Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I get those every couple of months, better get used to it, they issue them constantly.

We coordinated with Citywide IT to have them marked as spam. You should do this too.

The Oldest Man posted:

The inside city hall thing was basically a dumb photo op, and while I appreciate Sawant being a consistent voice of opposition it's really irritating to have her trotting out Tax Amazon at a moment of historic visibility for BLM and defunding police.

I agree, and she rightly got called out for it a little bit but I really hope she realizes this is an area where even she needs to fall back and boost. I’m not fond of criticizing her tone etc. because that gets wrapped up in a lot of sexism and racism, but I want her to do better.

poo poo, I can email her office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

George posted:

We coordinated with Citywide IT to have them marked as spam. You should do this too.

I agree, and she rightly got called out for it a little bit but I really hope she realizes this is an area where even she needs to fall back and boost. I’m not fond of criticizing her tone etc. because that gets wrapped up in a lot of sexism and racism, but I want her to do better.

I meant I regularly get notified by legal that they’ve FOIA’d my info, and then I get lots of mailings from them. It’s annoying, but whatever, let them waste their $0.0031 on me

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

One thing I've been noticing is that every day a bit after 5pm one of the idiotic riot trucks with the geared out assholes hanging off of it zips down Burnside. I haven't caught the greatest view of them but I guess they're probably sherrifs from the burnside office heading downtown to get in on the fun. It's such a pointlessly stupid show of force. What if one of them falls off of it on the way? I mean, I don't think they should be out there at all, but it just annoys the piss out of me that they have to be so showy about instead of driving down there in regular vehicles. It feels intentional to intimidate the neighborhoods. I don't know. It's obviously the smallest thing in the world right now, but it still pisses me off because it's so pointlessly antagonistic.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

One thing I've been noticing is that every day a bit after 5pm one of the idiotic riot trucks with the geared out assholes hanging off of it zips down Burnside. I haven't caught the greatest view of them but I guess they're probably sherrifs from the burnside office heading downtown to get in on the fun. It's such a pointlessly stupid show of force. What if one of them falls off of it on the way? I mean, I don't think they should be out there at all, but it just annoys the piss out of me that they have to be so showy about instead of driving down there in regular vehicles. It feels intentional to intimidate the neighborhoods. I don't know. It's obviously the smallest thing in the world right now, but it still pisses me off because it's so pointlessly antagonistic.

It’s all theater; they put on their soldier costumes and drive around in armored vehicles to intimidate and make themselves feel “badass”

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

What if one of them falls off of it on the way?

https://twitter.com/aramshabanian/status/1266875523369562112?s=21

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The panicked pepper spraying is the best part.

No problem is above violent force, even if that problem is a force of nature like gravity or inertia.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

George posted:

I'm not going to tone police her but I am going to give her a hard time for showing up at a BLM rally in a "TAX AMAZON" face mask that you can buy on her site. I'm also generally against making the tool the message rather than outcome we want to achieve using the tool. Why the gently caress is her slogan "TAX AMAZON... for public housing" and not "PUBLIC HOUSING... by taxing Amazon" etc. Either way, this is not the moment to center things other than BLM and defunding police.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Congratulations Seattle, you did it.

https://twitter.com/katrinabhaydon/status/1271599728556376069

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

What is going on with the eyebrows there? Oh my god! I had not actually seen a picture of what Jason Rantz looks like now - the last photo I had seen must have been some glamour shot from when he was younger - and it's not good.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

gohuskies posted:

What is going on with the eyebrows there? Oh my god! I had not actually seen a picture of what Jason Rantz looks like now - the last photo I had seen must have been some glamour shot from when he was younger - and it's not good.

There is a reason he was in Radio.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Has our reality merged with the Shadowrun universe or something, when are the dragons going to awaken?

George
Nov 27, 2004

logger posted:

Has our reality merged with the Shadowrun universe or something, when are the dragons going to awaken?

