Having waited ~20 minutes while it was in the oven, I'm declaring this my food disaster of the week. And I've ordered Subway, 'cos I can't be arsed 'making' lunch again.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

bessantj posted:

It must be really freeing to have the confidence to spout out any old bollocks without having to think if you're correct or not.

The worst are the people going "bootstraps!" in the comments because they've had tough times but always managed to put food on the table. Therefore everyone else must be spending their money on "lip filler and fags". QED.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

I know counter-factuals and hypotheticals are completely useless and inane, but it's amazing to think of how a Corbyn government would have been treated if it had churned out this many gaffes and u-turns (and deaths) in the last six months.

Would have been nice if Corbyn had stayed on as Leader though.
"Told ya so" made flesh.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Bobstar posted:

Funny, I just deleted my Facebook account, and reinstalled Twitter after a few years without it. I guess it's about how you tailor your feed, I'm now slowly getting rid of all melts and blocking even terribler people early and often. So I'm left with useful info from Correct people, it's still a good tool for listening and learning. But part of that does come from the good people dunking on the terrible people, so you end up reading the latter anyway.

E: part of the problem before was having joined Twitter early and following famous people for fun, then never getting round to deleting them when they turn out to be liberals, very sensible liberals, or fash. Notable survivors so far: Alex Winter, Colin Mochrie and of course Michael Rosen.

I dunno how anyone can put up with Twitter or social media as a whole. Guess I've been living with my head up my arse for 32 years with regards to just how tragically awful and repulsive the views of of people in this country are once you give them a platform and a megaphone that sounds across the whole world. Just reading some of the responses to those tweets about school dinners during summer were utterly revolting. I'm ashamed to be sharing this dying rock with them. :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Who are the "many socially conservative and economically radical young activists"? Like even when I was younger and didn't know poo poo about poo poo re: economics and governance or systemic effects, I still couldn't see the point in social conservatism. How do you get to the stage of having radical economic ideas as a young person in 2020 and still give a poo poo about what LGBT people are up to or think the drug war is a good idea?

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 16, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never seen literally zero likes and just like 50 people yelling before.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Prince John posted:

The worst are the people going "bootstraps!" in the comments because they've had tough times but always managed to put food on the table. Therefore everyone else must be spending their money on "lip filler and fags". QED.

No doubt it'll be getting a bit Four Yorkshiremen in the comments.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1272766990294355968?s=19

Lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The red line just bombing off the bottom of the preview image is Extremely Good

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

DeadButDelicious posted:

I dunno how anyone can put up with Twitter or social media as a whole. Guess I've been living with my head up my arse for 32 years with regards to just how tragically awful and repulsive the views of of people in this country are once you give them a platform and a megaphone that sounds across the whole world. Just reading some of the responses to those tweets about school dinners during summer were utterly revolting. I'm ashamed to be sharing this dying rock with them. :smith:

Yeah you need a fairly high tolerance/resignedness to that kind of thing, and using this thread as a "best of" may well be a better idea.

But if this thread helped radicalise me economically, Twitter helped move me socially away from a floppy "can't we all just get along" just by listening to people and reading articles and books I wouldn't have found otherwise. Re-watching ER during this lockdown reminds me of the lackluster sources of education on, say, trans and race issues that the mainstream media/entertainment provides. Like I know ER ran from 1994-2009, but I keep wanting to bake them an "At Least You Tried" cake...

Facebook on the other hand was just a dull catalogue of everyone I'd ever met.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Young members for a Blue Labour revival. It is time to revive Labour’s radical traditions of Work, Family and Tradition for a new generation.
Ah, that famous tradition, Tradition.

We're against scroungers, chav mums and queers, and things that aren't Traditional*.

*white

posting about posters maybe but :lol::lol::golfclap:
https://twitter.com/mehall/status/1272884529590603784

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

The red line just bombing off the bottom of the preview image is Extremely Good

Yeah I had a good laugh at that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Spangly A posted:

I'm not sure just when the footballers started really understanding how to flex political muscle but holy poo poo I love it. Organising this right as the clubs are about to return and the government need the circuses back was fantastic

It was when Matt Hancock decided to try using them as scapegoats to deflect criticism from himself during his pandemic briefings.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DickEmery posted:

Would have been nice if Corbyn had stayed on as Leader though.
"Told ya so" made flesh.

If Corbyn were still leader, we'd have seen the most amazing of takes and mental knots from the media attempting to defend the Tories actions. And obviously never ever concede that they were wrong, or that Corbyn was right.

Semi-related:
https://twitter.com/epiplexis_/status/1272892739185672194

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, that famous tradition, Tradition.

We're against scroungers, chav mums and queers, and things that aren't Traditional*.

