Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Chadzok posted:

I've tried this line of argument and it doesn't work. My gf is still yelling at me to get a job

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

When does this kick in? For any future class you take, or just for people signing up to new degrees entirely? Because I'm in my third year but am considering deferring a lot of classes (well, I'm basically going to have to defer my placement) because of COVID.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

If you're interested in this look up "Bullshit Jobs" by David Graeber. actually I'll look it up for you: https://www.strike.coop/bullshit-jobs/

His book "Debt: The First 5000 years" is also excellent

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

freebooter posted:

When does this kick in? For any future class you take, or just for people signing up to new degrees entirely? Because I'm in my third year but am considering deferring a lot of classes (well, I'm basically going to have to defer my placement) because of COVID.

Currently enrolled degrees have grandfathered fee structures. (although if fees are going down you will be allowed to take advantage of that). The increase only applies to degrees started from the new year afaik.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

OK good. Well, good for me, still gently caress this

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Another really cool move by a class of politicians whose tertiary education was likely free.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Cartoon posted:

I pointed out, at the time, that generally someone in a technical area has some idea of a 'ballpark'. This would not have passed any number of sniff tests.

When you are collating this data to do a total in excel it would have taken 10 seconds to add a column for the ratio of payout to revenue.
Given the form would have at least asked for their annual revenue to 1 significant figure, people putting 1500x their employee count would have raised a bit of a red flag that the payout was gonna be 100000% of their revenue

Doing that check would have been just as hard as coming to the total number, unless the total was calculated by someone flicking through paper forms with a calculator.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah this is going to gently caress the GO8 harder than COVID.

And I'd remind you that the government did nothing about the COVID-loving either.

This is the opposite of the solution that higher education needs.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
so are the gov going to up the non-student contribution part of tuition funding for the subject areas with much lower student contribution amounts?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Also Covid was a get out of jail free card for the disaster that was the bushfire responce a few months ago now.

Not years, months

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Laserface posted:

the ones we are seeing are predominantly office 365 phishing sites with the URL claiming to be an unpaid invoice or some other call to action.

possibly due to everyone WFH attackers are trying to compromise personal machines at home and then using that as a means to get into big orgs.

Yeah it's always the same "verify your account" phishing link, signed by professor student name.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
This is about culture but not only that. The liberal party and their members are made up of people who are convinced that the humanities is largely a waste of time, for taxpayers and students. A luxury borne by economic boom times which are soon coming to an end. In their minds, this is their chance to rectify that. To rationalize tertiary education and build a bulwark of vocational skills to navigate the coming economic storm.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Stevefin posted:

Also Covid was a get out of jail free card for the disaster that was the bushfire responce a few months ago now.

Not years, months

imagine if we had covid and bushfire ash at the same time

you cant breathe outside AND what you breathe is going to gently caress your lungs

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

norp posted:

When you are collating this data to do a total in excel it would have taken 10 seconds to add a column for the ratio of payout to revenue.
Given the form would have at least asked for their annual revenue to 1 significant figure, people putting 1500x their employee count would have raised a bit of a red flag that the payout was gonna be 100000% of their revenue

Doing that check would have been just as hard as coming to the total number, unless the total was calculated by someone flicking through paper forms with a calculator.

financial literacy and numeracy is very limited in the public service, and these things do not go through much if any quality assurance. by coincidence, the estimated cost of the program was off by exactly the same amount as the error introduced by mistakes in filling out the forms (ie $60 billion). what most likely happened is that executives saw that the estimated cost was exactly the same as the "actual" cost, patted themselves on the back for being so good at estimating costs, and nobody bothered to actually look at the spreadsheet to realise that the "actual" cost was $60 billion more than it should have been.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Lid posted:

Morrison made some simultaneously specific but very vague announcement that Australia is under a months long sustained state-based cyberattack. It's either China or Russia but they won't say.

It's China, they just can't say it's China because attribution is difficult. (It's China, though.)
The whole thing is just a big presser/push for the ACSC.
Which like, good, I guess, more people should patch their poo poo and be conscious of cybersecurity but this isn't really news so much as a cybersecurity puff piece.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lid posted:

imagine if we had covid and bushfire ash at the same time

you cant breathe outside AND what you breathe is going to gently caress your lungs

give it time.

About 8 months, specifically

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Fifteen THOUSAND dollars per year for an arts degree.

I love that someone clearly thinks it's possible to learn a language without learning about the society and culture that actually uses that language. Which is also at odds with the aim of the New Columbo Plan scholarships, which are designed to give undergrads the opportunity to go overseas and learn about the Indo-pacific region.

wild drama llama
Jun 18, 2020
https://twitter.com/MehreenFaruqi/status/1273833978575740928

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But guys, minimum wage has increased by an entire $13 a week for full time workers!