We actually got Berlin’s fate IIRC.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lmao ppb is asking for public help identifying people setting dumpsters on fire. Mainly so they can build their dangerous protester counter narrative I guess. I mean there’s zero chance they expect this to come to anything cuz who the gently caress is going to snitch on someone for a dumpster fire and if they did how would you even prove it. https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/762541

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

lmao ppb is asking for public help identifying people setting dumpsters on fire. Mainly so they can build their dangerous protester counter narrative I guess. I mean there’s zero chance they expect this to come to anything cuz who the gently caress is going to snitch on someone for a dumpster fire and if they did how would you even prove it. https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/762541

Presumably it would be how most people get caught for illegal activity online: Because they proudly posted video of themselves doing it, under their own name.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Kaal posted:

Presumably it would be how most people get caught for illegal activity online: Because they proudly posted video of themselves doing it, under their own name.

Well let’s hope there was the tiniest bit of forethought by them then because I don’t know what the criminal penalty for starting a fire in a dumpster is but I’m almost certain it’s many times more severe than any potential harm

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Find the names of cops and report them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

who the gently caress is going to snitch on someone for a dumpster fire

Sounds like they are looking for someone to blame for their handling of the protests...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Atlanta burns bright enough to make our dumpsters look rather comical.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Uh oh

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Inslee announced mandatory weekly furloughs from June 28-July 25th and then once monthly until November for state employees. Fun.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Surely the laws in place mandating a balanced budget like our state is a loving household will never bite us in the rear end, not during an unprecedented public health and economic crisis or anything.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Surely the laws in place mandating a balanced budget like our state is a loving household will never bite us in the rear end, not during an unprecedented public health and economic crisis or anything.

Unfortunately states can't run a deficit like the federal government can. This was really up to congress to hold state budgets up while we ride out the pandemic, but that dropped out of the conversation as soon as we regressed to defending the idea of even encouraging isolation at all. Maybe once red states are starting to face the full brunt of things, they'll take a second look.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 19, 2020

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Ditocoaf posted:

Unfortunately states can't run a deficit like the federal government can. This was really up to congress to hold state budgets up while we ride out the pandemic, but that dropped out of the conversation as soon as we regressed to defending the idea of even encouraging isolation at all. Maybe once red states are starting to face the full brunt of things, they'll take a second look.

Washington's law requiring a balanced budget is a law, not part of our constitution, so it could be suspended if they wanted to. That said, it'd be tough. First of all they'd need to get the votes which aren't a sure thing since it could be politically scary to moderate Dems, second it'd have to be implemented by our Republican state treasurer Duane Davidson who is sure to do everything he can to stop it from happening. He's likely to lose his re-election to a Democrat this year so it wouldn't be as much of a problem in 2021, but if the legislature is trying to do the emergency response in 2020 thing, Davidson will try to make it as challenging as possible. There are other little budget tricks they can try to sort of unbalance the budget too - I can't recall if they actually did this or not but in the last recession they talked a lot about shifting a ton of payments back a day so that several hundred million dollars in spending would happen on July 1st instead of June 30th and so count for the next fiscal year instead of the current fiscal year, that kind of stuff.

Ultimately though yes there needs to be federal aid to states/cities/counties, that's what absolutely must happen here.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

gohuskies posted:

Ultimately though yes there needs to be federal aid to states/cities/counties, that's what absolutely must happen here.

It is what needs to happen...

It is not what is going to happen. I think they know that if any aid goes out to states blue states will be able to keep up their efforts to control the pandemic. The GOP is basically forcing them through insolvency

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It is what needs to happen...

It is not what is going to happen. I think they know that if any aid goes out to states blue states will be able to keep up their efforts to control the pandemic. The GOP is basically forcing them through insolvency

Yeah. This is like the greatest opportunity for forced austerity in a long time. If you think they aren’t salivating at all the hard choices states are gonna have to make then you aren’t paying attention.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah. This is like the greatest opportunity for forced austerity in a long time. If you think they aren’t salivating at all the hard choices states are gonna have to make then you aren’t paying attention.

The only chance is if Trump and McConnell feel like they need to send out more TrumpChecks or whatever to help out their polling numbers and rescue their shot at holding the presidency and/or the senate, and the Dems can hang tough with state aid as a demand.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Third straight day of rapidly increasing new positives in King Co and in Seattle specifically. There's some reporting backlog and also an increased number of tests happening in the last week, so hopefully this is us catching more cases rather than the incidence going up (UW virology continues to report a low overall test positivity rate).

