Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

droll posted:

What's the lowdown on masks for the fires? Actual n95+ masks seem to be impossible to find.

Actual protection from smoke particulates requires P95/N95/R95 rating or better. The difference between P and N rating is just that P masks also filter oily particles while N masks don't. R is a middle ground between P and N. Smoke isn't an oily particle so either is basically the same for all three. P/R/N99 is even better (filters 99% of particles rather than 95%). Any other mask or respirator with filters specifically listing smoke particulates is as-good or better. All masks are only effective if properly adjusted, worn over both mouth and nose, and well sealed against the face.

Having said that, any mask is better than no mask, and if you find yourself in an emergency, absolutely put on a cloth mask or whatever is available. Reducing how many particulates you breathe in is always better.

e. I should add that typically 99 or 100 rated masks are harder to breathe through than 95 rated masks, so if you find that you're constantly removing an N99 due to discomfort, then it's less effective than an N95 that you're willing to keep on.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

droll posted:

What's the lowdown on masks for the fires? Actual n95+ masks seem to be impossible to find.

This post has the info last time we talked on this, however in a covid-19 world a lot of this poo poo is impossible to find.

I was able to get some 2297 filters in April from Amazon when they were briefly available for purchase but haven't seen them since. Finding 3M half-face or full-face respirators is even more difficult; A lot of stuff you'll find is KN95 (Chinese standard) disposables, or even more likely plain multi-cotton layers, or some oddball stuff with non-rated filtering (like multiple layers of cotton, synthethic, and activated charcoal layers. Nothing can be guaranteed as far as effectiveness).

Here's a 3M paper comparing multiple international standards similar to N95, including KN95:
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1791500O/comparison-ffp2-kn95-n95-filtering-facepiece-respirator-classes-tb.pdf

I can't really attest to the quality of particular KN95 disposable facemasks as there's a lot of companies in China pumping those out with varying sets of quality.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 16, 2020

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Leperflesh posted:

Actual protection from smoke particulates requires P95/N95/R95 rating or better. The difference between P and N rating is just that P masks also filter oily particles while N masks don't. R is a middle ground between P and N. Smoke isn't an oily particle so either is basically the same for all three. P/R/N99 is even better (filters 99% of particles rather than 95%). Any other mask or respirator with filters specifically listing smoke particulates is as-good or better. All masks are only effective if properly adjusted, worn over both mouth and nose, and well sealed against the face.

Having said that, any mask is better than no mask, and if you find yourself in an emergency, absolutely put on a cloth mask or whatever is available. Reducing how many particulates you breathe in is always better.

e. I should add that typically 99 or 100 rated masks are harder to breathe through than 95 rated masks, so if you find that you're constantly removing an N99 due to discomfort, then it's less effective than an N95 that you're willing to keep on.

Any rated mask is going to be a pain-in-the-rear end to breathe through and requires basically no facial hair to wear correctly.

EDIT: I'll leave it to OSHA/industrial safety Goons on how much you can use a mask/filter before the filters become full and you need to dispose of it. One thing's for sure, do your best to not get the filters wet/moist.

I strongly recommend getting an actual HEPA air filter ($200-$700) for your home. During the 2018 Camp Fire, I limited my time outside as much as possible and bought an air filter to make my bedroom into a "clean" room. It provided some much needed relief since the smoke was detectable in the Bay Area, even with all the windows and doors closed.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 16, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1272687356378664960

LAPD bankrupting themselves to own the libs

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Any rated mask is going to be a pain-in-the-rear end to breathe through and requires basically no facial hair to wear correctly.

EDIT: I'll leave it to OSHA/industrial safety Goons on how much you can use a mask/filter before the filters become full and you need to dispose of it. One thing's for sure, do your best to not get the filters wet/moist.

I strongly recommend getting an actual HEPA air filter ($200-$700) for your home. During the 2018 Camp Fire, I limited my time outside as much as possible and bought an air filter to make my bedroom into a "clean" room. It provided some much needed relief since the smoke was detectable in the Bay Area, even with all the windows and doors closed.

"Detectable" is even underselling it a bit. The sky was orange/brown on the peninsula during the day, and windows/ outdoor furniture got a nice layer of soot over the course of the fire. Better than being anywhere near the fire of course, but it was pretty lovely for breathing.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Sundae posted:

"Detectable" is even underselling it a bit. The sky was orange/brown on the peninsula during the day, and windows/ outdoor furniture got a nice layer of soot over the course of the fire. Better than being anywhere near the fire of course, but it was pretty lovely for breathing.

