Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is the Star supposed to be a degree marker and if not what is 56* mean ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is the Star supposed to be a degree marker and if not what is 56* mean ?

Yes, that's what it means.

My stock 56 is ~105y and stock 60 is 85y, but my stock swing with any wedge is really a 3/4 swing compared to a regular iron swing.

4i carry is 215y, driver carry is 285y for reference.

I say Matt should take out the hybrid, because that's what I did and the 2i off the tee for short/narrow par 4s has been a game changer for me. Haven't missed the hybrid at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Think I’m gonna make a change or two to my bag. I’m realizing my gapping isn’t quite right.

Currently, yes I know I have one to many clubs, fixing that now.

10.5* driver - 275
15* 3 wood - 250
17* 2 iron - 225
19* 3 hybrid - 220
21* 4 iron - 200
24* 5 iron - 190
28* 6 iron - 180
32* 7 iron - 170
36* 8 iron - 160
40* 9 iron - 150
44* PW - 140
49* AW - 125
56* Wedge - 90
60* Wedge - 75

My biggest gap is between my wedges and it’s what’s currently giving me the most issues. I don’t have a good full 100 yard club. I have to either really step on my 56 or a 3/4 49. So I think I’m gonna take my hybrid and 56/60 up to the golf store tomorrow, trade them in and pick up a 54/58 wedge. I have way more shots that are in the 95-105 yard range that the 54 would do me well for and I feel it’d be easy to take some off the 58 for the shots I’d need it for.

Also, the distances for my upper irons are more or less within a 5-10 yard variance.

What do y’all think.
For my entire competitive golfing life, I played a 48/49* PW and 54/60 wedges. A few years ago, after getting irons with a 47* PW, I went to 52/56/60 and dropped my 3 iron. Yeah I could’ve bent my irons 1* weak, but most of the PGA Tour top 10 in proximity to the hole from 75-125 yd used 3 specialty wedges so I figured I might as well follow suit.

I haven’t actually played enough since then to know if it was the right move but it makes sense. I do miss my 3 iron for the rare 210-215 yd shot though.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 15, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Wedges at 50/54/58 seems a good fix. Drop the 2 iron to make bag weight.

You can take my 2 iron from my cold dead hands! I love that loving club lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

I say Matt should take out the hybrid, because that's what I did and the 2i off the tee for short/narrow par 4s has been a game changer for me. Haven't missed the hybrid at all.

This is exactly while I'll never get rid of the 2 iron. It's a loving fairway finder off the tee on narrow par 4s.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

For my entire competitive golfing life, I played a 48/49* PW and 54/60 wedges. A few years ago, after getting irons with a 47* PW, I went to 52/56/60 and dropped my 3 iron. Yeah I could’ve bent my irons 1* weak, but most of the PGA Tour top 10 in proximity to the hole from 75-125 yd used 3 specialty wedges so I figured I might as well follow suit.

I haven’t actually played enough since then to know if it was the right move but it makes sense. I do miss my 3 iron for the rare 210-215 yd shot though.

Curious as to what the rest of your clubs are if your PW is 47* especially your 9 iron.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

You can take my 2 iron from my cold dead hands! I love that loving club lol

My preseason club lineup went back to 3 and 4 irons, took out the hybrid/5 wood. I generally hit the 3i straighter with much less tendency to hit unwanted draws. But, I cannot dig out of the heavy rough with it, and had no holes at my regular course where I needed the 3 from the tee. I keep my alternates in the car, though, for some course around here.

How often do you hit the 2i? I took a look at my numbers after winter rounds and realized I just wasn't hitting the long irons often enough to keep them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

My preseason club lineup went back to 3 and 4 irons, took out the hybrid/5 wood. I generally hit the 3i straighter with much less tendency to hit unwanted draws. But, I cannot dig out of the heavy rough with it, and had no holes at my regular course where I needed the 3 from the tee. I keep my alternates in the car, though, for some course around here.

How often do you hit the 2i? I took a look at my numbers after winter rounds and realized I just wasn't hitting the long irons often enough to keep them.

2i off the tee as a driving iron is my go to club on par 4s that are less than 400 yards. I played 2 rounds on saturday on 2 different course and off the tee I used it 4 or 5 times between the 2 rounds and a hand full of times on the par 5s out of the fairway. I can step on it a bit off the tee and play a low stinger draw and get 15-20 more yards out of it if need be.

edit: I'm gonna hit the new Taylormade Sim Driver too today when I go. I love my Nike Vapor fly pro driver, but it's getting up there in age and I feel in the past 5 years since this driver was released the advances in driver tech will probably make a difference. Local PGA store had some pre-owned ones for not stupid prices last time I was in there so I figure what the hell, let's see.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 15, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

2i off the tee as a driving iron is my go to club on par 4s that are less than 400 yards. I played 2 rounds on saturday on 2 different course and off the tee I used it 4 or 5 times between the 2 rounds and a hand full of times on the par 5s out of the fairway. I can step on it a bit off the tee and play a low stinger draw and get 15-20 more yards out of it if need be.

edit: I'm gonna hit the new Taylormade Sim Driver too today when I go. I love my Nike Vapor fly pro driver, but it's getting up there in age and I feel in the past 5 years since this driver was released the advances in driver tech will probably make a difference. Local PGA store had some pre-owned ones for not stupid prices last time I was in there so I figure what the hell, let's see.

