Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Why are landlords getting paid twice under this plan (back rent installments and tax credit)? Why not just pay them once by having the state pay people’s rent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tacier posted:

Why are landlords getting paid twice under this plan (back rent installments and tax credit)? Why not just pay them once by having the state pay people’s rent?

They only get the tax credits, the government gets the debt and that's who you pay back

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the landlords supposedly get a tax credit for the amount of the rent. this is better than the state writing them a check for the amount of the rent because it lets the big landlords who have cash reserves and can wait to get their money at the end of the year do so but the idyllic small granny landlord who rents out her kids' old bedroom to pay for dialysis and can't swing a 12-month delay gets hosed.

thankfully there is also the market mechanism where granny can sell her pending tax credit to the big landlord for pennies on the dollar JG Wentworth-style

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 18, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

How the gently caress are people going to afford back rent lmao

More spineless neolib trash

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

How the gently caress are people going to afford back rent lmao

More spineless neolib trash

Broke: Student loan debt.

Woke: Rent loan debt.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Entering the brave future where it would not be uncommon for a single person to have student loan debt, medical debt, credit card debt, and now rent debt.

imo rename "consumers" to "debtors" in common parlance lmao welcome to America btihc!!!!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Doc Hawkins posted:

you may not like them, but they are part of the natural cycles of California, setting fires that clear away underbrush. without them fires would be more rare, but more damaging.

I've heard that indigenous peoples used to set up small, controlled PG&Es to manage the vast American forests and create paths for travel and game hunting.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

"What the gently caress, why is Palmdale trending on twitter? I hope nothing ba-"
https://twitter.com/diorslxt/status/1271482308105830401
WHAT THE gently caress

Oh hey the 2nd part of this story didn't make it to this thread. Shamelessly cross-posting the follow-up:

In Training posted:

here's neighbor cam footage from downstairs, no verbal warnings, LAPD clearly open fires and then starts yelling GET ON THE GROUND after he's dead.
https://twitter.com/Wiliam_Gregory/status/1273453406103826433?s=20

Yeah, still nothing suspicious about Robert Fuller getting hanged to death from a tree, or the LA cops murdering his half-brother in broad daylight for no reason. Now they just need to say the half-brother was a suspect in the hanging, he resisted arrest, and bing bang boom, case closed! Justice has been served, the system works.

:tif:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Kenning posted:

I've heard that indigenous peoples used to set up small, controlled PG&Es to manage the vast American forests and create paths for travel and game hunting.

nice

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fly Molo posted:

Oh hey the 2nd part of this story didn't make it to this thread. Shamelessly cross-posting the follow-up:

Yeah, still nothing suspicious about Robert Fuller getting hanged to death from a tree, or the LA cops murdering his half-brother in broad daylight for no reason. Now they just need to say the half-brother was a suspect in the hanging, he resisted arrest, and bing bang boom, case closed! Justice has been served, the system works.

nothing that a little implicit bias training wont fix

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Fly Molo posted:

The suicide claim got retracted and its being treated as a homicide with the FBI getting involved.

This happend like 2 days ago but literally nobody is actually reading the articles.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Telsa Cola posted:

The suicide claim got retracted and its being treated as a homicide with the FBI getting involved

oh whew, now that the FBI is involved justice is sure to be served!!!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Centrist Committee posted:

oh whew, now that the FBI is involved justice is sure to be served!!!

A coroner retracting a suicide claim and outside enforcment getting involved is like, a million miles better then what normally happens.

So yes its actually loving good news.

Jesus you people just need to devour yourselves and any small sign of good news, don't you?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Telsa Cola posted:

The suicide claim got retracted and its being treated as a homicide with the FBI getting involved.

This happend like 2 days ago but literally nobody is actually reading the articles.

oh cool, I’m sure they’ll perform a thorough investigation and actually catch the cops perpetrators if this turns out to be a white supremacist lynching then coverup by the LA cops

then the perpetrators will surely go to prison

and systematic reform will absolutely be done to make sure this never happens again.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Telsa Cola posted:

A coroner retracting a suicide claim and outside enforcment getting involved is like, a million miles better then what normally happens.

So yes its actually loving good news.

Jesus you people just need to devour yourselves and any small sign of good news, don't you?

This is America, OP. Black people getting murdered by the cops then the ‘investigations’ going nowhere, much less a conviction, is par for the course. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature, and the leaders of our state have no interest in burning away this type of systematic rot.

My god, think what the donors would think?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Telsa Cola posted:

oh, so public pressure got the FBI got involved and then LAC Sheriffs murdered the victim's brother.

woah, do you think, he maybe could have shed some light on the case? :wth:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Everyone tripping over themselves to be the most ironic poster in this thread is loving exhausting.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I feel like irony is funny if it's a goof, but definitely the more-blackpilled-than-thou sarcasm posting loving sucks.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s more of performative one upmanship for who can present as the most badass hardcore radical, but yeah, it’s tiresome.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

This is America, OP. Black people getting murdered by the cops then the ‘investigations’ going nowhere, much less a conviction, is par for the course. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature, and the leaders of our state have no interest in burning away this type of systematic rot.

My god, think what the donors would think?

Don't you loving tell me what black people have to deal with in the US.

Do you know who I think is happy with the development? His family and friends because now, no matter how unlikely, there is a chance of justice for their son and friend, rather then being swepped under the rug.

It loving galls me that whenever we see evidence that something is going right, no matter how small, after weeks of suffering and abuse, posters like you waltz into the loving thread and drop "Well you see, nothing matters and actually all the protest is meaningless you see".