*white

posting about posters maybe but :lol::lol::golfclap:
https://twitter.com/mehall/status/1272884529590603784

I liked posting that one, but the favourite take I found was this one

https://twitter.com/TheStuffOfMemes/status/1272878839136485379?s=19

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That's got to be Poe's Law, right?

Then again, we live in the hell reality where ACTIVATE, Drugstore Culture, and Change UK were a thing so who the gently caress knows. :lol:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if I wanted to I could register not-that-young-anymore guillotine-everybody-labour and claim I was a large group of activists across the UK and beyond.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My exposure to twitter is exclusively this thread. You lot are my filter so i only see the crème de la crème of twitter, thank u for you're sacrifice

Just so you're aware, despite this threads focus, Twitter is not 95% Weetman, 5% Glinner/pissflaps being anti-trans. It also has capybara gif accounts

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
Beyond what leaks through from this thread my twitter experience is 90% cute animals and people telling jokes of varying quality.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
When i said crème de la crème i was talking from the perspective of someone who is aggressively lactose intolerant

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Pesky Splinter posted:

"The Maybots always were a bit twitchy. That could never happen now with our behavioral inhibitors. It is now possible for me, by omission of action, to allow to human beings to be harmed. " ~ Keir Starbot

I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
- the Tory brain

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

err posted:

A bunch of UK drill rappers that got probation after serving sentences got in trouble for expressing support for BLM or participating in protests. Daily reminder that the UK is a police state.

Dutchavelli

Digga D

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if I wanted to I could register not-that-young-anymore guillotine-everybody-labour and claim I was a large group of activists across the UK and beyond.

I'll set up the twitter account. You can manage the wiki.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's got to be Poe's Law, right?

Then again, we live in the hell reality where ACTIVATE, Drugstore Culture, and Change UK were a thing so who the gently caress knows. :lol:

The last tweet in the thread specifically mentions defending the party from liberals, if it's not a straight-up troll I wonder if it's a Turning Point USA or similar astroturf account, given that using liberal to mean leftist is a peculiarly USA-ian term AFAIK.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just so you're aware, despite this threads focus, Twitter is not 95% Weetman

This is not true, and is a trap set by Tetsuo Tweetman to add more mass to its biomechanical matrix.

Archaeology Hat posted:

Beyond what leaks through from this thread my twitter experience is 90% cute animals and people telling jokes of varying quality.

See, I only see Twitter filtered through this thread and it's a blasted hellscape in which people with apparently infinite free time scream at each other. I think Charlie Brooker said that Twitter is a video game, and he's right; it gamifies discourse into a series of likes and LOLs and owns and yet it's seen by some as a space in which legitimate political activisim and journalism can take place. And yeah I can just about see how that's possible, but I'd have to have radical brain surgery before I could engage on that level

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1272770743584133120?s=20

ah yes, late 2019, the advent of viral posts

like has he actually looked at the graph he posted?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jippa posted:

I only survive twitter by curating who I follow to a tiny amount of decent people. It's really not worth it. Just let other people sift through the poo poo and post interesting stuff here.

I only follow Ash Sarkar and Unite :(

XMNN posted:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1272770743584133120?s=20

ah yes, late 2019, the advent of viral posts

like has he actually looked at the graph he posted?

Reminded of when Laura K tried to define what shitposting was (and seems her wrong definition was taken up by the government in terms of graphic design since, strange that)

Prince John posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to when Corbyn was in charge, and all the blue ticks were saying "where is Corbyn on <insert topic here>???!" and we were all sitting ITT and saying "he's been talking about this all week".
Can we please have a little perspective on how terrible Keir Starmer is? He is, unsurprisingly, not in favour of starving children this summer.

Fair do's, I just think with him mostly appearing to back the government on other issues or being silent on others, one would be forgiven in thinking that children must starve whilst negotiations are ongoing.

The Theresa May comparison seems a bit apt in that the media fawned over them at first and being 'adults in the room' but they end up being an obelisk of attempting to please everyone/no-one.

justcola fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 16, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

justcola posted:

obelisk of attempting to please everyone/no-one.

Ah, the early NOD prototype that was a disaster on the battlefield

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ah, the early NOD prototype that was a disaster on the battlefield

Theresla coil?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's kinda weird how as you get older you start to think maybe kane was the good guy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's kinda weird how as you get older you start to think maybe kane was the good guy.

IIRC, it ended up turning out that he really was.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, it ended up turning out that he really was.

I never really played the later ones but it's hard not to look at the early games as like, GDI propaganda to justify why they totally had to leave Africa to get turned into tiberium so they could mine it to feed the economy of northern Europe.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

For those of you old enough, after 40 how much of your time is spent deciding if a nose hair has gotten too long?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/RebootedStef/status/1272831076336107520?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

justcola posted:

I only follow Ash Sarkar and Unite :(

Ash is great but as you probably know she just gets the worst people constantly attacking her. I couldn't really handle all that either.