Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Geckos are so. Much. Fun. There's tonnes of room for activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There's a Mackerel with some clamps on the thruster cap that wouldn't come off even after pressing switches. Had to cut them. This may have been me messing something up though.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

explosivo posted:

I'd like a saw upgrade that let you easily draw a square and hit a button to have it cut that square out. Maybe like scroll the mouse wheel to increase the size of the square or something, then push the trigger to punch the shape out. That'd really help with some of the finicky panels that you have to cut out to get to the creamy nougaty support beams inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzliqFzK36E&t=44s

It even fits as an Evil Executive Extraction Device.

Skippy McPants posted:

It there any penalty for leaving huge chunks of ship on the table?

I think I'm gonna start ignoring stripped interior sections.

Nah. Once I'm down to just the frame and aluminum panels I leave it. If I have tons of time I'll chop it up and send it to the furnace, but otherwise I leave it.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
No you didn't mess up, they show up as cut points in structure view, just one of those things you just have to file away during your first sweep of a ship when figuring out the order you want to tackle things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There's a Mackerel with some clamps on the thruster cap that wouldn't come off even after pressing switches. Had to cut them. This may have been me messing something up though.
Oh yeah you always need to cut the cap even on medium and hards. It only ejects from the interior housing in the Mackerel.

Curiously they don't have the face plate on the Geckos I've done so far.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hardspace: Shipbreaker - Florida Finally Got What It Deserved

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't know if I want to bother with transport Geckoes anymore. All those chairs...:negative:

That's one thing I really hope gets improved in the full release. If you cut out a floor section full of chairs and drop it into the barge, it should always be able to see that you've got twenty-five chairs in there.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I just discovered that, with careless aim, it's possible to cause a reactor meltdown after the reactor is already on the barge.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

It there any penalty for leaving huge chunks of ship on the table?

I think I'm gonna start ignoring stripped interior sections.

there's no penalty, but there is opportunity cost

tethers are cheap, you might as well just huck the entire thing into the furnace/processor depending on what most of the composition is. even if 40% of the bulk is wasted, you profit on the other 60%

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

luxury handset posted:

there's no penalty, but there is opportunity cost

tethers are cheap, you might as well just huck the entire thing into the furnace/processor depending on what most of the composition is. even if 40% of the bulk is wasted, you profit on the other 60%

The cargo geckos in particular have a C shaped nanocarbon hull plate with an aluminium section on the top of the C held in place by a single inner nanocarbon bracket.

To pry it loose you basically have to make 4 cuts. 2 around the bracket and 2 more on the sides touching the plating. You still get 120kg of wastage unless you do a horizontal cut where the bracket meets the aluminium. This entire game is a nightmare for OCD people. I hate that the lady in the control tower goes “remember your training you put the wrong thing in” like there should be some acceptable wastage due to opportunity cost.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

The cargo geckos in particular have a C shaped nanocarbon hull plate with an aluminium section on the top of the C held in place by a single inner nanocarbon bracket.

To pry it loose you basically have to make 4 cuts. 2 around the bracket and 2 more on the sides touching the plating. You still get 120kg of wastage unless you do a horizontal cut where the bracket meets the aluminium. This entire game is a nightmare for OCD people. I hate that the lady in the control tower goes “remember your training you put the wrong thing in” like there should be some acceptable wastage due to opportunity cost.

in my headcanon my guy is smoking a cig inside his space helmet as he just kicks enormous piles of mixed metals into the processor

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Motion to rechristen the shipbreaking space yard as The Yeetery, any in favor

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Motion to rechristen the shipbreaking space yard as The Yeetery, any in favor

Hell, I'm in favor of that.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

luxury handset posted:

in my headcanon my guy is smoking a cig inside his space helmet as he just kicks enormous piles of mixed metals into the processor

Haha. The game is either a Starcraft or dead space prequel. Can’t decide which.

Also what does Yeet mean? I’m too old for this poo poo.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 19, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

luxury handset posted:

There's a datalog about how Lynx helpfully doesn't drug test and you absolutely shouldn't improve your performance by taking speedballs and LSD microdoses wink.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kraftwerk posted:

Also what does Yeet mean? I’m too old for this poo poo.

to hurl, throw, shove, or otherwise move something with considerable or, usually, excessive force

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Anybody actually grind down their debt to zero? I'm thinking if I can get a 1 shift gecko speed run to pull the reactor, that's 3 million per shift minimum. 4 if I can get the thrusters and nacelles. 16 million an hour. So 1 billion would be ...

62.5 hours. gently caress me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just realised if they add bigger and bigger ships (maybe dock upgrades like was hinted at at the start of the game, where if you do well, you'll be moved to scrapyards populated with other people?), this time limit is gonna be insane. Or can you literally do as many shifts as you want on the same ship? Imagine having an absolute behemoth waiting to be torn down and in a 15 minute shift, all you manage to do is get inside, create a hole to access the crawlspace, and remove one side panel.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Qubee posted:

Or can you literally do as many shifts as you want on the same ship? Imagine having an absolute behemoth waiting to be torn down and in a 15 minute shift, all you manage to do is get inside, create a hole to access the crawlspace, and remove one side panel.

this is already me with a Gecko lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hwurmp posted:

this is already me with a Gecko lol
:same:

I can't wait to see speedruns of it but my current Gecko pace is outerhull day 1, expensive trimming day 2, inner hull and junk trim day 3. Can't wait to spend in game weeks tearing the copper wiring out of jumbo jets.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
As to the timer issue, let the players upgrade it with either linxs bucks or lots of money.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I only just realised that the 3 profile slots on the main menu are for different limits for respawns

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Wait, you can do stuff with the beams? Is that what I've been missing trying to remove panels?

