Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
I am not sure what "maintenance mode" is, but there are dribs and drabs of new content for SWL, including story content, missions dealing more with the Hive during recent February event. Then again, FunCom doesn't kill its games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Xenaul posted:

I am not sure what "maintenance mode" is, but there are dribs and drabs of new content for SWL, including story content, missions dealing more with the Hive during recent February event. Then again, FunCom doesn't kill its games.

Maintenance mode is what AO has been on for what, like 15 years now?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I thought the Conan game was doing real well for them. Or is Conan exiles something else?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bogart posted:

I thought the Conan game was doing real well for them. Or is Conan exiles something else?

Age of Conan is an older RPG, Exiles is a more recent survival game.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Don't worry, they hosed Exiles up too.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
Really keeping up that track record of "this looks to be going good, let's abandon it to a skeleton crew instead of building on it" :bravo:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Prygelknabe posted:

Really keeping up that track record of "this looks to be going good, let's abandon it to a skeleton crew instead of building on it" :bravo:

No

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Pretty sure the only thing Age of Conan had going for it was kicking people off ledges with a horse, which got removed/nerfed.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

what an amazing game this is!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The usual observation about this game is that it should have made as a single-player game. I just found out about a game that came out last year, called Control, that seems pretty close. I'm not too far into it yet, but the plot thus far seems to be:

The protagonist swallowed a bee as a child and somehow languished unnoticed until her powers led her into an Illuminati facility hidden in plain sight, whereupon she immediately becomes a Pistol/Chaos user and is tasked with purging the facility of a Filth outbreak. Just with all the serial numbers filed off so the company that made the game doesn't get sued; for example, instead of the Filth, it's the Hiss, and orange is the new black.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
You can still play it as a single player game. And it's pretty good that way, too.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Given that the game itself sets a low maximum limit on players in the zone, yes, almost everyone plays SWL as a single-player game. If you're talking about the story, the story is fine.

If you're talking about the controls or the advancement system, those are absolute poo poo compared to what could have been done if the game wasn't a MMO.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
From what I remember they only made the original an MMO as an anti piracy thing.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
My main issue with Legends is that the combat feels somehow way jankier than the original system to me, trying to make the fairly complicated powersets slightly more sensible wasn't a bad change.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Morglon posted:

From what I remember they only made the original an MMO as an anti piracy thing.
Nah, it was more that it was being designed by "rockstar" designers who were given free reign.

Having worked on the project, they managed to make a style of MMO that maximized the amount of money you had to spend per hour of content. Which is almost certainly why there haven't been major updates in a while.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If I recall, there was also an expectation that the Lovecraftian horror genre would tap into and retain customers who wouldn't normally play MMOs. Since their two previous MMOs that weren't standard Tolkienesque fantasy had both successfully dethroned WoW, this wasn't considered farfetched at all.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So there hasn't been a content update past Dawn of the Morninglight/South Africa?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hypocrisy posted:

So there hasn't been a content update past Dawn of the Morninglight/South Africa?

If you buy enough agents you'll get content maybe

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I feel like that's a trap option that would just convince them the agent system is well-received and profitable and should be expanded in lieu of actual content.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

At least that would be in game content and not an indie horror game that uses names from TSW and nothing else

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

What's the difference between that and the agent system?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That's a shame. South Africa was good stuff.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
TSW's main lasting impressions for me were

24h live stream shenianigans on the last train to Cairo.
golem events

I hope they can capture that in a hypothetical next game, too.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

If I recall, there was also an expectation that the Lovecraftian horror genre would tap into and retain customers who wouldn't normally play MMOs. Since their two previous MMOs that weren't standard Tolkienesque fantasy had both successfully dethroned WoW, this wasn't considered farfetched at all.

I was literally this customer except after it went B2P.

I miss this game but having to restart from almost literally nothing with a way shittier game masquerading as this one killed any interest I had after the relaunch.

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, so despite the flaws I was really into this. Secret World never had a lot of replay value for me though. The Lovecraft stuff only has a limited following anyway. If they had made it straight up kill zombies mmo, they probably would have gotten a bit more traction.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I was literally this customer except after it went B2P.

I miss this game but having to restart from almost literally nothing with a way shittier game masquerading as this one killed any interest I had after the relaunch.

