Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I took these forever ago because I ran into some people who really hated Fourand insisted she was a villain. Both Four and Amuro make it very clear the machine has a destructive effect on the pilot's mind and forces them to do things they might otherwise not have done.

It's about as Evil as you can get in the UC timeline since there is no ZERO System or Devil Gundam.

I'd say the EXAM system is worse, and the Banshee's NT-D is competitive (since it does about the same thing). As far as we know, the Psycho Gundam doesn't require a Newtype's ghost to be tortured to work.

That said, I'd certainly say it's more evil than the ZERO system. That thing's nasty, but it's nasty like a 80 foot wave is nasty. It'll kill you if you let it, but if you're the right mix of skilled and lucky, you can ride it out no worse for the wear.

As for Four, she's... complicated. She is working for the Titans of her own free will, even if it's under false pretenses. The Psycho Gundam forces her to do things she doesn't want to do, but when she's free she doesn't fight the Titans. (She and Kamille have a scene where she states there's no real difference between the sides... and where Kamille realizes the differences between the shittiness of the AEUG and the shittiness of the Titans isn't just real, but a matter of utmost importance.)

It's not her fault she's on the wrong side, but it was her choices that kept her from moving onto the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Apparently we haven't pointed to the sign enough.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

But what if, and stick with me to the end here...

we did anyway?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Heck, even Char circa CCA might object. He's a piece of poo poo, but even at his worst he seems to think that Newtypes should be able to guide humanity... once he's done manipulating them into killing for him the old fashioned way. Even his cybernewtype is pretty much the most stable one we've seen.

I mean, even the Titans had Gates Cappa, who was a stable Newtype, so I wouldn't take the fact Gyunei was stable to be any kind of endorsement of him and not just of Nanai's improved process of creating them. I doubt Char cared whether Gyunei was stable or not. He didn't even seem to care about Quess, more to the point. As in, one of his final lines is "Oh, so that's why I found her annoying and just used her as a machine". I really can't see Char as having planned to let her be any kind of guiding figure, before or after Axis given that.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

NikkolasKing posted:

It's about as Evil as you can get in the UC timeline since there is no ZERO System or Devil Gundam.

The Zero system isn't even evil, the pilots just get lost in what possible futures it shows them, it just took the Gundam pilots, and zechs, a while to understand what was going on they all mastered the system by the show finale

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Didnt the epyon have a modified version of the zero system that was way more sinister and designed to make the pilot go crazy

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Onmi posted:

Good to know. I’ll take a baker’s dozen!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Didnt the epyon have a modified version of the zero system that was way more sinister and designed to make the pilot go crazy

I saw somewhere that the difference between Wing Zero and Epyon’s Newtype-O-Matic computers was that Wing Zero would show you all the paths that led to you winning while Epyon would show all the paths that led to you losing. I don’t remember where that comes from though so don’t cite me as a reference.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Blue Destiny looks cool, though

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Midjack posted:

I saw somewhere that the difference between Wing Zero and Epyon’s Newtype-O-Matic computers was that Wing Zero would show you all the paths that led to you winning while Epyon would show all the paths that led to you losing. I don’t remember where that comes from though so don’t cite me as a reference.

The one I heard was the epyon's would show you everything, including the simulated faces of the people you're killing and sprinkle in everything about you getting killed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

The Blue Destiny looks cool, though

Yeah, in terms of it being a horrible system for everyone involved, the exam system sucks, but it's really god drat cool. When you boot it up, it has the "exam system standby," it turns your suit's eyes red and can make your suit into this powerful bezerker. what's not to love?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Yeah, in terms of it being a horrible system for everyone involved, the exam system sucks, but it's really god drat cool. When you boot it up, it has the "exam system standby," it turns your suit's eyes red and can make your suit into this powerful bezerker. what's not to love?

That they made the upgrade a Gundam instead of a rad GM. :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ImpAtom posted:

That they made the upgrade a Gundam instead of a rad GM. :colbert:

Thats fair

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

GM's have never been rad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I won't even quote a post so wrong

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

The words all have definitions and the grammar is mostly correct but I can't make sense of this post.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Hmm. Hmm. Yes. On the other hand:

is infinitely better than just glowy red eyes.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Man I just caught up (I think) on Return of Johnny Ridden. How many more references can they jam into this plot?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ManSedan posted:

Man I just caught up (I think) on Return of Johnny Ridden. How many more references can they jam into this plot?