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 20, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Oldest Man posted:

Third straight day of rapidly increasing new positives in King Co and in Seattle specifically. There's some reporting backlog and also a significantly larger number of tests happening in the last week, so hopefully this is us catching more cases rather than the incidence going up (UW virology continues to report a low overall test positivity rate).

Good thing they went ahead and pushed on to phase 2 anyway! Gotta save the economy!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Good thing they went ahead and pushed on to phase 2 anyway! Gotta save the economy!

I wouldn't panic just yet but yeah seeing people sitting in restaurants while that number is getting bigger every day is making me sweat bullets. They should absolutely not have allowed indoor dine in seating to start until community spread was stopped entirely. One index case could infect 20+ people in that setting even with reduced occupancy (as if anyone is actually enforcing that).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Oldest Man posted:

I wouldn't panic just yet but yeah seeing people sitting in restaurants while that number is getting bigger every day is making me sweat bullets. They should absolutely not have allowed indoor dine in seating to start until community spread was stopped entirely. One index case could infect 20+ people in that setting even with reduced occupancy (as if anyone is actually enforcing that).

I'm still isolating due to being high risk but I am definitely worried about having to choose between going back to work and staying safe before too much longer.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I'm still isolating due to being high risk but I am definitely worried about having to choose between going back to work and staying safe before too much longer.

Anyone who isn't at this point is a loving idiot. I won't copy it here, but I saw picture of a COVID-19 diseased lung extracted from a healthy, fit woman in her 20s with no comorbidities who had it removed prior to a lung transplant. It looked like dog food. She lived so she isn't in the body count, and there are going to be literally hundreds of thousands like her with lifelong disabilities and post-illness complications who may never be able to return to their normal lives.

Today I saw 10+ people chilling in the coffee shop on my block with no masks on. It's really upsetting.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I went to the QFC at U Village today for groceries and the mall part was definitely alarmingly crowded though certainly less than your average summer Friday. On the other hand, mask usage was 95% if not more inside the store and also out in the mall from what I could see. Then driving home I saw like six tables of oldsters on Mama Melina’s patio. Psychopaths or idiots.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Eggnogium posted:

I went to the QFC at U Village today for groceries and the mall part was definitely alarmingly crowded though certainly less than your average summer Friday. On the other hand, mask usage was 95% if not more inside the store and also out in the mall from what I could see. Then driving home I saw like six tables of oldsters on Mama Melina’s patio. Psychopaths or idiots.

Mama Melina is a boomer trap so I’m not super shocked. You’ll also see a shitload of unmasked idiots over at Ravenna Brewing now that they’re seating people.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I just drove from King County out to the Wenatchee area to go take in some wilderness (saw a bear last night!), and once we got to Everett and beyond, you wouldn't have known there was any pandemic going on besides a few "we're in this together" signs around Gold Bar. Stopped at a busy gas station to get gas and snacks, and I was the only person wearing a mask and no distancing happening. The checkout had a sneeze barrier up, that was it. Didn't see a single mask driving through any of the towns and plenty of people going to open restaurants.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Down here in Thurston we are on track to clock as many infections this week as when we started stay-at-home, and test results are taking 4-8 days, so its actually worse than that. On the plus side lots of downtown Oly businesses got the PPP so all my friends and my wife are forced to go get exposed and make money for their bosses at no cost. On the plus side, my wife has never been more class conscious...

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Also, in case anyone is wondering. Yes, Vashon 'Anti-Vaxx' Island Facebook is WILD right now.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

George posted:

Mama Melina is a boomer trap so I’m not super shocked. You’ll also see a shitload of unmasked idiots over at Ravenna Brewing now that they’re seating people.

Fremont brewing got of the game when an employee got tested positive. The staff their are relieved they aren't going to be in this the next 2 weeks.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Eggnogium posted:

That mask usage would be super encouraging if we didn't immediately sabotage it by opening up indoor dining.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Christ Inslee, about loving time you require masks! I like what you’re doing, but you’re always a week or so late to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the Seattle thread, but gently caress:

This is amazing.

It doesn't actually *say* it, but I feel like reading between the lines pretty minimally brings you to the conclusions that:

1) The cops themselves decided to leave in response to the city shutting down the barricade.
2) In what was probably the most extreme act of looting related to these protests, the cops took the opportunity to steal a bunch of equipment from the precinct.