I prefer the relaunched product. Played a ton of it, could never enjoy the game before.

Jintozook81 posted:

I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, so despite the flaws I was really into this. Secret World never had a lot of replay value for me though. The Lovecraft stuff only has a limited following anyway. If they had made it straight up kill zombies mmo, they probably would have gotten a bit more traction.
Like I said - slapping a single player game in your MMO is a terrible way to get replayability. Story content is only compelling a handful of times before you just skip it, and it's way way way more expensive to produce.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 16, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

theflyingorc posted:

I prefer the relaunched product. Played a ton of it, could never enjoy the game before.

Like I said - slapping a single player game in your MMO is a terrible way to get replayability. Story content is only compelling a handful of times before you just skip it, and it's way way way more expensive to produce.

Did they ever finish importing all the old group content? I never did do the Tokyo dungeons and would probably reinstall for that

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Len posted:

Did they ever finish importing all the old group content? I never did do the Tokyo dungeons and would probably reinstall for that

As far as I know they're still missing a few things? Never even got to Egypt in the original version of the game, I found the combat extremely tedious, so I don't really know what I was missing when I played through the reboot.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's still missing Manufactory A/B as well as Elite versions of a few of the dungeons.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

novaSphere posted:

It's still missing Manufactory A/B as well as Elite versions of a few of the dungeons.

Fac Elite would presumably be the same as Fac NM which has one of my favorite mechanics from a lore perspective. The death ball that chases you around the last fight shares the name with her dead dog. You only find that out if you collect the lots and read them all.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

TSW's original NM Dungeons were honestly some of my favorite content in an MMO, as buggy and rife with exploits as they were. I stopped playing TSW as much before Manufactory came out so I can't speak to their quality on NM, but I heard they're tough. Also gently caress Aegis

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

In general TSW's dungeons remain, to this day, some of my favorite MMO content ever. The Ankh and the Facility get special shout outs, but all of the dungeons were just loving great

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Facility was real miss on actual mechanics but God drat did it try some interesting things.

First one was the only normal one iirc, standard tank and spank.

Fightt two was Bomberman, on NM it left permanent poo poo and slowly boxed you in.

I always get 3 and 4 mixed up. But one of them you could do without actually pressing any fight buttons. The gimmick was that you had to repair the doobob with your anima by standing in the glowy spot. There were adds that come around to fight you but if you had a competent heal tank 4 people could just stand still and do the thing while the tank ran in circles

The other was a computer that was also more or less a tank and spank.

Fight five was against a posse of dead Soviet bee types. On elite this fight wasn't anything special but in NM they dropped filth when the dropped, so you had to make sure you killed them in certain spots on the floor or else the fight wasn't possible to beat.

Fight 6 was against a Starchild. Nm she summoned up a death ball that chases the person with most aggro around.

Ankh was great because Dr Klein was the best villain in the game. It's a shame that every bug during the last fight came back for the relaunch.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I miss running 18's and Slaughterhouse.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I specifically love Dr. Klein and Halina Ilyushin. Mechanically Dr. Klein was a lot of fun and I just loved the themes and voice lines in both fights so loving much

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

If they redid the game with better combat and as a coop game instead of an MMO, I'd gladly buy it again. Put some competent AI companions in for normal versions of group stuff, invite others to your game for harder versions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

xanthan posted:

If they redid the game with better combat and as a coop game instead of an MMO, I'd gladly buy it again. Put some competent AI companions in for normal versions of group stuff, invite others to your game for harder versions.

God a third relaunch?

Although I'm honestly curious what half baked progression they'll try to implement to slow down the overgeared players for future content. Scenarios and AEGIS existed because they needed something to keep people from clearing out Tokyo in the first hour.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

This game’s storytelling deserved much better mechanics to go along with it and I’m forever cross it won’t get them.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Len posted:

God a third relaunch?

Although I'm honestly curious what half baked progression they'll try to implement to slow down the overgeared players for future content. Scenarios and AEGIS existed because they needed something to keep people from clearing out Tokyo in the first hour.

Not even a relaunch, just a normal not MMO game with the same story stuff. Would at least provide a way to experience the story after this goes offline eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Didn't it work for them for a while financially with issues and cosmetics shop?