How do you cut those?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I was vaguely disappointed when I entered my name as Union and it let me play, after the sign-up sequence told me that anti-corporate or pro-union usernames would be flagged.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I've got two kids who usually like to watch games; my older guy loves blowing things up in KSP, so I figure this could be a good game for them. Is there any sketchy plot stuff that might be iffy for kids? My younger guy is 6.

korofrog
Dec 15, 2006
smell my face!!!

Skippy McPants posted:

Cutting tool. You need to slice through the airlock compartment itself to free the hull section. (make sure you take the door panel out first, dey worth monies!)

Edit: oh, also, make drat sure the airlock is purged too. If you cut while it's still full of air half the ship'll go boom.

I'm still unsure how to remove door panels by itself. Or the Air pressure regs. Seems like I'd have to cut the panel and then cut the devices out to send to the barge.

Also...I'm not sure if this was a bug, but I used the grapple pulse on accident when trying to open the airlock and blew the panel right off....couldn't get inside to vent the ship so I tried to do a small cut on the cockpit glass. That was not a good idea....

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Velius posted:

I've got two kids who usually like to watch games; my older guy loves blowing things up in KSP, so I figure this could be a good game for them. Is there any sketchy plot stuff that might be iffy for kids? My younger guy is 6.

Plot is minimal at the moment. There's no blood, guts, or nakedness. Optional collectible diaries have an occasional bad swear.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Qubee posted:

Are they planning on adding co-op? Imagine how amazing it'd be tearing down a huge monstrosity of a ship with a friend.

Devs have mentioned they're entire focused on single-player experience at this time and they're interested in doing it in the future along with VR.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I was vaguely disappointed when I entered my name as Union and it let me play, after the sign-up sequence told me that anti-corporate or pro-union usernames would be flagged.

Join the Space IWW comrade

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Only two more certifications to go! And what an adventure it was to get that latest one since I needed lots of electronics which means I had to focus on the passenger geckos, which I enjoy less than the cargo ones. I'm sorry to say the plate-o-chairs tricks hasn't been working for me at all, they never land in a way that gets all that many chairs counted. On the other hand I'm pretty happy now I've figured out a foolproof tether arrangement to dismantle the back of geckos.

I wish the game would give you some macquerels at higher grades once in a while, dismantling them in free mode just isn't the same. Anyway, I'm loving the game and with more ships it'll just be wonderful.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
does money.. do anything? i owe some incomprehensible sum that im chipping away at, but im totally free to spend any amount i please on whatever. other than certification, i guess

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Money and your lack of debt as well as your solid history of high profitability defines your life as a success or failure and should be your greatest goal and defining your every endeavor.

In this game though its just a high score.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Qubee posted:

Or can you literally do as many shifts as you want on the same ship?

You can literally do as many shifts as you want on the same ship. The day count actually means how many days that ship will be available to be chosen. Once it's in your yard it stays there until you quit or select another.

korofrog posted:

I'm still unsure how to remove door panels by itself. Or the Air pressure regs. Seems like I'd have to cut the panel and then cut the devices out to send to the barge.

You're gonna :doh: but point your grapple at the atmo reg, hold lmb and it'll rip right off the panel.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
honestly this life doesnt seem all that bad if you survive the first few shots. you work 15 minutes a day, death is probably instantaneous, and once you buy all your equipment costs dont even seem that high. they dont even charge you for new ships! thank you LYNX

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hell, once you get the ability to cut through the hull you can quite literally just decompress areas of the ship and then throw entire parts into the processor

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

im guessing that at some point they are going to rebalance the money you earn against the valuable stuff you destroy by doing that (for good reason, its currently not very good) and royally piss off a huge amount of the playerbase that are already complaining about timers

like a darkest dungeon adds corpses level of people being mad

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Verviticus posted:

honestly this life doesnt seem all that bad if you survive the first few shots. you work 15 minutes a day, death is probably instantaneous, and once you buy all your equipment costs dont even seem that high. they dont even charge you for new ships! thank you LYNX

One of the audiologs mentions how most workers last about five years. You start out fresh and strong, then the pace of work and muscle and bone decay from zero g living mean near the end of a few years you're basically useless, make money while you can.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

oh yeah i guess i didnt really think about the atrophy youd experience living in zero-g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

threelemmings posted:

One of the audiologs mentions how most workers last about five years. You start out fresh and strong, then the pace of work and muscle and bone decay from zero g living mean near the end of a few years you're basically useless, make money while you can.
I was gonna point that out too, but after thinking for a bit about how this whole thing's been set up I suspect if you don't pay off your debt after five years you're probably just incinerated and your memories copied to a fresh one G body.