Agreed. Those weeks really put strong environmental protections in perspective. It ends up being more cost-effective and simpler to have strong protections for everyone instead of having only some people be able to afford to suck air through a filter, which is still a lovely option.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Class Warcraft posted:

LAPD bankrupting themselves to own the libs
Whiny bitches catching Cop Flu as a result of their own idiocy tear-gassing protesters.

Hate to see it when we get a whole-rear end drop in crimes as a result.

Lol, and it's all Ticket Cops who bother people on the subway or busses. loving lol

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I have bad news about every California city named after a mission, anything named Fremont, Sutter, Carson, Kern, Mendocino, uh I dunno look up your local namesakes and you'll find no end to colonial enslavement, rape, and murder.

I dunno if Junipero Serra is cancelled by we can definitely take down his ugly rear end statue on 280

Anaheim was named by german settlers because it’s next to the Santa Ana river. Saint Anne being the grandmother of Jesus means she’s not a colonist or capitalist i’m sure :toot:

e: ah gently caress. settlers

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

das siedler vom anaheim

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The hippie movement and health food woo can both be blamed on German "nature boys" that settled in this state:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensreform

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Rainbow Knight posted:

Anaheim was named by german settlers because it’s next to the Santa Ana river. Saint Anne being the grandmother of Jesus means she’s not a colonist or capitalist i’m sure :toot:

e: ah gently caress. settlers

It's ok they named it after a black woman

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/IndivisibleSF/status/1273013652744892416

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

We went about a week without being able to see across the Bay. Work gave out N95 masks to everyone who came and took the training (read the diagrams on each side of this piece of paper) and sign twice to indicate that you had been trained for your PPE and been given your PPE. We're a biotech, we have Procedures about issuing PPE. Your average tech company could just give the receptionist a couple boxes of masks, we have to train people and document stuff.

When the Santa Rose fire started it was dry and windy in SF too. About 11 pm I started smelling smoke. I quickly came to the conclusion that there was a house fire nearby. Nope. The fire was 75 miles away and I thought it was down the block.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:vince: that would be a huge increase. as of 2010 there were around 6,500 public housing units in SF

now make it 100,000 :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And don't build the housing by subcontracting it to a management company that then has to turn a profit from low-cost housing by never doing any maintenance and allowing it to degrade into slums. Just run it at a loss to the city (or county or state) permanently because it's a public good that taxpayers should pay for.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Leperflesh posted:

And don't build the housing by subcontracting it to a management company that then has to turn a profit from low-cost housing by never doing any maintenance and allowing it to degrade into slums. Just run it at a loss to the city (or county or state) permanently because it's a public good that taxpayers should pay for.

Woah buddy, this is America.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Leperflesh posted:

this sounds like commuinism. what loving next, huh? you're gonna break into my house and stab my dog because it barked in support of the 4th of July you ATNIFA monster?!??

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Admiral Ray posted:

this sounds like commuinism. what loving next, huh? you're gonna break into my house and stab my dog because it barked in support of the 4th of July you ATNIFA monster?!??

That's the Cops, not Antifa. All they do are cash checks from Soros

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

if SF built that much public housing, it would end up with around 16,000 units, which is about equal to Chicago, but with 1/3 of the total city population.

Oakland also has around 3,000 public housing units, what if they also built 10,000 more. What if San Jose did too, and what if Alameda developed at least part of the old airfield and built another 10,000 units. What if they upzoned parts of Berkeley and and Emeryville and built 10,000 more units in those places too, and built a new BART line going from west Berkeley to Emeryville to Oakland, Alameda, and then through a new transbay tube to mission bay, SOMA/downtown SF, and continuing as a new Geary/19th ave line in SF, and then Daly City and south SF built another 10,000 units around their BART stations, and what if they built an antifa supersoldier training center with a bart station, etc, etc. What if we did the same thing in LA, San Diego, Sacramento, Fresno, Santa Rosa, fuckin redding lol, so many what ifs. It could all be done in like 5 years but we gotta funnel all our money to some rich psychos and the military and cops instead :911:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

sincx posted:

People from the Berkeley hills would literally burn down the under-construction housing units if you tried to add 10,000 units of public housing in Berkeley.

:heritage:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

sincx posted:

People from the Berkeley hills would literally burn down the under-construction housing units if you tried to add 10,000 units of public housing in Berkeley.

They might melt nextdoor’s servers, but unless there’s an app that does it for them, they won’t do poo poo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

They might melt nextdoor’s servers, but unless there’s an app that does it for them, they won’t do poo poo

If Rah! got even 5% of what they're asking for, I feel pretty secure in saying there will quickly be not one but ten different apps for that

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In silicon valley, we're disrupting the disruptions with our disruptive technology

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

When I read Nextdoor CEO’s performative BLM diversity email message I lold.