Why, with that sort of money people will be paying back their uni debts in no time.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Amethyst posted:

Fifteen THOUSAND dollars per year for an arts degree.

At least there will be less law and business grads

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Why can't the world be as pure as Burgo's twitter feed

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Scylo posted:

I love that someone clearly thinks it's possible to learn a language without learning about the society and culture that actually uses that language. Which is also at odds with the aim of the New Columbo Plan scholarships, which are designed to give undergrads the opportunity to go overseas and learn about the Indo-pacific region.

When I did a dip.lang the courses included ones about the society and cultures that used that language, so that's less of a concern to me than just...loading up whole bunch more people with student debt. I don't think the extra HECS will actually be the deterrent they think it is.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’m fine with less lawyers, business and commerce graduates tbh

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

We need more people into trades. You won’t believe what a tiler quoted me the other day.

We need more competition in trades to push wages down so I can pay people less.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Conversely, does this also mean that STEM degrees and any of the other ones that are decreasing will be funded less per student who signs up?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

The Before Times posted:

When I did a dip.lang the courses included ones about the society and cultures that used that language, so that's less of a concern to me than just...loading up whole bunch more people with student debt. I don't think the extra HECS will actually be the deterrent they think it is.

yep. it's quite unlikely i'll ever earn enough to have to pay the HECS back (fine arts...) so I can't say I really give a poo poo

still bad of course, but doesn't change what I'm going to do

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

hambeet posted:

We need more people into trades. You won’t believe what a tiler quoted me the other day.

I remember a bit on Rove Live where Rove did pretending to be Howard with this exact sentiment back when that was a thing.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Like I am psure the effect of this will be to essentially rip funding out of the faculties with the new lower fees, which will mean unis will take even more money from Arts faculties than they already are to subsidise the cost of delivering the other degrees (and to fund research)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

hambeet posted:

That's not really a joke it's just policy.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

the biggest cost in delivering a law degree, for example, is the lecturers and tutors. same with many of the humanities degrees. but with a lot of STEM degrees there's equipment, lab and tech costs that mean it's more expensive to deliver.

I remember the tutors/lecturers in my writing degree back in 2012 complaining that teaching hours and number of tutorials were reduced so that the uni could funnel more money into research, increase their rankings, and attract more international students. This move is just going to encourage more of that, isn't it??? unless there's something else I'm missing

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hambeet posted:

I used to work in a servo near an industrial area, I heard this a lot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If the government actually wanted unemployment to go down they'd start hiring people

Just look at a Centrelink that's over 50% empty desks (pre-corona)

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I was ranting to a mate/ex-colleague literally yesterday about the LNP war on access to tertiary education, what a coinkydinky

Considering how much money I still owe on my HECS debt, I can't believe I was such an idiot and went to uni in Australia. I imagine a lot of the savvier kids with EU passports will be helping accelerate the australian brain drain in coming years by moving to europe to study for free/very cheap and then just never coming back

anidavshalom
Jun 10, 2020
We need MORE money into the arts, not less!

anidavshalom
Jun 10, 2020
That's a lot of breasts.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Assessor of Maat posted:

yep. it's quite unlikely i'll ever earn enough to have to pay the HECS back (fine arts...) so I can't say I really give a poo poo

still bad of course, but doesn't change what I'm going to do

I'm earning enough to star repaying mine, except I'll need to be earning around $80k a year just to cover the interest it accrues.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I saw this strange take shared by some gronk on facebook

So, like, do nothing I guess :shrug:

This is coming from the same person who thought banning straws was the moral equivalent to Aktion T4 because of how the disabled were going to be disproportionately affected.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

gay picnic defence posted:

I saw this strange take shared by some gronk on facebook

So, like, do nothing I guess :shrug:

This is coming from the same person who thought banning straws was the moral equivalent to Aktion T4 because of how the disabled were going to be disproportionately affected.

There is truth to it but also yeah just do loving nothing and let the taxpayer funded gunmen keep ruling the streets. Trust and authority is earned so give some new system a chance.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

She's not saying to do nothing, though. She's just pointing out that "just replace them with social workers" isn't a complete solution because social workers are a part of a system that still is systemically racist.

If you want an example of this close to home, examine how many Aboriginal children are taken out of their homes by social workers. Stolen Generations poo poo is still going on, just look at NSW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

CrazyTolradi posted:

She's not saying to do nothing, though. She's just pointing out that "just replace them with social workers" isn't a complete solution because social workers are a part of a system that still is systemically racist.

If you want an example of this close to home, examine how many Aboriginal children are taken out of their homes by social workers. Stolen Generations poo poo is still going on, just look at NSW.

Yeah for the posts above saying “we’ll do nothing then” that’s the same argument chuds have to criticism of so many things

It’s really reductive