What's your hybrid use case? Just trouble club? Or is it your long approach club?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

What's your hybrid use case? Just trouble club? Or is it your long approach club?

Ya it was my trouble club or long approach, but the more I hit my 2 iron the better I've become with it and now can't hit the hybrid for poo poo lol

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Time to drop that hybrid.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Time to drop that hybrid.

Ya she gone, maybe PGA superstore will give me $20 in trade for it lol. It's a decent TM M1 hybrid so we'll see.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Ya she gone, maybe PGA superstore will give me $20 in trade for it lol. It's a decent TM M1 hybrid so we'll see.

I have an M1 I could never hit consistently. My gamer now is a Cobra F7 adjustable. That drat M1 was long as hell and left all day long, even set to full fade adjustment.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Woof. I'm so close to putting together a decent (for me) round but I keep getting thwarted by lost balls. These courses are loving unforgiving. Ball a couple of feet into the tall grass nowhere to be found, there goes two strokes. A little bit of an errant drive into the thick woods, two more strokes. Ended the day at 106, couple blow up holes due to getting in trouble early and not focusing. I'm actually encouraged by today, don't remember chunking it once (which has always been a problem for me) and cut down on my three-putts. Just need to stay out of trouble better.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 16, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wound up with 54/58 Titleist SM7s in black.

I also hit a used TM Sim driver but wasn’t feeling it at all. I have a feeling it’s because it was completely the wrong shaft and wrong loft.

My vapor fly pro driver is a XS 60g shaft at 10.5* and this was a S 65g shaft at 8.5*. Couldn’t hit my usual power fade for nothing, everything was slice city which only happens now when I really miss it. I hit probably 30-45 balls with the TM and not once did I see my usual ball flight on the screen. I’ve also been able to hit a draw with my Nike but no matter how hard I tried couldn’t do it with the Sim.

I think if I really want a new driver I’m going to have to break down and get proper fit by someone who has proper equipment and stop trying to buy off the shelf/random used.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Curious as to what the rest of your clubs are if your PW is 47* especially your 9 iron.
My current set is:

Titleist 915D3 8.5*
Titleist 915F 15*
Titleist 915F 18*
Titleist 716MB 4-PW
Vokey 52/56/60

The irons are stock loft so 43* 9 iron but I probably have fewer than 10 rounds with them. When Maryland reopens and I can get on a Mitchell machine to check/bend the lofts/lies, I’ll need to make a decision about whether to stick with the stock lofts or bend them weak off a 48* PW. Interestingly, a lot of the guys with 52* GW play a 46* PW, but it’s a specialty wedge so relatively speaking a 47* probably goes the same distance.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 16, 2020

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The Sim is also set at a pretty flat lie angle so that probably wasn't doing you any favors either.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

All through high school, my clubs were:

Titleist 915D3 8.5*
Titleist 915F 15*
Titleist 915F 18*
Titleist 716MB 4-PW
Vokey 52/56/60

The irons are stock loft so 43* 9 iron but I probably have fewer than 10 rounds with them. When Maryland reopens and I can get on a Mitchell machine to check/bend the lofts/lies, I’ll need to make a decision about whether to stick with the stock lofts or bend them weak off a 48* PW. Interestingly, a lot of the guys with 52* GW play a 46* PW, but it’s a specialty wedge so relatively speaking a 47* probably goes the same distance.

Josh you should remind people that you had a worldwide amateur ranking in golf at some point.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Josh you should remind people that you had a worldwide amateur ranking in golf at some point.
lol actually that post has a big mistake. I initially was going to talk about how my Titleist 990 irons in high school had a 49* PW and then I gave up and just talked about my current set but I didn’t quite remove the entirety of the original post.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I’ve been golfing for like 7 years and I started with a 44 PW (Cally Razr X) then went to 46 (Bstone J40 dpc) then went back to 44 (Cleveland Launcher CBX) and now I’m back to 46 (Mizuno MP20 mb). The biggest difference by far has been that I finally have a set that’s a little longer than standard and a couple degrees upright. I can just assume a natural posture and hit 145 yard draws all day long with my current PW and the same goes for the whole iron set. I still tend to have a 15 yard gap between the PW and my RTX4 50* gap wedge even though it’s specced the same but it’s not too bad overall.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Hello golf thread, it’s me Doctafun. As I said last spring, I bought a boat, which has been a very great investment of time and resources. Do not believe what anyone tells you about god drat boats and god drat boat trailers, they are the best and nothing ever goes wrong with either of them.

Now that that’s off my chest, I wanted to drop in and say that I had the best round of my life two weeks ago(69 dudes) and followed it up with a drat good round last week too(3 over through 14, in heavy winds)! The key is simple, I shortened my swing. I was making piss poor contact with my wedges and irons this year and finally took a video of my swing, and holy hell was it getting lengthy. I went to the range and told myself to take a 3/4 swing with each club and viola, solid contact throughout the bag.