“This event has shown....”

Lmao this event. This event?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

HelloSailorSign posted:

When I read Nextdoor CEO’s performative BLM diversity email message

I don't even want to imagine this

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Rah! posted:

if SF built that much public housing, it would end up with around 16,000 units, which is about equal to Chicago, but with 1/3 of the total city population.
I wonder how it's going to interact with some of the other stuff SF has passed recently.

SF passed Prop C in June 2018, which they've been collecting since, but haven't been able to spend it yet because it's tied up in the state court of appeals by the Howard Jarvis dipshits. That collects $300 million a year, with half of it earmarked for building new public housing. SF also passed prop A in November 2019 which was a $600 million public housing bond with $390 of it going to new public housing (rest public housing maintenance and homelessness prevention).

If this ballot measure is in ADDITION to those two, SF could wind up with like 21,000 units of public housing in 2030

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I don't even want to imagine this

Sure you do, it was incredible

Nextdoor posted:

Neighbors,

Let me say it unequivocally: Racism has no place on Nextdoor.

One wonders if they've ever used their own service

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

We went about a week without being able to see across the Bay. Work gave out N95 masks to everyone who came and took the training (read the diagrams on each side of this piece of paper) and sign twice to indicate that you had been trained for your PPE and been given your PPE. We're a biotech, we have Procedures about issuing PPE. Your average tech company could just give the receptionist a couple boxes of masks, we have to train people and document stuff.

When the Santa Rose fire started it was dry and windy in SF too. About 11 pm I started smelling smoke. I quickly came to the conclusion that there was a house fire nearby. Nope. The fire was 75 miles away and I thought it was down the block.

I remember that! My wife was away in Delhi and we noticed that our photos we were texting each other showed comparable air quality. :suicide:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hawkperson posted:

Sure you do, it was incredible

One wonders if they've ever used their own service

It's around, but it gets called out in my neighborhood.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It's ok they named it after a black woman

:toot:

e: ooooh god drat

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1273003415766020097?s=20

quote:

In March, the utility and the state agreed to bankruptcy terms, which included an overhaul of PG&E's board selection process, financial structure and oversight.

oh well that's good :jerkbag:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 17, 2020

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
On the plus side, now PG&E will have to go to prison and fight the fires they start for below minimum wage.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

fermun posted:

I wonder how it's going to interact with some of the other stuff SF has passed recently.

SF passed Prop C in June 2018, which they've been collecting since, but haven't been able to spend it yet because it's tied up in the state court of appeals by the Howard Jarvis dipshits. That collects $300 million a year, with half of it earmarked for building new public housing. SF also passed prop A in November 2019 which was a $600 million public housing bond with $390 of it going to new public housing (rest public housing maintenance and homelessness prevention).

If this ballot measure is in ADDITION to those two, SF could wind up with like 21,000 units of public housing in 2030

It would seem like common sense to me that any proposition which passed the popular vote cannot be appealed or blocked in any way legally, at least not without some time period in which the prop can actually be executed. If a prop isn't legally sound that's something to consider before the vote, not after. It's just bullshit that a prop which was already passed can be held up in court.

VVV Yeah, that's a counterpoint.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 17, 2020

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Prop 8?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Prop 187, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's the "passed muster before being voted on" part that is a no-deal, because there's no mechanism by which you can test proposed legislation with the state supreme court, who will be the ultimate arbiter of whether or not the legislation is constitutional.

Mind you, it's not like laws written by actual lawmakers have a great track record either.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

quote:

As part of its plea agreement, the company agreed to pay a $3.5 million dollar fine and an additional $500,000 to cover the costs of the investigation.

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

Cool, now I get to pay more for my gas to cover their cost of killing people.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fuckin :lmao:

quote:

A federal judge on Tuesday approved the company's $59 billion reorganization plan. That plan includes settlements with insurers and local governments as well as $13.5 billion in settlements to victims of wildfires for which PG&E was responsible. Half of the settlements to individuals, however, will be paid in company shares instead of cash, after which victims would own almost 21 percent of the company, That could expose survivors to future liability, The Wall Street Journal reports, if the company once again ends up facing criminal or regulatory penalties for failing to make good on safety commitments.

Did we end up killing your loved ones? Here's a few shares of our company.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Víctims should perform a hostile takeover of PG&E and force it to nationalize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Did we end up killing your loved ones? Here's a few shares of our company.
of our bankrupt company.