An ape dies Many references appear in every chapter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ManSedan posted:

If you just read the translation, I'd bet on "more".

It's been going on for years since the last translated chapter. I've actually got a couple volumes after. My Japanese isn't up to translating them fully yet, but it seems a lot's gone down.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

Midjack posted:

The last time this came up in the thread, there was some insistence that we see Epyon users experience flashes of their own death, but I cannot find any such thing in the animation so I'm not sure what the user in question was referring to. It may have happened in other Wing material like Glory of the Losers, Frozen Teardrop (which has any Epyon derived Altron if I recall) or something like that. Regardless, not only is there no instance of a pilot of the Epyon experiencing anything like visions of their own death in the animation, there are multiple instances where people refer to the systems in both Wing Zero and Epyon as being identical. As far as I can tell, the term Epyon System is just self-aggrandisement on Treize's part, and the actual system is functionally identical to the Zero System. Dorothy even says that they hooked the mobile dolls up to the Zero System to make the control interface she used as part of White Fang after Quatre asks about it. and not that she used the Epyon System, despite the system having been taken from the Epyon.

I think it's just people taking Treize's word that Epyon showed him he had no future super literally, and spinning some fanon out of that, but Heero and Zechs both talk about the Zero System showing them the future at points too, and it's actual function appears to be to compute myriad probabilities ultrafast, and feed them all to the pilot for them to sort through, so if anything Treize deciding it showed him he had no future seems to just be an indication he never actually mastered the system and couldn't direct it to show him how to achieve his goals or sort the wheat from the chaff it was feeding him.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 18, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

nice artwork of the three best Gundam series

https://twitter.com/1lfD6laDrSS8sAd/status/1273443458196242433?s=20

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Speaking of, where is a good place to watch Reconguista in G or the movies? Every time I search for it I just get old articles from when it was on YouTube on Gundam info.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Okay, I see Turn A, and the original, but... I'm not seeing a third best Gundam. Is there like a magic eye thing to see Mika or Domon?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

Okay, I see Turn A, and the original, but... I'm not seeing a third best Gundam. Is there like a magic eye thing to see Mika or Domon?

Looks like you need more TSUKAME PRAIDO, TSUKAME SUCCESS in your life.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Speaking of, where is a good place to watch Reconguista in G or the movies? Every time I search for it I just get old articles from when it was on YouTube on Gundam info.

as far as I can tell, your only legal option is to wait for it to come back on the gundaminfo youtube channel, because it's not on vrv/funi/hulu/netflix.

or, i guess, buy the blu-rays.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Hmm. Hmm. Yes. On the other hand:

is infinitely better than just glowy red eyes.

wait, when was blue destiny ever animated?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I think that’s from one of the Build Fighters series.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Well besides Build Fighters I think it also makes some cameos in various animated bits in some of the PS2 era games like Journey to Jaburo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Well besides Build Fighters I think it also makes some cameos in various animated bits in some of the PS2 era games like Journey to Jaburo

There may be some animated bits in the PS3 Gundam Side Stories remaster of BD too.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I found one "in the wild" and bought it for cheap as dirt!

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Bout 2-3 hours, over a 2 day period. Idk the rules for speed building, but I liked to make him custom and so the weapon itself is a piece of teal plastic leftover from the materials.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The gunpla thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Arigagto. I was looking for that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/zeniden_/status/1273624106638827521?s=20

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what is the meme around the big zam

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

what is the meme around the big zam

Once it enters mass production the Federation is finished.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Also there's a frequently referenced bit from Game Grumps where one of them refuses to pick anything but Big Zam in a Gundam fighting game, including fake outs like moving over the Dragon Gundam, and then just before the selection timer runs out going "Oh, Hey, Big Zam!"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Midjack posted:

tbh it seems more useful than the battleships in uc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I built a Big Zam and put the legs on backwards and it looks better that way :colbert: