Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay goons I have an equipment question that isn’t about buying but rather making equipment.

I would like to build a sneeze barrier into a folding table

One that is mounted so that it doesn’t get blown over by the wind

One that folds down for storage and folds up as a vertical barrier for eating with a friend

I see plenty of 2x3 acrylic sneeze guards on Amazon

Does anyone have experience working with acrylic? I heard it cracks easily from screws. I was thinking of gently drilling holes and then using nuts and bolts to install door hinges onto it. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Does anyone have experience working with acrylic? I heard it cracks easily from screws. I was thinking of gently drilling holes and then using nuts and bolts to install door hinges onto it. What do you guys think?
Yeah, just trying to drive a screw into acrylic will crack it. Drilling and bolting would work in terms of physically attaching a hinge, but depending on the thickness of the acrylic I'd still be worried about it cracking around the hinge. You can get acrylic hinges which you can bond to acrylic sheet with acrylic cement, and that'll result in a joint that's a strong as the acrylic itself. Might be overkill if the sheet isn't that heavy though.

That all said, a sneeze guard isn't a vapour barrier and I would under no circumstances rely on one to save me from and airborne infectious disease.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
But say, combine that with only eating outdoors, do you think it would be an acceptably low risk with a 75 year old mom

(Nobody will get sued or blamed)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

But say, combine that with only eating outdoors, do you think it would be an acceptably low risk with a 75 year old mom

(Nobody will get sued or blamed)
I mean my concern wouldn't be getting sued or blamed, my concern would be with infecting the 75 with a disease that has a CFR in 70-79 year olds of somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 in 20. I would not rely on a 2x3 piece of acrylic to mitigate that risk. I can't quantify a risk analysis here because as far as I know there isn't any data on the effectiveness of a sneeze guard in this particular scenario but me, personally, I'd err on the side of caution.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Welp, guess I’ll just sit a lot farther away instead then

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Wear a mask anytime you are not eating and sit at a seperate table. Have only one person making and serving food. Doing that will go a lot further than a sneeze guard. Also, masks work great as sneeze guards, you might even think thats what they are designed for! Also, wear a mask.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well yeah what we’ve been doing so far is that I would visit on the weekends and she’d make dinner and would sit at the patio table and I’d sit in a chair several feet further away, downwind, and we’d use disposable dinnerware and I’d eat out of my lap. I always keep a mask on and keep my distance otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, and I think (part of) the problem is that we just really don't know what is enough. Cloth masks and maintaining a two meter distance isn't a guarantee of safety or anything like that. They're more or less the minimum standard, and that's for unavoidable/necessary contact, like going out to get food and poo poo like that.

Like this afternoon my girlfriend and I did some gardening. This time of year the yard gets sand fleas, so if we're going to be spending a lot of time in the garden we'll apply DEET. It's dispensed out of a plastic bottle with an atomiser that basically produces little water droplets full of DEET. When my girlfriend was using the DEET bottle I could smell it from across the patio and around the corner of the house. Now I have no idea what my nose's sensitivity to DEET is compared a dangerous viral load of COVID-19 in a respiratory droplet, and I have no idea what the aerial dispersion of DEET mist versus COVID-19 looks like. So I'm not trying to say it's a 1:1 comparison or anything. But if someone is pumping a bottle of DEET across the patio and around the corner of the house from me I'd absolutely normally think yeah there's no chance of any of that getting on me. But on the other hand I guarantee that some of it ended up in my lungs (or at least my nose).

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

therobit posted:

Where do you think is a good place to buy them?

I'm in the UK and got them from John Lewis.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If you still want to make a folding sneeze guard, try putting tape on either side of the acrylic or plexiglass before drilling. Also, use a lower speed setting and make sure your bit is sharp.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

TJ Maxx, Ross, Homegoods and similar stores

There were 3 different times I was going to buy an All Clad saute pan from Homegoods, but every time there were 37 people in line for the register and I had places to be :smith:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I've been looking for a smaller deep frying vessel so I don't need to use so much oil when just cooking for myself. A 6qt dutch oven is a bit much...
It looks like a 2 - 3 qt cast iron saucepan will be best fit for my needs. Such as this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBJV44

Another product I had thought about was this 9" wok from Lodge: https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Inch-Cast-Iron-Handles/dp/B073Q2PMPJ but it feels too shallow.

Anyone have alternative suggestions or thoughts?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

That 9” wok just looks like “grease fire: the product”

Like, even the stock photos have it used as just a bowl for bibimbap

Hauki
May 11, 2010

lmao, a 9" wok?

that's just, like, a bowl

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

.Z. posted:

Another product I had thought about was this 9" wok from Lodge: https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Inch-Cast-Iron-Handles/dp/B073Q2PMPJ but it feels too shallow.

Amazon posted:

This mini server is seasoned and ready to use.

If you want a small fryer the fry daddy is probably what you want. Or like, a pan.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

.Z. posted:

I've been looking for a smaller deep frying vessel so I don't need to use so much oil when just cooking for myself. A 6qt dutch oven is a bit much...
It looks like a 2 - 3 qt cast iron saucepan will be best fit for my needs. Such as this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBJV44

Anyone have alternative suggestions or thoughts?

Yeah an enameled high walled saucepan is exactly what you need, the first one is a good choice. Don't deep fry in anything with angled walls IMO.

e: that 9" wok is probably just for hot-serving things and not really for cooking with.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah an enameled high walled saucepan is exactly what you need, the first one is a good choice. Don't deep fry in anything with angled walls IMO.
Nah, a wok is a really good vessel for frying poo poo in, but you do want a full-sized one for that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SubG posted:

Nah, a wok is a really good vessel for frying poo poo in, but you do want a full-sized one for that.

Yeah sorry I guess I meant don't use a frying pan etc with angled sides.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

e: that 9" wok is probably just for hot-serving things and not really for cooking with.

Agreed. I do my deep frying in a 4 quart staub. I had tried once in a cast iron skillet and just made a huge loving mess - you really need high sides to have any hope.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Fellow stove top pressure cooker fans, how often do you do a detail clean of your lid, valves, etc? My Vitaquick had a sealing issue yesterday, which tells me I haven't been doing it often enough, but I'm not sure what the right frequency is.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I don't know how difficult or the set up is like on your model, but for me with an instant pot, unless I am making rice or something like, I just pop out the silicone seal, rinse it, give the inner lid a quick wipe and thats it. While process only takes like a minute to do.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

swickles posted:

I don't know how difficult or the set up is like on your model, but for me with an instant pot, unless I am making rice or something like, I just pop out the silicone seal, rinse it, give the inner lid a quick wipe and thats it. While process only takes like a minute to do.

I pull the silicone ring out and put it and the rest of the lid in the dishwasher - it's actually okay by the manufacturer.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SubG posted:

Lodge does make a bigger wok. I was thinking of getting one so that I could do stir fry dishes on my induction range but I'm not convinced it'll work well enough to be worth spending $50-60 to try

Hauki
May 11, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I pull the silicone ring out and put it and the rest of the lid in the dishwasher - it's actually okay by the manufacturer.

I hand wash the ring & lid each time I use it. Mine specifically says never to submerge or dishwash due to the valve.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
FYI the jiggler and pressure release valves on the instant pot lid can be disassembled and removed for cleaning. I didn’t know this for the first couple years I had it.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

FYI the jiggler and pressure release valves on the instant pot lid can be disassembled and removed for cleaning. I didn’t know this for the first couple years I had it.

[joke=]ALWAYS RTFM[/joke]

In all honesty, the Instant Pot was one of my best purchases ever. Making tons of stock alone from roaster chickens and the odd turkey with veggie scraps has probably paid for it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Lodge does make a bigger wok. I was thinking of getting one so that I could do stir fry dishes on my induction range but I'm not convinced it'll work well enough to be worth spending $50-60 to try

It will not be worth it. Fundamentally what makes the wok special is the large, high powered burner that heats a huge surface area at once. If you don't have a high btu burner, there's no real point in the wok.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SpannerX posted:

In all honesty, the Instant Pot was one of my best purchases ever. Making tons of stock alone from roaster chickens and the odd turkey with veggie scraps has probably paid for it.

I still just make stock on the stove if only so that my apartment smells amazing for the day. Instant pot might be faster and easier, but it doesn't make my whole day slightly better. Maybe now that it is summer and I want to avoid keeping things in the kitchen on I'll start leaning on it more.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My pressure cooker is a Fissler Vitaquick, so disassembling it enough to put the lid in the dishwasher means removing the main silicone gasket, the handle, the "Euromatic" jiggler valve, the membrane that drives the pressure indicator, and a couple other o-rings. Doing that after every meal seems like it would go through o-rings a lot faster than just leaving them alone except for a splash of soapy water and a hand rinse, so I'm trying to figure out a reasonable preventive maintenance routine.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 16, 2020

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

SpannerX posted:

I thought my first one was dumb as hell the first year after someone gave it to me because they were just like "You toss frozen ribs and a bottle of BBQ sauce in there and it's great!" so I thought that's all it was good for (and it wasn't great).

Now, yeah, it's a stock and beans making machine. I want to sell my 6qt and buy an 8qt.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

I still just make stock on the stove if only so that my apartment smells amazing for the day. Instant pot might be faster and easier, but it doesn't make my whole day slightly better. Maybe now that it is summer and I want to avoid keeping things in the kitchen on I'll start leaning on it more.

I get you there, that makes sense. I'm just lazy and like using the IP. I really should start trying some more complex recipes in it though. I literally do stock, baked beans, and stews, with the odd risotto, though usually the wife does that on the stove instead.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Anyone have preferences for sealed burners vs open burners on a new range?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

It will not be worth it. Fundamentally what makes the wok special is the large, high powered burner that heats a huge surface area at once. If you don't have a high btu burner, there's no real point in the wok.
Not true at all. You can use woks for all kinds of cooking. For example we're talking about using a wok as a deep fryer. You do not need a high output burner for deep frying. I routinely use a wok for 干煸四季豆/gan bian si ji dou. Never get the wok over a medium heat. 鱼香茄子/fish fragrant eggplant? Get that wok too hot and you'll absolutely gently caress up your eggplant. And on and on.

