Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Imagine being in those conditions during a COVID-19 pandemic. An outbreak would quickly decimate any force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Darth Walrus posted:

Fistfights in the Himalayas, remember. Our regular Everest thread is a helpful reminder that even minor injuries will deeply gently caress you over up there.

Conditions aren't nearly that deadly where the fighting took place, but the hypothermia claims make sense if they were a result of people falling into the river during the fighting.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Conditions aren't nearly that deadly where the fighting took place, but the hypothermia claims make sense if they were a result of people falling into the river during the fighting.

Are there any details about where exactly the exchange took place?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Count Roland posted:

Are there any details about where exactly the exchange took place?

Galwan Valley in the Ladakh region.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/20-indian-soldiers-dead-in-clash-with-china-100018

indian media posted:

Detailing the incident, sources said it occurred as an altitude of almost 15,000 feet. The Peoples’ Liberation Army (PLA) of China, which was in talks with Indian Army for both sides to withdraw from the forty---day long stand-off, had build a fresh post and set up arctic tents at vantage position on the south bank of the Galwan river. The post gave a clear view to Chinese of the vital 255 kms Darbuk Shayok Daulat Baig Oldie (DSDBO), India’s only link to Depsang, Murgo ad Karokaram pass. This was unacceptable to India. The post was some 5 km from the DSDBO road, the Galwan river flows in an east-to-west direction and joins the river Shyok.

Sounds like it was a pretty brutal circa 2000 men melee.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jeromeroos/status/1273008329468583936?s=21

:stare:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1272942870656253952

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I mean... that is some remarkable discipline that no one grabbed for his gun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

I mean... that is some remarkable discipline that no one grabbed for his gun.

IIRC, deescalation treaties mean they literally aren't given guns.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, deescalation treaties mean they literally aren't given guns.

I find this difficult to believe, though not more difficult than 1800 people fighting and nobody shooting a bullet.

Once one side gets some shields and re-invents the phalanx its all over.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This is getting freaking ridiculous.

Count Roland posted:

I find this difficult to believe, though not more difficult than 1800 people fighting and nobody shooting a bullet.

Once one side gets some shields and re-invents the phalanx its all over.

Yup, give them bows and spears and we're going to have some sick historical reenactment there.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

Yup, give them bows and spears and we're going to have some sick historical reenactment there.
And then Bollywood will turn it into a propaganda film complete with butchered physics. :v:

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Edit; Wrong thread

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 18, 2020

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53089037

quote:

An image has emerged showing a crude weapon purportedly used by Chinese forces in the fatal brawl along China's disputed border with India on Monday.

quote:

Defence analyst Ajai Shukla, who first tweeted the image, described the use of such weapons as "barbarism". The absence of firearms in the clash dates back to a 1996 agreement between the two sides that guns and explosives be prohibited along the disputed stretch of the border, to deter escalation.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mad Mao: Fury Mountain

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Escape from New YorkGalwan Valley.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Since both sides are holding on to the old 1996 agreement to have no guns or explosives used within 2 miles of the disputed regions, I surprised that neither side brought a real sword or pole-ax to the region. You'd think a proper melee weapon would be better than a spiked club, and both countries have old traditions of swordsmanship.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Darth Walrus posted:

Fistfights in the Himalayas, remember. Our regular Everest thread is a helpful reminder that even minor injuries will deeply gently caress you over up there.

I miss the everest thread. Arrogant rich people are by far the favoured demographic for alpine expiration. It's not fun when it's people getting paid

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762301

it's still around, just not terribly active

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You left out:

quote:

It was passed to the BBC by a senior Indian military official on the India-China border, who said the weapons had been used by the Chinese.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Yes, about that.

IndiaTV quotes Army HQ saying it's fake:

Dont believe everythinganything on the internettm

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone got any good pieces on the current COVID carnage in India and how it came about? As in, stuff that's more specific and detailed than 'the BJP are fash and public healthcare has been comprehensively dismantled over the past few decades'.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone got any good pieces on the current COVID carnage in India and how it came about? As in, stuff that's more specific and detailed than 'the BJP are fash and public healthcare has been comprehensively dismantled over the past few decades'.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-24/how-did-indias-covid-disaster-unfold/100089732

quote:

First, there was a slower response to the second wave. India took swift action when the pandemic first took hold last year, imposing one of the most aggressive lockdowns in the world....

This year, mass gatherings — including the world's largest religious festival of Kumbh Mela — were allowed to continue virtually unabated, even when the second surge was already well underway.....

