Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Xelkelvos posted:

I got accepted for a GS-5 IRS position that had closed up in May with intent for a June hiring. I still haven't have my background check completed after 3(?) weeks. Meanwhile, Ft. Hamilton picked me up as a GS-7 Engineer in their own ladder position and it requires a Secret Clearance. How long does a Secret Clearance background check normally take? I may have to move back in with my parents while I wait for it to complete.

I think Secret is averaging around 8 months based on what ClearanceJobs.com is reporting. It could go much faster or slower depending on your individual circumstance and other hidden administrative factors.

If you get an interim, then you can start work pretty much right away while you wait for your full clearance.

My recommendation is to just take the GS-5 job and accept the GS-7 TO. You can leave your GS-5 job when you get the FO and EOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Word is we’re all getting our furlough letters next week. Call your reps and ask them to fund USCIS.

Lady Bureaucrazy
Jan 24, 2007

Step 1: Insert speaker into vagina

Beerdeer posted:

Word is we’re all getting our furlough letters next week. Call your reps and ask them to fund USCIS.

I heard a rumor that it may be delayed up to a pay period because of problems with getting payroll data to calculate the retention registers. Which would mean we'd be getting our furlough notices the day before the holiday weekend. LOL.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Beerdeer posted:

Obviously I hope for a good outcome here, but I feel like the best-case scenario is this swings another 500 or so votes from furloughed USCIS people in Missouri against Republicans

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Obviously I hope for a good outcome here, but I feel like the best-case scenario is this swings another 500 or so votes from furloughed USCIS people in Missouri against Republicans

Weird to root against Social Security like that, but OK.

Lady Bureaucrazy
Jan 24, 2007

Am I allowed to post this kind of thing in this thread? Let me know if it's not kosher, and I'll delete it. Click here to email your representatives about the USCIS furlough. (Do not use your .gov email, obviously.)
https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-congress-to-halt-uscis-furloughs?source=email&

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Beerdeer posted:

Christ, this is some foul poo poo. Are you guys at least getting back pay from this nonsense?

Lady Bureaucrazy
Jan 24, 2007

Delorence Fickle posted:

Christ, this is some foul poo poo. Are you guys at least getting back pay from this nonsense?

Probably not! This is an administrative furlough instead of a lapse is appropriations. So the rules are a bit different. We'll only get back pay if it's in a bill, which I think is really unlikely.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

so, i'm sitting around on the weekend realizing that wait, nobody ever called me, i don't have to go in until that happens

guess what i got 30 minutes ago? :haw: notice so short it's underground

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I thought they had to give you 4 hours to report.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

I thought they had to give you 4 hours to report.

i mean, it's possible i might have had up to 4 hours to report in after i got the call, but my regular tod is 8-4:30 and i got called to report in around 9:30. my manager didn't state a time so i didn't exactly rush though; is that 4 hour timeframe in the handbook somewhere? if so i should look that up for future reference

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Certainly the 4-hour report thing was always given at USCIS as the reason Teleworkers had to live within a 4-hour drive of our office. Well, anyone would, I suppose, but only Teleworkers seem likely to make the otherwise inexplicable choice. It was also cited when I was doing a virtual detail as the maximum distance I could be from a USCIS office even though I was no longer subject to home inspection or being called in to an office, as if something went wrong with my work laptop I needed to be able to bring it to be fixed at a USCIS office in that same 4-hour period.

Related, my boss was fond of reminding me that there is no allowance in the 4-hour requirement for what you happen to be doing at the time, so the handful of people who lived like 3:45ish from the office were virtually guaranteed to end up in violation if ever actually called in. If you get called in to work at an unexpected time, are you really going to definitely be at home, and also have all your files in order to bring in (as you would be penalized for coming in without marking all your files as "in transit")

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

i mean, it's possible i might have had up to 4 hours to report in after i got the call, but my regular tod is 8-4:30 and i got called to report in around 9:30. my manager didn't state a time so i didn't exactly rush though; is that 4 hour timeframe in the handbook somewhere? if so i should look that up for future reference

I'm poking around and haven't found a definitive answer. The 4 hour rule absolutely applies to furloughs, but I don't know what the rules are for leave with pay. Were you on leave or teleworking?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'm poking around and haven't found a definitive answer. The 4 hour rule absolutely applies to furloughs, but I don't know what the rules are for leave with pay. Were you on leave or teleworking?

weather and safety leave

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My understanding is weather and safety leave is paid. Is that accurate?

edit: yes, and wow, thanks Obama- it's very recent.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

weather and safety leave

I have some time tomorrow, so I’ll look into this.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

And... the answer is unclear.

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"
Any SSA peeps in the know about when we will have to return to our offices? We get cryptic answers from our manager and that email from the Commissioner made it seem soon. I"m enjoying working from home and hope we can continue at least part time with it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have detected a new trend in USAJobs hiring, which I assume is driven by what I also assume to be an overabundance of applicants these days; I have been repeatedly rejected from jobs on the basis of not qualifying, despite them having "[experience needed that Dr. Quarex debatably has] OR [a generic master's degree]" as requirements. Every time I ask about this, I am told that my degree is not in a field related to the job. Well, uh, there is text for that, it goes like "must be in [field name] or similar" or "must include [x] number of hours in [these fields];" I see it all the time, and your job-description-creators did not use it. Weak.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

yessssss i am go for telework and have everything at home now :woop:

assuming everything functions anyway, but there's only so much i can do about that lol

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have detected a new trend in USAJobs hiring, which I assume is driven by what I also assume to be an overabundance of applicants these days; I have been repeatedly rejected from jobs on the basis of not qualifying, despite them having "[experience needed that Dr. Quarex debatably has] OR [a generic master's degree]" as requirements. Every time I ask about this, I am told that my degree is not in a field related to the job. Well, uh, there is text for that, it goes like "must be in [field name] or similar" or "must include [x] number of hours in [these fields];" I see it all the time, and your job-description-creators did not use it. Weak.

COVID = more people applying for the safety of gov jobs => feds can be more selective.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Nutella posted:

Any SSA peeps in the know about when we will have to return to our offices? We get cryptic answers from our manager and that email from the Commissioner made it seem soon. I"m enjoying working from home and hope we can continue at least part time with it.

I think it might be up to the different Regional Commissioners, which would make sense given the way the situation is so different around the country. According to my boss, it's been a topic of discussion in our region but doesn't sound like it will be in the near future.

Headquarters is being very tight lipped though.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

My understanding is weather and safety leave is paid. Is that accurate?

edit: yes, and wow, thanks Obama- it's very recent.

It was part of the Administrative Leave Act in 2016, which actually was meant to cut down on paid admin leave by splitting it into defined categories and putting strict limits on some of them. We used to see people on admin leave for months sometimes while we were doing investigations or proposing adverse actions against them (because management didn't want them coming to the office but would still take forever to go through the discipline process), and Congress wanted to cut that out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

It was part of the Administrative Leave Act in 2016, which actually was meant to cut down on paid admin leave by splitting it into defined categories and putting strict limits on some of them. We used to see people on admin leave for months sometimes while we were doing investigations or proposing adverse actions against them (because management didn't want them coming to the office but would still take forever to go through the discipline process), and Congress wanted to cut that out.

Thanks for the correction; seems reasonable, given how it's applied.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Please don't go into inappropriate detail, but what sorts of offenses took months to resolve?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Midjack posted:

Please don't go into inappropriate detail, but what sorts of offenses took months to resolve?

Some people are actually so incompetent you'd rather just pay them to not be there

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Midjack posted:

Most of the cases I've seen in my limited experience involve management dragging their feet--going days or weeks in between steps in an investigation, waiting for the whole management chain to be on board, getting HR and OGC to sign off on a proposal or decision letter, etc.

The biggest delays I've seen usually involve waiting on multiple processes to play out. Like if OIG or law enforcement are also involved, management usually waits until after that happens to take an action. I saw one case like that where a guy was on admin leave for over a year. That's almost never actually necessary, and after the changes to admin leave, you'd basically have to get Congressional approval to keep someone on leave for more than 90 days (I think).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midjack posted:

We had a person who was found to be taking work trips overseas, where he had an extramarital affair, and wasn't actually doing anything and making up his reports. Needless to say, management didn't want him around while the investigation was ongoing, so he was put on administrative leave during the investigation (which ended in him getting fired) and appeal (which he won and was reinstated due to a technicality). The whole process took over a year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

We had a person who was found to be taking work trips overseas, where he had an extramarital affair, and wasn't actually doing anything and making up his reports. Needless to say, management didn't want him around while the investigation was ongoing, so he was put on administrative leave during the investigation (which ended in him getting fired) and appeal (which he won and was reinstated due to a technicality). The whole process took over a year.
What happens when people get reinstated like that? Why would you go back to work where nobody likes you?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Josh Lyman posted:

What happens when people get reinstated like that? Why would you go back to work where nobody likes you?

Because you don't have a trust fund and need to make rent? Economic pressure is real for most people, and few are privileged enough to have employers offering comparable security and benefits clamoring to employ them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Loucks posted:

Because you don't have a trust fund and need to make rent? Economic pressure is real for most people, and few are privileged enough to have employers offering comparable security and benefits clamoring to employ them.
He was unemployed during the appeals process though. Did he get backpay for that period? Management already dislikes you, so what's to say they won't fire you again? It just seems like forcing yourself into a hostile work situation is asking for trouble. If he didn't have any other options then I understand, but a mid-career government employee should have decent options.

Lady Bureaucrazy
Jan 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

He was unemployed during the appeals process though. Did he get backpay for that period? Management already dislikes you, so what's to say they won't fire you again? It just seems like forcing yourself into a hostile work situation is asking for trouble. If he didn't have any other options then I understand, but a mid-career government employee should have decent options.

The point of the story is that he was on admin leave that whole time. He was getting paid to stay at home and wait for the investigation, and then the appeal, to play out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

He's still around and no one really cares since he's a good enough worker in the office. He had his responsibilities changed, though, and no longer travels.

Like, he's outlasted almost the entire management team that was around during that time.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

thatguy posted:

Some people are actually so incompetent you'd rather just pay them to not be there

Some people are so incompetent that they get promoted.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I sure miss Overtime

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

a friend mentioned taking zoom calls and i'm like lol no way would anyone want to take zoom calls with working camera for this job, especially now. but this also put the image in my head of a taxpayer calling in and seeing me in my pjs which would make a priceless sketch if that hasn't already been done

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Delorence Fickle posted:

Some people are so incompetent that they get promoted.
I was told this was part of why everyone was guaranteed to move up in USCIS, because either you were good and they wanted you doing more stuff or you were terrible and your supervisor wanted to get rid of you. I apparently learned the magic of the third way, being neither good nor bad

Also, administrativeleavechat: my favorite side story from my time in the government was in my first week, with my group of 15 newbies preparing to go to Texas for training. Thursday morning, the whole employee services team came in and told one of our people that they needed to talk to him.

None of us ever saw him again.

The only thing we ever heard, from the most-willing-to-talk-off-the-record supervisor, was that the guy was on administrative leave for many months, and the supervisor was not sure whether the employee was fired without really starting the job or gave up waiting and quit. We certainly think it had to be a clearance issue, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

a friend mentioned taking zoom calls and i'm like lol no way would anyone want to take zoom calls with working camera for this job, especially now. but this also put the image in my head of a taxpayer calling in and seeing me in my pjs which would make a priceless sketch if that hasn't already been done

Lol, I've already had kids come screaming at me with taxpayers on the line.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008
Huh, this is an interesting USCIS story...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8443997/Immigration-official-suspended-telling-black-girl-home-didnt-deserve-there.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

'OK, but you're coming at 15-year-olds,' the girl holding the cellphone said.

'So you're going to hit us with a car?' the other teen said.

'Because you're 15 years old?' Jeffers said. 'You could marry in Mississippi or Alabama.'

In fact, Mississippi is the only state where the general marriage age is 21, requiring parental consent to marry any younger. The marriage age is 18 in Alabama.

I don’t always choose to drop sick nasty burns on teenage girls by citing the legal age of marriage in surrounding states, but when I do I get them correct.