And even if you are doing something where you need high heat--like if you just heard the term wok hei on the internet and have become convinced for some reason it's the one single thing that a wok is for--you can still manage it on even a fairly anemic American residential range. You just need to be more careful about getting the cooking surface hot before adding the food, work in small batches, and so on. You know, the same as you'd do for literally any cooking surface on the same range.

Seriously. Everybody stop spreading this nonsense about how woks only work if you've got a jet engine in your kitchen.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Forrest from the trees here. A cast iron wok is not going to adjust to heat as fast as carbon.

E - that 9" wok does look like an awesome serving bowl for something that doesn't need to be drank from the bowl.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 16, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Forrest from the trees here. A cast iron wok is not going to adjust to heat as fast as carbon.
...which actually makes them great for deep frying. See also the cast iron karahi.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh yeah I agree for deep frying. Just not really a traditional wok regarding how to cook with it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Oh yeah I agree for deep frying. Just not really a traditional wok regarding how to cook with it.
Not...really. I mean if you mean specifically that wee Lodge thing then yeah, that's more of a wok-themed serving dish than a wok. But cast iron woks are a super loving traditional cooking vessel.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SubG posted:

Not true at all. You can use woks for all kinds of cooking. For example we're talking about using a wok as a deep fryer. You do not need a high output burner for deep frying. I routinely use a wok for 干煸四季豆/gan bian si ji dou. Never get the wok over a medium heat. 鱼香茄子/fish fragrant eggplant? Get that wok too hot and you'll absolutely gently caress up your eggplant. And on and on.

And even if you are doing something where you need high heat--like if you just heard the term wok hei on the internet and have become convinced for some reason it's the one single thing that a wok is for--you can still manage it on even a fairly anemic American residential range. You just need to be more careful about getting the cooking surface hot before adding the food, work in small batches, and so on. You know, the same as you'd do for literally any cooking surface on the same range.

Seriously. Everybody stop spreading this nonsense about how woks only work if you've got a jet engine in your kitchen.

What is the wok doing that a large sautee pan can't on a normal home range?

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 17, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

What is the wok doing that a large sautee pan can't on a normal home range?
I literally listed several things in the post you're responding to.

A wok is also nicer for deep frying than a straight-sided sauté pan or dutch oven because of the geometry--having a couple inches of wok between spattering oil and the rangetop (or whatever) makes it a lot less messy and less likely to start a fire. The extra surface area compared to volume is usually nice for a lot of frying tasks--like tempura or whatever--as well. And letting poo poo cool/drain in a wok rack is super convenient.

But I'm not sure how any of this is relevant. You said that a wok isn't worth it if you don't have a high output burner. That simply isn't true. A wok is a super flexible cooking vessel useful for many cooking methods, not just super-hot wok hei/bao cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SubG posted:

I literally listed several things in the post you're responding to.

A wok is also nicer for deep frying than a straight-sided sauté pan or dutch oven because of the geometry--having a couple inches of wok between spattering oil and the rangetop (or whatever) makes it a lot less messy and less likely to start a fire. The extra surface area compared to volume is usually nice for a lot of frying tasks--like tempura or whatever--as well. And letting poo poo cool/drain in a wok rack is super convenient.

But I'm not sure how any of this is relevant. You said that a wok isn't worth it if you don't have a high output burner. That simply isn't true. A wok is a super flexible cooking vessel useful for many cooking methods, not just super-hot wok hei/bao cooking.

I don't believe the question was about deep frying. He specifically asked about stir fry. Everything you listed is doable with a large saute pan except deep frying. That aside, we're talking about the relative benefits of a wok over other more standard pieces of equipment you probably already own. Those benefits are slim if you don't have a burner that can take advantage of the Wok's design. Assuming Clark already has a 12"+ pan the answer to the question "will a wok improve my stir fry" the answer is "Not really". Is a wok a good piece of equipment if you don't own a big pan already? Sure, in the sense that it's a big pan and big pans have their uses. But I stand by the fact that I think a wok is a less versatile piece of equipment for a standard range than a large saute pan, and won't work fundamentally better than the same pan outside of a few niche scenarios.

When I had a large space and didn't care about stuff piling up I had a wok that I would use frequently, but mostly just because I had it and felt obliged to. At almost at no point did I feel like it was performing any unique role. It was just an oversized pan. It was one of the first pieces of equipment to be put on the chopping block when I moved to a smaller space and had to prioritize versatility in my equipment. Ironically due to much better access to Chinese markets near my apartment, I cook more Chinese food now than I did before, and I still don't really miss the wok.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 17, 2020