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
No you see anything that doesn’t singlehandedly solve all of the problems we have at once is pointless weak liberal incrementalism worthy only of scorn.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well. Regardless - something EXTREMELY loving :psyboom: is going on in that town, and it is, no joke, pretty goddamn scary.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Still Dismal posted:

No you see anything that doesn’t singlehandedly solve all of the problems we have at once is pointless weak liberal incrementalism worthy only of scorn.

Solid username + post combo, gj

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Telsa Cola posted:

Do you know who I think is happy with the development? His family and friends because now, no matter how unlikely, there is a chance of justice for their son and friend, rather then being swepped under the rug.

It loving galls me that whenever we see evidence that something is going right, no matter how small, after weeks of suffering and abuse, posters like you waltz into the loving thread and drop "Well you see, nothing matters and actually all the protest is meaningless you see".

Another black guy got lynched, the cops already closed the case, then murdered the guy’s half-brother (while his wife and kid were in the car) once the FBI started sniffing around, and your takeaway is that my attitude is the problem?

I apologize, you’re right, let’s focus on the ‘evidence that something’s going right’, stay positive, and move on. I’m sure the FBI investigation will bring justice, and the cops brutally cracking down is a sign that the protests are working and nothing larger is broken. :nsa:

Still Dismal posted:

Well, you said it... except that pointless weak liberal incrementalism usually doesn’t even bother acknowledging that there is a problem.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

you make good points, but at the same time, lol you trust the FBI

you shouldn't assume that the FBI will fix everything. They're cops too. American cops. :heritage:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Usually there's not an independent investigation no matter how outrageously horrible the cops are. They just get away with it immediately and permanently.

You don't need to celebrate now that the FBI is involved, but it has at least the potential to nail the bad guys. It's not about staying positive, it's about seeing whether the promises cops made about fixing this poo poo (before it gets fixed for them) are something they actually make good on.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kenning posted:

I feel like irony is funny if it's a goof, but definitely the more-blackpilled-than-thou sarcasm posting loving sucks.

i agree. sincerity is frightening but i'll try to do better.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

Rah! posted:

you make good points, but at the same time, lol you trust the FBI

you shouldn't assume that the FBI will fix everything. They're cops too. American cops. :heritage:

I get being cynical about cops, but christ it was barely a month ago that getting the GBI involved with the Ahmaud Arbery case resulted in Good poo poo happening.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Still Dismal posted:

Landlords are a powerful but beatable enemy in California land use politics. The real evil mega-boss, however, is homeowners.

Home ownership really does rot a person's political imagination. I have had long long arguments about how self driving cars are, one most likely not going to be a thing and two even if they are going to be a thing they will an over engineered transportation solution that gives you some of benefits of rail. They just keep giving me the variations of either self driving cars are going to change everything or rail is to expensive to build.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Face coverings are mandatory now

This document updates existing CDPH guidance for the use of cloth face coverings by the general public when outside the home. It mandates that face coverings be worn state-wide in the circumstances and with the exceptions outlined below. It does not substitute for existing guidance about social distancing and handwashing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

i agree. sincerity is frightening but i'll try to do better.

You're good bud, we're all trying to loving deal, there's a lot going on rn.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
This is happening in Oakland tomorrow:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ay3xm/one-of-americas-most-powerful-unions-will-shut-down-29-ports-on-juneteenth
https://www.thenation.com/article/economy/dockworkers-union-shutdown-george-floyd/

The DSA will also be participating alongside the strikers. Apparently Angela Davis will be speaking at the port, and Boots Riley, Danny Glover and Cat Brooks will be speaking at Oscar Grant Plaza.

E: technically the shutdown isn't just happening in Oakland but you know what I mean

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 18, 2020

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

adoration for none posted:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ay3xm/one-of-americas-most-powerful-unions-will-shut-down-29-ports-on-juneteenth
https://www.thenation.com/article/economy/dockworkers-union-shutdown-george-floyd/

The DSA will also be participating alongside the strikers. Apparently Angela Davis will be speaking at the port, and Boots Riley, Danny Glover and Cat Brooks will be speaking at Oscar Grant Plaza.

Looks like every west coast port lol drat. And yeah what a lineup of people

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

adoration for none posted:

E: technically the shutdown isn't just happening in Oakland but you know what I mean

Nice!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

if any of you fellow workers are remotely close to the area and want to march with a drill team that carries hooks, you should go.

if you don't want to march, that's cool, you should also go, just go to the plaza in front of city hall 11ish instead of the port at 10ish.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1273754766787502080

Do the CHUDs even remember when this guy was governor?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1273754766787502080

Do the CHUDs even remember when this guy was governor?

He belongs to a less rabid age. They'd all hate him now.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Despite having lived through the years of that reality when I think "the Terminator was governor" my brain still kind of sloughs it off like "no that must have been a dream."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Christ. I remember people being absolutely furious at Grey Davis, for causing the rolling blackout crisis being victimized by Enron's illegal market manipulation in the rolling blackout crisis, which is how we wound up with Arnold in the first place.

I also remember Pete Wilson. Remember that fucker? He seems so... mild and acceptable nowadays, compared to the flavor of Republican the country is blessed with anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Leperflesh posted:

Christ. I remember people being absolutely furious at Grey Davis, for causing the rolling blackout crisis being victimized by Enron's illegal market manipulation in the rolling blackout crisis, which is how we wound up with Arnold in the first place.

I also remember Pete Wilson. Remember that fucker? He seems so... mild and acceptable nowadays, compared to the flavor of Republican the country is blessed with anymore.

The big thing I remember people grousing about when Davis was in office was the increase to vehicle registration fees.