Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Gray Ghost posted:

I actually think the Ancestries & Cultures release by Arcanist Press should probably just be used instead. Check it out here .

Took them 2 months compared to however many years for WotC.

I wrote this almost two years ago. I'm sure it's imperfect in retrospect, but I'm waiting to find out that WOTC steals that such I adopted from 13th Age.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/250734

Or they'll blatantly steal from this product that staff already knows about.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/287638/Grazilaxxs-Guide-to-Ancestry

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Good on them.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Eastmabl posted:

I wrote this almost two years ago. I'm sure it's imperfect in retrospect, but I'm waiting to find out that WOTC steals that such I adopted from 13th Age.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/244078

I think you meant https://www.dmsguild.com/product/250734/Mordenkainens-Musings-Nature--Nurture-in-the-Multiverse ?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

quote:

Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.

New feat: One of the Good Ones!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

quote:

Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.

For only $19.99 plus p&p you too can have permission to not play a racist stereotype!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Whybird posted:

For only $19.99 plus p&p you too can have permission to not play a racist stereotype!

...at the discretion of your DM.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Okay, look, I know that they're still behind the curve and it remains to be seen whether or not they will follow up on this, but I think we can agree that this is a promising statement if intent, no?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

They can make all the statements in the world but for me personally as long as Mike Mearls stays on the payroll WotC can gently caress off

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

paradoxGentleman posted:

Okay, look, I know that they're still behind the curve and it remains to be seen whether or not they will follow up on this, but I think we can agree that this is a promising statement if intent, no?

It's a statement about a possible upcoming announcement of a product that might be coming out next year.

They also announced that they'd set up a contact point for people who got hosed over when Mike loving Mearls passed their contact details directly to his friend the pants making GBS threads rapist, and that was a year and a half ago, so...

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's definitely better than just remaining silent and pretending the issue doesn't exist, as they are doing with the whole Mike Mearls thing.

Which are confusing statements, especially considering how every reply to their efforts is met with hundreds of people requesting for the later.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Why the heck are they so darn loyal to Mike Mearls?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Because they love being evil shits, it's not that complicated. They like Zak and love that he's a pants-making GBS threads rapist because only systemic enabling of cruelty and harassment can give them boners anymore.

It's not about business or contracts or anything legal or rational. They're just incredibly horny for doing the cruelest, most malevolent thing possible every goddamn second of every goddamn day.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My guess is that they're trying to pander to both sides of the gaming community coin and think that addressing some issues will give them enough clout to retain the more socially conscious while letting Mearls carry on avoids losing the retrograde toxic nerds.

I don't think they're "evil for evil's sake" I just think they are A Company and want to Make Money. They will follow what they feel will bring and retain the most people, and the community is very divided so they make all of these half measures and contradictory approaches.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Loxbourne posted:

Inertia.

It takes a lot of work to fire someone, especially to fire someone who has been in a job a long time and has a lot of support in the community. They don't want to make the effort, even if they're fully aware of how poo poo he is, which is honestly doubtful.

The corp also don't give a gently caress about BEING evil, it gives a gently caress about APPEARING evil, and Mearls doesn't appear evil enough to enouhg of their audience to affect their bottom line, so they DGAF.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's not like "D&D But Marginally Less Racist" was something it took top scientists a decade working in a secret lab to just now crack, as far as statements of intent go "we've decided it might be financially advantageous for us to catch up to where a bunch of other folks have been for decades so soon you'll have the privilege of paying us for optional anti-bioessentialism errata" is pretty fuckin weak tea.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I understand where you're coming from, it just... I dunno, it feels weird to see the biggest name in the industry take a shy, tentative step towards being more progressive, thus exposing more fans of tabletop gaming to this idea than any indie darling could, and the reception being so cold.

I wouldn't hail them as saviors either, but drat, I would still call this an overall win for the good guys. Not as good as it would be if they gave Mearls the boot, but still.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hostile V posted:

I do think it's good of Stolze to outline what to expect from him in a social encounter because it gives people something to hold him accountable to while also helping him put pre-emptive boundaries out there.

It's also a pretty cunning way of trying to establish a broader community standard, as well as a clear set of "these are the boundaries people habitually cross at cons when they do sketchy poo poo". If Greg Stolze doesn't consider it professionally necessary to breach any of these guidelines, what's everyone else's excuse? If Greg Stolze is happy to have a one-to-one talk somewhere in public view or doesn't need to take you back to his hotel room for gaming, why should others insist on that?

Sometimes, for some of the things, the answer will be "there's specific needs at work here", like the person in question has hearing difficulties and finds it hard to have an in-depth, involved conversation on a noisy con floor or whatever. Which is fine. But others clearly aren't necessary, like the alcohol thing. And each of them individually are potential red flags if someone breaks the rule in question.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

Management ghouls have staked their whole belief system that the only thing that makes anything successful is management. Because Mearls was in charge of D&D when the number went up he must be the reason. Despite the reason quite obviously being it being featured in other more successful outside media. Also similar to DoctorWhat's explanation they genuinely have no human empathy whatsoever. You don't get to be in charge of a company if you are really human inside. So it doesn't matter what horrible poo poo anyone did, the only thing that matters is if it makes people mad enough to make the number go do. The number has not yet gone down, and until that happens it wouldn't matter if Mearls was an escaped war criminal, wanted on genocide charges.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's not like it hasn't been known that there were issues with racial representation in D&D for decades, WotC

Eric Boyd tried to make the Gur (a Romani stereotype that got shoved into the Realms) less racist in 2003. This has already been a big, known problem for DECADES

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

But but but this time they've employed a romani consultant and done some hiring from the beautiful diversity and their names are uh um um ah their ah names um.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

paradoxGentleman posted:

I understand where you're coming from, it just... I dunno, it feels weird to see the biggest name in the industry take a shy, tentative step towards being more progressive, thus exposing more fans of tabletop gaming to this idea than any indie darling could, and the reception being so cold.