A severe lack of masks and social distancing has made the optics of such events so alarming.
Basically it was the perfect storm of factors, I have been reading r/India and lots of people are saying how their family members aren't taking this seriously, large political rallies because a few states in India are having elections and general remedies that don't help but are supported by the political or religious establishment. Everything and everybody from top to bottom failed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Time Magazine has more details on the Indian apocalypse. Estimates have the real death rate as ten thousand per day. Christ.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm almost surprised it's not higher, as the US had 3000+ deaths/day for a while, and India has roughly four times the US population. I just hope it somehow levels out as soon as possible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Number_6 posted:

I'm almost surprised it's not higher, as the US had 3000+ deaths/day for a while, and India has roughly four times the US population. I just hope it somehow levels out as soon as possible.

Yeah, reading the coverage, I'm afraid that doesn't seem likely. The BJP has been holding gigantic rallies as recently as last week, and spreading some truly bizarre misinformation about the disease (did you know it can be cured by drinking cow piss?).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, reading the coverage, I'm afraid that doesn't seem likely. The BJP has been holding gigantic rallies as recently as last week, and spreading some truly bizarre misinformation about the disease (did you know it can be cured by drinking cow piss?).

I can get you a bucket of covid cure by tomorrow morning, $25.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if the total death count in India from covid will reach 8 figures before it stabilizes.
(Now why are so many 30-40 year olds dying from this as well there?)

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if the total death count in India from covid will reach 8 figures before it stabilizes.
(Now why are so many 30-40 year olds dying from this as well there?)

Ramshackle healthcare, high smoking rates, and tons of air pollution. Probably lots of comorbidities to go around.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aha. The vast majority of cases are in Mumbai and Maharashtra, known heartland of the Shiv Sena ultranationalists/fascists probably ignoring the poo poo out of covid. Who would've thunk?
Hope this hubris decapitates most of their leadership.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 26, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Time Magazine has more details on the Indian apocalypse. Estimates have the real death rate as ten thousand per day. Christ.

All the estimates I've seen have said 5 to 10 times the reported numbers. That would be 12.5 - 25 k a day.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grouchio posted:

Aha. The vast majority of cases are in Mumbai and Maharashtra, known heartland of the Shiv Sena ultranationalists/fascists probably ignoring the poo poo out of covid. Who would've thunk?

Modi richly deserves to end life sucking his last breath out of a ventilator, but so did Trump and we all remember that disappointment.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Charlz Guybon posted:

All the estimates I've seen have said 5 to 10 times the reported numbers. That would be 12.5 - 25 k a day.

Half a million a month. gently caress

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Outrail posted:

Half a million a month. gently caress
In a population that just the bit over a billion could fit the entirety of Russia twice and with plenty of room to spare

Ravaging a population this size seemingly completely unchecked is going to throw up numbers that seem impossibly nightmarish.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Flayer posted:

In a population that just the bit over a billion could fit the entirety of Russia twice and with plenty of room to spare

Ravaging a population this size seemingly completely unchecked is going to throw up numbers that seem impossibly nightmarish.
Impossibly? Nah. It might actually get up to Spanish Flu levels (which in 1918 killed 12-17 million Indians or roughly 5% of the population) at this rate. Granted most of these deaths appear to be around the Ganges and Mumbai.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Given the oxygen shortages being reported, it's not surprising to see death rates this high. It's gotten to the point where having to be hospitalized is analogous to a death sentence, because the beds and equipment just aren't there. This is literally the flatten the curve argument playing out, people who most likely would have survived aren't even getting the chance to be triaged, demand is so high.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Flayer posted:

Not nitpick, India could fit into Russia 5 times with room to spare.

Darth Walrus posted:

Thanks, this is good article.

quote:

Three health officials who asked to remain anonymous told me they believe that the daily number of COVID-19 deaths in India has already crossed the 10,000 figure. There is no escape from it; in the past week alone, I have lost four people to COVID-19—a distant relative, my next-door neighbor, and two of my closest friends, both in their mid-30s.
One of the other Time articles linked state that the likely infection rate is ~30 times what is reported but that is sourcing a Lancet study from January.

Grouchio posted:

This is hell dimension. It won't.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Budzilla posted:

Not nitpick, India could fit into Russia 5 times with room to spare.

I think the point was that you could double the population of Russia and that is equal to the part of the Indian population over 1b.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

I think the point was that you could double the population of Russia and that is equal to the part of the Indian population over 1b.
Well Russia has a population of 150 million and declining. So my misreading is even more accurate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Budzilla posted:

Well Russia has a population of 150 million and declining. So my misreading is even more accurate.

wtf I thought they were crawling with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, Germany's the biggest country in Europe, with about 80m people, so 150m is still nearly twice that, so it's pretty big relative to European countries.

But yeah, Russia's quite like Canada or Australia in that they have an absolutely enormous territory, but nearly all the people live in one quite small part of it and the rest is largely empty.