However, in classic me fashion, I sold my putter 3 weeks ago on Facebook after it betrayed me, the heartless bastard. I’ve been using my dads old Scotty Cameron phantom futura, which is okay.

So which of you lovely thread participants has an old putter lying around that they’d like to sell and ship to me? I’m thinking of going back to an anser style putter for awhile, seems like the time is right, but I wouldn’t scoff at smaller mallets like the odyssey ‘Rossie’. As of now, I officially do not own a putter.

anyone looking to move an old flat stick not getting some love? I can PayPal, or I have some old scratch wedges I could package in the deal, a sweet pair of classy Callaway cleats that I only wore once, masters wind breaker, PayPal, etc.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Hello golf thread, it’s me Doctafun. As I said last spring, I bought a boat, which has been a very great investment of time and resources. Do not believe what anyone tells you about god drat boats and god drat boat trailers, they are the best and nothing ever goes wrong with either of them.

Now that that’s off my chest, I wanted to drop in and say that I had the best round of my life two weeks ago(69 dudes) and followed it up with a drat good round last week too(3 over through 14, in heavy winds)! The key is simple, I shortened my swing. I was making piss poor contact with my wedges and irons this year and finally took a video of my swing, and holy hell was it getting lengthy. I went to the range and told myself to take a 3/4 swing with each club and viola, solid contact throughout the bag.

However, in classic me fashion, I sold my putter 3 weeks ago on Facebook after it betrayed me, the heartless bastard. I’ve been using my dads old Scotty Cameron phantom futura, which is okay.

So which of you lovely thread participants has an old putter lying around that they’d like to sell and ship to me? I’m thinking of going back to an anser style putter for awhile, seems like the time is right, but I wouldn’t scoff at smaller mallets like the odyssey ‘Rossie’. As of now, I officially do not own a putter.

anyone looking to move an old flat stick not getting some love? I can PayPal, or I have some old scratch wedges I could package in the deal, a sweet pair of classy Callaway cleats that I only wore once, masters wind breaker, PayPal, etc.

I have 2 putters just sitting my garage doing nothing

Nike Method Origin B2-01
https://www.golfmagic.com/reviews/equipment/nike-method-origin-b2-01-putter-review

Nike Ignite 002
https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/golf-clubs/putters/nike/ignite/ignite-002-putter/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DOCTAFUN'S BACK :toot:

nerox
May 20, 2001
Have you considered putting with a long iron and using the extra club slot for a 72 Degree Wedge?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I've got a driver fitting at a local Club Champion today. Anyone wanna guess as to what I end up with?

Current driver specs

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 60g XS shaft @ 10.5* loft 115+mph swing speed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

old persimmon driver sitting in the corner collecting dust since 1978

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

old persimmon driver sitting in the corner collecting dust since 1978

I learned to play golf on those types of club, bring it on!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

speaking of, i just found this place making hickory clubs and oh my god this is great https://louisvillegolf.com/

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

mattfl posted:

I've got a driver fitting at a local Club Champion today. Anyone wanna guess as to what I end up with?

Current driver specs

I bet you come out of it with a SIM or a Mavrik with either a tensei white tx, or a VA composites Drago(my shafts) or a nemesys.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Current driver specs

Taylormade SIM 10.5*, maybe loft adjusted slightly higher.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Oooh, what would you be looking to get for that method origin? That would fit the bill perfectly!

nerox posted:

Have you considered putting with a long iron and using the extra club slot for a 72 Degree Wedge?

Lol no joke I was planning on just putting with my 60 degree wedge, I’m pretty decent at just ‘blading’ putts with it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My Costco Callaways came in and god drat are they nice for 499

It’s gonna be so nice to not borrow a set + golf wrong handed :toot:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My Costco Callaways came in and god drat are they nice for 499

It’s gonna be so nice to not borrow a set + golf wrong handed :toot:

hell yeah, lets go

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Changing the shaft vote to a tensei orange tx btw

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have a gap in my wedges that bothers me greatly. I play Ping irons that I dont know the degrees on.

50% SW - 50 yards
50% GW - 70 yards
SW -85 yards
GW - 110 yards
PW - 125 yards

so I'm kind of screwed at 90 to 100 yards. Should I just choke up on a GW?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Learn how to hit a low trajectory shaft parallel 9i/pw for your 90-100 yard shots and throw sexy darts into pins all day long.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If Docta doesn't want the Origin putter I'll take it. I'm looking to move on from my 2 ball putter.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Any recommendations for chipping instruction vids? I have some pretty bad yips and the local course has not opened up the chipping greens yet.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Unknownmass posted:

Any recommendations for chipping instruction vids? I have some pretty bad yips and the local course has not opened up the chipping greens yet.

No videos off the top of my head, but my general tip for chipping is that deceleration kills. Especially out of the rough or sand, you slow down on your down swing and you’re F’d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Unknownmass posted:

Search "Phil Mickelson short game" on YouTube. There's so much stuff there and Phil is one of the best short game players around.

E: what doctafun said too. Never ever ever decelerate. It will always wreck it.