I wouldn't hail them as saviors either, but drat, I would still call this an overall win for the good guys. Not as good as it would be if they gave Mearls the boot, but still.

We are not obligated to applaud when someone does the bare minimum for the first time.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

quote:

Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk.

now, more than ever, you can buy our product

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Yes, thanks. Fixed in the original.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

now, more than ever, you can buy our product

The awkward situation people have pointed out a couple times is that in organized official 5e play you only get to use one supplement per character. So you have to spend your supplement use on the supplement to make the game less biologically essentialist?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Arivia posted:

The awkward situation people have pointed out a couple times is that in organized official 5e play you only get to use one supplement per character. So you have to spend your supplement use on the supplement to make the game less biologically essentialist?

Is this true? I have never really thought about the organized/living campaign path stuff. Holy poo poo.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Green Intern posted:

Is this true? I have never really thought about the organized/living campaign path stuff. Holy poo poo.

Adventurers League for D&D is Players Handbook + 1 other source. They make make an exception for this but who knows.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's a really dumb rule

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah... it's ostensibly for balance but some of the most powerful builds only use the PHB. Really it just makes it harder to make cool characters.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I can understand why it exists. If you want to keep a supplement treadmill rolling but not have to worry that someone will find an inter-supplement game-breaking combo (as people do with Magic, and did with 3.x) then the +1 rule means that each supplement only needs to be checked against itself and the PHB for game-breaking shenanigans. It's a hedge that lets them keep making material without an ever-increasing amount of time being spent on balance passes.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Kaysette posted:

Yeah... it's ostensibly for balance but some of the most powerful builds only use the PHB. Really it just makes it harder to make cool characters.

Cool often means not-iconic (oddly), and I think that simplicity is something you want to aim for in Organized Play. For the home game, the GM can take the time to make sure nothing's broken (doing the balance on behalf of WotC). The GMs I know who GM 5E allow characters in without approval at PHB+1, and allow any more options with review.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The thing that I've been thinking they'd do, and honestly this makes me think it's more likely. Is release this and the Class Variant stuff they've been testing in UA as a "PHB 2".

Maybe an updated Ranger Class will finally get published....

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If they care about balance they shouldn't be making a game on 3.5's skeleton at all

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
what if they had some kind of "players handbook 2" that was also core and had the less racist things in

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

what if they had some kind of "players handbook 2" that was also core and had the less racist things in

That's the hope.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's a(n over)reaction to the alleged problem of supplement dumpster-diving, where you'd cobble together a 3e or 4e character with a bunch of different character options all taken from a dozen different supplements, which ostensibly bad because there are certain rules interactions that people might not anticipate and can break the game, and also places some practical stresses on the group or the DM either having to be familiar with the material itself to "validate" your character, or taking your word for it

I do agree that it's a dumb rule, and especially since they've also said that part of the reason why 5e doesn't have as many supplements is to prevent supplement bloat

so not only are they instituting a rule that marginally influences people to buy fewer books, they're also producing fewer books in general, and they're trying to play-off both of these points as Actually Good Things

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Is this the thread where we're hating on the WotC statement because I'm real mad about it.

I'm almost impressed by how much nothing can be said in such a long article. On a statement about "commitment to diversity" there's nothing about BLM or Pride; in fact all the commitments to diversity say almost nothing about what groups, specifically, have been targeted for exclusion in nerd circles, which suggests to me they either don't really know what the problem is or (more likely) are spineless cowards scared of alienating their white cishet male players base.

Just say you support BLM and LGBTQ+ folks, and say if someone doesn't they can Get Out.

Also citing Eberron, a property now two editons old as a recent milestone of progress is lol. As is citing Mercer's campaign book, since Mercer had to mod DnD to be less problematic.

It's mealy mouthed and tone deaf and I hate it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a(n over)reaction to the alleged problem of supplement dumpster-diving, where you'd cobble together a 3e or 4e character with a bunch of different character options all taken from a dozen different supplements, which ostensibly bad because there are certain rules interactions that people might not anticipate and can break the game, and also places some practical stresses on the group or the DM either having to be familiar with the material itself to "validate" your character, or taking your word for it

It's yet another copout to try to cover for the fact that no one working for WotC can design a roleplaying game for poo poo.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Too bad every single edition the most obvious and terrible imbalances are baked right into the core rulebook, and it is never the supplements that are the problem except in the minds of broke-brain GMs.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Countblanc posted:

If they care about balance they shouldn't be making a game on 3.5's skeleton at all

4E is right there and feels hurt by your ignorant statement

gradenko_2000 posted:

so not only are they instituting a rule that marginally influences people to buy fewer books, they're also producing fewer books in general, and they're trying to play-off both of these points as Actually Good Things

Oh, it gets better. I have a friend that plays AL a bunch and because of this I know that by attending certain events you can get basically special permission to include extra sources for specific characters. So there's an extra layer of paying real bucks to ignore the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darwinism posted:

Oh, it gets better. I have a friend that plays AL a bunch and because of this I know that by attending certain events you can get basically special permission to include extra sources for specific characters. So there's an extra layer of paying real bucks to ignore the rules.

And they said D&D wasn't an MMO :smugdon: